(OT) Life span of tinyurls?

Dan Daniel

Guest
Does anyone know what the life span is of a 'tiny url' link?
Do they expire after a set period of time?

I ask because I see many links posted as just the 'tiny url'
and wonder what will happen in a month, six months, a year.
Will the 'tiny url' link still be active, or is the link
lost to anyone looking through the archive of, say, a
newsgroup?

Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone know what the life span is of a 'tiny url'
> link? Do they expire after a set period of time?
>
> I ask because I see many links posted as just the 'tiny
> url' and wonder what will happen in a month, six months, a
> year. Will the 'tiny url' link still be active, or is the
> link lost to anyone looking through the archive of, say, a
> newsgroup?

Interesting question -- went on a little non-scientific
research effort. Search the google archives using the term
"tinyurl.com" and found the earliest date to be from 3 Feb,
2002. The link still worked. I tried a few others and most
worked fine. Their copywrite banner states 2002 to 2004 so I
doubt there's any chance of finding anything prior.

Interestingly enough, the earliest link I could find was
this: http://tinyurl.com/o which links to a unicyle shop
(.....he writes as he skillfully brings the thread almost
back on topic.)

Tom

In article <fs6Dc.25503$cj3.7269@lakeread01>,
"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the life span is of a 'tiny url'
> > link? Do they expire after a set period of time?
> >
> > I ask because I see many links posted as just the 'tiny
> > url' and wonder what will happen in a month, six months,
> > a year. Will the 'tiny url' link still be active, or is
> > the link lost to anyone looking through the archive of,
> > say, a newsgroup?
>
> Interesting question -- went on a little non-scientific
> research effort. Search the google archives using the
> term "tinyurl.com" and found the earliest date to be
> from 3 Feb, 2002. The link still worked. I tried a few
> others and most worked fine. Their copywrite banner
> states 2002 to 2004 so I doubt there's any chance of
> finding anything prior.

Tinyurl themselves says the links are permanent.
Whether the referenced page will outlast the tinyurl is
another question.

> Interestingly enough, the earliest link I could find was
> this: http://tinyurl.com/o which links to a unicyle shop
> (.....he writes as he skillfully brings the thread almost
> back on topic.)

Yes. Parts of that unicycle site are probably a great number
of the early Tinyurls, since I think one of the creators was
a unicyclist. tinyurl.com/1 (0 doesn't work) points at
Gilby's site.

More topically, behold a...two-wheeled unicycle.

http://www.gilby.com/unicycling/photos/2wheeler/

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio