OT - Kroger Store bites... RANT!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rick & Cyndi, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer around
    us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.

    Anyway... they've remodeled so this week is their Grand (re)opening... blah, blah, blah. As
    expected, the shelves don't really hold anything different from what they used to... so I just ran
    through and stocked up on some of the meat sales and a few odds and ends. Here's where the
    frustration really got me muttering and I *will* be writing a complaint because this sh&% keeps
    happening... arrgghhh!!! I bought those 100 % juice juice box drinks for Nathan... I bought some
    supposedly vine-ripe tomatoes, yogurt (what's with those stupid foil tops that break when you don't
    want them to and yet you can't open them when you're starving?!), milk, a few canned goods (okay,
    here's the one positive thing I noticed - they're *finally* carrying a few of the Ro-Tel tomatoes),
    and a bunch of other stuff to fill the basket... Fast forward to emptying the bags at home when... S
    C R E A M!! On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one of the bags of the
    juice boxes are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is sandwiched with frozen food!
    There was also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread... AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I hate that
    store, I hate that store, I HATE THAT STORE!!!!! They still can't bother to order any white wine
    vinegar either!!! Stupid muckity muck.... !!!! Ow - a vein just blew!! Not really, but stupid crap
    like this really busts my chops.

    OB: I sliced up one of the now bruised tomatoes and sprinkled on some delicious Brady Street
    Seasoning from Penzeys. Very, very tasty.
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

    Tags:

  2. Dan Levy

    Dan Levy Guest

    Moral: always check the organization of your bags before leaving the store, where you can grab more
    bags if needed to isolate fragile and cold stuff. The fragile items may have actually been put on
    top of the heavy items by the bagger, but stuff can shift around in transit.

  3. "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer
    > around us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.

    Kroger is also the biggest and closest store in my neighborhood. I am very lucky because both of
    ours are fairly good. One of them employs sackers who have been there for years and are very good.
    Stuff gets sacked correctly and they take it to the car. I have noticed that both stores are very
    reflective of the managers. If you have a good manager you probably have a good a store. They do
    transfer pretty often. They of course are not perfect but they are pretty clean and over all I am
    satisfied. Maybe your store will get better. Phyl

  4. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]_s51>, [email protected] says...
    >On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one of the bags of the juice boxes
    >are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is sandwiched with frozen food! There was
    >also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread... AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

    Don't know what kind of manager that store has, but I do know that if I went to the manager of my
    supermarket and complained about groceries being crushed because of being poorly packed, he'd be
    offering to replace them for me. Not only that, but he'd want to know that he had an employee who
    was so poorly packing groceries as to cause damage to not only the groceries, but to the store's
    good will.

    I think it's fine to vent here, but unless you let him know about the problems, they're likely to
    occur again.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

    To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

  5. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Dan Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Moral: always check the organization of your bags before
    leaving the store,
    : where you can grab more bags if needed to isolate fragile and
    cold stuff.
    : The fragile items may have actually been put on top of the
    heavy items by
    : the bagger, but stuff can shift around in transit.
    :
    : =======

    Couldn't - too busy unloading cart to watch the silly waif...! Doesn't matter - she bagged the items
    WRONG!! You don't put in 4 little tomatoes with a huge box of juices. WRONG. You don't put bruisable
    (sp?) bananas with canned goods... that would be... you guessed it... WRONG! You don't put heavy
    items with a single loaf of bread either.

    These people are either not trained properly or don't care. On top of that - unless you like to hear
    back biting and quibbling - you *definitely* don't go in during evening hours either!

    That store is sooooo wrong in soooo many ways... but if you're in a time crunch and don't want to
    drive a couple hours *one way* to go to a decent store...

    AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHPAERIO68508IQWP3UBGVUPADY6RTIPUGBHWERO7GYW[9EO4I
    THWIS7DZFBYG[OW'I45EHBYP8WSRUGHIOW4B5IP1!!!!!!!!!!!

