OT: Google Earth ...



H

Helen Deborah Vecht

Guest
"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]>typed



> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > The streamed positions of railway lines are RUBBISH! (Magenta

> lines)
> >
> > There's hardly a line in the vicinity of Euston Road, London NW1 at

> all,
> > while you can see three rail termini...


> Last time I looked the end of the Northern Line tube had been
> rerouted from High Barnet, and joined to the East Coast Main Line at
> New Barnet. Watch for tube trains at Waverley Station


> The Mill Hill branch had something odd done to it as well. I think
> it had been rebuilt on the old route to Edgware, and maybe beyond,
> and maybe had Thamelink trains routed onto it as well.


> Jeremy Parker



The railway positions are still rubbish, but bear a vague resemblance to
the general direction of the lines.

My locality has been *vastly* improved. You can see I am carfree but the
neighbours have 5 cars on their forecourt and one on the street. Image
was acquired before neighbours' extension was built in 2002.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
p.k. wrote:

> I can clearly see the kids paddling pool & climbing frame and even the
> octagonal garden table in my garden! More still -individual stepping stone
> across my neighbours garden!


I can see my old white Volvo in the driveway, even the dirty patch on
the roof. 51 deg 26' 18.98" N, 0 deg 20' 54.38" W.

Gone now. Sue sold it to a tarmac gypsy for 60 quid. In fact he hasn't
been round yet because the driveways are not red. He relaid nearly all
of them with red brick.

Meanwhile at the London Gliding Club there's a competition on as there
are guest trailers parked and gliders being rigged at the east run
launch point. The southwest run is active, there's an aerotow about to
go, and I swear you can just make out the wingtip holder on the port
wing. At the far end of the field is a landed glider, and in front of
him by the field boundary is the 6 drum Van Gelder winch at 51 51'58.17"
N, 0 33'03.35" W. My caravan is hidden under a tree at 51 52' 20.86" N,
0 32' 44.28" W. The white lion of Whipsnade Zoo is prominent a little
way along the ridge at 51 50' 54.84" N, 0 33' 16.24" W. A few hundred
yards further west and the resolution abruptly changes.

> the 3-d effect of the tilted shot from the camera angle is astonishing!


Yes that's amazing, especially if you choose a lumpy bit and turn the
terrain feature on.

--
Dave...
 
H

Helen Deborah Vecht

Guest
Preserved for posterity are my petrolhead neighbours' tyre tracks,
running obliquely across the grass verge at 51.59715°N, 0.270308°W ...

That nice council in Brent has now put up wooden posts, to protect the verges.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.
 
G

Graeme Dods

Guest
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:42:13 GMT, Stan Cox wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> Wow! I can pinpoint the date to a couple of months - between next
>> door but one getting their loft conversion done and us buying the
>> girlie pink Volvo. You can clearly see the old green Volvo parked on
>> the drive!
>>


> So the big question is....which couple of months?


It'll be different months/years for different locations. This question
cropped up a while back when someone found a site with detailed aerial
photographs of Edinburgh and posted it to ed.general. Much debate ensued as
to the year, then the time of year, then to the time of day! (thanks to the
floral clock in Princes Street Gardens which was *almost* readable)

It provided *much* higher resolution photos than Google Earth of the area
of Edinburgh I was looking at (Cramond). You could see my big red canoe
down the side of the house, whereas with Google Earth you're straining to
make out the house.

Graeme
 
D

David Martin

Guest
Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> > It's very patchy. The house I grew up in in Edinburgh is extremely
> > clear - you can see the garden paths. A few streets away there's
> > nothing but blur.

>
> I take it you grew up on the outskirts of Edinburgh, then. IIRC the high res
> stuff covers England and Wales and Glasgow and Edinburgh. This was from
> terraserver.msn.com a few years ago, though. Useless for figuring out the
> routes I'd done in the Pentlands.


Dundee is now hi-res but the photos are from 1999 or 2000. Definitely
from before or as we moved in. Nice and clear though, absolute
resolution would be about 15-20cm.

...d
 
P

p.k.

Guest
Dave Kahn wrote:
>
>> the 3-d effect of the tilted shot from the camera angle is
>> astonishing!

