OT, (like it matters) How long will the war last.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> | > Hopefully just a few days. I have students in my class from Iraq and they are very excited
> | > about Saddam being removed from power.
> | >
> | > -T
> | >
> | What did Nostradamus predict "That great leader would succumb and so
begin
> | world 3" All well and good but I don't know of any great leaders.
>
> Actually the book of Nostradamus was in french and some pieces were very obscure at best. It is
> the translators that have twisted the wording to
suit
> a modern day life. He was a prophet yes but his words are rarely heard amidst the later day
> translational texts.
>
> Simon

And wasn't there just an enormous body of predictions made over his entire lifetime? Thousands and
thousands of predictions from the simple and mundane to the elaborate and fantastic? Something for
everything and everywhere? Take your pick. What matches our situation the best?

Westie

> TJ wrote:
> > You should consider your self lucky to live in that bubble of yours.
Like
> > the " Confirmed Reports" said. " Sadam is massing chemical weapons in southern Iraq" I thought
> > he did't have any chemical weapons. And, I
am
> > sure that you will find that there are several links of Iraq to
terrorist.
> > You are just ignoring them. I.E. Saddam allows terrorist to train
within
> > his borders. No connection Huh? I am going to go for a ride and think about my freedom.
>
> You have links to these "confirmed reports"? Independently verified evidence of Iraq training
> terrorists?
>
> Quick question for you: if it was a link to terrorism, why was this dropped so quickly as a stated
> motive for war?
>
> > TJ without head in sand.
>
> No, but it's certainly somewhere...

I guess terrorist having C.B.R. weapons and using them makes you and your family feel safe at home.
No one likes war. War should be avoided. The
U.N has failed. The U.S will not. It's all about the oil and the secret Bush agenda to rule the
oilfields of the middle east.

> Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Any ideas? A few day's? A few month's?
>
> The initial barrage will be so severe that the rank and file Iraqi soldiers will surrender at the
> first opportunity (remember them surrendering to the camera crews last time?). These guys aren't
> willing to die for Saddam. Good choice.
>
> There will be some hard line Republican Guard types that put up a fight in Baghdad no doubt - and
> that will cause the most allied casualties (probably not a huge number, though any is too many).
>
> The Iraqi civilian deaths will be relatively few - certainly fewer Iraqis will die during the war
> than would die over the next decade under Saddam. This is one of the reasons the billions spent
> developing smarter weapons pays off. Sadly, there will be unnecessary civilian deaths because of
> Saddam's penchant for locating military targets in the middle of Iraqi civilian centers (for
> example, locating anti-aircraft guns on hospitals and schools, or filling military bunkers with
> civilians).
>
> After the smoke clears we get to see if it was all worth it or not. If we dig through the rubble
> (and pay off the scientists) and don't find any chemical or biological weapons, or any evidence of
> an ongoing nuclear program, there will be a well-deserved backlash toward the Bush and Blair
> administrations.

Of course WMD will be found. Even if there weren't any, they will be found.

> If OTOH we turn up the WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) and programs in great quantities, Bush
> and Blair look like geniuses and the UN Security Council takes on the relevance of MV at a NORBA
> conference.
>
> >Do you care?
>
> Of course. War sucks. Any war. But sometimes war is better than the alternative. IMHO this war
> really isn't all about Iraq, but how the world is going to deal with the WMD that could soon going
> to give huge destructive power to any two bit thug who wants it. You can bet Kim Jong Il is
> watching what happens in Iraq closely, as are many other regimes in the near and middle east
> (Iran, Pakistan, India).
>
> We can (as a world society) try to prevent the proliferation of WMD into the hands of those who
> would use them to gain political power, or we can sit back and wait for the inevitable.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Westie

> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How can I not - I'm frustrated and I wish I knew a way to make the world see the real agenda Bush
> >and his gang has. Here in Denmark the goverment has decided to have our military take part in the
> >war and thereby going against hte majority of the people.
>
> Could it be they know something you don't? You seem to have no faith in US leaders, but it seems
> yours have reached the same conclusions.
>
> >Of course I don't want Saddam to keep being a dictator manhandling the human rights of the Iraqi
> >people, but I can only see war as the absolutely last mean and only then with a full UN backing.
>
> You know that's not going to happen though. It's clear Saddam won't disarm without force, and it's
> clear that France (and maybe Russia) will veto any resolution calling for force. Checkmate. This
> IS the last option, sadly (short of Saddam self-exiling himself, not likely).
>
> >It pisses me of to hear the simplifications and the half lies Bush offer to the US people in his
> >speaches. Just take the double standards he keeps using - he bashes Iraq for not following the UN
> >requirements and on the same time he says that if the UN doesn't see it his way he will not
> >follow their rules!
>
> The flip side of that coin is the people who don't seem to have a problem with Saddam ignoring 12
> years and a dozen resolutions, but do seem to have a problem with Bush carrying out the threat
> contained clearly in resolution 1441.
>
> I respect your opinion, but we (as a civilized world society) need to decide how we're going to
> deal with the very real threat that WMD pose in the post-9/11 world. What happens if we give Iraq
> more years, and they DO manage to develop a nuclear weapon? Next time they take Kuwait, they keep
> it unless you don't mind seeing Tel Aviv melted. Oops.

I don't particularly agree with the war. But there is no doubt that Saddam is a thug. And he will
cause problems in the future - if not for the USA then for other people. Sometimes you've gotta do
unpleasant things that some people don't agree with to prevent problems in the future. And Weapons
of Mass Destrusction or not, you can be damned sure that Saddam is going to cause someone some pain
somewhere if he's allowed to continue to do what he's been doing. I don't agree with everything that
the US does or some of the rhetoric and rationalisations that they have been using but they're just
about the only ones that can do something about Iraq. Certainly they're the only ones in recent
years that have had the motivation to do something about Iraq.

Tristan wrote:

>> Of course. My girlfriend, my family and most of my friends live in London and the South East of
>> England. The actions of Bush and Blair are putting them in danger.
>

> You mean they live in Londonistan? Your appeasement is putting your friends and family in danger.
> Wake up Coward !!

"It is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag
the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a
communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the
peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any
country." - Goering

> The simplistic British................

It's probably why they're blindly following the US...

TJ wrote:

> I guess terrorist having C.B.R. weapons and using them makes you and your family feel safe
> at home.

How many times have CBR weapons been used by terrorists? I can think of one incident in a Japanese
subway where chemical agents were used, but that was committed by a loony cult, IIRC.

No one likes war. War should be avoided. The
> U.N has failed.

The UN didn't fail. The US weren't getting their own way, threw their toys out the pram and decided
to ignore it. Isn't democracy beautiful?

The U.S will not. It's all about the oil and the secret
> Bush agenda to rule the oilfields of the middle east.

I don't believe that it's all about oil, but I think it's naive to think that it's irrelevant -
http://westchesterweekly.com/gbase/Lifestyle/content.html?oid=oid:1507

Mark Hickey wrote:

>>Do you have a link to further information about that? I was under the impression that even the US
>>government had dropped that link.
>

> Saddam has sending families of suicide bombers $25K each, though he recently reduced that to $10K.
> There is solid evidence that he has supplied harbor and training to teorrist groups, including AQ.

I'll ask again: Do you have any independtly verified proof of this? Why was terrorism dropped as a
motive for an imminent war against Iraq by the US government?

I'm
> not aware of anyone claiming a significant "direct connection" between Saddam and 9/11, but if
> he's helping train or fund any teorrist activity, he's fair game in my book.

Ironic how people in the US now have this anti-terrorism stance but for years funded dissident Irish
groups to commit acts of terrorism...

>>A lot hinges on the main argument that is going on between nations at the moment - does Iraq pose
>>a credible and immediate threat to the US and UK? I'll side with everyone else and say no,
>>although I'm sure you disagree :)
>

> Hey, war IS hell and no one wants a war. But sometimes it is the best alternative. Look at the
> facts: Saddam is known to have had vast stores of WMD, hasn't given them up or destroyed them, is
> openly hostile to the US and allies, has attacked Iran and Kuwait, and has used WMD and very
> "unbalanced" tactics (such as torching the Kuwait oil fields on the way out). There's nothing
> about him to make me think he wouldn't give or sell WMD to anti-US or anti-western terrorist
> groups. The guy's a rabid dog that needs to be put down (IMHO of course).

I agree with you on most of those points - I just disagree with the methods being employed.