    Again, did I mention just how much I hate that store?
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  6. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Donna Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    Don't know what kind of manager that store has, but I do know that if I
    > went to the manager of my supermarket and complained about groceries being crushed because of
    > being poorly packed, he'd be offering to replace them for me. Not only that, but he'd want to know
    > that he had an employee who was so poorly packing groceries as to cause damage to not only the
    > groceries, but to the store's good will.
    >
    > I think it's fine to vent here, but unless you let him know about the problems, they're likely to
    > occur again.
    > --
    Quite right. Also the OP should think about whether it's worth getting this upset over a little bump
    in the road of life. If she does then maybe medication would help.

  7. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    :
    : "Donna Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :
    : Don't know what kind of manager that store has, but I do know
    that if I
    : > went to the manager of my supermarket and complained about
    groceries
    : > being crushed because of being poorly packed, he'd be
    offering to replace
    : > them for me. Not only that, but he'd want to know that he
    had an
    : > employee who was so poorly packing groceries as to cause
    damage to not
    : > only the groceries, but to the store's good will.
    : >
    : > I think it's fine to vent here, but unless you let him know
    about the
    : > problems, they're likely to occur again.
    : > --
    : Quite right. Also the OP should think about whether it's worth
    getting this
    : upset over a little bump in the road of life. If she does then
    maybe
    : medication would help.
    :
    : =============

    Humph! Yes I do and no it hasn't!

    This pisses me off. There is NO excuse for most of their baggers to REPEATEDLY bag groceries
    improperly. I'd bag my own but the do it yourself lanes are for 15 items or less and I do not intend
    on going up and down the aisles, check out, load my car, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

    It's stupid. If I didn't already own this house I truly would up and move just to be near a decent
    grocery store. Unfortunately, before moving to this town we had no idea that the grocery store was
    this poorly managed and staffed even worse!

    On the other hand - my original post was marked "OT" and "Rant" therefore... well...uhhh... back
    off, please. I wasn't looking for negative comments especially since I already dealt with enough
    crap today.

  8. "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer
    > around us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.
    >
    > Anyway... they've remodeled so this week is their Grand (re)opening... blah, blah, blah. As
    > expected, the shelves don't really hold anything different from what they used to... so I just ran
    > through and stocked up on some of the meat sales and a few odds and ends. Here's where the
    > frustration really got me muttering and I *will* be writing a complaint because this sh&% keeps
    > happening... arrgghhh!!! I bought those 100 % juice juice box drinks for Nathan... I bought some
    > supposedly vine-ripe tomatoes, yogurt (what's with those stupid foil tops that break when you
    > don't want them to and yet you can't open them when you're starving?!), milk, a few canned goods
    > (okay, here's the one positive thing I noticed - they're *finally* carrying a few of the Ro-Tel
    > tomatoes), and a bunch of other stuff to fill the basket... Fast forward to emptying the bags at
    > home when... S C R E A M!! On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one of
    > the bags of the juice boxes are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is sandwiched
    > with frozen food! There was also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread...
    > AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I hate that store, I hate that store, I HATE THAT STORE!!!!! They still can't
    > bother to order any white wine vinegar either!!! Stupid muckity muck.... !!!! Ow - a vein just
    > blew!! Not really, but stupid crap like this really busts my chops.
    >
    > OB: I sliced up one of the now bruised tomatoes and sprinkled on some delicious Brady Street
    > Seasoning from Penzeys. Very, very tasty.
    > --
    > Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    Hi Cyndi...

    I feel your pain. Unless the bagger du jour at the grocery store I shop at is one that I know does a
    good job...seems to be the ladies 30+ and the part time retirees, I pack my own groceries. Doesn't
    make me popular with the baggers, some cashiers get annoyed, but I don't end up with bananas ready
    for banana bread and tomatoes ready for the sauce pot or worse my bok choy in the same bag as a
    leaking bottle of shampoo, chicken with lettuce is another teenage bagger specialty. I'd talk to
    customer service or the store manager, I've always found that they would replace the damaged
    groceries.

    Jessica

  9. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]_s51>, [email protected] says...
    > Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer
    > around us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.

    I snipped the bagging behavior - because it's like that no matter where you go. It's what you get
    when you have minimum wage help bagging.

    Occasionally you'll run across one with a brain - but I've found a safer policy since I almost
    always use the express lane. I simply feed the items to the cashier as I want them bagged. Works out
    perfectly.

  10. Saerah

    Saerah Guest

    Jessica Vincent wrote in message ...

