OT - I'm disgusted!

Alan Erskine

Guest
I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling a Pemtium 4 2.6Gh computer
for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.

We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Alan Erskine wrote:

> I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling a Pemtium 4 2.6Gh
> computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.
>
> We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!

You're shopping at the wrong places. Without knowing what the guts contain, (which affects the
price significantly) a similar system here, with an "everything-on-board" motherboard, lan
interface, 256M ram, 40G hdd, CDRW, 15" LCD monitor, keyboard, optical mouse, speakers and PCI
modem comes to about AU$1200. I would imagine cheaper if you want to put it together yourself.

On the other hand, if you want a beefy higher-specced "P4 2.6G" system, you could easily spend two
to three times that. More if you want optional extras like a screen and keyboard.

It's all in the guts and frilly bits.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

Oh dear.

Here we go again...

Usenet kook-ism, long-running vendettas, allegations that are spurious, dubious, circumstantial,
identity theft and fraud, fake postings...

In short, the whole burger, with beetroot.

Cf: "The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks"... not that I would have a clue either way.

Here we go again...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=COMP&p id=00364034000

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,
not the fifteen GWB proposes.
Give NASA a real challenge
[email protected]

"John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Erskine wrote:
>
> > I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're
selling a
> > Pemtium 4 2.6Gh computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on
> > $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.
> >
> > We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!
>
> You're shopping at the wrong places. Without knowing what the guts
contain,
> (which affects the price significantly) a similar system here, with an
> "everything-on-board" motherboard, lan interface, 256M ram, 40G hdd, CDRW,
15"
> LCD monitor, keyboard, optical mouse, speakers and PCI modem comes to
about
> AU$1200. I would imagine cheaper if you want to put it together yourself.
>
> On the other hand, if you want a beefy higher-specced "P4 2.6G" system,
you
> could easily spend two to three times that. More if you want optional
extras
> like a screen and keyboard.
>
> It's all in the guts and frilly bits.
>
> --
> Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

To go further off topic given the improvement in the A$ (approx 50% appreciation) in the last twelve months has anyone noticed a substantial decrease in the price of bikes and components.

Mike

Alan Erskine wrote:
> http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=COMP&pid=00364034000

That's ok, seems like a short-speced system with no monitor.

You lose the monitor (AU$460 was as low as I could find for an LCD 15") brings the price to 1200-
460 = AU$740.

But you get a card reader built in. I could only find a 6in1 card reader, but who cares, any more
than CF, SD and perhaps MMC or XD for cameras is pointless for most of the market (+AU$45).

It has five USB ports, dunno how many this one has, but a USB hub (+AU$20) or if you want to
splurge on USB2 (+AU$42) will cover you for that.

Which brings the total to about AU$830.

But you get XPhome (I'm guessing the M$ tax is about $200?), a name-brand PC, and the system
recover CD's which are useful for not-so-tech-savvy users, (you work out how much that is worth to
you), that would bring it to just over AU$1000.

Bring that over from the states, freight would cost a bomb, you likely lose the warranty, and
you're up for a new power cable at least (be warned that I've seen some PSU's for the US market
that are NOT 110-240 switchable), or up for a power supply at worst (will our standard ATX's fit
the HP? You guess)

Which brings the grand total to: Bzzzt, you lose. Thanks, but no thanks.

If you're talking Global Positioning Systems on the other hand, now *that's*
a rort. Depending on what you want, buying from the US would be well worthwhile.

And, it would be much easier to attach a GPS unit to your bicycle than it would be a desktop PC
(clutching at straws trying to keep on topic).

Of which I've done both (don't ask).

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

Krista Computers (spelling) over the road from Swinbourne.. P4 2.6, 256, 80Gb, Onboard everything,
17inch CRT, Pioneer DVDR 106, kyb, mouse, speakers.. $1050 in early Jan....

What's more off topic is the cost of IT related certification exams.. they pay USD$125.. we pay
AUD$240 (cisco) and AUD$255 (microsoft).. which is around USD$180... I guess the extra costs go
towards clearing out the sheep and kangaroos out of the 'secure testing centre'...

cheers, gpl

server.bigpond.net.au...

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:31:43 +0000, Alan Erskine wrote:

> I just checked out the U.S. Sears sight (www.sears.com). They're selling a Pemtium 4 2.6Gh
> computer for $749.99 - that works out to be just on $1,000AUD at .75c to the U.S. dollar.
>
> We're paying 2k bucks plus for something like this! Disgusting!

j'reckon ?

For starters add 10% tax, and then add the bit of profit they grift from shipping & handling. That's
probably going get it up near US$1000.

If you shop around, goto a "Computer Fair" you'll get something fairly close to this value. I got a
system for the kids in october, cost $1200, but with LCD screen, and extra RAM. (IIRC it was only a
1400 athlon, but this was 5 months ago). I reckon you can come to within 15% of a US price,
especially if you take into account delivery.

-kt

you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
AUS$260 mark

from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark up. yes I know you have to get
your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a lot of change for postage and a charger. In fact with
the price I have seen on this newgroup for replacement battery sticks. It would be cheaper to buy a
complete set from the states just for the batteries. The Vistalite Code 25 Light Set comes with 3
battery sticks for AUS$200. I have heard of prices around the AUS$90 for replacements. now I know
why l made my own stu

p.s. as always l could be missing something

Originally posted by Fred
Oh dear.

Here we go again...

Usenet kook-ism, long-running vendettas, allegations that are spurious, dubious, circumstantial,
identity theft and fraud, fake postings...

<snip>

Here we go again...

Completely OT, listening to Tony Shaw on 3AW this morn reminds me why everyone hates Collingwood.

Originally posted by coppershark
To go further off topic given the improvement in the A$ (approx 50% appreciation) in the last twelve months has anyone noticed a substantial decrease in the price of bikes and components.

Mike

None!!!

I actually wrote a letter to the bike-traders assoc re this as I did the maths similar to you and realised either our importers were getting dudded from their OS counterparts or the retailer is getting dudded by the importer/wholesaler

They responded and said, sadly it seems on the whole the wholesalers have basically kept the price they sell to retailers identical for the same product that they now fork out almost half the amount of moula for!!!

So, basically we are getting screwed. Buying over the internet is basically de rigeur if you can be bothered (I wont even start the rant about availability and range...) and let's face it, the majority of warranties etc are so lame these days the risk is diminished to virtual irrelevence

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
> AUS$260 mark
>
> from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark up. yes I know you have to
> get your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a lot of change for postage and a charger. In
fact
> with the price I have seen on this newgroup for replacement battery
sticks.
> It would be cheaper to buy a complete set from the states just for the batteries. The Vistalite
> Code 25 Light Set comes with 3 battery sticks for AUS$200. I have heard of prices around the
> AUS$90 for replacements. now I know why l made my own stu
>
> p.s. as always l could be missing something

No way you are not missing anything. I travel to the US a bit for work and bike stuff is HEAPS
cheaper over there than here. Could be buying power? Not too sure but when I need something I wait
till I go. Supergo is nothing special. Even their LBS's are heaps cheaper after the conversion.
Even when the dollar was 50c or so. Somethings are only slightly less... Pedals and shoes etc are
dirt cheap.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:25:21 +1100, stu wrote:

> you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
> AUS$260 mark
>
> from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark up. yes I know you have to
> get your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a lot of change for postage and a charger. ...
> p.s. as always l could be missing something

It's the NiMh not the NiCd right?

The NiCd seems to be significantly cheaper.