>>Firstly, the majority of the US is not 'most of the world'. Secondly, I think you'll find that the
>>majority of the US is not in favour of the war. In a recent Gallup poll only 47% were in favour of
>>going to war without a second resolution. 50% were against.
>

> Another US poll that asked the question differently found 71% in favor of using military force to
> remove and disarm Saddam. I think most of us in the US is pretty fed up with the Security
> Council's actions and isn't as patient as they may have been a month ago.

Because the US / UK are not getting their own way?

>>We can speculate on motives, but it is unlikely that the US would have got a second resolution
>>backing force, even without the threat of vetoes of France and Russia. It's one of the reason's
>>that the US and UK have skipped it altogether.
>

> True enough - France said it would veto any resolution calling for force. Hmmmm. I wonder what
> THEY had in mind to get Saddam to disarm after "only" 12 years and a dozen resolutions being
> thrown back in the UN's face. Maybe they'd say "pretty please"?

So now the UN is relevant again? Why isn't the US invading Israel for its breaches of UN resolutions
over the past 40-50 years?

>>And this is exactly the attitude that gets you in to trouble. Perhaps it is because it's so poorly
>>reported, but the US is not always the knight in shining armour - in fact, often quite the
>>opposite.
>

> Can't argue that - sometimes we get ourselves into a situation where there are only bad choices to
> make. OTOH, while lots of people (in the US too) like to berate the US for acting like the
> "world's cop", most would choose to HAVE the US as a cop than none at all.

I don't mind having the US as a cop. I just don't like the fact that they've now appointed
themselves as judge, jury and executioner.

>>I agree, but this goes back to the link between Iraq and terrorism. More substantiative proof
>>would convince many to side with the US and UK, but it's the lack of this, and the constantly
>>changing motives that cause many to object to attacking Iraq.
>

> I've seen a lot of sand thrown in the air over some of the details (like claims of a direct link
> between Saddam and 9/11 or the forged Nigerian uranium document). Even though neither of these was
> a reason for what's going on now, they seem to be pointed at as proof that the reason for
> attacking Iraq is flawed.

I don't think things such as the Nigerian uranium document were proof that the war is flawed, more
that it showed the lengths that the US and UK were prepared to go to, to justify the war. The point
is that current justification is flimsy, at best.

> Bottom line, the guy's got WMD, isn't stable enough to be trusted, and isn't going to give them up
> without a fight. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Most of your argument hinges on the possibility that Iraq may supply WMD to terrorist groups. To
launch a war on speculation is setting a dangerous precedent, IMO. In addition, this is not even the
motive stated by the US and the UK for going to war.

Again, we'll come back to the argument over whether Iraq poses a real and credible threat to world
peace. I still don't believe they do, but you obviously do.

> Mark "been doin' a lot of reading on the subject" Hickey

Nice to have a debate with someone who has, rather than just dismissing me as a 'coward' or 'having
my head in the sand'.

Mark Hickey wrote:

>>Of course I don't want Saddam to keep being a dictator manhandling the human rights of the Iraqi
>>people, but I can only see war as the absolutely last mean and only then with a full UN backing.
>

> You know that's not going to happen though. It's clear Saddam won't disarm without force, and it's
> clear that France (and maybe Russia) will veto any resolution calling for force. Checkmate. This
> IS the last option, sadly (short of Saddam self-exiling himself, not likely).

France (and possibly Russia) haven't ruled out a resolution calling for force - they just won't
approve it immediately before all other avenues have been explored.

>>It pisses me of to hear the simplifications and the half lies Bush offer to the US people in his
>>speaches. Just take the double standards he keeps using - he bashes Iraq for not following the UN
>>requirements and on the same time he says that if the UN doesn't see it his way he will not follow
>>their rules!
>

> The flip side of that coin is the people who don't seem to have a problem with Saddam ignoring 12
> years and a dozen resolutions, but do seem to have a problem with Bush carrying out the threat
> contained clearly in resolution 1441.

The fact is that resolution 1441 is a UN document. Attacking because of this document without the
backing of the UN seems hypocritical. Added to which, the US support of a country which consistently
breaches UN resolutions can also be viewed as hypocritical (and possibly part of the reason why
we've ended up in this mess in the first place).

