OT: Good news servers??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have access to my old news
    server (ATT). I remember someone mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've
    emailed already.

    Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
    access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
    > mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
    already.

    > Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    I've been using newsguy for $5.95 a month. Works great.

    http://www.newsguy.com

    my cable modem service came with a giganews account but I can't get to it from work.

    Mike

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > I've been using newsguy for $5.95 a month. Works great.

    Add another to the list of satisfied newsguy users.

    > http://www.newsguy.com

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
    access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
    > mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
    already.

    > Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No porn groups,
    but if you can accept that it's a fine service.

    Matt

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:03:14 -0600, MattB wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
    > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
    >> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
    > already.
    >
    > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No porn groups,
    > but if you can accept that it's a fine service.

    Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the porn groups were
    there, though. ;-)

  6. Brian Kraft

    Brian Kraft Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    >So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have access to my old news
    >server (ATT). I remember someone mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've
    >emailed already.

    I've had an account there since 1998. I won't pay for a news server.

    >Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?

    I got Qwest DSL in February and their news server is at least as bad if not worse than Prodigy's. At
    the moment, I'm downloading a DivX movie (Rabbit Proof Fence) through a dozen free or open news
    servers simultaneously; my DSL line is max'd out at 75KB/s. Some of the free news servers I list
    towards the bottom of http://www.nyx.net/~bkraft/
    --
    Brian Kraft Grand Junction
    --

  7. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

  8. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:03:14 -0600, MattB wrote:
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
    > > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
    > >> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
    > > already.
    > >
    > > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No porn
    > > groups, but if you can accept that it's a fine service.
    >
    > Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the porn groups were
    > there, though. ;-)

    Well, me niether, of course! I just heard that somewhere. I swear!

    > --
    > -BB-

    Matt (oh, and I think it's in their terms of service thing...)

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
    > > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
    > >> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
    > > already.
    > >
    > > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No porn
    > > groups, but if you can accept that it's a fine service.
    >
    > Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the porn groups were
    > there, though. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > -BB-

    hehehe...nice one BB!

    Thanks for the tips (all of you), but news.cis.dfn.de hooked me up in under 48 hrs and the service
    seems to be at least as good as I had....excellent! I'll keep Newsguy on file for future reference
    should I did it.
    --
    Slacker

  10. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
    > > > already.
    > > >
    > > > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper
    than
    > > > NewsGuy. No porn groups, but if you can accept that it's a fine
    service.

    > > Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the porn groups
    > > were there, though. ;-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > -BB-
    >

    > hehehe...nice one BB!
    >
    > Thanks for the tips (all of you), but news.cis.dfn.de hooked me up in
    under 48 hrs and the service seems to be at least as good as I
    > had....excellent! I'll keep Newsguy on file for future reference should I
    did it.
    > --
    > Slacker

    Yeah good now but wait till Rimmer starts sucking up all the bandwidth on Tuesday! ;^)

    Mike

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > Thanks for the tips (all of you), but news.cis.dfn.de hooked me up in
    > under 48 hrs and the service seems to be at least as good as I
    > > had....excellent! I'll keep Newsguy on file for future reference should I
    > did it.
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > Yeah good now but wait till Rimmer starts sucking up all the bandwidth on Tuesday! ;^)
    >
    > Mike

    Lol !!! So true.
    --
    Slacker