OT: Help! I can't post to rec.bicycles.marketplace



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Res09c5t

Guest
Hi, I can post here but not to rec.bicycles.marketplace. I was able to do so a month or so ago. I'm
using a Verizon DSL line with them as my ISP and using them for access to the newsgroup. I've tried
unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. As far as I know, I am connecting the same from
rec.bikes.tech and rec.bikes.marketplace. Obviously, I'm connecting to tech.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Lyle
 
M

Matt O'Toole

Guest
"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi, I can post here but not to rec.bicycles.marketplace. I was able to do so a month or so ago.
> I'm using a Verizon DSL line with them as my ISP and using them for access to the newsgroup. I've
> tried unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. As far as I know, I am connecting the same from
> rec.bikes.tech and rec.bikes.marketplace. Obviously, I'm connecting to tech.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try resetting your newsgroup list. Sometimes groups disappear briefly from the server when they're
purged. They come back when a new message appears. It seems Outlook Express will drop a group if it
disappears, but won't recognize when it reappears. You have to do it manually by resetting the
groups list.

Matt O.
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
Matt O'Toole wrote:

>> I can post here but not to rec.bicycles.marketplace. I was able to do so a month or so ago. I'm
>> using a Verizon DSL line with them as my ISP and using them for access to the newsgroup. I've
>> tried unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. As far as I know, I am connecting the same from
>> rec.bikes.tech and rec.bikes.marketplace. Obviously, I'm connecting to tech.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Try resetting your newsgroup list. Sometimes groups disappear briefly from the server when they're
> purged. They come back when a new message appears. It seems Outlook Express will drop a group if
> it disappears, but won't recognize when it reappears. You have to do it manually by resetting the
> groups list.

Try resetting just the particular newsgroup's "local file" first (might have a different effect from
unsubscribing and resubscribing?).

I second the recommendation for news.cis.dfn.de.

~PB
 
C

Carl Fogel

Guest
"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<YmrDb.1[email protected]>...
> Hi, I can post here but not to rec.bicycles.marketplace. I was able to do so a month or so ago.
> I'm using a Verizon DSL line with them as my ISP and using them for access to the newsgroup. I've
> tried unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. As far as I know, I am connecting the same from
> rec.bikes.tech and rec.bikes.marketplace. Obviously, I'm connecting to tech.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
> Lyle

Dear Lyle,

We have no way of knowing whether you're telling the truth--do you take us for fools? Obviously we
can connect and post, so you must be lying!

Oh, wait, sorry--that's how we deal with technical bicycling matters. This is entirely different. I
beg your pardon.

Hmmm . . . other people posted on December 14th from verizon to rec.bicycles.marketplace, so it's
not a Verizon-wide problem.

You can post to a sister newsgroup, so your machinery is likely well-oiled and in good running
order . . .

You might just be the victim of one of the occasional long hiccups in your newsgroup server.

That is, when interesting things are happening behind the curtain, you can sometimes see indexes of
posts, see the posts themselves, even get to the screen where you can post a reply, and then find
the server coldly rejecting your advances.

How far do you get? Can you see lists of posts in rec.bicycles.marketplace? If so, can you see
individual posts?

Do you reach any error messages, such as internal server error 500? (That one, for example, means
that the server really likes you, but is busy washing its hair tonight. The message may take longer
than you've been willing to wait to come up on screen.)

Could it even be that you posted, but haven't seen your post show up yet? Sometimes posts take hours
to appear on the more sluggish servers.

More details might help, but I hope that your problem has already fixed itself and never troubles
you again.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel
 
R

Res09c5t

Guest
Hi, I probably should have given more info. Never quite sure how much to say. -I "appear" to be
reading the newsgroup fine- although I have no way of knowing if I'm getting everything. I get new
posts, threads get updated, etc. -I've tried posting several times over the last couple of weeks and
it hasn't turned up. I've done searches on keywords in my post thinking that maybe it's out there
but under a wierd date, etc., but nothing turned up. I guess the fact that my tech postings are
working normally indicates that this is ok, too. -When I post, I don't get any kind of error
message. The email does show in my sent items folder.

I'm going to try resetting the list. I tried it last night and it went into some kind of loop or
something that ran all night. I'll re-try it and if it doesn't work, I'll probably go to the
alternate news server that several of you mentioned. Thanks! Lyle "Carl Fogel"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi, I can post here but not to rec.bicycles.marketplace. I was able to do
so a
> > month or so ago. I'm using a Verizon DSL line with them as my ISP and
using
> > them for access to the newsgroup. I've tried unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. As far as I
> > know, I am connecting the same from rec.bikes.tech and rec.bikes.marketplace. Obviously, I'm
> > connecting to tech.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Lyle
>
> Dear Lyle,
>
> We have no way of knowing whether you're telling the truth--do you take us for fools? Obviously we
> can connect and post, so you must be lying!
>
> Oh, wait, sorry--that's how we deal with technical bicycling matters. This is entirely different.
> I beg your pardon.
>
> Hmmm . . . other people posted on December 14th from verizon to rec.bicycles.marketplace, so it's
> not a Verizon-wide problem.
>
> You can post to a sister newsgroup, so your machinery is likely well-oiled and in good running
> order . . .
>
> You might just be the victim of one of the occasional long hiccups in your newsgroup server.
>
> That is, when interesting things are happening behind the curtain, you can sometimes see indexes
> of posts, see the posts themselves, even get to the screen where you can post a reply, and then
> find the server coldly rejecting your advances.
>
> How far do you get? Can you see lists of posts in rec.bicycles.marketplace? If so, can you see
> individual posts?
>
> Do you reach any error messages, such as internal server error 500? (That one, for example, means
> that the server really likes you, but is busy washing its hair tonight. The message may take
> longer than you've been willing to wait to come up on screen.)
>
> Could it even be that you posted, but haven't seen your post show up yet? Sometimes posts take
> hours to appear on the more sluggish servers.
>
> More details might help, but I hope that your problem has already fixed itself and never troubles
> you again.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Carl Fogel
 
