OT: Google Earth ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by elyob, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. elyob

    elyob Guest

    Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in Google
    Earth?

    Tags:

  2. Bob Downie

    Bob Downie Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in Google
    >Earth?

    Now you mention it yes.
    --
    Bob Downie
    Downie GeoScience Ltd.

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Bob Downie wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >> Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    >> Google
    >> Earth?

    > Now you mention it yes.

    No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings
    or streets. :(

    Stan Cox

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:

    > Bob Downie wrote:
    >
    >> In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    >>> Google
    >>> Earth?

    >> Now you mention it yes.

    > No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings or
    > streets. :(

    Maybe that was the huge improvement he was talking about!

    :)

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email

  5. gentlegreen

    gentlegreen Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Downie wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    >>> Google
    >>> Earth?

    >> Now you mention it yes.

    > No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings or
    > streets. :(

    You can almost see birds on the roofs of Riga (Latvia) - I was chatting to
    someone from there on ICQ but I didn't quite persuade them to wave out of
    their window ;-)

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Stan Cox
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Bob Downie wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]ws1.homechoice.co.uk>, elyob
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    >>> Google Earth?

    >> Now you mention it yes.

    > No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings
    > or streets. :(

    It's very patchy. The house I grew up in in Edinburgh is extremely clear
    - you can see the garden paths. A few streets away there's nothing but
    blur.

    ;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
    -- Think Droid

  7. Eiron

    Eiron Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in Google Earth?

    The pictures of my house are much more detailed but still about three
    years old.

    --
    Eiron

    I have no spirit to play with you; your dearth of judgment renders you
    tedious - Ben Jonson.

  8. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    > Google Earth?

    In some limited areas there appears to be better images. Not the entire
    country.

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  9. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <_ickf[email protected]>, Stan Cox
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Downie wrote:
    >>> In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    >>> <[email protected]> writes

    >>> Now you mention it yes.

    >> No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings
    >> or streets. :(

    > It's very patchy. The house I grew up in in Edinburgh is extremely
    > clear - you can see the garden paths. A few streets away there's
    > nothing but blur.

    I take it you grew up on the outskirts of Edinburgh, then. IIRC the high res
    stuff covers England and Wales and Glasgow and Edinburgh. This was from
    terraserver.msn.com a few years ago, though. Useless for figuring out the
    routes I'd done in the Pentlands.

    --
    Ambrose

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Nigel Cliffe wrote:
    > In some limited areas there appears to be better images. Not the entire
    > country.

    A sharp line has appeared in my area. To the west of the line, it is
    now possible to resolve all of the roads and even a few of the bigger
    buildings. The area to the east of the line is still little more than a
    patchwork of green and brown blobs.

    By identifying the ring road to the west of the line, I was able to work
    out where my house is. It's about 1/2 mile to the east of the line.
    And as my house is the most westerly point on my commute, I can't
    resolve the ride to work, either :-(

    --
    Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

  11. gentlegreen

    gentlegreen Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    > Google Earth?

    I just checked my locale and yes - it does seem a lot better than last time
    I checked ... though a local building site shows the photo to be a year or
    two old. Following the Wikepedia cycling thing I'm planning to start writing
    "alternative" GE contributions :)

  12. p.k.

    p.k. Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Nigel Cliffe wrote:
    >> In some limited areas there appears to be better images. Not the
    >> entire country.

    > A sharp line has appeared in my area. To the west of the line, it is
    > now possible to resolve all of the roads and even a few of the bigger
    > buildings. The area to the east of the line is still little more
    > than a patchwork of green and brown blobs.
    >
    > By identifying the ring road to the west of the line, I was able to
    > work out where my house is. It's about 1/2 mile to the east of the
    > line. And as my house is the most westerly point on my commute, I
    > can't resolve the ride to work, either :-(

    I can clearly see the kids paddling pool & climbing frame and even the
    octagonal garden table in my garden! More still -individual stepping stone
    across my neighbours garden!
    the 3-d effect of the tilted shot from the camera angle is astonishing!

    pk

  13. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > I take it you grew up on the outskirts of Edinburgh, then. IIRC the high
    > res stuff covers England and Wales and Glasgow and Edinburgh. This was
    > from terraserver.msn.com a few years ago, though. Useless for figuring
    > out the routes I'd done in the Pentlands.

    The last time I looked (Which was a fair few weeks back), the industrial
    outskirts of the city to the west including Queensferry and the Forth
    bridges were at a higher res than the city centre. I'll have to fire it
    up again and take a look at what's changed.

    Jon

  14. The streamed positions of railway lines are RUBBISH! (Magenta lines)

    There's hardly a line in the vicinity of Euston Road, London NW1 at all,
    while you can see three rail termini...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  15. Stan Cox <[email protected]>typed

    > Bob Downie wrote:
    > > In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    > > <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >> Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    > >> Google
    > >> Earth?

    > > Now you mention it yes.

    > No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings
    > or streets. :(

    > Stan Cox

    Christchurch, Dorset is nice; why it's better than Bournemouth, Poole or
    my part of the Metropolis beats me!

    What *is* that Rayleigh place where Beaconsfield is supposed to be??

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  16. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Eiron wrote:
    > elyob wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in
    >> Google Earth?

    > The pictures of my house are much more detailed but still about three
    > years old.

    From an interview I heard with someone from Google Earth, that is
    intentional, and it will stay as two-three years old satelite data for the
    forseeable future.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  17. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    James Annan wrote:
    > Stan Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Downie wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <[email protected]>, elyob
    >>> <[email protected]> writes

    >>> Now you mention it yes.

    >> No, when I zoom in on Brighton I still cant see individual buildings
    >> or streets. :(
    >>

    > Maybe that was the huge improvement he was talking about!
    >
    > :)
    >
    > James

    :)

    Stan cox

  18. On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 03:47:44 -0000, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    said in <[email protected]>:

    >Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in Google
    >Earth?

    Wow! I can pinpoint the date to a couple of months - between next
    door but one getting their loft conversion done and us buying the
    girlie pink Volvo. You can clearly see the old green Volvo parked on
    the drive!

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  19. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 03:47:44 -0000, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    > said in <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>Anyone else suddenly noticed a /huge/ improvement in the UK stuff in Google
    >>Earth?

    > Wow! I can pinpoint the date to a couple of months - between next
    > door but one getting their loft conversion done and us buying the
    > girlie pink Volvo. You can clearly see the old green Volvo parked on
    > the drive!
    >
    > Guy

    So the big question is....which couple of months?

    Stan Cox

  20. "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The streamed positions of railway lines are RUBBISH! (Magenta

    lines)

    > There's hardly a line in the vicinity of Euston Road, London NW1 at

    all,
    > while you can see three rail termini...

    Last time I looked the end of the Northern Line tube had been
    rerouted from High Barnet, and joined to the East Coast Main Line at
    New Barnet. Watch for tube trains at Waverley Station

    The Mill Hill branch had something odd done to it as well. I think
    it had been rebuilt on the old route to Edgware, and maybe beyond,
    and maybe had Thamelink trains routed onto it as well.

    Jeremy Parker