> I respect your opinion, but we (as a civilized world society) need to decide how we're going to
> deal with the very real threat that WMD pose in the post-9/11 world. What happens if we give Iraq
> more years, and they DO manage to develop a nuclear weapon? Next time they take Kuwait, they keep
> it unless you don't mind seeing Tel Aviv melted. Oops.

What about all the other countries with WMD? Why Iraq? Why now?

> History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea.

The US seems to make a habit of it :)

History will show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and
> your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.

Playing sweepstakes with international conflict can be fun :)

Mark Hickey wrote:

>>I'm going to be ultra-cynical, but I won't automatically believe them even if they do find weapons
>>of mass destruction.
>

> There are people who will buy into nearly any conspiracy theory (my favorite recent one was that
> the second airplane that hit the WTC was actually shot down with a missile just before hitting the
> building).

I'd hardly consider myself one who 'buys into nearly any conspiracy theory'. I don't, however,
believe in automatically consuming everything that I'm fed by the government and the media.

> But realize the logistical implications of transporting and planting tons of chemical and
> biological weaponry halfway around the world. Add to that the scrutiny that the weapons will get
> from scientists around the world, and it becomes pretty hard to imagine anyone could pull off such
> a stunt (and keep it quiet).

Why not? They managed to keep the faked moon landings a secret! (Just kidding :)

I think it would be easier than you envisage. It would also benefit almost everyone involved, which
is what is provoking my cynicism.

>>Who's going to take them away from George W. Bush?
>

> Would you really feel safer if the US disarmed?

Let's just say I'd feel a damn sight more comfortable if Dubya wasn't in control of them.

You all want it to stop but don't want to pay the all out cost. In other words you want it to just
go away. Or may be you want the UN to keep looking and wasting time.While France,
Germany,China,and Russia make their money, trade,wheel and deal. Everything like tech,oil, and
weapons. And the Frogs get back their billions from Irag. And if you don't know what a frog is you
may have to visit France.

Fire up MTB 03

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:22:37 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Iraq is not incongruous. Brit and American pilots fly over that dirt
>speck
>> > every day and risk their lives getting shot at trying to enforce UN Sanctions.
>>
>> You've missed my point. That Iraq is unrelated to any terrorist activity.
>
> Ah. Ok. We have a basic disagreement here. I don't believe that Saddam is unrelated to terrorism.
> It's been proven that he supports terrorism and terrorist groups to include AQ.

even going a far as letting them s/u their training camps within Iraqs borders. Nope, no terroism
connection whatsoever. Whatever...

>> > Avoiding another 9/11 is one goal here from my perspective
>>
>> And blowing the **** out of Iraq will help prevent that how?

It won't. The order to attack th US will come from somewhere else. But it won't be coming from
Bagdad will it?

>A chemical/biological armed Saddam and terrorist groups with the means to deliver them into large
>cities is the risk. One that I believe is not worth taking.
>

>> but a more
>> > important point for me is shutting down the time sucking waste called UN sanction enforcement
>> > in Iraq. I think its time to shut Iraq down and
>make
>> > the UN irrelevant in that region.

18 month's of giving Saddam every opportunity to disarm, and he hasn't. The UN has failed the world
by not enforcing it's own resolutions. The US is just going to enforce them for them. The UN has
been irrelevant for a long, long time. Too long IMHO!

>> Why?

see above.

> I "misspoke" when I said make the UN irrelevant in the region. They've done that all by
> themselves. But shutting down Iraq is a win/win for us. We don't have to risk our lives over that
> country enforcing sanctions and we can downsize our presence. Although a downside is the loss of
> valuable training for our "wing nuts". ;)

There is no doubt in my mind to the validity of this statement. Look at the facts. The UN has let
this get entirely out of hand. It will be corrected soon though.

They've been in danger for the past umpteen thousands of years from Northern Ireland. They're
used to it.

>> > In my opinion, the freedom haters who are disposed to attack our
>countries
>> > don't need an excuse or orders from Iraq to do it.
>>
>> Indeed. There's no proven link between terrorism and Iraq.

Al Qaeda training camps is a close enough connection to me.