-kt

"kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:25:21 +1100, stu wrote:
>
> > you want something to be disgusted at? try this Vistalite Code 15 Light Set in oz around the
> > AUS$260 mark
> >
> > from supergo in the good old US of A US$69.98 I make that a 300% mark
up.
> > yes I know you have to get your own battery charger, but $174 leaves a
lot
> > of change for postage and a charger. ...
> > p.s. as always l could be missing something
>
> It's the NiMh not the NiCd right?
>
> The NiCd seems to be significantly cheaper.
>
> -kt
not sure what you are asking

they are both the same product, they are both NiMh

NiMh can be rechargered more often NiCDs and NiMh are about the same price now MiMh dont like being
overcharged or to fast a discharge besides NiCd weigh about 30% more than NiMh lol

GPLama wrote:
> Krista Computers (spelling) over the road from Swinbourne.. P4 2.6, 256, 80Gb,
> Onboard everything, 17inch CRT, Pioneer DVDR 106, kyb, mouse, speakers.. $1050
> in early Jan....

SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte all in one board (with AGP
slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400 watt pwer supply 256 RAM $350

people pay money for AMD? and use them for business!?!? ;)

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:40496a79@tyson...
> GPLama wrote:
> > Krista Computers (spelling) over the road from Swinbourne.. P4 2.6,
256,
> > 80Gb, Onboard everything, 17inch CRT, Pioneer DVDR 106, kyb, mouse,
> > speakers.. $1050 in early Jan....
> >

> SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte all in one board (with AGP
> slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400 watt pwer supply 256 RAM $350

"dave" wrote

> SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte
> all in one
board
> (with AGP slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400
> watt pwer
supply
> 256 RAM $350

Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.

We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to me
for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?

We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
operation.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "dave" wrote
>

>>SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte
>>all in one
>
> board
>
>>(with AGP slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400
>>watt pwer
>
> supply
>
>> 256 RAM $350
>

> Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
> can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
> we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
> processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.
>
> We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
> power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to
> me for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?
>
> We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
> operation.
>
> Theo

Well after 10 years as a tech.. I know whats good .. whats
ok and whats rubbish.. THis stuff is ok. The cases
actually fairly good.. The power supplies ok.. would
personly like another fan but none of em have failed in
service and we have lots

And the intel AMD debate is ****.. but people will have
their opinions. We bought a bunch of computers for work
purely cos one of the support people convinced finance that
Acers support would save us the work.. Acer then wanted $480
to replace a (admittedly deliberatly destroyed) CDROM.

If you support Intel and only drive holden cos Ford a **** I
could care less . You have your opinion. Good on you.

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "dave" wrote
>
> > SHop I deal with for work. AMD 2.6 128Ram. Gigabyte all
> > in one
> board
> > (with AGP slot and gigabit ethernet) Minitower with 400
> > watt pwer
> supply
> > 256 RAM $350
>
> Dave, yes you can buy cheaper computers, unfortunately you
> can't buy good cheaper computers. We are an IT company and
> we assemble computers for our clients. We only use Intel
> processors and Intel motherboards with quality cases.
>
> We pay around $110 wholesale for a minitower with a 400 W
> power supply. I've had a 400 W minitower case offered to
> me for $30. We don't buy them, guess why?
>
> We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
> operation.
>
> Theo

There are many major manufacturers that disagree with you.
My Toshiba laptop has AMD. My desktop has AMD (which I built
myself from hand chosen components) and I develop high end
automation software for major international industries with
multi billion dollar turnovers on it without any issues.
However I also use Intel - my test rig is all intel based
but not through any other reason than fluke. (I also swap
between ford and holden in my cars too). I have never
noticed any reliability difference between the two
processors apart from the very early days of AMD.

The Intel is best argument goes along side the argument
that Compaq (HP) are better PC's than your purpose built
assembled computers from little IT companies. If you take a
gander inside one of these Compaqs(HP) and you actually
know what you are looking at you will know this is a
rubbish argument.

Peter

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in news:WUM2c.92115$Wa.65954@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

>> We haven't used an AMD processor in our first 14 years of
>> operation.

I used to work for a major international computer
manufacturer. We were going to produce an AMD PC for the
corporate market. The pre-production units had gone out to
market for testing and there was a *lot* of positive
feedback regarding performance, price etc. In the end we did
not produce the AMD based machine. Why? Because a certain
rival processor manufacturer gave us lots of marketing
funding to push the machines based on their processors.
Legal? Certainly. Ethical? Kind of, but that's just business
unfortunately.