T

Tim McNamara

Guest
"res09c5t" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi, I probably should have given more info. Never quite sure how much to say. -I "appear" to be
> reading the newsgroup fine- although I have no way of knowing if I'm getting everything. I get new
> posts, threads get updated, etc.

OK, sounds good so far.

> -I've tried posting several times over the last couple of weeks and it hasn't turned up. I've done
> searches on keywords in my post thinking that maybe it's out there but under a wierd date, etc.,
> but nothing turned up. I guess the fact that my tech postings are working normally indicates that
> this is ok, too.

Also sounds good.

> -When I post, I don't get any kind of error message. The email does show in my sent items folder.

????? It's not an e-mail, it's an NNTP post.

What newsreader and what OS are you using? Have you considered trying different software- e.g., are
real newsreader- many of which are free? See www.newsreaders.com for resources.
 
M

Matt O'Toole

Guest
"Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hmmm . . . other people posted on December 14th from verizon to rec.bicycles.marketplace, so it's
> not a Verizon-wide problem.

Indeed, no problems here. In fact, Verizon's news server has been the best of any ISP I've
had so far.

Matt O.
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
res09c5t wrote:
> and if it doesn't work, I'll probably go to the alternate news server that several of you
> mentioned.

Need to register first (free) - see: http://news.individual.net

~PB
 
C

Carl Fogel

Guest
"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, I probably should have given more info. Never quite sure how much to say. -I "appear" to be
> reading the newsgroup fine- although I have no way of knowing if I'm getting everything. I get new
> posts, threads get updated, etc. -I've tried posting several times over the last couple of weeks
> and it hasn't turned up. I've done searches on keywords in my post thinking that maybe it's out
> there but under a wierd date, etc., but nothing turned up. I guess the fact that my tech postings
> are working normally indicates that this is ok, too. -When I post, I don't get any kind of error
> message. The email does show in my sent items folder.
>
> I'm going to try resetting the list. I tried it last night and it went into some kind of loop or
> something that ran all night. I'll re-try it and if it doesn't work, I'll probably go to the
> alternate news server that several of you mentioned. Thanks! Lyle

Dear Lyle,

Your last post to rec.bicycles.marketplace was on November 22 and was about a Polar S-510 Heart Rate
Monitor and Bike computer. So your posts aren't succeeding.

Weird.

In addition to the suggestions elsewhere in this thread, you might connecting to
rec.bicycles.marketplace through Cycling Forums:

http://[email protected]

Then click on "Bike Classifieds."

They have over 30,000 members, so you might stop there if you're selling things, but you can burrow
further by clicking on rec.bicycles.marketplace.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel
 
T

Tim McNamara

Guest
"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>>> -When I post, I don't get any kind of error message. The email does show in my sent items
>>> folder.
>>
>> ????? It's not an e-mail, it's an NNTP post.
>
> Without Outlook Express, news posts are copied to Sent Items.

Really. I think I misread that as "sent mail folder" rather than "sent items folder." However, I'd
stand by my recommendations about trying a real newsreader. I have not yet found a mail client that
has a satisfactory newsreader built in- although my current newsreader (Gnus under Emacs) has a
satisfactory mail client backend (nnml), sort of the reverse situation.
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
Tim McNamara wrote:

>> -When I post, I don't get any kind of error message. The email does show in my sent items folder.
>
> ????? It's not an e-mail, it's an NNTP post.

Without Outlook Express, news posts are copied to Sent Items.

~PB
 
R

Rick Onanian

Guest
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:46:50 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
>Tim McNamara wrote:
>>> -When I post, I don't get any kind of error message. The email does show in my sent items
>>> folder.
>>
>> ????? It's not an e-mail, it's an NNTP post.

Tim, you know what Pete meant!

>Without Outlook Express, news posts are copied to Sent Items.

If that's what happens _without_ OE, what happens _with_ OE?

Anyway, Tim was giving you a hard time about the word "email", not about the alleged destination of
the alleged message.

Maybe your message ended up with Fred Clydesdale's Dura Ace pedals.

>~PB
--
Rick Onanian
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
Pete Biggs wrote:

>>> -When I post, I don't get any kind of error message. The email does show in my sent items
>>> folder.
>>
>> ????? It's not an e-mail, it's an NNTP post.
>
> Without Outlook Express, news posts are copied to Sent Items.

Sorry, I meant WITH Outlook Express....

It's easy to think of news messages as emails because that's exactly what they look like in OE.

~PB
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads