OT: How to deal with a bully?

BB <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:14:02 GMT, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> Much of the world wants to believe that the US administration isn't carrying out "the will of the
>> people", although it clearly is.
>
>That was my point. If the terrorists think this is the will of the people, they'll have a much
>larger group on which to take out their revenge.
>
>What do YOU care about what the world thinks, anyway?

That's a fair question.

Right now, I'd rather we have a few less friends, and enemies that fear us, rather than a few more
friends, and enemies that don't fear us.

When I say "enemies" I'm talking about nations hostile to the US, not individuals (see below).

Am I chastised by the "Arab Street" view of the US? Hardly. They've been told to believe that all
their problems are the fault of Israel and/or the US for so long that it's going to take a while to
turn it around. I think it's probably the same there as here though. If 500 million Muslims feel bad
for the victims of the 9/11 attack and their families, but the cameras catch 500 of them dancing in
the streets celebrating, that's the impression we're going to get.

Oh, I should also mention that France can pound sand. ;-)

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:09:51 -0000, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > I hate protest for protests sake, despise peoiple protesting over what
they
> > have too little information about to hold an opinion on, but I also
detest
> > when people sweepingly label a whole group with the same tag, because it suits the ends of their
> > particular 'rant for today'.
>
> It wasn't my intent to label the whole group that way. There are no doubt some who know what
> they're fighting for.

It's cool ',;~}

> > Yeah, the upshot is in the numbers rather than the quality,
unfortunately.
> > This world need more education, less legislation - IMO, that would be a
good
> > start to a cure for a huge and widely varied amount of it's problems.
>
> Wow, Shaun aRe are deep thinker! :)

Heheheheh - and this surprises you?!?

Shaun aRe

wrote:

> >> Actually, Shaun, you may have no idea how clueless most of these U.S. protesters are. Its often
> >> just some vague "no war" thing. They don't
often
> >> understand the details of the legality (or lack thereof), or the
potential
> >> world impact. They're usually young people who think rebellion is cool (plus, they get to do a
> >> little looting along the way; yeah baby, give peace a chance!).
> >
> >Oh, the US doesn't have the monopoly on these sorts of people Blaine,
trust
> >me, although I'd lay odds on the percentages being greater.

> I'd agree with you Shaun, if I hadn't seen so much European football (soccer to those US-bound
> types). :-(

Aye, but that's not got anything to do with 'protest', just plain old tribal rivalry and
ignorant violence.

> >I hate protest for protests sake, despise peoiple protesting over what
they
> >have too little information about to hold an opinion on, but I also
detest
> >when people sweepingly label a whole group with the same tag, because iut suits the ends of their
> >particular 'rant for today'.
>
> I have heard a select few articulate a reasoned position that tries to consolidate the known
> facts, and come to a conclusion that there may have been options. I don't agree with any of them -
> but at least they acknowledge how they came to the conclusion. When I see signs that say "no blood
> for oil" and none that say "Give up your WMD, Saddam you twit" I tend to think the protesters
> don't know or don't care about the "whole picture".

I would just like to see the whole reasoning behind this action openly and honestly divulged - the
reasoning so far stinks to high heaven - there's been a total lack of consistency and far too much
verbal dancing. This is what has set my alarm bells ringing - I'm not against this war for the sake
of being against it, but like I said in an erlier post to you, something just dosen't ring true.....

> >> The upside, though, is these protests are being shown on TV around the world, and would-be
> >> terrorists get to see to see that U.S. citizens
aren't
> >> all lawless vigilantes.
> >
> >Yeah, the upshot is in the numbers rather than the quality,
unfortunately.
> >This world need more education, less legislation - IMO, that would be a
good
> >start to a cure for a huge and widely varied amount of it's problems.
>
> Amen, brother Shaun.

Glad we agree on that Brother Mark ',;~}

> >Anyhow, it's lunch time! ',;~}
>
> What'r we having?

I had the most awful jacket potato with chilli on it - spud was par-boiled before baking (Sacrilege!
Eugh!), chilli had no heat, and had tinned baked beans in it, FFS!

(don't always have time to make my own lunches ;-( )

You wouldn't have wanted to share, trust me ',;~}

Shaun aRe