OT ketchup on steak

Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<big snip>

> Why be so hateful towards somone that cares about their job? I'm not defending the primadonnas
> that are out there, but they are there
in
> _any_ business. I suppose you must insult the new girl behind the counter at McDonalds
that
> gives a genuine cheerful and friendly "Hello" because you're not paying
for
> that?
>
> Westie

It's all academic anyhow - ketchup sucks smelly socks. Now, if I went to a great restaurant and
ordered an extremely brilliant steak, I'd be asking for hot sauce, or at least some fresh sliced
chiles on it. If they couldn't provide it, I'd use my own, if they argued, I'd make them eat it too.
Soon shut the bastards up, that would......

Shaun aRe

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> allowed to

> > > I make my living feeding people. If you go to a _really_good_
> restaurant
> > > (and I don't mean Denny's) and pay the big bucks for a feed then it's
> kinda
> > > implied that you are prepared to pay for the flavour and taste as that
> one
> > > particular chef does it. After all, a prime piece of beef is a prime
> piece
> > > of beef. It's only how each restaurant cooks it that separates establishments.
> >
> > And my decision to put something on my steak effects them how? Who is paying who to cook
> > the meal?
>
> Obviously your money would be wasted if you spent it at the kind of restaurant that I am
> talking about.

Why? Am I not able to enjoy a good meal cooked by a professional?

> I'm not saying that you can't do it or shouldn't do it, I'm just trying to explain why it might be
> considered rude.

And I'm explaining that the "customer is always right." Even when the customer is wrong, the
customer is "right." That's where the next paycheck comes from, so keeping an eye toward that
location makes good business sense.

> Chefs in very highly regarded establishments WOULD be offended. I have worked with some top-level
> chefs and not only would most of them be insulted but a couple would actually have you removed
> from the premises if you got them on a bad day. <laugh>

These establishments are a vanishingly small percentage of the total. But if a guy comes in and
drops a grand on dinner, then how he eats it is none of the chef's business.

> > When the chef pays me to eat his "creation," then we'll talk about who gets to decide who puts
> > what where. BTW, I used to work in the food service industry myself. In a nice place, where the
> > customer was always right, and if I wanted a tip, I'd get the damn ketchup if the guy wanted it.
> > If he's laying down $40 for a plate of food, who am *I* to tell him what he can put on it?
>
> Having worked in the industry I'm surprised that you don't know this already. Believe it or not,
> such places do exist.

Of course they exist. Not many, though. And those places can afford to be snotty to customers,
because there's a line out the door. But there comes a point when that won't fly - a restaurant will
not last forever like that.

> Of course being insanely wealthy, as with most things, allows you to get away with a lot. So even
> if the chef finds your ketchup request rude, he'll probably squirt it right on the plate for you
> if it's worth it to him. But that's no surprise, is it?

You now "get it." That's my point.

> > > So,.......... if you add ketchup, you are not only adding a blob of bad tasting
> generic
> > > reddish gunge on your tasty steak, you are destroying the carefully
> crafted
> > > flavours and taste sensation that has been prepared for you by a chef
> that
> > > has spent years perfecting his craft and technique and abilities.
> >
> > LOL! What does he care if I am a cretin? He gets paid the same whether I eat it with or without
> > ketchup.
>
> Maybe not. Allowing cretins to eat at his establishment may taint the reputation and offend other
> more distingushed customers. So he may well NOT get paid the same in the longrun if he has
> ketchup-swilling cretins in his restaurant that effect the goodwill of his business. Image can be
> everything. Especially if Michelin stars are involved.

Maybe if we are talking about a restaurant in France. And a small number in the U.S. But, like I
said, these place have no end of folks who need to be in the place "to be seen," and not necessarily
to eat the chef's pride and joy. And if you are there to be seen, restrictions on condiments make no
difference.

> > That's why it's called the
> > food *service* industry.
>
> You confuse "service" with "servility".

You are an oaf. I do not confuse anything.

********. Pure invention on your part.

> And if he can feel satisfaction and pride then he can feel insulted too.

Sure, but REALISM is where the rubber meets the road. An idiot may want to mix $100/bottle scotch
with coke, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to serve it to him that way. It's *his* money and my
tip on the line.

> Just as you might feel insulted if someone criticised your handiwork or job performance.

Depends. Is it *****ing just for it's own sake, or is it a real criticism? In the first case, it's
not on me, so no offense is taken. In the second case, I brought it on myself. Just because an idiot
doesn't know something good when he sees it doesn't mean it *wasn't* good!

> And ketchup says a big, fat, hairy "I don't like how this meal tastes".

Or, it means "this is the way I prefer my beef." You are an inventive person, aren't you?

> > > So,..... It's rude, even highly insulting, to ask for ketchup at a classy
> restaurant.
> >
> > And so what?
>
> That's the whole point of this discussion, isn't it?

Yes, and it matters not at all. If the chef is an asshole, pretty soon there is no clientele to give
the boot to - depending on circumstance, of course.

> >If the waiter wants his tip, he'll bring the damn cholate sauce if I want it on there. And he
> >wants his tip, LOL!
> >
> > > It's perfectly excusable and possibly even essential at PizzaHut where a spotty 17 year old
> > > fast-cooked your steak by dropping it into the deep
> fryer
> > > for a minute or two....
> >
> > And acceptable anywhere money changes hands for food. That's the reality. If the chef doesn't
> > like it, he can kiss my butt. Really - where do these prima donnas get off - they are working in
> > a service industry. If they don't like those terms, they can go get a real job somewhere.
>
> Why be so hateful towards somone that cares about their job?

More invention on your part. The chef must keep perspective on his place in the economic food chain.
(pardon the pun.) If he doesn't like that place, maybe it's time to look at other career options.

> I'm not defending the primadonnas that are out there, but they are there in _any_ business.

We are not talking about *any* business, and you are indeed defending the prima donnas. You are
suggesting that the pride in there work should be the ultimate thing in the transaction. No, *money*
is the ultimate thing in the transaction.

> I suppose you must insult the new girl behind the counter at McDonalds that gives a genuine
> cheerful and friendly "Hello" because you're not paying for that?

You are an idiot.

Spider

"Mr. E. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "nibbles" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > hi all. this is ot. but i thought it may amuse you.. my missus reckons that its rude to ask for
> > ketchup with my steak in a restaurant. i reckon thats bull****
> >
> > if you reckon she`s wrong just reply "w" if you reckon she`s right, reply "r"
> >
> I would have asked for a hamburger instead. I don't care for steak.

That is just sick. What is wrong with Tabasco? And which Island in Louisiana is the home of Tabasco?
-r for tabasco -Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Spider" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 4:41 AM Subject: Re: OT ketchup on steak

<snip longwinded debate>

> You are an idiot.
>
> Spider

Maybe, maybe not. You've clearly shown that when it's coming from you I can take it as a compliment.

Don't forget that the original question was "Is it insulting to ask for ketchup for your steak?".
The whole debate gets very longwinded to prove one simple thing: That Yes, it can be.

To quote you :" You are suggesting that the pride in there work should be the ultimate thing in the
transaction. No, *money* is the ultimate thing in the transaction." :endquote.

No, that's not what I suggest. We actually appear to be arguing about two separate things.

I say "Adding generic condiment to a carefully prepared meal is akin to someone disliking the Mona
Lisa enough to coat it with a more appealing shade of house paint. Any chef or artist that felt any
pride in completing that work can feel insulted too."

You say "If I'm paying, I can put housepaint/ketchup on whatever I want."

Both are valid arguments. And they can exist quite happily together. Enjoy your ketchup.

Westie

Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Mr. E. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "nibbles" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >
> > > hi all. this is ot. but i thought it may amuse you.. my missus reckons that its rude to ask
> > > for ketchup with my steak in a restaurant. i reckon thats bull****
> > >
> > > if you reckon she`s wrong just reply "w" if you reckon she`s right, reply "r"
> > >
> > I would have asked for a hamburger instead. I don't care for steak.
>
> That is just sick. What is wrong with Tabasco? And which Island in Louisiana is the home of
> Tabasco? -r for tabasco -Bob

Too watery/vinegary. The Habanero one ain't too bad, I suppose.

For a real good sauce, take a bunch of red scotch bonnets (or habs) and some rock salt. Put in
blender for ages. Sieve. Put mash into a pan and heat enough to sterilise. Bottle.

To use:

Open bottle. Put some on food. Eat food. Die in screaming tears and go straight to heaven.

HTH.

Shaun aRe

Damn right! I agree with you 100% on this.

[email protected] (Spider) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>> > I would have asked for a hamburger instead. I don't care for steak.
>>
>> I make my living feeding people. If you go to a _really_good_ restaurant (and I don't mean
>> Denny's) and pay the big bucks for a feed then it's kinda implied that you are prepared to pay
>> for the flavour and taste as that one particular chef does it. After all, a prime piece of beef
>> is a prime piece of beef. It's only how each restaurant cooks it that separates establishments.
>
> And my decision to put something on my steak effects them how? Who is paying who to cook the meal?
>
> When the chef pays me to eat his "creation," then we'll talk about who gets to decide who puts
> what where. BTW, I used to work in the food service industry myself. In a nice place, where the
> customer was always right, and if I wanted a tip, I'd get the damn ketchup if the guy wanted it.
> If he's laying down $40 for a plate of food, who am *I* to tell him what he can put on it?
>
>> So,.......... if you add ketchup, you are not only adding a blob of bad tasting generic reddish
>> gunge on your tasty steak, you are destroying the carefully crafted flavours and taste sensation
>> that has been prepared for you by a chef that has spent years perfecting his craft and technique
>> and abilities.
>
> LOL! What does he care if I am a cretin? He gets paid the same whether I eat it with or without
> ketchup. That's why it's called the food *service* industry.
>
>> So,..... It's rude, even highly insulting, to ask for ketchup at a classy restaurant.
>
> And so what? If the waiter wants his tip, he'll bring the damn cholate sauce if I want it on
> there. And he wants his tip, LOL!
>
>> It's perfectly excusable and possibly even essential at PizzaHut where a spotty 17 year old
>> fast-cooked your steak by dropping it into the deep fryer for a minute or two....
>
> And acceptable anywhere money changes hands for food. That's the reality. If the chef doesn't like
> it, he can kiss my butt. Really - where do these prima donnas get off - they are working in a
> service industry. If they don't like those terms, they can go get a real job somewhere.
>
> Spider

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Spider" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
> alt.mountain-bike Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 4:41 AM Subject: Re: OT ketchup on steak
>
> <snip longwinded debate>
> >
> > You are an idiot.
> >
> > Spider
>
> Maybe, maybe not.

Most decidely so, since you are willing to misrepresent my point or ascribe to me beleifs that I do
not have, in order to try and "one-up."

> You've clearly shown that when it's coming from you I can take it as a compliment.

No, it's not a compliment. Again, you misinterpret my post to your own ends.

> Don't forget that the original question was "Is it insulting to ask for ketchup for your steak?".

I have not forgotten.

> The whole debate gets very longwinded to prove one simple thing: That Yes, it can be.

It *can* be, but isn't necessarily rude on it's face.

> To quote you :" You are suggesting that the pride in there work should be the ultimate thing in
> the transaction. No, *money* is the ultimate thing in the transaction." :endquote.
>
> No, that's not what I suggest.

That's the suggestion of your writing. If you meant to convey another thing, then you wrote it
poorly. BTW, I misspelt "their" up there.
:)

> We actually appear to be arguing about two separate things.

Doubtful.

> I say "Adding generic condiment to a carefully prepared meal is akin to someone disliking the Mona
> Lisa enough to coat it with a more appealing shade of house paint. Any chef or artist that felt
> any pride in completing that work can feel insulted too."

The Mona Lisa is a one-of-a-kind item. A steak is not. Find a better analogy, because being a
successful chef is nowhere near as hard as being a successful artist. By volume, at least.

If a chef/artist is working on a commissioned work, then the person with the money gets to decide
how the final piece tastes/looks. If the commissioner is a boor, well, that's the way it is. Unlike
a steak, a piece of art with a name on it can stand for centuries as a testement - so please, find
an analogy that works next time...

A chef might feel insulted, or it might be thoughtless to ask, but that's the hazard of selling
your services.

> You say "If I'm paying, I can put housepaint/ketchup on whatever I want."

Yes - if that was my intention. But it is not inherently rude to ask for a condiment, no matter what
the condiment is.

> Both are valid arguments. And they can exist quite happily together. Enjoy your ketchup.

Another misguided assuption on your part - I don't eat ketchup on anything. Fries, hotdogs,
whatever. Hot sauce, maybe. But rarely that, even. I stand for the rights of a consumer to treat
something for which he or she has paid in any manner he/she chooses. If others take offense, the
problem lies in THEM, not the purchaser.

Spider

> [...]
> please, find an analogy that works next time...
>
> A chef might feel insulted, or it might be thoughtless to ask, but that's the hazard of selling
> your services.
>
> > You say "If I'm paying, I can put housepaint/ketchup on whatever I
want."

> Yes - if that was my intention. But it is not inherently rude to ask for a condiment, no matter
> what the condiment is.
>
> > Both are valid arguments. And they can exist quite happily together. Enjoy your ketchup.
>
> Another misguided assuption on your part - I don't eat ketchup on anything. Fries, hotdogs,
> whatever. Hot sauce, maybe. But rarely that, even. I stand for the rights of a consumer to treat
> something for which he or she has paid in any manner he/she chooses. If others take offense, the
> problem lies in THEM, not the purchaser.

