OT (-ish), Weather Station, La Crosse 7014

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Pardoe, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Steve Pardoe

    Steve Pardoe Guest

    I've been wondering whether to get one of these indoor weather station
    thingies with a radio-linked outside temperature sensor, and saw a La Crosse
    Technology WS-7014CH Wireless Weather Station in a shop today. It looks
    quite neat and is only £40, but I have a couple of reservations:

    - the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and I'm
    not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show the UK
    time);

    - although it has a "trends" feature it doesn't seem to have a barometer
    display.

    Has anyone here used one of these, ideally in the North of England or even
    Scotland, and could recommend / diss this model, or suggest alternatives?

    Thanks,

    Steve P

    PS crossposted
     
    Tags:


  2. In article <[email protected]>, Steve Pardoe
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I've been wondering whether to get one of these indoor weather station
    >thingies with a radio-linked outside temperature sensor, and saw a La Crosse
    >Technology WS-7014CH Wireless Weather Station in a shop today. It looks
    >quite neat and is only £40, but I have a couple of reservations:
    >
    >- the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and I'm
    >not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show the UK
    >time);


    I have 3 radio controlled clocks that work fine in NE Cheshire (Hyde).
    >
    >- although it has a "trends" feature it doesn't seem to have a barometer
    >display.
    >
    >Has anyone here used one of these, ideally in the North of England or even
    >Scotland, and could recommend / diss this model, or suggest alternatives?


    There is a similar one in the Aldi Specials at the moment for £18 with
    current pressure display as well as trend (and max / min on pressure and
    in / out temp ). I bought one last week and it seems OK. Aldi
    electronics have a 3 year guarantee too.

    The Aldi in Hyde had quite a few left on Friday so you might be lucky if
    you get to your nearest Aldi soon.

    They have a store finder on http://www.aldi.co.uk/

    --

    Dominic Sexton
     
  3. Dominic Sexton wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Steve Pardoe
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >> I've been wondering whether to get one of these indoor weather station
    >> thingies with a radio-linked outside temperature sensor, and saw a La
    >> Crosse
    >> Technology WS-7014CH Wireless Weather Station in a shop today. It looks
    >> quite neat and is only £40, but I have a couple of reservations:
    >>
    >> - the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and
    >> I'm
    >> not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show
    >> the UK
    >> time);

    >
    >
    > I have 3 radio controlled clocks that work fine in NE Cheshire (Hyde).
    >
    >>
    >> - although it has a "trends" feature it doesn't seem to have a barometer
    >> display.
    >>
    >> Has anyone here used one of these, ideally in the North of England or
    >> even
    >> Scotland, and could recommend / diss this model, or suggest alternatives?

    >
    >
    > There is a similar one in the Aldi Specials at the moment for £18 with
    > current pressure display as well as trend (and max / min on pressure and
    > in / out temp ). I bought one last week and it seems OK. Aldi
    > electronics have a 3 year guarantee too.


    And yet another one in todays Daily Telegraph. Must be Christmas...

    http://shop.telegraph.co.uk/csp/tel/readeroffers/index.csp

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum
     
  4. mac

    mac Guest

    free download weather watcher it has everything you need
     
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    "Steve Pardoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been wondering whether to get one of these indoor weather station
    > thingies <snip>
    > - the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and I'm
    > not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show the UK
    > time);
    > Has anyone here used one of these, ideally in the North of England <snip>

    Steve
    We have what appears to be a similar one to the one you mention, TFA
    (German); recently the clock went onto Europe time although it had happily
    run UK time for over a year, possibly changed un-noticed when clocks altered
    last month? Can't find instructions to rectify. Barometer has worked fine
    and is useful. Outside temp has been intermittent after several months
    working well; changed outside batteries, still intermittent. Went several
    weeks over summer not working then when I tried to sort out aforementioned
    time problem, got the external temperature back, but still not reading for
    periods (of a few hours probably).
    So ours isn't great but probably OK for money - barometer is fine.
    Mike
     
  6. sarah

    sarah Guest

    Steve Pardoe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been wondering whether to get one of these indoor weather station
    > thingies with a radio-linked outside temperature sensor, and saw a La Crosse
    > Technology WS-7014CH Wireless Weather Station in a shop today. It looks
    > quite neat and is only £40, but I have a couple of reservations:

    [-]
    >
    > Has anyone here used one of these, ideally in the North of England or even
    > Scotland, and could recommend / diss this model, or suggest alternatives?


    I can't suggest alternatives, but uk.sci.weather would be a good place
    to ask. Real Meteorologists have Davis stations, but I *think* some
    people have or had Oregon Scientific indoor/outdoor models.

    regards
    sarah


    --
    Think of it as evolution in action.
     
  7. Steve Pardoe

    Steve Pardoe Guest

    "sarah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1h7vt4g.1ke77os1wlm51hN%[email protected]
    <snip>
    > I can't suggest alternatives, but uk.sci.weather would be a good place
    > to ask.


    Good tip, thanks, I'll try searching that group and _then_ see whether I
    dare ask!

    > Real Meteorologists have Davis stations, but I *think* some
    > people have or had Oregon Scientific indoor/outdoor models.


    Right, the lady in the shop said Davis ones were the business (I gather they
    can be linked to the Interweb thingy to upload their readings automatically)
    but I gather they are rather too expensive for a stocking-filler.

    Steve
     
  8. Steve Pardoe

    Steve Pardoe Guest

    "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Steve Pardoe
    > <[email protected]> writes

    <snip>
    > >- the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and

    I'm
    > >not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show the

    UK
    > >time);

    >
    > I have 3 radio controlled clocks that work fine in NE Cheshire (Hyde).


    Mmmm, but are they controlled from MSF (Rugby, UK) or DCF (Germany), and if
    the latter do they display GMT / BST?

    > There is a similar one in the Aldi Specials at the moment for £18 with
    > current pressure display as well as trend (and max / min on pressure and
    > in / out temp ). I bought one last week and it seems OK. Aldi
    > electronics have a 3 year guarantee too.


    That's cheap : I'll have a look in our Northwich Aldi (on my way back from
    Lidl, obviously).

    Cheers,
    Steve
     
  9. Steve Pardoe wrote:

    >>I can't suggest alternatives, but uk.sci.weather would be a good place
    >>to ask.


    Sure! The uk.sci.weather FAQ has a section on equipment suppliers:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/booty.weather/metinfo/uswfaq.htm#7

    > Right, the lady in the shop said Davis ones were the business (I gather they
    > can be linked to the Interweb thingy to upload their readings automatically)
    > but I gather they are rather too expensive for a stocking-filler.


    The Davis stations are probably the best you can get without going the
    whole hog and getting a stevenson screen with lots of expensive
    equipment. They aren't quite Met Office standard though. They cost from
    about 500 quid, so unless you're stocking are large then you might want
    to find something cheaper!

    BTW. My Canterbury Weather website - http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/
    - uses my Davis station to give almost-live weather for Canterbury.

    --
    Jonathan Stott
    Canterbury Weather: http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/
    Reverse my e-mail address to reply by e-mail
     
  10. Steve Pardoe wrote:
    > "sarah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1h7vt4g.1ke77os1wlm51hN%[email protected]
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I can't suggest alternatives, but uk.sci.weather would be a good place
    >>to ask.

    >
    >
    > Good tip, thanks, I'll try searching that group and _then_ see whether I
    > dare ask!
    >
    >
    >>Real Meteorologists have Davis stations, but I *think* some
    >>people have or had Oregon Scientific indoor/outdoor models.

    >
    >
    > Right, the lady in the shop said Davis ones were the business (I gather they
    > can be linked to the Interweb thingy to upload their readings automatically)
    > but I gather they are rather too expensive for a stocking-filler.


