OT - I'm disgusted!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Alan Erskine, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling a Pemtium 4 2.6Gh computer
    for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.

    We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!

    --
    Alan Erskine
    We can get people to the Moon in five years,

    Tags:

  2. Alan Erskine wrote:

    > I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling a Pemtium 4 2.6Gh
    > computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.
    >
    > We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!

    You're shopping at the wrong places. Without knowing what the guts contain, (which affects the
    price significantly) a similar system here, with an "everything-on-board" motherboard, lan
    interface, 256M ram, 40G hdd, CDRW, 15" LCD monitor, keyboard, optical mouse, speakers and PCI
    modem comes to about AU$1200. I would imagine cheaper if you want to put it together yourself.

    On the other hand, if you want a beefy higher-specced "P4 2.6G" system, you could easily spend two
    to three times that. More if you want optional extras like a screen and keyboard.

    It's all in the guts and frilly bits.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Oh dear.

    Here we go again...

    Usenet kook-ism, long-running vendettas, allegations that are spurious, dubious, circumstantial,
    identity theft and fraud, fake postings...

    In short, the whole burger, with beetroot.

    Cf: "The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks"... not that I would have a clue either way.

    Here we go again...

  4. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=COMP&p id=00364034000

    --
    Alan Erskine
    We can get people to the Moon in five years,
    not the fifteen GWB proposes.
    Give NASA a real challenge
    [email protected]

    "John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Alan Erskine wrote:
    >
    > > I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're
    selling a
    > > Pemtium 4 2.6Gh computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on
    > > $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.
    > >
    > > We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!
    >
    > You're shopping at the wrong places. Without knowing what the guts
    contain,
    > (which affects the price significantly) a similar system here, with an
    > "everything-on-board" motherboard, lan interface, 256M ram, 40G hdd, CDRW,
    15"
    > LCD monitor, keyboard, optical mouse, speakers and PCI modem comes to
    about
    > AU$1200. I would imagine cheaper if you want to put it together yourself.
    >
    > On the other hand, if you want a beefy higher-specced "P4 2.6G" system,
    you
    > could easily spend two to three times that. More if you want optional
    extras
    > like a screen and keyboard.
    >
    > It's all in the guts and frilly bits.
    >
    > --
    > Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org

  5. coppershark

    coppershark New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    To go further off topic given the improvement in the A$ (approx 50% appreciation) in the last twelve months has anyone noticed a substantial decrease in the price of bikes and components.

    Mike

  6. Alan Erskine wrote:
    > http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=COMP&pid=00364034000

    That's ok, seems like a short-speced system with no monitor.

    You lose the monitor (AU$460 was as low as I could find for an LCD 15") brings the price to 1200-
    460 = AU$740.

    But you get a card reader built in. I could only find a 6in1 card reader, but who cares, any more
    than CF, SD and perhaps MMC or XD for cameras is pointless for most of the market (+AU$45).

    It has five USB ports, dunno how many this one has, but a USB hub (+AU$20) or if you want to
    splurge on USB2 (+AU$42) will cover you for that.

    Which brings the total to about AU$830.

    But you get XPhome (I'm guessing the M$ tax is about $200?), a name-brand PC, and the system
    recover CD's which are useful for not-so-tech-savvy users, (you work out how much that is worth to
    you), that would bring it to just over AU$1000.

    Bring that over from the states, freight would cost a bomb, you likely lose the warranty, and
    you're up for a new power cable at least (be warned that I've seen some PSU's for the US market
    that are NOT 110-240 switchable), or up for a power supply at worst (will our standard ATX's fit
    the HP? You guess)

    Which brings the grand total to: Bzzzt, you lose. Thanks, but no thanks.

    If you're talking Global Positioning Systems on the other hand, now *that's*
    a rort. Depending on what you want, buying from the US would be well worthwhile.

    And, it would be much easier to attach a GPS unit to your bicycle than it would be a desktop PC
    (clutching at straws trying to keep on topic).

    Of which I've done both (don't ask).

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

  7. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    Krista Computers (spelling) over the road from Swinbourne.. P4 2.6, 256, 80Gb, Onboard everything,
    17inch CRT, Pioneer DVDR 106, kyb, mouse, speakers.. $1050 in early Jan....

    What's more off topic is the cost of IT related certification exams.. they pay USD$125.. we pay
    AUD$240 (cisco) and AUD$255 (microsoft).. which is around USD$180... I guess the extra costs go
    towards clearing out the sheep and kangaroos out of the 'secure testing centre'...

    cheers, gpl

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pA0%[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling
    > Pemtium 4 2.6Gh computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the
    > U.S. dollar.
    >
    > We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!
    >
    > --
    > Alan Erskine We can get people to the Moon in five years, not the fifteen GWB proposes. Give NASA
    > a real challenge [email protected]

  8. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:31:43 +0000, Alan Erskine wrote:

    > I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling a Pemtium 4 2.6Gh
    > computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.
    >
    > We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!

    j'reckon ?

    For starters add 10% tax, and then add the bit of profit they grift from shipping & handling. That's
    probably going get it up near US$1000.

    If you shop around, goto a "Computer Fair" you'll get something fairly close to this value. I got a
    system for the kids in october, cost $1200, but with LCD screen, and extra RAM. (IIRC it was only a
    1400 athlon, but this was 5 months ago). I reckon you can come to within 15% of a US price,
    especially if you take into account delivery.

    -kt

  9. Stu

    Stu Guest

    you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
    AUS$260 mark

    from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark up. yes I know you have to get
    your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a lot of change for postage and a charger. In fact with
    the price I have seen on this newgroup for replacement battery sticks. It would be cheaper to buy a
    complete set from the states just for the batteries. The Vistalite Code 25 Light Set comes with 3
    battery sticks for AUS$200. I have heard of prices around the AUS$90 for replacements. now I know
    why l made my own stu

    p.s. as always l could be missing something

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Completely OT, listening to Tony Shaw on 3AW this morn reminds me why everyone hates Collingwood.

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    None!!!

    I actually wrote a letter to the bike-traders assoc re this as I did the maths similar to you and realised either our importers were getting dudded from their OS counterparts or the retailer is getting dudded by the importer/wholesaler

    They responded and said, sadly it seems on the whole the wholesalers have basically kept the price they sell to retailers identical for the same product that they now fork out almost half the amount of moula for!!!

    So, basically we are getting screwed. Buying over the internet is basically de rigeur if you can be bothered (I wont even start the rant about availability and range...) and let's face it, the majority of warranties etc are so lame these days the risk is diminished to virtual irrelevence

  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
    > AUS$260 mark
    >
    > from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark up. yes I know you have to
    > get your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a lot of change for postage and a charger. In
    fact
    > with the price I have seen on this newgroup for replacement battery
    sticks.
    > It would be cheaper to buy a complete set from the states just for the batteries. The Vistalite
    > Code 25 Light Set comes with 3 battery sticks for AUS$200. I have heard of prices around the
    > AUS$90 for replacements. now I know why l made my own stu
    >
    > p.s. as always l could be missing something

    No way you are not missing anything. I travel to the US a bit for work and bike stuff is HEAPS
    cheaper over there than here. Could be buying power? Not too sure but when I need something I wait
    till I go. Supergo is nothing special. Even their LBS's are heaps cheaper after the conversion.
    Even when the dollar was 50c or so. Somethings are only slightly less... Pedals and shoes etc are
    dirt cheap.

  13. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:25:21 +1100, stu wrote:

    > you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
    > AUS$260 mark
    >
    > from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark up. yes I know you have to
    > get your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a lot of change for postage and a charger. ...
    > p.s. as always l could be missing something

    It's the NiMh not the NiCd right?

    The NiCd seems to be significantly cheaper.

