OT: Kinda freaky

bomba wrote:

> I can explain how it works, if you want...

Go for it.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Matthew Paterson wrote:

>>I can explain how it works, if you want...
>

> Go for it.

Ok, warning, if you don't want to know how it works, or want to work it out for yourself, stop
reading now. . . . . . . . . . . . . Firstly, the maths involved is quite simple. I'm not sure whose
law it is, but it all works around multiples of nine. For some reason, subtracting the sum of the
two numbers from the original number will always give you a multiple of nine. Have a go, it's true.

Next, look at all the multiples of nine in the table to the right of the ball (90 and 99 can not be
achieved with doubles). They all share the same symbol. Hence, whichever multiple of nine you end up
with, the symbol will be the same, and the correct symbol displayed in the ball.

"But hang on, each time I do it, I get a different symbol!"

This is the sneaky bit which really makes it work. Once you've clicked on the ball, the table of
symbols is wiped, and when you click 'Try Again' a new one replaces it. The new table has a new
symbol for all the multiples of nine.

bomba wrote:
> Matthew Paterson wrote:
>
>>> I can explain how it works, if you want...
>>

>> Go for it.
>

> Ok, warning, if you don't want to know how it works, or want to work it out for yourself, stop
> reading now. . . . . . . . . . . . . Firstly, the maths involved is quite simple. I'm not sure
> whose law it is, but it all works around multiples of nine. For some reason, subtracting the sum
> of the two numbers from the original number will always give you a multiple of nine. Have a go,
> it's true.
>
> Next, look at all the multiples of nine in the table to the right of the ball (90 and 99 can not
> be achieved with doubles). They all share the same symbol. Hence, whichever multiple of nine you
> end up with, the symbol will be the same, and the correct symbol displayed in the ball.
>
> "But hang on, each time I do it, I get a different symbol!"
>
> This is the sneaky bit which really makes it work. Once you've clicked on the ball, the table of
> symbols is wiped, and when you click 'Try Again' a new one replaces it. The new table has a new
> symbol for all the multiples of nine.

its in the equations. a two number value (IE ##) can be represented as 10a+b, whereas a 3 number
value can be represented as 100a+10b+c and so on.

Anyway, so you take the number, 10a+b, and subtract the sum of the two values: (10a)+ b - (a + b);
or 10a-a+b-b . In other words, you end up with 9a.

Hence, all possible values are multiples of 9. Look for yourself: 9, 18, 27, and 36 are all the same
symbol (which changes randomly, a nice touch), so you'll always get the same answer.

Jon Bond

bomba wrote:
> Small Black Dog wrote:
>
>>> OK, I know how those "magic pick-a-card" sites work, but this is pretty clever:
>>>
>>> http://mr-31238.mr.valuehost.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf
>>>
>>> Bill "rode horribly tonight so taking it out on you" S.
>>

>> Didnt work for me.
>

> Then you obviously have a problem with basic maths.

I didn't think it worked for me either until I realized what happened.

I didn't know that the symbols/numbers would reset after clicking the crystal ball... so after I
clicked the ball I clicked "Try Again" to go back and recheck what the symbol had been... and of
course it had reset so it then appeared different and not to match.

I think I like the card trick ones better. This one was pretty simple and easy to see through.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

> OK, I know how those "magic pick-a-card" sites work, but this is pretty clever:
>
> http://mr-31238.mr.valuehost.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf
>
> Bill "rode horribly tonight so taking it out on you" S.

That aint freaky, it don't even work.

Now here's freaky: walk downstairs (last Sunday) to my carport and notice a huge, really dark red
puddle in this chick's parking spot. I figure, no big deal she probably blew her tranny. But then I
notice 3 dark objects laying on the floor not far from the puddle. I walk over to them and it's the
head (black) of a frig'n goat...eyeballs, fur and horns still on it. Also, two very large headless
birds (black and gray feathers) with big ass yellow feet.

Now that's voodoo freaky! BTW...the chick is a prostitute......I gotta move outta this place!

--
Slacker

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > OK, I know how those "magic pick-a-card" sites work, but this is pretty clever:
> >
> > http://mr-31238.mr.valuehost.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf
> >
> > Bill "rode horribly tonight so taking it out on you" S.
>

> That aint freaky, it don't even work.
>
> Now here's freaky: walk downstairs (last Sunday) to my carport and notice
a huge, really dark red puddle in this chick's parking
> spot. I figure, no big deal she probably blew her tranny. But then I
notice 3 dark objects laying on the floor not far from the
> puddle. I walk over to them and it's the head (black) of a frig'n
goat...eyeballs, fur and horns still on it. Also, two very large
> headless birds (black and gray feathers) with big ass yellow feet.
>
> Now that's voodoo freaky! BTW...the chick is a prostitute......I gotta
move outta this place!

