OT: Good news servers??

Slacker

Guest
So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have access to my old news
server (ATT). I remember someone mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've
emailed already.

Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?

--
Slacker

> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
already.

> Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?
>
> --
> Slacker

I've been using newsguy for $5.95 a month. Works great.

http://www.newsguy.com

my cable modem service came with a giganews account but I can't get to it from work.

Mike

> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
already.

> Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?
>
> --
> Slacker

I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No **** groups,
but if you can accept that it's a fine service.

Matt

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:03:14 -0600, MattB wrote:
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
> access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
>> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
> already.
>
> I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No **** groups,
> but if you can accept that it's a fine service.

Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the **** groups were
there, though. ;-)

Slacker wrote:

>So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have access to my old news
>server (ATT). I remember someone mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've
>emailed already.

I've had an account there since 1998. I won't pay for a news server.

>Anyone have any other suggestions because SBC's news service blows?

I got Qwest DSL in February and their news server is at least as bad if not worse than Prodigy's. At
the moment, I'm downloading a DivX movie (Rabbit Proof Fence) through a dozen free or open news
servers simultaneously; my DSL line is max'd out at 75KB/s. Some of the free news servers I list
towards the bottom of http://www.nyx.net/~bkraft/
--
Brian Kraft Grand Junction
--

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:03:14 -0600, MattB wrote:
> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
> > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
> >> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
> > already.
> >
> > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No ****
> > groups, but if you can accept that it's a fine service.
>
> Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the **** groups were
> there, though. ;-)

Well, me niether, of course! I just heard that somewhere. I swear!

> --
> -BB-

Matt (oh, and I think it's in their terms of service thing...)

> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> So, I finally got my DSL up and running, but realized I no longer have
> > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
> >> mentioning http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a good ns, which I've emailed
> > already.
> >
> > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper than NewsGuy. No ****
> > groups, but if you can accept that it's a fine service.
>
> Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the **** groups were
> there, though. ;-)
>
> --
> -BB-

hehehe...nice one BB!

Thanks for the tips (all of you), but news.cis.dfn.de hooked me up in under 48 hrs and the service
seems to be at least as good as I had....excellent! I'll keep Newsguy on file for future reference
should I did it.
--
Slacker

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > access to my old news server (ATT). I remember someone
> > > already.
> > >
> > > I think you're on the right track. It's what I use and it's cheaper
than
> > > NewsGuy. No **** groups, but if you can accept that it's a fine
service.

> > Same here; I've been using them for awhile. I'd never checked to see whether the **** groups
> > were there, though. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > -BB-
>

> hehehe...nice one BB!
>
> Thanks for the tips (all of you), but news.cis.dfn.de hooked me up in
under 48 hrs and the service seems to be at least as good as I
> had....excellent! I'll keep Newsguy on file for future reference should I
did it.
> --
> Slacker

Yeah good now but wait till Rimmer starts sucking up all the bandwidth on Tuesday! ;^)

Mike

> > Thanks for the tips (all of you), but news.cis.dfn.de hooked me up in
> under 48 hrs and the service seems to be at least as good as I
> > had....excellent! I'll keep Newsguy on file for future reference should I
> did it.
> > --
> > Slacker
> >

> Yeah good now but wait till Rimmer starts sucking up all the bandwidth on Tuesday! ;^)
>
> Mike

Lol !!! So true.
--
Slacker