OT - I'm disgusted!

> Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
> can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
> we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
> processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.
>
> We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
> power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to
> me for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?
>
> We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
> operation.
>
> Theo

The issue is not AMD itself. Its because people that go AMD
because it is cheap also buy their other components because
they are cheap. If you build an Intel computer cheaply you
have the same problem.

Eric

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 17:31:46 +1100, GPLama wrote:

> people pay money for AMD? and use them for business!?!? ;)

Absolutely.

A few high-end servers coming out now with AMD's Opteron
CPUs, IIRC Sun & HP have machines either announced or
out already.

Even on the low-end, you'll get more performance per dollar.

-kt

"Eric Witte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately
> > you can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT
> > company and we assemble computers for our clients. We
> > only use Intel processors and Intel motherboards with
> > quality cases.
> >
> > We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400
> > W power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered
> > to me for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?
> >
> > We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years
> > of operation.
> >
> > Theo
>
> The issue is not AMD itself. Its because people that go
> AMD because it is cheap also buy their other components
> because they are cheap. If you build an Intel computer
> cheaply you have the same problem.
>
> Eric

This is dead right. You have hit the nail on the head.

However I chose AMD for this particular machine for a reason
at the time but also chose high quality components. The cost
had nothing to do with it. Infact the motherboard I wanted
was more expensive than I would have paid if it were intel.

"dave" wrote

> Well after 10 years as a tech.. I know whats good ..
> whats ok and
whats
> rubbish..

Oh, a pissing contest. Cool! I was also a tech, though I'm
not now. I installed my first mainframe in 1968. There were
four computers in Perth at the time. I'm now the Admin
manager of a computer company with 20 empoyees, including 8
techs, called Bekkers. Our anual turnover is $4M. Bekkers
also happens to be my surname.

Your turn. :)

> THis stuff is ok. The cases actually fairly good..
> The power
supplies
> ok.. would personly like another fan but none of em have
> failed in service and we have lots

I was just trying to point out that computers can be
made cheap or good. Rarely both. Price is not an
indication of good.

Theo

i hereby pronounce Theo the winner :)

(bekkers; anagram of 'beekr' fro the muppets???)

sadly, you will still use powerpoint, but that's another story...

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "dave" wrote
>
> > Well after 10 years as a tech.. I know whats good ..
> > whats ok and
> whats
> > rubbish..
>
> Oh, a pissing contest. Cool! I was also a tech, though I'm
> not now. I installed my first mainframe in 1968. There
> were four computers in Perth at the time. I'm now the
> Admin manager of a computer company with 20 empoyees,
> including 8 techs, called Bekkers. Our anual turnover is
> $4M. Bekkers also happens to be my surname.
>
> Your turn. :)

I cannot see how this is a pissing competition. I think Dave
and myself were only expressing our experiences. I was
merely saying I have used both processors and in extremely
demanding situations.

I have seen horrific Intel based machines and horrific AMD
based machines. It usually comes down to the components
surrounding them. Both processors are very sound IMHO and
the decision to use one over the other is a comfort level
thing. As a small business like yours (granted not a 2 man
show but still considered small) I can see why it makes
business sense to advertise that you only deal in INTEL.

Reasons include that a lot of companies will only supply
HP/Compaq (and companies like mine that ONLY buy HP for some
crazy reason and would never consider buiying from small
business). The decisions made by the end customer are
usually managers and are not as tech savvy as the people
that use them. Words like IBM or INTEL or HP impress over
lesser known companies regardless of the quality of their
internals. People say INTEL and they think "yeah I have
heard of that". I am not saying that this is the case with
your customers but if you are selling to larger business
then this is what you are faced with. Marketing are
constantly pushing for bells and whistles to impress
managers of large multi-national businesses.

Another reason is that if you have always dealt in INTEL
and it hasnt let you down then the old adage "what aint
broke dont fix" holds pretty well. For me, I hand pick all
my own components based on the news of the day and reviews
by geeks with far more spare time than me and have never
been let down.

Pete

> > THis stuff is ok. The cases actually fairly good..
> > The power
> supplies
> > ok.. would personly like another fan but none of em have
> > failed in service and we have lots
>
> I was just trying to point out that computers can be
> made cheap or good. Rarely both. Price is not an
> indication of good.
>
> Theo

and my spanking new G5 would kick all of them :)

but then again if the world ran on Macs, we wouldnt have the need to employall you guys or be able to distract the virus-creators, now would we???

"flyingdutch" wrote

> (bekkers; anagram of 'beekr' fro the muppets???)

You should have recognised it as a Dutch name. :)

Theo

"John Doe" wrote

> I have seen horrific Intel based machines and horrific
> AMD based
machines.
> It usually comes down to the components surrounding them.

Certainly. As I said, if you buy on price only you aren't
going to get the best, or even good, equipment. If you get a
quality case, an Intel processor, and an Intel motherboard,
you can't go far wrong. An Intel processor and this week's
'Special' motherboard can be a problem.

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Doe" wrote
>
> > I have seen horrific Intel based machines and horrific
> > AMD based
> machines.
> > It usually comes down to the components
> > surrounding them.
>
> Certainly. As I said, if you buy on price only you aren't
> going to get the best, or even good, equipment. If you get
> a quality case, an Intel processor, and an Intel
> motherboard, you can't go far wrong. An Intel processor
> and this week's 'Special' motherboard can be a problem.
>
> Theo

Totally agree.

Pete

"flyingdutch" wrote
> Theo is a dutch name???

Quite a common name in Holland. I was referring to Bekkers.

Theo

Originally posted by Theo Bekkers
"flyingdutch" wrote
> Theo is a dutch name???

Quite a common name in Holland. I was referring to Bekkers.

Theo

Haha. gotcha!!!

heard Dekker more. Theo must be the greek connection...

> > The issue is not AMD itself. Its because people that go
> > AMD because it is cheap also buy their other components
> > because they are cheap. If you build an Intel computer
> > cheaply you have the same problem.
> >
> > Eric
>
> This is dead right. You have hit the nail on the head.
>
> However I chose AMD for this particular machine for a
> reason at the time but also chose high quality components.
> The cost had nothing to do with it. Infact the motherboard
> I wanted was more expensive than I would have paid if it
> were intel.

I tend to get MBs around $150. The next upgrade (sometime
around this time next year) will probably be a new socket
939 MB, A64, my current 1GB Mushkin PC3500 and a new video
card. Depending on what is out then. If Prescott is killing
A64 by then I'll consider it. If the performance difference
is marginal its the A64.

Eric

"flyingdutch" wrote

> Haha. gotcha!!!
>
> heard Dekker more. Theo must be the greek connection...

I believe it's the Geek connection.

Theo the Geek.

Originally posted by Theo Bekkers
"flyingdutch" wrote

> Haha. gotcha!!!
>
> heard Dekker more. Theo must be the greek connection...

I believe it's the Geek connection.

Theo the Geek.

Boom-tsshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!