OT: "i heart bashguards"

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zeeexsixare, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    I sold a mountain bike this past summer on eBay... a Huffy
    to be exact. It went for $36 and change. I posted the
    auction here for you guys to feel ashamed of.

    I'm curious what you peeps think of "rice burner" cars and
    the like... y'know the big exhausts and super-loud fart cans
    and the obnoxious spoilers that reach for the sky and do
    absolutely nothing because the cars never go over 60mph...
    Plus they're all front wheel drive...

    So I found an exhaust tip on the side of the road...
    polished it up and put it up for sale on eBay. I'm again
    embellishing the auction, emphasizing all the traits
    that rice rocket drivers would find most desireable on
    the object...

    Tell me what you think: http://snipurl.com/53dm

    I KNOW nobody here would stoop so low as to want to
    "upgrade" their car with another piece of 50-lb chrome or
    some other obviously detrimental performance enhancement.
    Then again I did mention bicycles in it... twice ;)

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Tell me what you think:
    > http://snipurl.com/53dm

    It's freakin hilarious, that's what I think!

    I propose a "noise tax" on cars (including coming from
    stereos) - $100 / decibel over a reasonable limit.

    Make all the noise you want as long as you pay for the
    privilege.

  3. "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I propose a "noise tax" on cars (including coming from
    > stereos) - $100 / decibel over a reasonable limit.

    I propose an exemption for loudness that actually provides a
    performance increase.

    Pete "straight pipes" Fagerlin

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I propose a "noise tax" on cars (including coming from
    > > stereos) - $100 / decibel over a reasonable limit.
    >
    > I propose an exemption for loudness that actually provides
    > a performance increase.
    >
    > Pete "straight pipes" Fagerlin

    Damn straight. My first car was a GT Mustang (13.2 sec) with
    a highly illegal exhaust (straight as I could get Hooker
    setup, no cats, 2.5 inch H-pipe, etc.). It sounded like an
    idling boat until I imparted a bit of anger into the mix via
    the right foot. Then (I'd like to think) it sounded like an
    Apollo rocket. Regardless, I miss that car* every time I
    hear what sounds like a weedwacker-wielding swarm of bees
    coming down the street and realize it's just a '96 Ford
    Probe running down a '01 Accord.

    Good luck ZX6R with ripping off some moron in an econo-box.

    Chris

    *and will miss it forever as it has become a 9-second beast
    no longer fit for street use. Boo.

  5. David

    David Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I'm curious what you peeps think of "rice burner" cars and
    > the like... y'know the big exhausts and super-loud fart
    > cans and the obnoxious spoilers that reach for the sky and
    > do absolutely nothing because the cars never go over
    > 60mph...

    Here's a Civic that can look fast while standing still.
    Judging from the claimed 10-second timeslips, I suspect it
    has been over 60 a few times:
    http://walter.moundalexis.com/gallery/album05/DCP_2131

    It's hard to tell from the photo if it has a wing.

    > Plus they're all front wheel drive...

    Not *all* of them:
    http://adelemming.multiservers.com/93ToyotaSupraTurbo.jpg

    This final photo set is almost on topic:
    http://www.riceboypage.com/shameless/bigwheels/

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>I propose a "noise tax" on cars (including coming from
    >>stereos) - $100 / decibel over a reasonable limit.
    >

    > I propose an exemption for loudness that actually provides
    > a performance increase.

    On the track only. Or in the middle of Nevada.

    Greg

  7. "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > >>I propose a "noise tax" on cars (including coming from
    > >>stereos) - $100 / decibel over a reasonable limit.
    > >

    > > I propose an exemption for loudness that actually
    > > provides a performance increase.
    > >

    > On the track only. Or in the middle of Nevada.

    ...and in tunnels.

    An interesting thing is that cars can be much quieter at
    typical "steet" throttle loads than many, many Harleys at
    similar throttle loads while still being very loud at WOT.

    "loud pipes save lives" though so many folks don't get
    tweeked about loud Hogs.

    p.s. Some tracks have sound limits that require a stock
    muffler or you don't get to drive.

  8. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > Here's a Civic that can look fast while standing still.
    > Judging from the
    claimed
    > 10-second timeslips, I suspect it has been over 60 a
    > few times:

    This one takes the cake.

    http://redline.net.nz/hondapower/

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    ZeeExSixAre wrote:
    >> Here's a Civic that can look fast while standing still.
    >> Judging from the claimed 10-second timeslips, I suspect
    >> it has been over 60 a few times:
    >

    > This one takes the cake.
    >
    > http://redline.net.nz/hondapower/

    Sweet!

  10. Md

    Md Guest

    I can't believe that ebay let you post that. That is pretty
    funny actually.