> --
> Slacker

Gaaaaah! Yeah I'd be movin'.

Mike

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > OK, I know how those "magic pick-a-card" sites work, but this is pretty clever:
> >
> > http://mr-31238.mr.valuehost.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf
> >
> > Bill "rode horribly tonight so taking it out on you" S.
>

> That aint freaky, it don't even work.

Sure it does. Too bad the spoilsports runied it :)

> Now here's freaky: walk downstairs (last Sunday) to my carport and notice
a huge, really dark red puddle in this chick's parking
> spot. I figure, no big deal she probably blew her tranny. But then I
notice 3 dark objects laying on the floor not far from the
> puddle. I walk over to them and it's the head (black) of a frig'n
goat...eyeballs, fur and horns still on it. Also, two very large
> headless birds (black and gray feathers) with big ass yellow feet.
>
> Now that's voodoo freaky! BTW...the chick is a prostitute......I gotta
move outta this place!

U.B. Hosed.

Bill "ride don't walk" S.

Slacker wrote:
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>OK, I know how those "magic pick-a-card" sites work, but this is pretty clever:
>>
>>http://mr-31238.mr.valuehost.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf
>>
>>Bill "rode horribly tonight so taking it out on you" S.
>

> That aint freaky, it don't even work.
>
> Now here's freaky: walk downstairs (last Sunday) to my carport and notice a huge, really dark red
> puddle in this chick's parking spot. I figure, no big deal she probably blew her tranny. But then
> I notice 3 dark objects laying on the floor not far from the puddle. I walk over to them and it's
> the head (black) of a frig'n goat...eyeballs, fur and horns still on it. Also, two very large
> headless birds (black and gray feathers) with big ass yellow feet.
>
> Now that's voodoo freaky! BTW...the chick is a prostitute......I gotta move outta this place!

I dunno. It could be some sort of voodoo type thing, or you may have simply stumbled across the Fear
Factor breakfast buffet.

Kathleen

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > OK, I know how those "magic pick-a-card" sites work, but this is pretty clever:
> >
> > http://mr-31238.mr.valuehost.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf
> >
> > Bill "rode horribly tonight so taking it out on you" S.
>

> That aint freaky, it don't even work.
>
> Now here's freaky: walk downstairs (last Sunday) to my carport and notice
a huge, really dark red puddle in this chick's parking
> spot. I figure, no big deal she probably blew her tranny. But then I
notice 3 dark objects laying on the floor not far from the
> puddle. I walk over to them and it's the head (black) of a frig'n
goat...eyeballs, fur and horns still on it. Also, two very large
> headless birds (black and gray feathers) with big ass yellow feet.
>
> Now that's voodoo freaky! BTW...the chick is a prostitute......I gotta
move outta this place!

You are sooooo screwed, dewed!

Shaun aRe - That's baaaad juju!

Right do you know your 9 times table?? Notice how the symbols change for the numbers every time you
click the try again button. Now notice how the symbol is always the same for the numbers 81, 72, 63,
54, 45, 36, 27, 18, and 9. No matter what 2 digit number you pick you will always get one of those
numbers. So you see a different symbol every time but the symbol changes every time you try again.
So sorry he isn't a god and it isn't magic, but at the same time it is a clever trick. I'm a
disbeliever I have to figure things out :eek:)

"canadakrystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Right do you know your 9 times table?? Notice how the symbols change for the numbers every time
> you click the try again button. Now notice how the symbol is always the same for the numbers 81,
> 72, 63, 54, 45, 36, 27, 18, and 9. No matter what 2 digit number you pick you will always get one
> of those numbers. So you see a different symbol every time but the symbol changes every time you
> try again. So sorry he isn't a god and it isn't magic, but at the same time it is a clever trick.
> I'm a disbeliever I have to figure things out :eek:)

Sorta like giving anti-venum serum to a corpse after a snake-bite...

Bill "take a pregnancy test -- yer late!" S.

"canadakrystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Right do you know your 9 times table?? Notice how the symbols change for the numbers every time
> you click the try again button. Now notice how the symbol is always the same for the numbers 81,
> 72, 63, 54, 45, 36, 27, 18, and 9. No matter what 2 digit number you pick you will always get one
> of those numbers. So you see a different symbol every time but the symbol changes every time you
> try again.

Or more mathematically:

A two digit number XY can be expressed as 10X+Y.

The equation they ask you to solve is 10X+Y-(X+Y) which reduces to simply
9X.

So any valid answer is always a multiple of 9.

> So sorry he isn't a god and it isn't magic, but at the same time it is a clever trick. I'm a
> disbeliever I have to figure things out :eek:)

Actually it is magic in that it relies on diversion or misdirection to distract you from the
"sleight-of-hand" that's going on.