OT: Leatherman Tools.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trentus, May 23, 2003.

  1. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    Slightly OT, but since many of us carry these sorts of tools with us when we are riding, then it's
    possibly of some interest to some.

    I Just had the tip of the pliers on my leatherman wave break last week. Lifetime warranty, so took
    to shop, told could take up to 10 days.

    FIVE DAYS later, and TWO of those were a weekend, I get told it's back. They replaced the broken
    pliers as expected, but they also replaced BOTH the well worn blades, without even needing to be
    asked (in fact I wouldn't have asked, as they were in that condition from some pretty inferior
    sharpening techniques at times when I haven't had the time to do a proper sharpening.

    Now THAT'S why I carry a Leatherman rather than a gerber, SOG, or any other brand. Can't much beat
    service like that, considering Australia's lousy postal service. It would have taken at least 2 of
    those days in transit, and another two of those days were weekend days, so not much of anything gets
    done on weekends, so basically they recieved it, and repaired it, and sent it back out, in ONE DAY.

    Trentus

    Tags:

  2. Grant Byrne

    Grant Byrne Guest

    Trentus wrote:

    >Slightly OT, but since many of us carry these sorts of tools with us when we are riding, then it's
    >possibly of some interest to some.
    >

    >I Just had the tip of the pliers on my leatherman wave break last week. Lifetime warranty, so took
    >to shop, told could take up to 10 days.
    >
    >FIVE DAYS later, and TWO of those were a weekend, I get told it's back. They replaced the broken
    >pliers as expected, but they also replaced BOTH the well worn blades, without even needing to be
    >asked (in fact I wouldn't have asked, as they were in that condition from some pretty inferior
    >sharpening techniques at times when I haven't had the time to do a proper sharpening.
    >
    >Now THAT'S why I carry a Leatherman rather than a gerber, SOG, or any other brand. Can't much
    >beat service like that, considering Australia's lousy postal service. It would have taken at
    >least 2 of those days in transit, and another two of those days were weekend days, so not much of
    >anything gets done on weekends, so basically they recieved it, and repaired it, and sent it back
    >out, in ONE DAY.
    >
    >Trentus

    Which dealer did you take it to?

    Grant.

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Trentus wrote:
    >
    > >Slightly OT, but since many of us carry these sorts of tools with us when we are riding, then
    > >it's possibly of some interest to some.
    > >

    > >I Just had the tip of the pliers on my leatherman wave break last week. Lifetime warranty, so
    > >took to shop, told could take up to 10 days.
    > >
    > >FIVE DAYS later, and TWO of those were a weekend, I get told it's back. They replaced the broken
    > >pliers as expected, but they also replaced BOTH the well worn blades, without even needing to be
    > >asked (in fact I wouldn't have asked, as they were in that condition from some pretty inferior
    > >sharpening techniques at times when I haven't had the time to do a proper sharpening.
    > >
    > >Now THAT'S why I carry a Leatherman rather than a gerber, SOG, or any other brand. Can't much
    > >beat service like that, considering Australia's lousy postal service. It would have taken at
    > >least 2 of those days in transit, and another two of those days were weekend days, so not much of
    > >anything gets done on weekends, so basically they recieved it, and repaired it, and sent it back
    > >out, in ONE DAY.
    > >
    > >Trentus
    > >

    > Which dealer did you take it to?
    >
    > Grant.

    really, my leatherman is in pretty sorry shape.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Slightly OT, but since many of us carry these sorts of tools with us when we are riding, then it's
    > possibly of some interest to some.
    >

    > I Just had the tip of the pliers on my leatherman wave break last week. Lifetime warranty, so took
    > to shop, told could take up to 10 days.
    >
    > FIVE DAYS later, and TWO of those were a weekend, I get told it's back. They replaced the broken
    > pliers as expected, but they also replaced BOTH the well worn blades, without even needing to be
    > asked (in fact I wouldn't have asked, as they were in that condition from some pretty inferior
    > sharpening techniques at times when I haven't had the time to do a proper sharpening.
    >
    > Now THAT'S why I carry a Leatherman rather than a gerber, SOG, or any
    other
    > brand. Can't much beat service like that, considering Australia's lousy postal service. It would
    > have taken at least 2 of those days in transit, and another two of those days were weekend days,
    > so not much of anything gets done on weekends, so basically they recieved it, and repaired it, and
    > sent it back out, in ONE DAY.
    >
    > Trentus

    Happy I've got my Wave sitting right next to me on the table here. Its still in pretty good
    condition though, I've been taking care of it (that and its only 6 months old). If I'm going on a
    ride longer than 2 or 3 hours, it's got its place in my camelbak.

    Jon Bond

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Slightly OT, but since many of us carry these sorts of tools with us when we are riding, then
    > > it's possibly of some interest to some.

    It's not off-topic at all. Multitools like the Leatherman are an invaluable addition to any mountain
    biker's pack. I have an original Leatherman and a really nice Victorinox that my brother gave me for
    Christmas.

    > > I Just had the tip of the pliers on my leatherman wave break last week. Lifetime warranty, so
    > > took to shop, told could take up to 10 days.
    > >
    > > FIVE DAYS later, and TWO of those were a weekend, I get told it's back. They replaced the broken
    > > pliers as expected, but they also replaced BOTH the well worn blades, without even needing to be
    > > asked (in fact I wouldn't have asked, as they were in that condition from some pretty inferior
    > > sharpening techniques at times when I haven't had the time to do a proper sharpening.
    > >
    > > Now THAT'S why I carry a Leatherman rather than a gerber, SOG, or any
    > other
    > > brand. Can't much beat service like that, considering Australia's lousy postal service. It would
    > > have taken at least 2 of those days in transit, and another two of those days were weekend days,
    > > so not much of anything gets done on weekends, so basically they recieved it, and repaired it,
    > > and sent it back out, in ONE DAY.

    Good customer service like that is also invaluable. I must admit though that the Victorinox has a
    better grip and higher quality blades than the Leatherman.

    Someone has pics of it somewhere, my Leatherman was used in a field surgery when a local doctor (Dr
    Foley) extracted an imbedded stick from the leg of my Vernalian friend Rich. Oucheewawa.

    JD

  6. Leatherman are very good for this sort of thing, I broke a blade on a black supertool (doing
    something stupid) and they replaced the whole thing, no questions asked. I wear this at work now. I
    also have a Leatherman Wave and a Gerber Legend. I prefer the Legend for most things. It's a lot
    bigger than the Wave. I don't carry any of them on the bike. Topeak Alien is the choice there.

    Gavin MacKinnon

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Slightly OT, but since many of us carry these sorts of tools with us when we are riding, then it's
    > possibly of some interest to some.
    >

    > I Just had the tip of the pliers on my leatherman wave break last week. Lifetime warranty, so took
    > to shop, told could take up to 10 days.
    >
    > FIVE DAYS later, and TWO of those were a weekend, I get told it's back. They replaced the broken
    > pliers as expected, but they also replaced BOTH the well worn blades, without even needing to be
    > asked (in fact I wouldn't have asked, as they were in that condition from some pretty inferior
    > sharpening techniques at times when I haven't had the time to do a proper sharpening.
    >
    > Now THAT'S why I carry a Leatherman rather than a gerber, SOG, or any
    other
    > brand. Can't much beat service like that, considering Australia's lousy postal service. It would
    > have taken at least 2 of those days in transit, and another two of those days were weekend days,
    > so not much of anything gets done on weekends, so basically they recieved it, and repaired it, and
    > sent it back out, in ONE DAY.
    >
    > Trentus

  7. Trentus

    Trentus Guest