>
> Yes that's amazing, especially if you choose a lumpy bit and turn the
> terrain feature on.


Try flying round Everest!

pk
 
H

Helen Deborah Vecht

Guest
"David Martin" <[email protected]>typed


> Dundee is now hi-res but the photos are from 1999 or 2000. Definitely
> from before or as we moved in. Nice and clear though, absolute
> resolution would be about 15-20cm.


I'd agree with that estimate for my neighbourhood. Helps settle a
diispute with partner...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.
 
T

Tim Hall

Guest
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:20:19 +0800, Graeme Dods
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>It provided *much* higher resolution photos than Google Earth of the area
>of Edinburgh I was looking at (Cramond). You could see my big red canoe
>down the side of the house, whereas with Google Earth you're straining to
>make out the house.
>


We had one of those aerial photo punters come to our door a couple of
years ago, touting his wares. We could tell the photo was taken while
we were on holiday, as (1) our car wasn't there and (2) the Cheery
Chippy's van, who was building wardrobes in our bedroom, was.


Tim
 
P

p.k.

Guest
Hairs on the back of neck time......

Can someone estimate time of day from the shadows of the images in Richmond
park, London?

Empty office carparks, cars parked at churches, my wife's car o/s house, all
say Sunday. (No discontinuities between areas = same pass shots)

Shadows say morning? But what time?

Why do I want to know?

Because there are three cyclists almost at the top of Cardiac Hill (near
Isabella car park)

we cycle that hill every Sunday morning.

pk
 
T

the.Mark

Guest
p.k. wrote:
> Dave Kahn wrote:
>>
>>> the 3-d effect of the tilted shot from the camera angle is
>>> astonishing!

>>
>> Yes that's amazing, especially if you choose a lumpy bit and
>> turn the terrain feature on.

>
> Try flying round Everest!
>
> pk


Flying through the Grand Canyon is good too.
--
Cheers
the.Mark
 
D

David Martin

Guest
p.k. wrote:

> Can someone estimate time of day from the shadows of the images in Richmond
> park, London?
>
> Empty office carparks, cars parked at churches, my wife's car o/s house, all
> say Sunday. (No discontinuities between areas = same pass shots)
>
> Shadows say morning? But what time?


About 9:20 GMT +/- 20 minutes The sun is at an angle of 140 +/- 5
degrees (ish)

Without knowing heights of objects, it is hard to estimate the time of
year from the angle of the sun. However, my parents have their gazebo
up in the back garden so it must be during the summer. The images over
New Malden look a bit later from the angle of the sun.

> Why do I want to know?
>
> Because there are three cyclists almost at the top of Cardiac Hill (near
> Isabella car park)


Oh, on the Tasmin Trail.. With the shadows it is possible to see that
they are heading uphill. (Well, to see which way they are heading and
knowing that that is uphill...)

> we cycle that hill every Sunday morning.


Hope this helps

...d
 
D

Dave Larrington

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn
([email protected]) wrote:

> I can see my old white Volvo in the driveway, even the dirty patch on
> the roof. 51 deg 26' 18.98" N, 0 deg 20' 54.38" W.


I can clearly make out the sunroof on my old Felicia, and also my old
trailer, which lives on as Auxiliary Bikeshed to the Sidwell Family in
Nottingham... 51 deg 34' 34.69" N, 0 deg 02' 01.12 W

--
Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
Where's the gin?
 
P

p.k.

Guest
David Martin wrote:
> p.k. wrote:
>
>> Can someone estimate time of day from the shadows of the images in
>> Richmond park, London?
>>
>> Empty office carparks, cars parked at churches, my wife's car o/s
>> house, all say Sunday. (No discontinuities between areas = same pass
>> shots)
>>
>> Shadows say morning? But what time?

>
> About 9:20 GMT +/- 20 minutes The sun is at an angle of 140 +/- 5
> degrees (ish)
>



Ummmm.....

From building work on the school i was governor of i can put the date as
last week july/first week august

Does that help tie it down better?



pk
 
D

David Martin

Guest
p.k. wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > p.k. wrote:
> >> Can someone estimate time of day from the shadows of the images in
> >> Richmond park, London?


> >> Empty office carparks, cars parked at churches, my wife's car o/s
> >> house, all say Sunday. (No discontinuities between areas = same pass
> >> shots)
> >>
> >> Shadows say morning? But what time?

