[OT] IDS on congestion

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    According to the BBC, Iain "Who?" Duncan Smith has been working on a new set of policies which could
    be summed up as "promise the ABD everything they want secure in the knowledge that in the unlikely
    event that we are elected we can always renege on our promises as usual."

    A choice quote:

    "Mr Duncan Smith blamed the "collapse" of road building in the UK for the increase in traffic
    congestion. "

    Nice to know that the increase in the number of journeys undertaken by car has nothing to do with
    it, it is in fact the nebulous Them who are to blame. Absolves the cagers of any responsibility.

    Another choice quote:

    "We have been looking at this - in Europe it does not work like that, there are many more miles of
    roads per head of the population, and their traffic congestion is much lower than ours."

    Pause for gasps as we realise IDS is championing European harmonisation (though only on things he
    likes, of course). Stand by for howls of derision as it is pointed out to the dreary slaphead that
    the additional miles of road may be adequately explained by the fact that France, for example, has
    well under under half the UKs population per unit area.

    One more pearl of IDS wisdom:

    "People want people to travel very slowly near schools and near old people's homes but they want to
    be able to move faster on motorways,"

    They might want /other/ people to travel slowly past /their/ school, but as the recent BBC News
    story about the school which couldn't get people prosecuted despite drivign at 87mph past the school
    gate (30mph limit) they are slightly less keen to do the slowing down themselves.

    Easy to write it all off as cynical vote-grubbing but the Daily Mail will actually believe his guff
    and print it as if it were in some way accurate or relevant :-(

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

    Tags:

  2. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Easy to write it all off as cynical vote-grubbing but the Daily Mail will actually believe his
    > guff and print it as if it were in some way accurate or relevant :-(

    isn't it the other way round? IDS actually belives what he reads in the smelly little arse wipe.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  3. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:36:45 +0100, "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >>
    >> Easy to write it all off as cynical vote-grubbing but the Daily Mail will actually believe his
    >> guff and print it as if it were in some way accurate or relevant :-(
    >
    >isn't it the other way round? IDS actually belives what he reads in the smelly little arse wipe.

    Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is quite interesting.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is quite interesting.

    So you'd rather see the powerful backed by the polite than the underdog supported by the
    impolite, eh ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    : A choice quote:

    : "Mr Duncan Smith blamed the "collapse" of road building in the UK for the increase in traffic
    : congestion. "

    And the one I really liked (not), but which I can't find again, said something to the effect of "all
    we'll justify all this by stopping doing those pesky multi-modal studies".

    As for your subject line Guy, if only this was off-topic.

    Arthur

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > And the one I really liked (not), but which I can't find again, said
    something
    > to the effect of "all we'll justify all this by stopping doing those pesky multi-modal studies".

    It could be worse - just.

    "A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    transportation programs."

    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html

    This has nothing to do with the White House being a wholly owned subsidiary of Big Oil of course.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:49:45 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is quite interesting.
    >
    >So you'd rather see the powerful backed by the polite than the underdog supported by the
    >impolite, eh ;-)

    OK. "Politeness" was the wrong word to use. Maybe "superior cycnicism" was more correct. I often
    spend 30 minutes or so searching for the word or phrase I want - normaly without luck - but that's
    my own problem. I do seriously have trouble in writing both mails and NG posts. Indeed, I didn't
    sleep last night as I was concerned about the words I'd used. I realise you are able to write
    lucidly. (Lucky so-and-so.) I'm not.

    Look at it this way, Guy, how often have you read about or heard of a slightly less left wing
    liberal person refer to the Guardian, Observer or similar rags as a "smelly little arse wipe", to
    use Andy's words?

    Please do feel free to emulate Polly Toynbee's sneering manner if you wish. IMO, it doesn't
    become you.

    Incidentally, also IMO, the pro-Europe bunch speak similarly to the liberal left.

    I don't have any objection at all about your or their actual policies. However, I do find the way
    those policies are put across to be more than a little impolite - sorry, superior and cynical.

    End of right wing rant.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >> Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is quite interesting.

    > OK. "Politeness" was the wrong word to use. Maybe "superior cycnicism" was more correct.

    Oh no, for the Real Deal un superior cynicism you need an old-guard Tory.

    > I realise you are able to write lucidly. (Lucky so-and-so.) I'm not.

    Impossible - I are an injuneer ;-)

    > Look at it this way, Guy, how often have you read about or heard of a slightly less left wing
    > liberal person refer to the Guardian, Observer or similar rags as a "smelly little arse wipe", to
    > use Andy's words?

    The Grauniad bends so far backwards to be fair that it limbo dances under its own legs, though. The
    Mail is really quite unpleasant, especially to people it dislikes - asylum seekers, lefties,
    "scroungers" and so on. At least the Grauniad only puts the boot into the likes of Aitken. Anyway, I
    don't read the Grauniad either except at airports. I read Private Eye, which is an equal
    opportunities offender :)

    > I don't have any objection at all about your or their actual policies. However, I do find the way
    > those policies are put across to be more than a little impolite - sorry, superior and cynical.

    Cynical is a word best defined by example. The perfect example of "cynical" for me was the handling
    of the Scott report. That's the primary reason why no Tory candiate will ever have my vote until
    every Tory MP then sitting has left the party.

    Phony Tony does Bad Stuff too. But I don't vote for his lot either.

    Now chill and watch this: http://www.rathergood.co.uk/default.asp?nc=6281&id=45

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:51:24 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh no, for the Real Deal un superior cynicism you need an old-guard Tory.

    How about a genetic mix of Nicholas Soames and Boris J (just for the laughs) with Maggie as a rather
    old surrogate mother and Norman Tebbitt the provider of the "emptied out" cell?

    >I read Private Eye, which is an equal opportunities offender :)

    Equally nasty to all. Equally funny to all others.

    >Cynical is a word best defined by example. The perfect example of "cynical" for me was the handling
    >of the Scott report. That's the primary reason why no Tory candiate will ever have my vote until
    >every Tory MP then sitting has left the party.

    100% in agreement with the Scott comment. I'd forgotten about that one. Sleaze: Taught by the
    Tories, learnt by Labour.

    >Now chill and watch this: http://www.rathergood.co.uk/default.asp?nc=6281&id=45

    LOL OK, Guy, I'm chilled. At the first viewing I thought the video was a Bush/Blair party political
    broadcast. Maybe it is.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg