OT - Kroger Store bites... RANT!

"Saerah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
:
: Rick & Cyndi wrote in message
<8mgZb.348721$I06.3709047@attbi_s01>...
:
: <snip>
:
:
: >So Saerah... any chance you want to move to Armpit, Illinois?
We
: >could REALLY use your talents. Seriously!
:
: if kroger's the only game in town, i don't think so. i rely on
the
: availability of lots of organic and natural food products and a
variety of
: ethnic groceries.( the one thing that makes livign in metro
detroit
: tolerable.)
:
: --
: Saerah
=========

Yes and no. There is one other grocer in town... very friendly but small and pretty much only stocks
the more basic and/or essential ingredients; hence, why I went to Krogers - more items and the big
Grand (re) opening sale.

Yep... the Detroit area has some AWESOME shopping available. Hillers is nice and compared to what
stores are within an hour of here... Meijer's rocks! I've actually written to Meijer's and begged
(!) them to come to our area... there had been a rumor a year ago that Meijer's was considering our
area but instead we're getting a Super Wal-Mart. <shrug>

Oh... I recently got to go to Zingerman's. Whoa. Totally cool! We bought some wonderful bread, Parmesana-
Reggiano (SP?) cheese, Cider Syrup, a Zingerman's cookbook (very, very neat!), olive oil, and a
handful of other stuff too. I really like that place. Crowded but filled with wonderful goodies.

Our brother lives in Bellville, MI and we try to make it up there at least once a year.

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%%uZb.88447
$jk2.435243@attbi_s53:

> "StocksRus®" & Cyndi"
>
> <snip> \: I live in Krogers hometown and have done lot's of business with them over
>: the years. Meaning they were a BIG customer of mine. Two words come to mind... THEY SUCK! I avoid
>: them as much as possible. I'm fortunate enough to have
> a very
>: cool place within 20 miles called Jungle Jims that has
> everything and
>: more that I need. 5 acres of fresh produce, $1,000,000,000
> inventory of
>: wine, and all ethnic cuisines.
>: :
>: --
>: StocksRus®
>:
>: ===========
>
> Lucky dog! I adore Jungle Jims!! Have they installed the monorail system yet?

No....but it grows every week. It now has a garden center, just added a British food section. Four
isles of hot sauces. Curious...how do you know of Jungles?

--
StocksRus®

Why don't just you place the items on the conveyor belt as you want them to be bagged? Group items
by type and put the cans, bottles and heavy things on the belt first (those bags will be placed on
the bottom of the cart), then the dairy, then the meats, then the heavy veggies, then the delicate
veggies/fruits, last the bakery items. It ain't rocket science, you know. It doesn't take any
longer either.

"AT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why don't just you place the items on the conveyor belt as you want them
to be
> bagged? Group items by type and put the cans, bottles and heavy things on
the belt
> first (those bags will be placed on the bottom of the cart), then the
dairy, then
> the meats, then the heavy veggies, then the delicate veggies/fruits, last
the
> bakery items. It ain't rocket science, you know. It doesn't take any
longer
> either.

I've gotten into the habit of doing just that, keeping the frozen stuff together, veggies together,
etc. But lately, at the Publix that I shop at, the bagger has been rushing to my cart and unloading
it before I'm even at the conveyor belt. "Hey, Let me do that for you", he says. It's all I can do
to get out of his way! They can't get it right at Publix either.... A grocery store conspiracy????

NancyJaye

Donna Rose wrote in message ...
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>it bugs me how i have to *explain* this to new cashiers, who will put a dripping whole chicken in
>>with a head of lettuce.
>>
>This is amazing to me. Are you saying that there is absolutely no training on 'packing techniques'
>given to new supermarket employees?
>--

yes, there is training. and the "rulebook" for my department says pretty much what i said. i guess
no one reads it.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "AT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Why don't just you place the items on the conveyor belt as you want them
> to be
> > bagged? Group items by type and put the cans, bottles and heavy things
on
> the belt
> > first (those bags will be placed on the bottom of the cart), then the
> dairy, then
> > the meats, then the heavy veggies, then the delicate veggies/fruits,
last
> the
> > bakery items. It ain't rocket science, you know. It doesn't take any
> longer
> > either.
>

> I've gotten into the habit of doing just that, keeping the frozen stuff together, veggies
> together, etc. But lately, at the Publix that I shop
at,
> the bagger has been rushing to my cart and unloading it before I'm even at the conveyor belt.
> "Hey, Let me do that for you", he says. It's all I
can
> do to get out of his way! They can't get it right at Publix either....
> grocery store conspiracy????
>
> NancyJaye

This is one topic I can't relate to because (at least for the past 10 years) I can't remember a time
when I didn't bag my own groceries. I didn't realize stores still did that! <g> kili

Rick & Cyndi wrote in message ...
>Oh... I recently got to go to Zingerman's. Whoa. Totally cool! We bought some wonderful bread, Parmesana-
>Reggiano (SP?) cheese, Cider Syrup, a Zingerman's cookbook (very, very neat!), olive oil, and a
>handful of other stuff too. I really like that place. Crowded but filled with wonderful goodies.
>
>Our brother lives in Bellville, MI and we try to make it up there at least once a year.

zingerman's *does* kick butt. we sell some of their breads where i work, and they are
definitely delish :)

--

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> Dog3 wrote:
> > I'll never forget the time a bakery cake was put in the bag upside down. I marched in to speak
> > to the manager (I noticed the cake when putting the groceries in the car). He was really snotty
> > about it but did reimburse
me
> > for the cake.
>
> Wow, had you done something to ******** all the store employees, that is just ridiculous. Too
> funny. They'd better reimburse you, duh. What is it with customer service being snotty? I guess
> having to deal with complainers all day gets old, but geez.

You don't have to do anything to annoy them in order for them to screw up packing your order. I'll
never forget the day I found a fresh fruit pie packed on its side in a grocery bag. I went back
into the store and stalked the jerk who did it, and he airily explained that it fit in the bag
better that way.

Short of sawing his head off, I couldn't come up with any way to boost the young man's IQ.

> I did once complain to the headquarters about a customer service guy. Actually I complained about
> a couple of things, I really was annoyed. So, I got a nice long note from the store manager, she
> said she had called a staff meeting and given them the word on how you treat the customers and how
> to ring up meat so it doesn't multiply the price by 10. Yikes, I blushed. Then she said, I would
> like to meet you, and I have left a $25 certificate for you at the customer service desk. Yeah,
> I'm picking that up!!! Hi, I'm the one who complained about you, can I have my certificate? Sure,
> right after I tattoo ***** on your forehead, lady. (laugh)

I've complained to HQ in the past, too. I stopped when I decided I'd gotten enough "So what?"

: > "StocksRus®" & Cyndi"
: >
: > <snip> \: I live in Krogers hometown and have done lot's of business with them over
: >: the years. Meaning they were a BIG customer of mine. Two words come to mind... THEY SUCK! I
: >: avoid them as much as possible. I'm fortunate enough to
have
: > a very
: >: cool place within 20 miles called Jungle Jims that has
: > everything and
: >: more that I need. 5 acres of fresh produce, $1,000,000,000
: > inventory of
: >: wine, and all ethnic cuisines.
: >: :
: >: --
: >: StocksRus®
: >:
: >: ===========
: >
: > Lucky dog! I adore Jungle Jims!! Have they installed the monorail system yet?
:
: No....but it grows every week. It now has a garden center, just
added a
: British food section. Four isles of hot sauces. Curious...how do you know of Jungles?
:
: --
: StocksRus®
: ===

Our aunt, uncle and half-dozen or so of cousins live in Cincy.

The last trip out there we stocked up on some coconut milk ($0.29 each!!), 26 oz Nutella for about $
5.00, Roasted Chipotle and Raspberry Sauce (rocks!), truffle oil, and etc.! Lovely, lovely place!

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

"AT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Why don't just you place the items on the conveyor belt as you
want them to be
: bagged? Group items by type and put the cans, bottles and heavy
things on the belt
: first (those bags will be placed on the bottom of the cart),
then the dairy, then
: the meats, then the heavy veggies, then the delicate
veggies/fruits, last the
: bakery items. It ain't rocket science, you know. It doesn't
take any longer
: either.
=====

You must have missed my follow up post because I did load the belt that way. Silly waif girl waited
until the bin area was full and then she just grabbed stuff and filled the bags *****-nilly. I
always load the belt they way I want them bagged. Meats together, frozen vegetables then the frozen
fruit. I'm quite anal about it.

