OT- Immortality?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by garagedog, Feb 19, 2008.

1. garagedog

garagedog New Member

"These perishable bodies of ours are not able to live forever. But let me tell you a wonderful secret God has revealed to us. Not all of us will die, but we will all be transformed." —1 Corinthians 15:50-51

Historian Will Durant, when he reached the age of 70, said, "To live forever would be the greatest curse imaginable."

Will we live forever? The answer is "yes" and "no." Will our bodies live forever? No. Will our bodies cease to exist at one point? Absolutely. But the soul is immortal. Each one of us has a soul. It is the soul that gives each of us uniqueness and personality. That part of us will live forever.

Today, many people are searching for immortality, that elusive fountain of youth. Sometimes, it is hard for us to accept the fact that life is passing and death is approaching. One day, you will wake up and realize you have more life behind you than you have in front of you. But the question we should be asking is not, "Can I find immorality?" Rather, it should be, "Where will I spend my immortality?"

If you have put your faith in Jesus Christ and have asked Him to forgive you of your sin, the Bible teaches that you will go immediately into the presence of God in heaven when you die. That is God's promise to you.

But God not only promises life beyond the grave. He also promises life during life, not just an existence, but a life that is worth living. Jesus said, "My purpose is to give life in all its fullness" (John 10:10).

That is the hope and promise for all Christians. That is why the believer does not have to be afraid to die. Or afraid to live.

Greg Laurie
    Senior Pastor
    Harvest Christian Fellowship
    Riverside, Ca
    http://www.harvest.org/

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the religious spam. You may be a preacher, but I don't think anyone asked to be preached to.

3. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

I'm a believer too, and I believe what you believe, that the only way to live forever, is through the grace of Christ, and not some medicine or crazy remidy

4. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

+1.

5. velo711

velo711 New Member

+2 on the preaching.

6. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

There is no god.

7. geoinmillbrook

geoinmillbrook New Member

There is methinks sometimes only the imaginations of man, who cannot intellectualize the fact that someday they will be no more, or why they are here. This topic has been flogged before.

Science tells us that living organisms will someday reach their enthalpic and entropic physical minima, yet I do hope actually that there is something in us that will survive - that we do today not fully understand.
    No one has actually proved that there is a diety that shepards that part of us that may be called a soul. There are writings of men in books and tablets that profess to be the word of such a being, but none of which can be proved true, by most definitions of proof. There is propagation of supposition by those that tend to twist said words to their own designs and will, some out of the desire or need for power and control, some out of the secret desire to fondle little boys under the protection of an organized veil of piety and virtuosity- and of course most that are plain hopeful and faithful that there is an afterlife and a power that can direct a set of mores and values that make the world a more livable place, especially for the needy and despondent.

Some of the wisest words I have ever heard were " You are God. We are God. Love is God. Find God in your children and your spouse and the people closest to you. Treat them as you would think they should be treated based on your love for them, and hope that the kindness is returned ." In these thoughts, God lives for me, the rest of it ... who the heck knows.

I vote "indeterminate at this time". But hope for something else when I will be on my way to my own physical energy minima. :)

8. cuervo

cuervo New Member

+1.

9. alienator

Very well said. Very pragmatic.

I wish you much success and happiness when you finally reach your ground state.

10. geoinmillbrook

geoinmillbrook New Member

Same sentiments back at you man, live long and prosper till the very end-- nanu nanu !
    I also think of words that a local hero from our town professed on his own death bed --"Why Not ?" That was Timothy Leary, he lived during his heyday at an estate near us. I did not know him but his legend lives on. So -- "Why Not?" you can't stop it, and really -- "who knows ?" Do the best while you can while you are here, enjoy it and make it nice for others if you can. No one really knows for sure what is on the other side :)

George

11. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Everybody is an atheist - with regard to everyone's god but their own.

12. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

I was waiting for someone to post something like this:D

13. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Your just not looking hard enough:)

14. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

This is the Bike Cafe where all subjects are open to discussion and all viewpoints can be aired. Just because a subject is not something that you agree with or don't particularly want to read does not automatically make it spam.

15. alienator

Well, golly, thanks for the tip. I voiced my opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't automatically make it something you need to be concerned with.

16. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

yo, OP...

thanks for the post.

sincerely.

17. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

Jesus speaks to me regularly. Just last night he said "that annoying little shit Greg Laurie is in for a big surprise when his corporal self dies and his soul gets repeatedly sodomized with a saguaro cactus by my minions...assholes who spam in my name are the worst sinners!"

18. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Greg, please continue to post here regularly. Your message is refreshing to some of us who don't consider it to be spamming as you are not asking for us to purchase something from you, other than to buy into reality at no charge. There, someone has asked you to preach to us:) .

19. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me that people actually believe in the stuff religion passes around.

People willingly suspend their disbelief, and then want their governments to do the same.

It's frightening.

20. ebojorq

ebojorq New Member

I actually think it's somewhat healthy to believe in something as long as it doesn't become a fanatism.

Call it God, Buda, Shiva, Yemaya, Sex whatever... there is something out there that drives you to accomplish things. Find what it is and you'll find your god.