OT: Happy Father's day to all dads!

Zilla

Guest
I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:24:22 -0400, Zilla wrote:
> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)

I got a couple of bottles of Belgian Trappist beer and a
few bars of Belgian chocolate (to be consumed separately,
of course!).

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

Zilla says:

>I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)

Woohoo! I got a much-needed trip to the Newport Creamery
(ice cream place) from my two daughters. A card from No.2
son, and No. 1 son has yet to be heard from , but he IS
moving house today, so I forgive him. I gave_ myself_ a
couple of hours "fishing" at the local pond (no fish, but
good for a nap), a play with the dog and the puppy, and a
nice bike ride on real dirt. I'm happy..

Steve

Steve

Zilla wrote:
> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)

Yeah, happy father's day, dads!

I got a nice Moonstone wicking shirt and some chocolate
covered raisins (fancy ones with dark chocolate). I also
got a nice day off from my wife so I went for a ride. I
tried to rally some friends,but they all had other riding
plans of stuff I've done recently. So I went up valley solo
and rode some classic Crested Butte singletrack I haven't
been on. It was good.

http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-06/dyke%20start.JPG http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-
06/dyke%20lower.jpg

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Zilla wrote:
>> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)
>
> Yeah, happy father's day, dads!
>
> I got a nice Moonstone wicking shirt and some chocolate
> covered raisins (fancy ones with dark chocolate). I also
> got a nice day off from my wife so I went for a ride. I
> tried to rally some friends,but they all had other riding
> plans of stuff I've done recently. So I went up valley
> solo and rode some classic Crested Butte singletrack I
> haven't been on. It was good.
>
> http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-06/dyke%20start.JPG http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-
> 06/dyke%20lower.jpg
>
> Matt

As a point of clarification, it was a day off facilitated
by my wife.

Matt

Zilla wrote:
> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)

Hot fudge sundae from Paigerella's Ice cream shop here
in town (The
LICS). Really, its what I wanted! We just got back from a
week in the Florida Keys, so I wasn't in a particularly
"I want" mood. And a nice evening ride with my wife and
kids. Happy Father's Day guys.

Cheers, Shawn

My first father's day !

A flight to Portland to see my Mom and my boy for the
weekend. Today : a nice breakfast and a lazy afternoon of
drinking coffee with the newspaper, followed by a flight
back this evening.

Too bad I've got to prepare for a presentation tomorrow. Oh
well, nothing's perfect.

cc

> You seem confused. It's not about what you "got", it's
> about what you
"have".

> JD

I agree. I think gifts - especially for holidays like
father's day - are dumb.

cc wrote:
>> You seem confused. It's not about what you "got", it's
>> about what you "have".
>>
>> JD
>
> I agree. I think gifts - especially for holidays like
> father's day - are dumb.

I always request no gifts, but then my wife defies my
authority as Man of the House and always gets me a little
something anyway. It's a nice gesture and generally a small
expense so I don't complain.

For Mother's day I always try to give her a nice day off
where she can sleep in, not have to prepare meals, and do
whatever she wants without the usual obligatons. I think
that's one of the best gifts any parent could get (besides
the gift that IS being a parent, of course, but you get that
one every day).

Matt

Stephen Baker wrote:
> cc says:
>
>> I agree. I think gifts - especially for holidays like
>> father's day - are dumb.
>
> I'm going to agree with that this year (having not
> received any gifts) Unless you count my disgustingly large
> ice cream sundae as a "gift", in which case you're full of
> shi-ite. ;-)
>
> Steve "doesn't usually give or get gifts for
> "parents'" days"

they are all just excuses to sell stuff and greeting
cards anyway.

penny

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:09:19 -0700, pas wrote:

>> Steve "doesn't usually give or get gifts for
>> "parents'" days"
>
> they are all just excuses to sell stuff and greeting
> cards anyway.