>> What's changed? The fact that the US and UK are going in to a war unsanctioned by the UN

Wrong. It has been sanctioned. Resolution 1481 was signed by ALL 15 member nations of the Security
council over a YEAR AGO. Yes indeed, France, Germany, and Russia ALL signed off on it over a YEAR
AGO. That means we have given Saddam OVER A YEAR to comply with the world council. The time for
diplomacy has lasted for OVER A YEAR. Times up. pencils down.

and in face of public opinion throughout the
>> world. The surge in anger that will accompany an attack on Iraq is likely to mobilise a whole new
>> band of people that will tie themselves to extremist causes. Watch and see.

Have you not been paying attention. It doesn't matter. 9/11 happened while we were allowing Saddam
to NOT comply with UN resolutions. I believe that if any terrorist actions are going to take place,
it won't be because of our actions in the Gulf. I think those types of plans are, and have been,
already in motion.

>I don't doubt that people with a penchant for hating our cultures will feel validated but they will
>have one less source of WMD and will be less capable of mass murder. I don't agree that the world
>is against this action either. The overwhelming majority of the US people support this action. The
>overwhleming majority of the UN supports us and over 40 other countries around the world are in
>favor of this action. The UN "support" was torpedoed by a very few with motives that I believe had
>nothing to do with terrorism.

Ah but those three gave there support a scant 15 mts ago. Bush isn't lettting them ***** out now
just because they have oil contracts worth billions with Saddam.

>> You need to better understand the motives of those who are willing to attack you. It's nothing to
>> do with 'hating freedom' or despising democracy. It has more to do with the actions of the US -
>> invading Iraq will only augment this feeling.

Well then they should've complied with 1481. They didn't. Times up.

> The actions of the US? Everything we do around the world pisses SOMEBODY off. No other country in
> the world has done so much with so little thanks. As far as I'm concerned if they think we are
> out looking for a fight after 9/11 then they are right. A miniscule number of people with body
> bombs or other improvised devices should not be able to hold the free world hostage.

Damn skippy.

DAve

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

| "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| >
| > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| > |

| > | What did Nostradamus predict "That great leader would succumb and so
| begin
| > | world 3" All well and good but I don't know of any great leaders.
| >
| > Actually the book of Nostradamus was in french and some pieces were very obscure at best. It is
| > the translators that have twisted the wording to
| suit
| > a modern day life. He was a prophet yes but his words are rarely heard amidst the later day
| > translational texts.
| >
| > Simon
|
| And wasn't there just an enormous body of predictions made over his entire lifetime? Thousands and
| thousands of predictions from the simple and mundane to the elaborate and fantastic? Something for
| everything and everywhere? Take your pick. What matches our situation the best?
|
| Westie

You got it in one. He was like the "walmart" of predictors. Thousands of varieties and all ****.

Simon

[email protected] wrote:
> You all want it to stop but don't want to pay the all out cost. In other words you
> want it to just go away. Or may be you want the UN to keep looking and wasting
> time.While France, Germany,China,and Russia make their money, trade,wheel and
> deal. Everything like tech,oil, and weapons. And the Frogs get back their billions
> from Irag. And if you don't know what a frog is you may have to visit France.

If you're going to join in, try using coherent English.

[email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

>Tristan says:
>
>>The simplistic British................
>
>Compared to who? If you're comparing to us Americans, you.ve got it all bass-ackwards.

The Brits tend to be much more tuned into their political processes than the Americans. But that's
largely because theirs are MUCH more fun to watch. ;-) The US has far too many humourless (sic)
polititians to engage in the witty style of debate used in the UK.

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course WMD will be found. Even if there weren't any, they will be found.

Do you really doubt that Iraq has WMD? Even after they admit having tons of them in the 90's, and
can't produce any evidence they've destroyed them? Even after they order their front line troops
to use them?

I've got a bridge for sale you may be interested in... ;-)

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>>>Of course I don't want Saddam to keep being a dictator manhandling the human rights of the Iraqi
>>>people, but I can only see war as the absolutely last mean and only then with a full UN backing.

>> You know that's not going to happen though. It's clear Saddam won't disarm without force, and
>> it's clear that France (and maybe Russia) will veto any resolution calling for force. Checkmate.
>> This IS the last option, sadly (short of Saddam self-exiling himself, not likely).
>
>France (and possibly Russia) haven't ruled out a resolution calling for force - they just won't
>approve it immediately before all other avenues have been explored.

France said they'd veto any resolution linked to force as the result of Iraqi non-compliance. Their
"answer" to the issue is (surprise) another 6 months of inspections.

What most people have lost track of is that the UN resolution wasn't to instigate a UN scavenger
hunt to try and find the weapons, but for Iraq to fully cooperate and give up the known weapons, and
to give up information on ongoing weapons programs. They have never done this. Another 6 months of
inspections won't fix the problem, even if we DO find more WMD than we already have.

>> The flip side of that coin is the people who don't seem to have a problem with Saddam ignoring 12
>> years and a dozen resolutions, but do seem to have a problem with Bush carrying out the threat
>> contained clearly in resolution 1441.
>
>The fact is that resolution 1441 is a UN document. Attacking because of this document without the
>backing of the UN seems hypocritical. Added to which, the US support of a country which
>consistently breaches UN resolutions can also be viewed as hypocritical (and possibly part of the
>reason why we've ended up in this mess in the first place).

The question is whether the UN would EVER enforce its resolutions. Right now, the answer is "no".
Iraq should have been given three months in '91 to comply - no more. The Kim Jong Ils of the world
are waiting to see if there really ARE consequences to developing WMD programs or not. If the UN
can't answer that question in the affirmative, I'm glad the US is willing to (along with 45+ other
nations, hardly a "unilateral" action).

>> I respect your opinion, but we (as a civilized world society) need to decide how we're going to
>> deal with the very real threat that WMD pose in the post-9/11 world. What happens if we give Iraq
>> more years, and they DO manage to develop a nuclear weapon? Next time they take Kuwait, they keep
>> it unless you don't mind seeing Tel Aviv melted. Oops.
>
>What about all the other countries with WMD? Why Iraq? Why now?

I think it's clear "why Iraq". They're not the only threat, but certainly enough of a threat. My
question is "why NOT now?"

>> History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea.
>
>The US seems to make a habit of it :)
>
>History will show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and
>> your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.
>
>Playing sweepstakes with international conflict can be fun :)

Wanna start a pool? ;-)

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>>>I'm going to be ultra-cynical, but I won't automatically believe them even if they do find
>>>weapons of mass destruction.
>>

>> There are people who will buy into nearly any conspiracy theory (my favorite recent one was that
>> the second airplane that hit the WTC was actually shot down with a missile just before hitting
>> the building).
>
>I'd hardly consider myself one who 'buys into nearly any conspiracy theory'. I don't, however,
>believe in automatically consuming everything that I'm fed by the government and the media.

I agree with you on not automatically accepting everything at face value (the price of having humans
as leaders). But very few really believe that Iraq does NOT have chemical and biological weapons.
Fewer still believe that since the front line Iraqi troops were given orders to deploy them. Nice
that France has offered to join the fight in the event Iraq actually USES them... it's a strange
world we live
in.

>> But realize the logistical implications of transporting and planting tons of chemical and
>> biological weaponry halfway around the world. Add to that the scrutiny that the weapons will get
>> from scientists around the world, and it becomes pretty hard to imagine anyone could pull off
>> such a stunt (and keep it quiet).
>
>Why not? They managed to keep the faked moon landings a secret! (Just kidding :)

Heh heh heh...

>I think it would be easier than you envisage. It would also benefit almost everyone involved, which
>is what is provoking my cynicism.

They won't have to fake it, IMHO. More importantly, there will be plenty of Iraqi scientists
tripping over themselves to sell information on WMD programs before someone else does - there will
be plenty of "independent input" on the subject (I predict).

>>>Who's going to take them away from George W. Bush?
>>
>> Would you really feel safer if the US disarmed?
>
>Let's just say I'd feel a damn sight more comfortable if Dubya wasn't in control of them.

You'll have a say on that subject in a couple years! ;-)

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>>>Do you have a link to further information about that? I was under the impression that even the US
>>>government had dropped that link.
>>
>> Saddam has sending families of suicide bombers $25K each, though he recently reduced that to
>> $10K. There is solid evidence that he has supplied harbor and training to teorrist groups,
>> including AQ.
>
>I'll ask again: Do you have any independtly verified proof of this? Why was terrorism dropped as a
>motive for an imminent war against Iraq by the US government?

