OT Gyms and Germs

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mypyrex, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Mypyrex

    Mypyrex Guest

    I try to go to a gym regularly but this year I have had two colds within the
    space of a month. As I am retired I could not have picked up a bug "in the
    office".

    Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym. I do not shower
    and change there. When I am out in the hills I take a bottle of "something"
    with which I can clean my hands(forget what its called". Is it worth using
    that when I finish my workout?

    Tags:

  2. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "Mypyrex" <[email protected](no-trousers)fsmail.net> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    >I try to go to a gym regularly but this year I have had two colds within
    >the space of a month. As I am retired I could not have picked up a bug "in
    >the office".
    >
    > Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym. I do not
    > shower and change there. When I am out in the hills I take a bottle of
    > "something" with which I can clean my hands(forget what its called". Is it
    > worth using that when I finish my workout?

    Are you sure it isn't Avian Flu ;-)

    You get colds from other people or from things that other people have
    touched. The more people you meet (like in a gym) the bigger the chance of
    catching a cold. And there's a higher risk in winter because people have
    less resistance.
    It's /good/ to catch a cold now and then.

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  3. "Mypyrex" <[email protected](no-trousers)fsmail.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I try to go to a gym regularly but this year I have had two colds within the space of a
    > month. As I am retired I could not have picked up a bug "in the office".
    >
    > Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym. I do not shower and change
    > there. When I am out in the hills I take a bottle of "something" with which I can clean
    > my hands(forget what its called". Is it worth using that when I finish my workout?

    I teach 120 pupils a day and have had the odd sniffle but have not had a cold or
    flu for 9yrs. Also MTBing and walking/running all year outside helps build up fitness.

    I avoid stuffy humid sweaty places.

    'Spare a thought for all the amercians sitting in trafficjams driving to a gym
    to ride a stationary bike' - Amercian congressmen.

    Nick

  4. Theo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Mypyrex" <[email protected](no-trousers)fsmail.net> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I try to go to a gym regularly but this year I have had two colds within
    >>the space of a month. As I am retired I could not have picked up a bug "in
    >>the office".
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym. I do not
    >> shower and change there. When I am out in the hills I take a bottle of
    >> "something" with which I can clean my hands(forget what its called". Is it
    >> worth using that when I finish my workout?

    > Are you sure it isn't Avian Flu ;-)

    > You get colds from other people or from things that other people have
    > touched. The more people you meet (like in a gym) the bigger the chance of
    > catching a cold. And there's a higher risk in winter because people have
    > less resistance.
    > It's /good/ to catch a cold now and then.

    I considerably reduced my incidence of colds after learning that an
    important infection route was first of all touching something that
    some germy bastard had touched, then later touching one of my mucous
    membranes, such as wiping eyes, picking nose, or using my fingers to
    put something in my mouth. The precaution is simple -- if I've been in
    a public place, wash hands before before approaching face with them.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  5. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    "Mypyrex" <[email protected](no-trousers)fsmail.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I try to go to a gym regularly but this year I have had two colds within
    >the space of a month. As I am retired I could not have picked up a bug "in
    >the office".
    >
    > Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym. I do not
    > shower and change there. When I am out in the hills I take a bottle of
    > "something" with which I can clean my hands(forget what its called". Is it
    > worth using that when I finish my workout?

    Actually, the more heathier you try to be the more likely you'll have colds
    and flu. In the Gym, germs can spread by exhillation from panting hard
    whilst lifting heavy weights or pulling the rowing machines. Sweat breeds
    germs because it's usually a warm and slightly damp atmosphere, and youll
    touch the machines or weights others have dropped sweat on.

    Also, it's well know that highly trained athlete's immune systems can't cope
    with the the regular germs...ie, notice Olympic games and how many come up
    with stomach bugs, colds, coughs and general illness.

    As Theo mentions a regular cold is good for you.

    I think there's also some debate in that todays homes are more germ free and
    that's helped kids become asmatics as their natural immune system doesn't
    have the cope too hard, compared to kids from before the 70's.

    Jhimmy

  6. Mike Painter

    Mike Painter Guest

    Theo wrote:
    > "Mypyrex" <[email protected](no-trousers)fsmail.net> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I try to go to a gym regularly but this year I have had two colds
    >> within the space of a month. As I am retired I could not have picked
    >> up a bug "in the office".
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym. I do not
    >> shower and change there. When I am out in the hills I take a bottle
    >> of "something" with which I can clean my hands(forget what its
    >> called". Is it worth using that when I finish my workout?

    > Are you sure it isn't Avian Flu ;-)
    >
    > You get colds from other people or from things that other people have
    > touched. The more people you meet (like in a gym) the bigger the
    > chance of catching a cold. And there's a higher risk in winter
    > because people have less resistance.
    > It's /good/ to catch a cold now and then.

    "Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up a bug in a gym."
    It's getting much more likley. MRSA is out of the hospitals and coming to a
    gym near you. CA-MRSA has killed a few people here in the US and is showing
    up in health care centers and day care centers.

    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa.html

  7. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >As Theo mentions a regular cold is good for you.

    But your body doesn't store antibodies for the common cold, so where's
    the benefit of catching a cold. You're likely to have a week or so of
    misery for nothing
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  8. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >As Theo mentions a regular cold is good for you.

    > But your body doesn't store antibodies for the common cold, so where's
    > the benefit of catching a cold.

    There are plenty of benefits in catching a cold! Not the least is the
    fact that certain common cold research centres will pay sufferers for
    their donations of time and germ-ridden paper tissues :)

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote
    >In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>As Theo mentions a regular cold is good for you.

    >But your body doesn't store antibodies for the common cold, so where's
    >the benefit of catching a cold. You're likely to have a week or so of
    >misery for nothing

    It can be much longer if you caught the cold at Porton Down. :-(
    --
    Gordon Harris

  10. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    W. D. Grey wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>As Theo mentions a regular cold is good for you.

    >But your body doesn't store antibodies for the common cold, so where's
    >the benefit of catching a cold. You're likely to have a week or so of
    >misery for nothing

    Actually your body does store antibodies but the common cold is a
    whole family of viruses and they keep changing too. So you can only
    catch one cold once but another will be along soon and will sneak in
    past the defences your body has set up to deal with the first one.