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I sold a mountain bike this past summer on eBay... a Huffy
    > to be exact.
    It
    > went for $36 and change. I posted the auction here for you
    > guys to feel ashamed of.
    >
    > I'm curious what you peeps think of "rice burner" cars and
    > the like... y'know the big exhausts and super-loud fart
    > cans and the obnoxious
    spoilers
    > that reach for the sky and do absolutely nothing because
    > the cars never go over 60mph... Plus they're all front
    > wheel drive...
    >
    > So I found an exhaust tip on the side of the road...
    > polished it up and
    put
    > it up for sale on eBay. I'm again embellishing the
    > auction, emphasizing
    all
    > the traits that rice rocket drivers would find most
    > desireable on the object...
    >
    > Tell me what you think: http://snipurl.com/53dm
    >
    > I KNOW nobody here would stoop so low as to want to
    > "upgrade" their car
    with
    > another piece of 50-lb chrome or some other obviously
    > detrimental performance enhancement. Then again I did
    > mention bicycles in it... twice ;)
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  11. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Dkr5c.1[email protected]...
    >
    >>p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    >>
    >>>"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>I propose an exemption for loudness that actually
    >>>provides a performance increase.
    >>>

    >>On the track only. Or in the middle of Nevada.
    >

    > ...and in tunnels.
    >
    > An interesting thing is that cars can be much quieter at
    > typical "steet" throttle loads than many, many Harleys at
    > similar throttle loads while still being very loud at WOT.
    >
    > "loud pipes save lives" though so many folks don't get
    > tweeked about loud Hogs.

    I get tweaked about Hogs, especially when it's midlife
    crisis rubbies riding them.

    Greg

  12. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    >> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:D[email protected]...

    >>>On the track only. Or in the middle of Nevada.
    >>

    >> ...and in tunnels.
    >>
    >> An interesting thing is that cars can be much quieter
    >> at typical "steet" throttle loads than many, many
    >> Harleys at similar throttle loads while still being
    >> very loud at WOT.
    >>
    >> "loud pipes save lives" though so many folks don't get
    >> tweeked about loud Hogs.
    >>

    > I get tweaked about Hogs, especially when it's midlife
    > crisis rubbies riding them.
    >
    > Greg

    why, doesn't effect ya' one way or another. Why bother?

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I'm curious what you peeps think of "rice burner" cars
    > > and the like... y'know the big exhausts and super-loud
    > > fart cans and the obnoxious spoilers that reach for the
    > > sky and do absolutely nothing because the cars never go
    > > over 60mph...
    >
    > Here's a Civic that can look fast while standing still.
    > Judging from the claimed 10-second timeslips, I suspect it
    > has been over 60 a few times:
    > http://walter.moundalexis.com/gallery/album05/DCP_2131
    >
    > It's hard to tell from the photo if it has a wing.

    See what happens when you forget to put the radiator cap on?

    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-

  14. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > >> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news-
    > >> :D[email protected]

    > >> ...and in tunnels.
    > >>
    > >> An interesting thing is that cars can be much quieter
    > >> at typical "steet" throttle loads than many, many
    > >> Harleys at similar throttle loads while still being
    > >> very loud at WOT.
    > >>
    > >> "loud pipes save lives" though so many folks don't get
    > >> tweeked about loud Hogs.
    > >>

    > > I get tweaked about Hogs, especially when it's midlife
    > > crisis rubbies riding them.
    > >
    > > Greg
    > >

    > why, doesn't effect ya' one way or another. Why bother?

    Except when you live four houses up from where all the local
    Harley riders congregate. They really entertain the
    neighborhood on those daily group rides.

    --
    Cameron

  15. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "MD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > I can't believe that ebay let you post that. That is
    > pretty funny actually.

    Dang funny IMO. Far too many 19 year old "pimps" driving
    Honda's with fiberglass hanggliders on the back around here.
    Must be horrid in SoCal.

    --
    Cameron

    > "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I sold a mountain bike this past summer on eBay... a
    > > Huffy to be exact.
    > It
    > > went for $36 and change. I posted the auction here for
    > > you guys to feel ashamed of.
    > >
    > > I'm curious what you peeps think of "rice burner" cars
    > > and the like... y'know the big exhausts and super-loud
    > > fart cans and the obnoxious
    > spoilers
    > > that reach for the sky and do absolutely nothing because
    > > the cars never go over 60mph... Plus they're all front
    > > wheel drive...
    > >
    > > So I found an exhaust tip on the side of the road...
    > > polished it up and
    > put
    > > it up for sale on eBay. I'm again embellishing the
    > > auction, emphasizing
    > all
    > > the traits that rice rocket drivers would find most
    > > desireable on the object...
    > >
    > > Tell me what you think: http://snipurl.com/53dm
    > >
    > > I KNOW nobody here would stoop so low as to want to
    > > "upgrade" their car
    > with
    > > another piece of 50-lb chrome or some other obviously
    > > detrimental performance enhancement. Then again I did
    > > mention bicycles in it... twice ;)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  16. B A R R Y

    B A R R Y Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:40:39 GMT, "p e t e f a g e r l i n"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"loud pipes save lives" though so many folks don't get
    >tweeked about loud Hogs.

    If they're pointed out the front, which they're not.

    Barry

  17. "B a r r y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:40:39 GMT, "p e t e f a g e r l i
    > n" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"loud pipes save lives" though so many folks don't get
    > >tweeked about loud Hogs.
    >
    > If they're pointed out the front, which they're not.

    Loud pipes can still be heard by traffic, even if they don't
    point out front.

  18. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Cameron" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > I get tweaked about Hogs, especially when it's midlife
    >> > crisis rubbies riding them.
    >> >
    >> > Greg
    >> >

    >> why, doesn't effect ya' one way or another. Why bother?
    >
    > Except when you live four houses up from where all the
    > local Harley riders congregate. They really entertain the
    > neighborhood on those daily group rides.

    Funny that. I too live a scant 4 houses away from some HD
    riders too. But they aren't near as annoying as the little
    high schoolers in their tricked out rice burners with all
    the funky neon.