    >"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]_s51...
    >> Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer
    >> around us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.
    >>
    >> Anyway... they've remodeled so this week is their Grand (re)opening... blah, blah, blah. As
    >> expected, the shelves don't really hold anything different from what they used to... so I just
    >> ran through and stocked up on some of the meat sales and a few odds and ends. Here's where the
    >> frustration really got me muttering and I *will* be writing a complaint because this sh&% keeps
    >> happening... arrgghhh!!! I bought those 100 % juice juice box drinks for Nathan... I bought some
    >> supposedly vine-ripe tomatoes, yogurt (what's with those stupid foil tops that break when you
    >> don't want them to and yet you can't open them when you're starving?!), milk, a few canned goods
    >> (okay, here's the one positive thing I noticed - they're *finally* carrying a few of the Ro-Tel
    >> tomatoes), and a bunch of other stuff to fill the basket... Fast forward to emptying the bags at
    >> home when... S C R E A M!! On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one
    >> of the bags of the juice boxes are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is
    >> sandwiched with frozen food! There was also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread...
    >> AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I hate that store, I hate that store, I HATE THAT STORE!!!!! They still can't
    >> bother to order any white wine vinegar either!!! Stupid muckity muck.... !!!! Ow - a vein just
    >> blew!! Not really, but stupid crap like this really busts my chops.
    >>
    >> OB: I sliced up one of the now bruised tomatoes and sprinkled on some delicious Brady Street
    >> Seasoning from Penzeys. Very, very tasty.
    >> --
    >> Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>
    >>

    >Hi Cyndi...
    >
    >I feel your pain. Unless the bagger du jour at the grocery store I shop at is one that I know does
    >a good job...seems to be the ladies 30+ and the
    part
    >time retirees, I pack my own groceries. Doesn't make me popular with the baggers, some cashiers get
    >annoyed, but I don't end up with bananas ready for banana bread and tomatoes ready for the sauce
    >pot or worse my bok choy in the same bag as a leaking bottle of shampoo, chicken with lettuce is
    >another teenage bagger specialty. I'd talk to customer service or the
    store
    >manager, I've always found that they would replace the damaged groceries.

    I work as a cashier in a grocery store. right now we have no bagger, and we bag the groceries
    ourselves. the only time it is annoying is when said customer takes an extremely long time to bag
    their groceries, and the lines get backed up because of it. or when a customer insists that they
    only want one bag, and that it be 'not heavy' :) i rang up a woman a few weeks ago who started
    yelling at me after she put one of the bags i packed for her (she asked that i pack the bags light)
    in her cart. she said it was too heavy, and that i should have listened to her. there was one item
    in the bag, a rather large rib roast. what was i supposed to do, cut it up into smaller pieces for
    her? IMO, all meats, fish, poultry, and frozen items need to be packed in plastic (or at least
    wrapped in it) to avoid leakage causing contamination/paper bag breakage. i generally pack produce
    items together, with squashable items on top of things that can cushion them (lettuce, greens,
    etc.), which go on top of more hardy produce items, like potatoes and onions. glass bottles get put
    in paper sleeves to prevent breakage. cans go on the bottom, lighter boxes on top. it bugs me how i
    have to *explain* this to new cashiers, who will put a dripping whole chicken in with a head of
    lettuce. we also give 10 cents for each bag you bring back and *use*. i keep getting morons bringing
    back 15 bags, using two, and then complaining that they didnt get their "full" credit for bags. or
    this one very special woman who had a large capacity canvas bag for her groceries (her groceries
    would have fit inside 2 paper bags, most likely). she insisted that since her bag was so large, she
    should get an extra 10 cents off her bill. of course, shes spent over 200$ on mostly vitamins and
    things, and that 10 cents is *so* important. bleh. <end rant>

    --
    Saerah

    TANSTAAFL

    Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

  11. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    > In article <[email protected]_s51>, [email protected] says...
    > >On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one of the bags of the juice
    > >boxes are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is sandwiched with frozen food!
    > >There was also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread... AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!
    > >
    > Don't know what kind of manager that store has, but I do know that if I went to the manager of my
    > supermarket and complained about groceries being crushed because of being poorly packed, he'd be
    > offering to replace them for me. Not only that, but he'd want to know that he had an employee who
    > was so poorly packing groceries as to cause damage to not only the groceries, but to the store's
    > good will.
    >
    > I think it's fine to vent here, but unless you let him know about the problems, they're likely to
    > occur again.

