OT:(-ish) Screw-in valves?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Microthing, May 23, 2003.

  1. Microthing

    Microthing Guest

    Ok, daft question time... I'm after screw-in valves for an idea I have (possibly patent-able) and so
    far, the only things I've found that look vaguely like they'll do the job are these Marzocchi Air
    Valves for air sprung forks. But before I fork out (groan - sorry) seven quid for one, can anyone
    tell me if it's the same size valve as a standard car/bike tyre valve? Or can anyone point me in a
    slightly cheaper direction?

    Apologies if this is the wrong group for this question, but I honestly can't think where else
    I'd ask...

    Tags:

  2. Microthing

    Microthing Guest

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "MicroThing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, daft question time... I'm after screw-in valves for an idea I have (possibly patent-able) and
    > so far, the only things I've found that look vaguely like they'll do the job are these Marzocchi
    > Air Valves for air sprung forks. But before I fork out (groan - sorry) seven quid for one,
    can
    > anyone tell me if it's the same size valve as a standard car/bike tyre valve? Or can anyone point
    > me in a slightly cheaper direction?
    >
    > Apologies if this is the wrong group for this question, but I honestly
    can't
    > think where else I'd ask...

    Are you talking about Schrader valve cores? Which is what Marzocchi uses. They may use aircraft
    grade ones which are capable of withstanding higher pressure.

    Mike

  4. Microthing

    Microthing Guest

    > "MicroThing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, daft question time... I'm after screw-in valves for an idea I have (possibly patent-able)
    > > and so far, the only things I've found that look vaguely like they'll do the job are these
    > > Marzocchi Air Valves for air sprung forks. But before I fork out (groan - sorry) seven quid
    > > for one,
    > can
    > > anyone tell me if it's the same size valve as a standard car/bike tyre valve? Or can anyone
    > > point me in a slightly cheaper direction?
    > >
    > > Apologies if this is the wrong group for this question, but I honestly
    > can't
    > > think where else I'd ask...
    > >

    > Are you talking about Schrader valve cores? Which is what Marzocchi uses. They may use aircraft
    > grade ones which are capable of withstanding higher pressure.
    >
    > Mike

    Not sure - did you look at the link I posted?

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C10613BA4

    Thanks!

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "MicroThing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "MicroThing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Ok, daft question time... I'm after screw-in valves for an idea I have (possibly patent-able)
    > > > and so far, the only things I've found that
    look
    > > > vaguely like they'll do the job are these Marzocchi Air Valves for air sprung forks. But
    > > > before I fork out (groan - sorry) seven quid for
    one,
    > > can
    > > > anyone tell me if it's the same size valve as a standard car/bike tyre valve? Or can anyone
    > > > point me in a slightly cheaper direction?
    > > >
    > > > Apologies if this is the wrong group for this question, but I honestly
    > > can't
    > > > think where else I'd ask...
    > > >

    > > Are you talking about Schrader valve cores? Which is what Marzocchi
    uses.
    > > They may use aircraft grade ones which are capable of withstanding
    higher
    > > pressure.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Not sure - did you look at the link I posted?
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C10613BA4
    >
    > Thanks!

    The pics won't show up for some reason. But I'm pretty sure they are just schrader valve cores.

    Mike

  6. Microthing

    Microthing Guest

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "MicroThing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The pics won't show up for some reason. But I'm pretty sure they are just schrader valve cores.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Sorry - try this, but you'll have to scroll down to the Air Valves bit:
    >
    > http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/UK_BIKE_STORE_MARZOCCHI_EXTERNAL_PARTS_461.html

    Yep, that be a Schrader valve....same thing as your car tire valve.
    http://www.schrader-valves.co.uk/

    --
    Slacker

  8. Microthing

    Microthing Guest

  9. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "MicroThing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The pics won't show up for some reason. But I'm pretty sure they are just schrader valve cores.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Sorry - try this, but you'll have to scroll down to the Air Valves bit:
    >
    > http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/UK_BIKE_STORE_MARZOCCHI_EXTERNAL_PARTS_461.html

    Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for "schrader", being from the states I do not know of a
    similiar site in the UK but I am sure you can find these as they are very commonly used in air tanks
    and tires (tyres). You most likey can find them at good quality automotive shops as well.