    There's a good example of what can be done with a Davis station and a
    bit of software here --> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.e.martin/



    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum
     
  11. In article <[email protected]>, Steve Pardoe
    <[email protected]> writes
    >> I have 3 radio controlled clocks that work fine in NE Cheshire (Hyde).

    >
    >Mmmm, but are they controlled from MSF (Rugby, UK) or DCF (Germany), and if
    >the latter do they display GMT / BST?


    The book for the latest weather station thingummy mentioned above says
    it uses the German one. Can't be r-sed to find the books for t'others as
    that one works fine so should be no problem even in the wilds of darkest
    Cheshire.

    And yes they currently display GMT and switch automagically betwixt BST
    n GMT. I don't remember having to set a time zone with any of them so
    perhaps the UK is the default (for these models).

    --

    Dominic Sexton
     
  12. sarah

    sarah Guest

    Steve Pardoe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "sarah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1h7vt4g.1ke77os1wlm51hN%[email protected]
    > <snip>
    > > I can't suggest alternatives, but uk.sci.weather would be a good place
    > > to ask.

    >
    > Good tip, thanks, I'll try searching that group and _then_ see whether I
    > dare ask!


    If you've the least doubt, ask. usw is full of tremendously
    knowledgeable and helpful people. Will Hand's forecast (usually up on
    his website at http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/weather.htm) is often
    very useful.

    regards
    sarah

    --
    Think of it as evolution in action.
     
  13. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    Steve Pardoe wrote:
    > I've been wondering whether to get one of these indoor weather station
    > thingies with a radio-linked outside temperature sensor, and saw a La Crosse
    > Technology WS-7014CH Wireless Weather Station in a shop today. It looks
    > quite neat and is only £40, but I have a couple of reservations:
    >
    > - the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and I'm
    > not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show the UK
    > time);
    >
    > - although it has a "trends" feature it doesn't seem to have a barometer
    > display.
    >
    > Has anyone here used one of these, ideally in the North of England or even
    > Scotland, and could recommend / diss this model, or suggest alternatives?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve P
    >
    > PS crossposted
    >
    >
    >
    >

    One of the people at work uses an Oregon Scientific weather
    station, costs a bit more that £40 though. He has a web site at;

    http://www.philholmes.net/weather/

    It's worth a look to see what can be done.

    --
    Regards

    Nick
     
  14. In uk.rec.walking Steve Pardoe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Steve Pardoe
    >> <[email protected]> writes

    > <snip>
    >> >- the radio controlled clock uses the Frankfurt DCF77 transmitter, and

    > I'm
    >> >not convinced that it would work reliably in Cheshire (or even show the

    > UK
    >> >time);

    >>
    >> I have 3 radio controlled clocks that work fine in NE Cheshire (Hyde).


    > Mmmm, but are they controlled from MSF (Rugby, UK) or DCF (Germany), and if
    > the latter do they display GMT / BST?


    I don't know the model you mention, but I do have one radio clock
    which uses Rugby, and another which uses the German DCF. Both
    automatically switch summer/winter UK times properly. The German-tuned
    one has a useful extra feature in that it detects very heavy rain in the
    Channel. It signals this by being unable to acquire a time fix, i.e.,
    the little aerial icon disappears from the LC display.

    Having bought a few radio clocks of different kinds for presents to
    friends, and tested them, I notice that so far the only model which
    keeps time to the split second is my Oregon Scientific one. All the
    others have shown a persistent slight lag of a fraction of a second,
    which I put down to crap programming.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
     
  15. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful person
    Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> said
    <big snip>
    >Having bought a few radio clocks of different kinds for presents to
    >friends, and tested them, I notice that so far the only model which
    >keeps time to the split second is my Oregon Scientific one. All the
    >others have shown a persistent slight lag of a fraction of a second,
    >which I put down to crap programming.


    How times change - here we are worrying about a fraction of a second,
    and 300 years ago they couldn't even get the day right (to the nearest
    week). 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.
     
Loading...
Loading...