Not always; sometimes the phone call or crayon-drawn piece
of paper can be the most meaningful gifts.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

> >> Steve "doesn't usually give or get gifts for "parents'"
> >> days"
> >
> > they are all just excuses to sell stuff and greeting
> > cards anyway.

I totally agree with this. I feel the same about Valentine's
day too. Giving gifts for St. Patty's Day or Easter : also
xtra lame.

I refuse to buy greeting cards in stores, and make my own.
Why would you try to pay somebody to *sort of* express how
you feel, when you can just write it down? Either you need
someone to put words in your mouth, or you're not willing
put in the time . .

> Not always; sometimes the phone call or crayon-drawn piece
> of paper can be the most meaningful gifts.

Right, so I should have phrased that differently. Giving
gifts for the sake of giving gifts - because it's expected -
is ridiculous. Gifts like homemade cards, cakes, etc. show
an investment of time and thought. That says more about how
you feel than dumping some cash for something shiny.

MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zilla wrote:
>> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)
>
> Yeah, happy father's day, dads!
>
> I got a nice Moonstone wicking shirt and some chocolate
> covered raisins (fancy ones with dark chocolate). I also
> got a nice day off from my wife so I went for a ride. I
> tried to rally some friends,but they all had other riding
> plans of stuff I've done recently. So I went up valley
> solo and rode some classic Crested Butte singletrack I
> haven't been on. It was good.
>
> http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-06/dyke%20start.JPG http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-
> 06/dyke%20lower.jpg
>
> Matt

Where do you live again Matt? You have some damn good
looking trails!

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)
>
> You seem confused. It's not about what you "got", it's
> about what you "have".
>
> JD

Yeah I'm always confused, but now about what I have. Wife
and kids are it for me, everything else, including my TREK
is icing! :)

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

cc <[email protected]> wrote:
>> You seem confused. It's not about what you "got", it's
>> about what you "have".
>>
>> JD
>
> I agree. I think gifts - especially for holidays like
> father's day - are dumb.

It wasn't my idea. We don't celebrate all these
Hallmark holidays (Valentines, F'day, M'day, etc.) so I
was just surprised. That really was the best part - the
surprise. It could've been a bag of rocks and I
would've liked it as much.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla wrote:

> MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Zilla wrote:
>>
>>>I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)
>>
>>Yeah, happy father's day, dads!
>>
>>I got a nice Moonstone wicking shirt and some chocolate
>>covered raisins (fancy ones with dark chocolate). I also
>>got a nice day off from my wife so I went for a ride. I
>>tried to rally some friends,but they all had other riding
>>plans of stuff I've done recently. So I went up valley
>>solo and rode some classic Crested Butte singletrack I
>>haven't been on. It was good.
>>
>>http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-06/dyke%20start.JPG http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-
>>06/dyke%20lower.jpg
>>
>>Matt
>

> Where do you live again Matt? You have some damn good
> looking trails!

He lives near Paradise.

Greg
--
Destroy your safe and happy lives Before it is too late The
battles we fought were long and hard Just not to be consumed

Zilla wrote:
> MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zilla wrote:
>>> I got a Sony DSC-W1 digital cam for my services! :)
>>
>> Yeah, happy father's day, dads!
>>
>> I got a nice Moonstone wicking shirt and some chocolate
>> covered raisins (fancy ones with dark chocolate). I also
>> got a nice day off from my wife so I went for a ride. I
>> tried to rally some friends,but they all had other riding
>> plans of stuff I've done recently. So I went up valley
>> solo and rode some classic Crested Butte singletrack I
>> haven't been on. It was good.
>>
>> http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-06/dyke%20start.JPG http://www.mattb.net/images/2004-
>> 06/dyke%20lower.jpg
>>
>> Matt
>
> Where do you live again Matt? You have some damn good
> looking trails!

Gunnison County, Co. One of the few places you could take a
photo like this: http://www.mattb.net/images/misc/-38%20F%202003-01-
05.jpg

Matt