You have worn me down. You win. I give up. I surrender. Enjoy your hot sauce, maybe. ;-)

Westie

westie wrote:

" Chefs in very highly regarded establishments WOULD be offended."

if you were a plumber who had recently fitted a whole house out, would you be "offended" if the guy
chose to have neon pinktoilets and sinks? i think not just remember that in the catering industry -
as well as the consumer industry in general - customers are always right. unfortunately, this doesnt
always apply to some buisnesses, like - for example - the restaurant industry.

now, the french eat snails, frogs legs - as a delicacy, and all sorts of shite. the swedish bury
fish and eat it when it has become a rotten paste -as a delicacy, the chineese will slice off the
top of a monkeys skull and spoon its brains into their mouths, -while the monkey is still alive -as
a delicacy. these are top chefs that prepare these "creations" and if they want to throw a wobbler
at me because i want ketchup on my steak, they might want to think about these things before they
come to my table. i am a normal bloke, with normal tastes, i work, i pay my tax, i help the old lady
across the street, and i am kind to animals and small children. now if im being told by some poncy
chef that i cant whack a bit of heinz on my

wants to "inform" the chef that i want ketchup on my steak, then he can go

the chef is there to COOK FOR ME because i am the one who PAYS THEIR WAGE. simple as that. ferrari
dont give a fishes *** if you paint the thing green. intel dont spaz out if you only use linux sony
home entertainment dont loose sleep if you only watch **** - or listen to oasis .the point is, its
your cash and you can do whatever you want to do with the product you bought, be it a steak in a
nice restaurant, or a flash motor.

nibbles
p.sif you want to be completely un-original, please go off about how i havent got class or finesse,
what an idiot i am, how shite my typing is. heard it all before when i started this whole ketchup
steak thing. have a nice day :)

nibbles

"nibbles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> westie wrote:
>
> " Chefs in very highly regarded establishments WOULD be offended."
>
> if you were a plumber who had recently fitted a whole house out, would you be "offended" if the
> guy chose to have neon pinktoilets and sinks? i think not just remember that in the catering
> industry - as well as the consumer industry in general - customers are always right.
> unfortunately, this doesnt always apply to some buisnesses, like - for example - the restaurant
> industry.
>
> now, the french eat snails, frogs legs - as a delicacy, and all sorts of shite. the swedish bury
> fish and eat it when it has become a rotten paste -as a delicacy, the chineese will slice off the
> top of a monkeys
skull
> and spoon its brains into their mouths, -while the monkey is still
alive -as
> a delicacy. these are top chefs that prepare these "creations" and if they want to
throw
> a wobbler at me because i want ketchup on my steak, they might want to
think
> about these things before they come to my table. i am a normal bloke, with normal tastes, i work,
> i pay my tax, i help the old lady across the street, and i am kind to animals and small children.
now
> if im being told by some poncy chef that i cant whack a bit of heinz on my

> wants to "inform" the chef that i want ketchup on my steak, then he can go

> the chef is there to COOK FOR ME because i am the one who PAYS THEIR WAGE. simple as that. ferrari
> dont give a fishes *** if you paint the thing green. intel dont spaz out if you only use linux
> sony home entertainment dont loose sleep if you only watch **** - or
listen
> to oasis .the point is, its your cash and you can do whatever you want to do with
the
> product you bought, be it a steak in a nice restaurant, or a flash motor.
>
> nibbles
> p.sif you want to be completely un-original, please go off about how i havent got class or
> finesse, what an idiot i am, how shite my typing is. heard it all before when i started this
> whole ketchup steak thing. have a nice day :)
>
> nibbles

Dear Nibbles I don't give a toss that you feel uncultured. But I do find your post amusing. I
think that I addressed most parts of your post in other parts of the thread. You, also, have a
nice day ;-)
--
Westie

sorry westie, i didtn read your post.. shame on me!

guess thats what i get for being uncultured.:)

steve

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "nibbles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > westie wrote:
> >
> > " Chefs in very highly regarded establishments WOULD be offended."
> >
> > if you were a plumber who had recently fitted a whole house out, would
you
> > be "offended" if the guy chose to have neon pinktoilets and sinks? i think not just remember
> > that in the catering industry - as well as the consumer industry in general - customers are
> > always right. unfortunately, this doesnt always apply to some buisnesses, like - for example -
> > the restaurant industry.
> >
> > now, the french eat snails, frogs legs - as a delicacy, and all sorts of shite. the swedish bury
> > fish and eat it when it has become a rotten paste -as a delicacy, the chineese will slice off
> > the top of a monkeys
> skull
> > and spoon its brains into their mouths, -while the monkey is still
> alive -as
> > a delicacy. these are top chefs that prepare these "creations" and if they want to
> throw
> > a wobbler at me because i want ketchup on my steak, they might want to
> think
> > about these things before they come to my table. i am a normal bloke, with normal tastes, i
> > work, i pay my tax, i help
the
> > old lady across the street, and i am kind to animals and small children.
> now
> > if im being told by some poncy chef that i cant whack a bit of heinz on
my

> > wants to "inform" the chef that i want ketchup on my steak, then he can
go

like