    -kt

  14. Stu

    Stu Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:25:21 +1100, stu wrote:
    >
    > > you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
    > > AUS$260 mark
    > >
    > > from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark
    up.
    > > yes I know you have to get your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a
    lot
    > > of change for postage and a charger. ...
    > > p.s. as always l could be missing something
    >
    > It's the NiMh not the NiCd right?
    >
    > The NiCd seems to be significantly cheaper.
    >
    > -kt
    not sure what you are asking

    they are both the same product, they are both NiMh

    NiMh can be rechargered more often NiCDs and NiMh are about the same price now MiMh dont like being
    overcharged or to fast a discharge besides NiCd weigh about 30% more than NiMh lol

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    GPLama wrote:
    > Krista Computers (spelling) over the road from Swinbourne.. P4 2.6, 256, 80Gb,
    > Onboard everything, 17inch CRT, Pioneer DVDR 106, kyb, mouse, speakers.. $1050
    > in early Jan....

    SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte all in one board (with AGP
    slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400 watt pwer supply 256 RAM $350

  16. Gplama

    Gplama Guest

    people pay money for AMD? and use them for business!?!? ;)

    "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > GPLama wrote:
    > > Krista Computers (spelling) over the road from Swinbourne.. P4 2.6,
    256,
    > > 80Gb, Onboard everything, 17inch CRT, Pioneer DVDR 106, kyb, mouse,
    > > speakers.. $1050 in early Jan....
    > >

    > SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte all in one board (with AGP
    > slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400 watt pwer supply 256 RAM $350

  17. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "dave" wrote

    > SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte
    > all in one
    board
    > (with AGP slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400
    > watt pwer
    supply
    > 256 RAM $350

    Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
    can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
    we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
    processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.

    We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
    power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to me
    for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?

    We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
    operation.

    Theo

  18. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > "dave" wrote
    >

    >>SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte
    >>all in one
    >
    > board
    >
    >>(with AGP slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400
    >>watt pwer
    >
    > supply
    >
    >> 256 RAM $350
    >

    > Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
    > can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
    > we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
    > processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.
    >
    > We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
    > power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to
    > me for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?
    >
    > We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
    > operation.
    >
    > Theo

    Well after 10 years as a tech.. I know whats good .. whats
    ok and whats rubbish.. THis stuff is ok. The cases
    actually fairly good.. The power supplies ok.. would
    personly like another fan but none of em have failed in
    service and we have lots

    And the intel AMD debate is crap.. but people will have
    their opinions. We bought a bunch of computers for work
    purely cos one of the support people convinced finance that
    Acers support would save us the work.. Acer then wanted $480
    to replace a (admittedly deliberatly destroyed) CDROM.

    If you support Intel and only drive holden cos Ford a crap I
    could care less . You have your opinion. Good on you.

  19. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "dave" wrote
    >
    > > SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte all
    > > in one
    > board
    > > (with AGP slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400
    > > watt pwer
    > supply
    > > 256 RAM $350
    >
    > Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
    > can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
    > we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
    > processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.
    >
    > We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
    > power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to
    > me for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?
    >
    > We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
    > operation.
    >
    > Theo

    There are many major manufacturers that disagree with you.
    My Toshiba laptop has AMD. My desktop has AMD (which I built
    myself from hand chosen components) and I develop high end
    automation software for major international industries with
    multi billion dollar turnovers on it without any issues.
    However I also use Intel - my test rig is all intel based
    but not through any other reason than fluke. (I also swap
    between ford and holden in my cars too). I have never
    noticed any reliability difference between the two
    processors apart from the very early days of AMD.

    The Intel is best argument goes along side the argument
    that Compaq (HP) are better PC's than your purpose built
    assembled computers from little IT companies. If you take a
    gander inside one of these Compaqs(HP) and you actually
    know what you are looking at you will know this is a
    rubbish argument.

    Peter

  20. "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    >> We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
    >> operation.

    I used to work for a major international computer
    manufacturer. We were going to produce an AMD PC for the
    corporate market. The pre-production units had gone out to
    market for testing and there was a *lot* of positive
    feedback regarding performance, price etc. In the end we did
    not produce the AMD based machine. Why? Because a certain
    rival processor manufacturer gave us lots of marketing
    funding to push the machines based on their processors.
    Legal? Certainly. Ethical? Kind of, but that's just business
    unfortunately.