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

Pennyaline wrote:

> I've complained to HQ in the past, too. I stopped when I decided I'd gotten enough "So what?"

A few years ago I complained directly to the Health Department after watching a fish dept. clerk
making a phone call with his disposable gloves on. He ran his gloved hands through his hair numerous
times, finished his call, then waited on me, using the same gloves to pick up scallops from the
tray. He was surprised when I said I no longer wanted the scallops and told him why. I stopped and
told the manager on the way out, then (because I realized neither one of them had a clue about the
health implications) I called the local Health Department, grocery store division, and asked them to
check on the store's training practices. I did get a follow-up call from the inspector. And it WAS a
local Denver-area Kroger store, King Soopers.

gloria p

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
>
> > Aarrgghh!!! As usual - shopping was not a pleasure... unfortunately, it's the largest grocer
> > around us so unless I want to drive a few hours... I don't have any other real choices.
> >
> > Anyway... they've remodeled so this week is their Grand (re)opening... blah, blah, blah. As
> > expected, the shelves don't really hold anything different from what they used to... so I just
> > ran through and stocked up on some of the meat sales and a few odds and ends. Here's where the
> > frustration really got me muttering and I *will* be writing a complaint because this sh&% keeps
> > happening... arrgghhh!!! I bought those 100 % juice juice box drinks for Nathan... I bought some
> > supposedly vine-ripe tomatoes, yogurt (what's with those stupid foil tops that break when you
> > don't want them to and yet you can't open them when you're starving?!), milk, a few canned goods
> > (okay, here's the one positive thing I noticed - they're *finally* carrying a few of the Ro-Tel
> > tomatoes), and a bunch of other stuff to fill the basket... Fast forward to emptying the bags at
> > home when... S C R E A M!! On the bottom of a bag full of canned goods are my bananas... in one
> > of the bags of the juice boxes are my vine-ripened tomatoes and my big bag of lettuce is
> > sandwiched with frozen food! There was also something heavy in the bag with the loaf of bread...
> > AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I hate that store, I hate that store, I HATE THAT STORE!!!!! They still can't
> > bother to order any white wine vinegar either!!! Stupid muckity muck.... !!!! Ow - a vein just
> > blew!! Not really, but stupid **** like this really busts my chops.
> >
> > OB: I sliced up one of the now bruised tomatoes and sprinkled on some delicious Brady Street
> > Seasoning from Penzeys. Very, very tasty.
>
> Sounds like a chain we used to have here. The shopping experience at National was hit or miss,
> depending on which store you shopped at. I'll never forget the time a bakery cake was put in the
> bag upside down. I marched in to speak to the manager (I noticed the cake when putting the
> groceries in the car). He was really snotty about it but did reimburse me for the cake.
>
> The best thing you can do besides complain is to open that bottle of Vodka and pour up a nice
> martini to settle the nerves. Provided the checkout people managed to put it in the bag :)
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of scented
> urine." ~~James Joyce, Irish writer (1882-1941)

Before I moved there was one store where the baggers were sometimes amazingly incompetent. The worst
was the container of cottage cheese laid on its side with a bag of potatoes on top of it.

[email protected] wrote:
> "AT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> : Why don't just you place the items on the conveyor belt as you
> want them to be
> : bagged? Group items by type and put the cans, bottles and heavy
> things on the belt
> : first (those bags will be placed on the bottom of the cart),
> then the dairy, then
> : the meats, then the heavy veggies, then the delicate
> veggies/fruits, last the
> : bakery items. It ain't rocket science, you know. It doesn't
> take any longer
> : either.
> =====
>
> You must have missed my follow up post because I did load the belt that way. Silly waif girl
> waited until the bin area was full and then she just grabbed stuff and filled the bags *****-
> nilly. I always load the belt they way I want them bagged. Meats together, frozen vegetables then
> the frozen fruit. I'm quite anal about it.