    So true. A good manager wants to be sure his baggers know what they're doing because it costs the
    store both in damaged goods and in customer goodwill.

  12. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Rick & Cyndi wrote:

    > Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure...

    I feel your pain. Just today, I bought carrots, turnips, canteloupe, and tomatoes . . . and
    guess what? They put the carrots with the tomatoes and the turnips with the canteloupe! CAN YOU
    BELIEVE IT!!!

    What kind of low-wage help are they hiring, that can't even put the C-foods in one bag and the T-
    foods in another?

    Just last week, AT THE SAME STORE, they put apples together in the same bag with zucchini!!!

    They must be trying to KILL me! They must know that I know about the secret tunnels under the store
    where they keep the GOOD carrots that they don't put out until after I leave! But I'm on to that
    trick! I come back about an hour later, and THEN I get the GOOD carrots. Ha! :)

  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer
    > around us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.
    >
    > Anyway... they've remodeled so this week is their Grand (re)opening... blah, blah, blah. As
    > expected, the shelves don't really hold anything different from what they used to... so I just ran
    > through and stocked up on some of the meat sales and a few odds and ends. Here's where the
    > frustration really got me muttering and I *will* be writing a complaint because this sh&% keeps
    > happening... arrgghhh!!! I bought those 100 % juice juice box drinks for Nathan... I bought some
    > supposedly vine-ripe tomatoes, yogurt (what's with those stupid foil tops that break when you
    > don't want them to and yet you can't open them when you're starving?!), milk, a few canned goods
    > (okay, here's the one positive thing I noticed - they're *finally* carrying a few of the Ro-Tel
    > tomatoes), and a bunch of other stuff to fill the basket... Fast forward to emptying the bags at
    > home when... S C R E A M!! On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one of
    > the bags of the juice boxes are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is sandwiched
    > with frozen food! There was also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread...
    > AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I hate that store, I hate that store, I HATE THAT STORE!!!!! They still can't
    > bother to order any white wine vinegar either!!! Stupid muckity muck.... !!!! Ow - a vein just
    > blew!! Not really, but stupid crap like this really busts my chops.
    >
    > OB: I sliced up one of the now bruised tomatoes and sprinkled on some delicious Brady Street
    > Seasoning from Penzeys. Very, very tasty.
    > --
    > Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    You sound like a fat spoiled twat. Why don't you watch your precious groceries when they are being
    bagged? Take your Penzeys and shove it up

  14. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Jessica Vincent" < & Cyndi" chatted about abuse from grocery stores... LOL

    : >
    : Hi Cyndi...
    :
[...]
    :==========

    Thanks Jessica.

    Yeah. <sigh>

    I have calmed down but I will definitely be writing a letter of complaint. I have tried to be nice
    and patient and have even told myself that the bagger du jour (I like that!) was new and just felt
    rushed... but it's frustrating. What makes it even worse is that I can't get some of the items I
    want. When I've requested them I'm also told that if I would bring them a UPC that they'd be happy
    to try to get that item for me. Uh, excuse me, if I had the UPC then I'd probably still have the
    item... I digress... sorry.

    I've requested: white wine vinegar (any brand they can get), pearl sugar (the large white granular
    type that occasionally tops muffins), frozen winter squash (it's pureed... Bird's Eye, Green
    Giant... anybody, really!)...

    <sigh>

    Anyway, thanks for understanding.
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  15. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Tony P." <[email protected]> wrote in
[...]

    But that's what I did!! That's what makes it so bad... well, sort of... I grouped everything as I
    wanted them bagged... but the waif at the end let things pile up and then bagged them willy-nilly.
    As busy as it was and as many groceries as I had ( $300.13 with a savings of $ 98.xx saving .24 % of
    total..blah, blah, blah) I couldn't simply put 8 items on the belt... wait... 4 items on the belt...
    Honey, if I knew what was going to happen - I might have tried to do that slowly but it wouldn't
    have been a nice thing to do to the cashier. She (cashier) was very lovely. She even bagged a few of
    the items - properly, I might add...

    Again, since this store is so frustrating I try to only shop there once a month just so I don't have
    to go through this every week or couple of days. Frustration aside when you can save a couple of $$
    per pound of beef and get gallons of milk for only $0.99 you have to bite the bullet, rant on a
    newsgroup (thank you, by the way!), and write complaint letters to every single executive involved
    with this stinking grokklkfgkarhgaoerig !!!! Dookies!

    Sorry... That Jekel/Hide thing started happening again.

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  16. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Rick & Cyndi wrote:
    :
[...]
    : =====

    Thanks Mark. I needed that.

  17. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Saerah" ,Jessica & Cyndi" talked a bit...

    : >Hi Cyndi...
    : >
[...]
    : --
    : Saerah
    :
    ========

    So Saerah... any chance you want to move to Armpit, Illinois? We could REALLY use your talents.
    Seriously!

    Yeah, some people do, some people don't and some people won't. Whatcha gonna do? <snort> I try not
    to get people in trouble and with most things I really do try to give the benefit of doubt and I
    realize sometimes things "just happen"... unfortunately, this happen virtually every time at this
    store but either everyone else keeps giving them the benefit of doubt like I have or... since
    they've pretty much got the monopoly of the business... <shrug>.

    I dunno. I'm just tired. {Now I've got Bill Cosby's voice in my head... "sick..." "Tired. Mommy, you
    forgot to say tired..."}
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  18. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s53...
    > "Dan Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > : Moral: always check the organization of your bags before
    > leaving the store,
    > : where you can grab more bags if needed to isolate fragile and
    > cold stuff.
    > : The fragile items may have actually been put on top of the
    > heavy items by
    > : the bagger, but stuff can shift around in transit.
    > :
    > : =======
    >
    > Couldn't - too busy unloading cart to watch the silly waif...! Doesn't matter - she bagged the
    > items WRONG!! You don't put in 4 little tomatoes with a huge box of juices. WRONG. You don't put
    > bruisable (sp?) bananas with canned goods... that would be... you guessed it... WRONG! You don't
    > put heavy items with a single loaf of bread either.
    >
    > These people are either not trained properly or don't care. On top of that - unless you like to
    > hear back biting and quibbling - you *definitely* don't go in during evening hours either!
    >
    > That store is sooooo wrong in soooo many ways... but if you're in a time crunch and don't want to
    > drive a couple hours *one way* to go to a decent store...
    >
    > AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHPAERIO68508IQWP3UBGVUPADY6RTIPUGBHWERO7GYW[9EO4I
    > THWIS7DZFBYG[OW'I45EHBYP8WSRUGHIOW4B5IP1!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Again, did I mention just how much I hate that store?
    > --
    > Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    Perhaps you could grow your own food. Or is that too much for your fat ass to handle? LOL

  19. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Donna Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > Don't know what kind of manager that store has, but I do know that if I
    > > went to the manager of my supermarket and complained about groceries being crushed because of
    > > being poorly packed, he'd be offering to
    replace
    > > them for me. Not only that, but he'd want to know that he had an employee who was so poorly
    > > packing groceries as to cause damage to not only the groceries, but to the store's good will.
    > >
    > > I think it's fine to vent here, but unless you let him know about the problems, they're likely
    > > to occur again.
    > > --
    > Quite right. Also the OP should think about whether it's worth getting
    this
    > upset over a little bump in the road of life. If she does then maybe medication would help.

    Heh, good call.

  20. Marecat

    Marecat Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:44:59 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Dan Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >: Moral: always check the organization of your bags before
    >leaving the store,
    >: where you can grab more bags if needed to isolate fragile and
    >cold stuff.
    >: The fragile items may have actually been put on top of the
    >heavy items by
    >: the bagger, but stuff can shift around in transit.
    >:
    >: =======
    >
    >Couldn't - too busy unloading cart to watch the silly waif...!

    In the Kroger stores in the Houston suburb where I live, the checkout clerks load the groceries onto
    the conveyor belt. We also have pretty decent baggers. And our food selection is very good also.

    I'd probably start bagging stuff myself if I were you.