There's no doubt at all about the funding for the families of PLO suicide bomber. I'm not sure what
will qualify as "independent" on links to other teorrist organization support, since the only
information is going to come from intelligence organizations belonging to "friendly governments".
Geraldo won't be showing video on the training camps if that's what you mean... ;-)

>I'm
>> not aware of anyone claiming a significant "direct connection" between Saddam and 9/11, but if
>> he's helping train or fund any teorrist activity, he's fair game in my book.
>
>Ironic how people in the US now have this anti-terrorism stance but for years funded dissident
>Irish groups to commit acts of terrorism...

I would agree with you 100% that those who would actually contribute to terrorists in Belfast but
support the war on teorrism in the middle east have to be living in denial.

>> Another US poll that asked the question differently found 71% in favor of using military force to
>> remove and disarm Saddam. I think most of us in the US is pretty fed up with the Security
>> Council's actions and isn't as patient as they may have been a month ago.
>
>Because the US / UK are not getting their own way?

In a word, yes. But don't dismiss "their own way" as the wrong thing.

I'm a simple guy, and I look at this as a simple issue.

1) Iraq has WMD (there is no doubt)
2) Saddam's regime is aggressive, and has used WMD
3) Saddam is openly anti-US (for example, tried to have an ex president assassinated)
4) There's nothing that makes me think he would hesitate to give or sell WMD to those who would use
them on the US or other western culture.
5) I don't want to wait until he DOES have a nuke to have to deal with him.

>> True enough - France said it would veto any resolution calling for force. Hmmmm. I wonder what
>> THEY had in mind to get Saddam to disarm after "only" 12 years and a dozen resolutions being
>> thrown back in the UN's face. Maybe they'd say "pretty please"?
>
>So now the UN is relevant again? Why isn't the US invading Israel for its breaches of UN
>resolutions over the past 40-50 years?

The UN wasn't wrong when it demanded Iraq give up its WMD. The problem is the UN currently has no
teeth, and is little more than a debating society.

The Israel situation is a lot more complex, and has to do with a two-party dance that's been going
on for decades.

In the end, if the UN took firm and forceful actions to back up its resolutions, neither of the
above situations would be a problem today.

>> I've seen a lot of sand thrown in the air over some of the details (like claims of a direct link
>> between Saddam and 9/11 or the forged Nigerian uranium document). Even though neither of these
>> was a reason for what's going on now, they seem to be pointed at as proof that the reason for
>> attacking Iraq is flawed.
>
>I don't think things such as the Nigerian uranium document were proof that the war is flawed, more
>that it showed the lengths that the US and UK were prepared to go to, to justify the war. The point
>is that current justification is flimsy, at best.

There's no proof that the US or UK had anything to do with the documents (they're hardly necessary
to justify war anyway). They would have been much more convincing if they WERE created by the US,
IMHO. The problem is that they were mentioned at all, but it seems that the scrutiny cycle has been
shortened during the UN debate. They would have been discovered as forgeries otherwise.

>> Bottom line, the guy's got WMD, isn't stable enough to be trusted, and isn't going to give them
>> up without a fight. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
>
>Most of your argument hinges on the possibility that Iraq may supply WMD to terrorist groups. To
>launch a war on speculation is setting a dangerous precedent, IMO. In addition, this is not even
>the motive stated by the US and the UK for going to war.

The reason is to disarm Iraq (one and the same to me).

>Again, we'll come back to the argument over whether Iraq poses a real and credible threat to world
>peace. I still don't believe they do, but you obviously do.

Yes I do. Even if there was no chance any Iraqi WMD would make its way to the shores of the US, I'd
still feel the same about the need to disarm Iraq. His stated goal is to control the middle east,
and make Baghdad the seat of power. As hosed up as things are in the middle east, the last thing we
need (as a world) right now is a repeat of Iraq's attack on Iran or Kuwait. Imagine what happens if
he decided to hit Tel Aviv with some sort of WMD and the Israelis pulled off the gloves. Eeeek.

>> Mark "been doin' a lot of reading on the subject" Hickey
>
>Nice to have a debate with someone who has, rather than just dismissing me as a 'coward' or 'having
>my head in the sand'.

Same here. I really wish there was a viable alternative to war, but it's pretty obvious that's the
only reason Saddam will ever disarm. So it doesn't really come down to the question of if there will
be war, but when. We can argue about the timing, but I propose sooner is better than later.