Well then, as you start loading the belt, tell both, the cashier and bagger, that *you want them to
ring up and bag the items in the -exact- order you are placing them on the belt* and say it loud
enough so that the other people around you can hear. Don't worry about sounding like a *****; it's
your money and your time, don't let anybody waste them.

"AT" & Cyndi had a strange conversation...

<snip>
: > You must have missed my follow up post because I did load the belt that way. Silly waif girl
: > waited until the bin area was full and then she just grabbed stuff and filled the bags *****-
: > nilly. I always load the belt they way I want them
bagged.
: > Meats together, frozen vegetables then the frozen fruit. I'm quite anal about it.
:
: Well then, as you start loading the belt, tell both, the
cashier and bagger, that
: *you want them to ring up and bag the items in the -exact-
order you are placing
: them on the belt* and say it loud enough so that the other
people around you can
: hear. Don't worry about sounding like a *****; it's your money
and your time,
: don't let anybody waste them.
===========

Ummmm... noooooo... I don't think that would work. I don't know of any way to do as you propose
without it coming out bit%&y or aggressive... they actually *do* have a couple of baggers that know
what they're doing - I just can't seem to be in the right line to get them! <g>

While I'm past the hissy part of my fit - it will not go unforgotten. Letters to the local store and
corporate office are in the works.
--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

>...I'll never forget the time a bakery cake was put in the bag upside down. I marched in to speak
>to the manager (I noticed the cake when putting the groceries in the car). He was really snotty
>about it but did reimburse me for the cake.

I used to work at Kroger's first as a bagger, then a checker, and then as a baker in the pastry
shop. I can't tell you how many times a bagger would bring back a cake that somehow got messed up
before the customer got it out of the store. The worst part was that we would have to stop what we
were doing and decorate a new cake for the the customer for free. So not only did we lose the sale
of the first cake, we lost the sale of the second cake too.

[email protected] (DJS0302) deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

>>...I'll never forget the time a bakery cake was put in the bag upside down. I marched in to speak
>>to the manager (I noticed the cake when putting the groceries in the car). He was really snotty
>>about it but did reimburse me for the cake.
>
> I used to work at Kroger's first as a bagger, then a checker, and then as a baker in the pastry
> shop. I can't tell you how many times a bagger would bring back a cake that somehow got messed up
> before the customer got it out of the store. The worst part was that we would have to stop what we
> were doing and decorate a new cake for the the customer for free. So not only did we lose the sale
> of the first cake, we lost the sale of the second cake too.

That situation would put me in a murderous mood if I was the baker. I can't understand how you could
keep from going to the meat department, borrow a giant cleaver, and serve up some cubed bagger :)

Michael
--
"Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of scented
urine." ~~James Joyce, Irish writer (1882-1941)

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> The best thing you can do besides complain is to open that bottle of Vodka and pour up a nice
> martini to settle the nerves. Provided the checkout people managed to put it in the bag :)

If you were making a martini, why would you need a bottle of vodka?

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: [email protected] (DJS0302) deliciously posted in news:20040221142953.02009.00000122@mb-
: m22.aol.com:
:
[...]
======

SNORT!!! Gosh Michael, have I told you lately how much I'm glad that you're back?! Cyndi <Remove a
"b" to reply

"Tim Vanhoof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g9ivr6.1qnyzpg16v8xssN%[email protected]...
: Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
:
: >
: > The best thing you can do besides complain is to open that
bottle of Vodka
: > and pour up a nice martini to settle the nerves. Provided the
checkout
: > people managed to put it in the bag :)
: >
:
: If you were making a martini, why would you need a bottle of
vodka?
: ====

For a Vodka Martini. Seriously. That's one of the drinks I used to drink...
--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

[email protected] (Tim Vanhoof) deliciously posted in
news:1g9ivr6.1qnyzpg16v8xssN%[email protected]:

> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
>

>> The best thing you can do besides complain is to open that bottle of Vodka and pour up a nice
>> martini to settle the nerves. Provided the checkout people managed to put it in the bag :)
>>

> If you were making a martini, why would you need a bottle of vodka?

Oh dear God! Tim must be a martini purist ;) What a thread *that* was eons ago. Make it gin if you
prefer an pour mine dirty (which according to the purists is not a martini ;)

Michael