OT: Google

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Mallard, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    Sorry to be so OT but, anyone else having trouble with google this weekend? Just wondering whether
    it's them or me.

    --
    Cheerful Peddling John Mallard

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > > Sorry to be so OT but, anyone else having trouble with google this weekend?

    Yep

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
    have occurred during transmission

  5. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    "John Mallard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry to be so OT but, anyone else having trouble with google this weekend? Just wondering whether
    > it's them or me.

    I've seen a number of complaints on different newsgroups from btinternet and btopenworld customers
    who are having difficulty in accessing google recently.

    Some of them seem to think this is connected to BT's recent link up with Yahoo, but I don't know if
    there's any truth in that.

    --
    Carol Hague "Neither love nor evil conquers all, but evil cheats more." Laurell K. Hamilton,
    _Cerulean Sins_

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    In article <1g86ihe.mqaibu13lg06qN%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I've seen a number of complaints on different newsgroups from btinternet and btopenworld customers
    > who are having difficulty in accessing google recently.
    >
    > Some of them seem to think this is connected to BT's recent link up with Yahoo, but I don't know
    > if there's any truth in that.

    Interesting!

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
    have occurred during transmission

  7. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:27:46 +0000, Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "John Mallard" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry to be so OT but, anyone else having trouble with google this weekend? Just wondering
    > > whether it's them or me.
    >
    > I've seen a number of complaints on different newsgroups from btinternet and btopenworld
    > customers who are having difficulty in accessing google recently.
    >
    > Some of them seem to think this is connected to BT's recent link up with Yahoo, but I don't know
    > if there's any truth in that.

    Well, www.bt.com seemed to be offline for most of the weekend, and I don't think there's any need to
    ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence. If BT corporate can't make its
    own web site work, I don't suppose getting to anyone elses was high on their list of priorities.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:22:51 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I've seen a number of complaints on different newsgroups from btinternet and btopenworld
    >> customers who are having difficulty in accessing google recently.

    >> Some of them seem to think this is connected to BT's recent link up with Yahoo, but I don't know
    >> if there's any truth in that.

    >Well, www.bt.com seemed to be offline for most of the weekend, and I don't think there's any need
    >to ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence. If BT corporate can't make
    >its own web site work, I don't suppose getting to anyone elses was high on their list of
    >priorities.

    BT Openwoe is separate from BT, though. Openwoe were cack long before the Yahoo linkup.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  9. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:22:51 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Well, www.bt.com seemed to be offline for most of the weekend, and I don't think there's any need
    > >to ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence. If BT corporate can't make
    > >its own web site work, I don't suppose getting to anyone elses was high on their list of
    > >priorities.

    Seems reasonable. I was just passing on what I'd heard elsewhere, for what it was worth.

    > BT Openwoe is separate from BT, though. Openwoe were cack long before the Yahoo linkup.

    Someone on another group referred to them as btopenwound, which seems fairly accurate. We used them
    as our ISP for a while, but soon decided they were even less use than a chocolate teapot (which
    would at least be edible) and decamped to Force 9, who will, when there is a problem, actually
    answer questions comprehensibly :)

    --
    Carol Hague "One evil at at time. That's the best I can do." - Crichton, _Farscape_