> >
> > About 9:20 GMT +/- 20 minutes The sun is at an angle of 140 +/- 5
> > degrees (ish)


> Ummmm.....
>
> From building work on the school i was governor of i can put the date as
> last week july/first week august
>
> Does that help tie it down better?


Which year?

...d
 
P

p.k.

Guest
David Martin wrote:
> p.k. wrote:
>> David Martin wrote:
>>> p.k. wrote:
>>>> Can someone estimate time of day from the shadows of the images in
>>>> Richmond park, London?

>
>>>> Empty office carparks, cars parked at churches, my wife's car o/s
>>>> house, all say Sunday. (No discontinuities between areas = same
>>>> pass shots)
>>>>
>>>> Shadows say morning? But what time?
>>>
>>> About 9:20 GMT +/- 20 minutes The sun is at an angle of 140 +/- 5
>>> degrees (ish)

>
>> Ummmm.....
>>
>> From building work on the school i was governor of i can put the
>> date as last week july/first week august
>>
>> Does that help tie it down better?

>
> Which year?
>
> ..d



2001 I think

that fits with the school work best i can remeber and tallies with the
google picture datee posed re the more dteailed info.

pk
 
J

Jeremy Parker

Guest
"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote

>
> My locality has been *vastly* improved. You can see I am carfree

but the
> neighbours have 5 cars on their forecourt and one on the street.

Image
> was acquired before neighbours' extension was built in 2002.


Well here in northern Barnet, at mile 11 3/4 on the old Great North
Road, I'm 4 miles outside the hi-res zone, although the resolution
is better than it was, and much better than High in the Sky or
Barnet's own GIS. On the other hand the Open Street Map's
surveyors, whose centre of gravity seems to be about University
College, London, have now penetrated past here, past the M25 even,
and surveyed a few things even past Potters Bar, up to Hatfield
(about mile 20 on the old Great North Road). See
www.openstreetmap.org

This thing is addictive.

I haven't had much success with elevation. I turn on the elevation
layer in Google Earth, and my house dissolves into fuzz. Why is
that? Flying around the Avon Gorge in Bristol, or the Mather Gorge,
below the Great Falls of the Potomac, outside Washington DC, looks
most odd.

The Washington Monument has great elevation effects. Downtown DC has
two elevation layers, an extra one drawn in, from radar data, or
something. The result is two Washington Monuments, both emerging
from the same piece of ground at about 20 degrees from the
horizontal, in opposite directions, like a giant V-sign, a tenth of a
mile high. I figure that if you were in the White House Oval Office,
looking at President Bush, you would see them out of the window,
neatly framing his head, assuming they actually existed.

Which raises the question, how can one get elevation data? The
Scottish Mountaineering Club has done it, see www.smc.org.uk, and
converted it into something call and image file (.img), whatever that
is. I found a NASA site once, but seem to have mislaid my notes, and
anyway, it refused to download.

Jeremy Parker
 
A

Ambrose Nankivell

Guest
Jeremy Parker wrote:
> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>
>> My locality has been *vastly* improved. You can see I am carfree but
>> the neighbours have 5 cars on their forecourt and one on the street.
>> Image was acquired before neighbours' extension was built in 2002.

>
> Well here in northern Barnet, at mile 11 3/4 on the old Great North
> Road, I'm 4 miles outside the hi-res zone, although the resolution
> is better than it was, and much better than High in the Sky or
> Barnet's own GIS. On the other hand the Open Street Map's
> surveyors, whose centre of gravity seems to be about University
> College, London, have now penetrated past here, past the M25 even,
> and surveyed a few things even past Potters Bar, up to Hatfield
> (about mile 20 on the old Great North Road). See
> www.openstreetmap.org


Someone went to IKEA in Wednesbury as well.

Hmm, maybe I should get a few streetnames written in for my local area.


--
Ambrose
 
J

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:32:56 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>I can see my old white Volvo in the driveway, even the dirty patch on
>the roof. 51 deg 26' 18.98" N, 0 deg 20' 54.38" W.


51º28'14.38"N, 0º58'31.52"W finds me. Practically next door :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is
simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken