OT, (like it matters) How long will the war last.

Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Greg, you gotta spend more time studying the issue. You saw what a couple ounces of anthrax did
>> to the country. Imagine 8,500 liters sold to the highest bidder as one example of the threat.
>
>And where did that anthrax come from? Afghanistan? Iraq?? .... If you thought about the issue you'd
>realise that Saddam isn't going to be selling anything to people who see him as an "infidel".

Osama bin Laden issued a statement to the effect of "he's an infidel, but at least he's an infidel
who's opposed to the US so we should cooperate with him". I'm a little surprised that you think Al
Qaeda or Saddam would be overly sensitive about dealings to the detriment of their common enemy.

>> When that happens, you let us know so we can help you gloat. I find it curious that there would
>> be any question about those being sent in to get Iraq back on it's feet having oil backgrounds.
>> Let's see, what is Iraq's economy based on? Oil, maybe?
>
>Well obviously - there'd be no point in attacking somewhere that grows bananas if your pals aren't
>fruit executives, would there? Iraq is in the firing line precisely BECAUSE Dubya and cronies will
>fill their boots in the "reconstruction".

So because Bush used to be attached to the oil industry, he should studiously avoid any issues
dealing with any country that happens to produce oil? Like I keep saying - when you see that Bush
and his team are getting rich over this, feel free to tell me "toldja so". Til they, I'll just
assume it can't happen because of all the scrutiny (even if that was the plan, which I don't
believe either).

>> That's disgusting, Greg. It shows you have NO grasp on the reality of the situation. By the way,
>> you might want to read a little history that doesn't come from sources that draw horns on GWB's
>> photo. You might find that just about every military effort the US has made over the last 20
>> years has been to AID Muslims. We helped the Afghan mujahadin during the Soviet invasion (one in
>> particular doesn't seem to be too thankful) we liberated Kuwait after the Iraqi invasion in 1990,
>> we helped the Somali Muslims in Mogadishu, helped the Muslims in Bosnia and Kosovo against the
>> Serbs. We also liberated Afghanistan from the Taliban and Al Qaeda thugs.
>
>How absurd can you get? "Helping the mujihadeen" is a pro-Muslim act? Pull the other one! For what
>it's worth, girls were being educated during the Soviet occupation. Helping the mujihadeen was just
>a way to oppose the Soviets. In case you've forgotten, the Taliban were seen by the Afghans as the
>least bad of a set of poor choices, and a way to end the civil war. Now the Taliban have gone, what
>is happening in Afghanistan? Turning into Switzerland? I don't think so! Doesn't make the news that
>much, does it? Any idea what's happening in Kosovo lately? Well, to give you a clue there's a KLA
>leader on trial in The Hague just now - and it's not on traffic violations.

What, you DID expect them to turn into Switzerland? Those countries have seriously complex problems
that aren't going to vanish overnight no matter what happens. But I do believe that the one chance
they DO have is via democratic reforms. Eventually the majority do get it right.

> But if course you conveniently forget the biggest military effort made by the US which is the
> arming and support of Israel - oppressor of Muslims par excellence. (Though I have to admit that
> they are also quite busy oppressing Christians.)

The first real step toward fixing the Palestine/Israel problem (it doesn't belong to either one
alone) is for Palestine to lose the PLO. Hopefully the newly-appointed PM will start to pry the
power out of Arafat's hands and reflect the will of the average Palestinian (who wants the same
thing the average Israeli does - to live their lives without worrying about bombs in busses or
bulldozers).

>>> Goodby peace, goodby freedom, hello Armageddon,
>>
>> Hey, deja vu. Wasn't that the lament before the first gulf war? Wasn't that the lament before we
>> went into Afghanistan? Did I miss "Armageddon" the first time (or was it just the goofy Bruce
>> Willis space movie)?
>
>I guess it's a local thing - if you get on the wrong end of a bomb that's pretty much like
>Armageddon.

Yeah, war sucks. If I thought there was an alternative to this one, I'd be very vocal about it. So
far it looks like the civilian casualties are remarkably few (though any is, of course, too many).

> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Of course WMD will be found. Even if there weren't any, they will be
found.

> Do you really doubt that Iraq has WMD? Even after they admit having tons of them in the 90's, and
> can't produce any evidence they've destroyed them? Even after they order their front line troops
> to use them?
>
> I've got a bridge for sale you may be interested in... ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Oh I definitely believe that he has them. Now, what was that about a bridge then? ;-)
--
Westie

news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin wrote:
> > Mark Hickey stated the right position:
> >

> >>History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea. History will
> >>show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.
> >>
> >>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com

> >>Home of the $695 ti frame
> >

> > Well stated once again, Mark. And btw, you've got an open invitation for western hospitality if
> > you ever get out this way. The ID-AMB-Epic is shaping up quite nicely.
> >
> > Saddam violated the terms of the cease fire, and was given 12 years and 14 resolutions to remind
> > him and persuade him to keep his promises. The cease fire is over. The war HE STARTED is
> > resumed. It will be finished this time. 1+2=3. It is really that simple.
> >
> > Liberal, American hating peaceniks, don't even start in on me. You won't change me, and I won't
> > change you. Better men and women than you fought and died for your right to air your opinion. So
> > enjoy your freedom. You have the right to be wrong.
> >

> I did enjoy my freedom until it ended today. I'm not sure how Iraq's missiles which can't even
> reach Israel effected OUR freedom before. But now with the whole world at best barely tolerating
> us and at worst hating us those fascists in the cabinet will continue to erode civil liberty in
> the name of security. All so Mr Cheney's Halliburton can make a few billion dollars rebuilding
> Iraq this year. All so Bush Jr can redeem Bush Sr. All so hypocritical Kristians can feel good
> about killing the infidels. All so W doesn't have to drill for oil in Arctic. No wonder W let
> 9-11 happen.
>
> "...you can kill some of the people all the time and you can kill all of the people some of the
> time but you can't kill all of the people all of the time. When a whole population hates you
> fanatically, it's difficult to rule." - Margaret Atwood. We will never see freedom in this country
> again as long as there is an Iraqi, Muslim, or Arab alive.
>
> Goodby peace, goodby freedom, hello Armageddon, Greg

Fascinating stuff, Wow, Man! but tell me, where do you get your weed?

paladin now don't go getting all serious. you're entitled to your opinion, and i'll fight for your
right to say it, or to sell me some more flowers in an airport and bang your tambourine.

snip

> I think I can help with that one... Would you accept the word of the UN weapons inspectors? Here's
> a link to a summary of the findings:
>
> http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/arms/03031018.htm
>
> You really can't read it and still believe that there are no chemical and biological weapons in
> Iraq. So if you really want to be able to use the "there's no proof Saddam has WMD" argument you
> probably shouldn't hit that link.
>
> >If I believed that the post war situation will be one in which acts of terrorism will be less
> >likely to occur than they are now.
>
> We can either deal with chemical, biological and nuclear weapons proliferation and do our best to
> keep them out of the hands of terrorists, or we can simply sit back and wait to see what happens.
> I vote for the first option.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Your proof is a dept of state page?

Did you really think I wouldn't find that ridiculous? Its not suprising that the public feel it
necessary to "come together" during a crisis, but you don't have to become an unquestioning sap. You
are now living in a country where the public is moved to burn dixie chicks cd's because their
political agenda is deemed harmful.

get a grip. g

On 21/3/03 2:16 am, in article [email protected], "Mark Hickey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Greg, you gotta spend more time studying the issue. You saw what a couple ounces of anthrax did
>>> to the country. Imagine 8,500 liters sold to the highest bidder as one example of the threat.
>>
>> And where did that anthrax come from? Afghanistan? Iraq?? .... If you thought about the issue
>> you'd realise that Saddam isn't going to be selling anything to people who see him as an
>> "infidel".
>
> Osama bin Laden issued a statement to the effect of "he's an infidel, but at least he's an infidel
> who's opposed to the US so we should cooperate with him". I'm a little surprised that you think Al
> Qaeda or Saddam would be overly sensitive about dealings to the detriment of their common enemy.

Why? Do you imagine they have no motives other than killing corn-fed Merkin boys? The word is a bit
less one-dimensional than you seem to imagine!

>>> When that happens, you let us know so we can help you gloat. I find it curious that there would
>>> be any question about those being sent in to get Iraq back on it's feet having oil backgrounds.
>>> Let's see, what is Iraq's economy based on? Oil, maybe?
>>
>> Well obviously - there'd be no point in attacking somewhere that grows bananas if your pals
>> aren't fruit executives, would there? Iraq is in the firing line precisely BECAUSE Dubya and
>> cronies will fill their boots in the "reconstruction".
>
> So because Bush used to be attached to the oil industry, he should studiously avoid any issues
> dealing with any country that happens to produce oil? Like I keep saying - when you see that Bush
> and his team are getting rich over this, feel free to tell me "toldja so". Til they, I'll just
> assume it can't happen because of all the scrutiny (even if that was the plan, which I don't
> believe either).

Fine - when the ink is dry on the Halliburton contact you can formally tell us you were wrong.

>>> That's disgusting, Greg. It shows you have NO grasp on the reality of the situation. By the way,
>>> you might want to read a little history that doesn't come from sources that draw horns on GWB's
>>> photo. You might find that just about every military effort the US has made over the last 20
>>> years has been to AID Muslims. We helped the Afghan mujahadin during the Soviet invasion (one in
>>> particular doesn't seem to be too thankful) we liberated Kuwait after the Iraqi invasion in
>>> 1990, we helped the Somali Muslims in Mogadishu, helped the Muslims in Bosnia and Kosovo against
>>> the Serbs. We also liberated Afghanistan from the Taliban and Al Qaeda thugs.
>>
>> How absurd can you get? "Helping the mujihadeen" is a pro-Muslim act? Pull the other one! For
>> what it's worth, girls were being educated during the Soviet occupation. Helping the mujihadeen
>> was just a way to oppose the Soviets. In case you've forgotten, the Taliban were seen by the
>> Afghans as the least bad of a set of poor choices, and a way to end the civil war. Now the
>> Taliban have gone, what is happening in Afghanistan? Turning into Switzerland? I don't think so!
>> Doesn't make the news that much, does it? Any idea what's happening in Kosovo lately? Well, to
>> give you a clue there's a KLA leader on trial in The Hague just now - and it's not on traffic
>> violations.
>
> What, you DID expect them to turn into Switzerland? Those countries have seriously complex
> problems that aren't going to vanish overnight no matter what happens. But I do believe that the
> one chance they DO have is via democratic reforms. Eventually the majority do get it right.

Until the US steps in again to make sure that they "get it right" in the sense of supporting
American business and strategic interests. Face it - no

can get an education or medical care as long as the money is flowing in.

>> But if course you conveniently forget the biggest military effort made by the US which is the
>> arming and support of Israel - oppressor of Muslims par excellence. (Though I have to admit that
>> they are also quite busy oppressing Christians.)
>
> The first real step toward fixing the Palestine/Israel problem (it doesn't belong to either one
> alone) is for Palestine to lose the PLO. Hopefully the newly-appointed PM will start to pry the
> power out of Arafat's hands and reflect the will of the average Palestinian (who wants the same
> thing the average Israeli does - to live their lives without worrying about bombs in busses or
> bulldozers).

That's blaming the victim in a big way. The first thing that needs to happen is for Israel to start
obeying UN resolutions. The US wouldn't have to waste a single soldiers' life - all they have top do
is turn off the money tap.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 20/3/03 2:44 pm, in article [email protected], "Mark Hickey"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Those who opposed the action in the UN Security Council had lots of economic reasons to do so,
>>> but no moral reasons to do so IMHO. Saddam had failed miserably to live up to any of the 14 UN
>>> resolutions, and 12 years had gone by without any progress. Just how ineffective DOES the UN
>>> have to become before it relegates itself to irrelevance?
>>
>> How many UN resolutions has Israel respected? How many has the US vetoed?
>
> Sorry, I didn't realize Israel was in Iraq.

So only Iraqi resolutions count, or what?

> You know the issues in Israel, and you know it's an entirely different problem than the one in
> Iraq. You also know if they didn't have WMD they'd last about three minutes.

No - I don't know that. I know that on a daily basis they breach the fundamental norms of civilised
behaviour all without a peep from the US. I don't see how smearing **** on a primary school wall
contributes to their security.

> The real bottom line is that there are lots of Arab states that would like to retroactively veto
> one UN resolution - the one that created the Israeli homeland.

Possibly, but entirely irrelevant. If Israel had abided by the terms of UN resolutions past and
present there would be peace today.

J.

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:38:37 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Martees wrote:
> >>

> >> I don't agree that the world is against this
>
> Yeah. Ask the Dixie Chicks about that.

I guess that you'd a call that a "Marketing Blunder". Thank God I'm not a Yank - otherwise I'd be
obliged to burn any of their Cd's that I may have in my possession...phew!
--
Westie

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Westie wrote:

>> Yeah. Ask the Dixie Chicks about that.

> I guess that you'd a call that a "Marketing Blunder". Thank God I'm not a Yank - otherwise I'd be
> obliged to burn any of their Cd's that I may have in my possession...phew!

It's all denial. A lot of people here would like to believe that Bush isn't a double-talking
socio-pathic ******* & that we're all not infantile narcissistic dopes for going along with business
as usual plus plus. But, that's the reality. OTOH, there's millions of people here who are totally
against this fascism & call a spade a spade.

Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> How many UN resolutions has Israel respected? How many has the US vetoed?
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't realize Israel was in Iraq.
>
>So only Iraqi resolutions count, or what?

Of course not. But Israel has nothing to do with UN resolution 1441 (and previous resolutions
against Iraq), as much as you'd like to somehow muddy the waters.

>> You know the issues in Israel, and you know it's an entirely different problem than the one in
>> Iraq. You also know if they didn't have WMD they'd last about three minutes.
>
>No - I don't know that. I know that on a daily basis they breach the fundamental norms of civilised
>behaviour all without a peep from the US. I don't see how smearing **** on a primary school wall
>contributes to their security.

You aren't keeping up on events. First, it's hardly just the Israelis who are "breaching the
fundamental norms of civilised behaviour" (unless you consider blowing up busses full of civilians
civilised). And the Bush administration is a strong supporter of an independent Palestine (a new
state, since there never WAS a Palestine), and has asked Israel many times to end the construction
of the settlements.

>> The real bottom line is that there are lots of Arab states that would like to retroactively veto
>> one UN resolution - the one that created the Israeli homeland.
>
>Possibly, but entirely irrelevant. If Israel had abided by the terms of UN resolutions past and
>present there would be peace today.

You're living in denial if you believe that. Remember the reason they took the west bank and Gaza
was that Israel's neighbors were massing on her borders to totally destroy her. The only "peace"
that was going to occur was after the smoking hole that used to be Israel cooled off.

You probably look at that as a "war of aggression" on Israel's part - but it wasn't any more than if
Saddam had launched a blistering preemptive strike against the allied forces in the DMZ between Iraq
and Kuwait, then occupied it to prevent it being used for future aggression (not that THAT was very
likely - but the principle is the same).

[email protected] (gazzer) wrote:

>snip
>

>> I think I can help with that one... Would you accept the word of the UN weapons inspectors?
>> Here's a link to a summary of the findings:
>>
>> http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/arms/03031018.htm
>
>Your proof is a dept of state page?
>
>Did you really think I wouldn't find that ridiculous?

Did you really read it? It's not "Department of State" information, but simply a synopsis of the
findings of the UN weapons inspection reports put together by the DOS.

>Its not suprising that the public feel it necessary to "come together" during a crisis, but you
>don't have to become an unquestioning sap.

OK then, tell me one assertion in that report that isn't directly linked to the UN weapons
inspection reports. I used that link because it's a lot easier to wade through than the reams of UN
inspection report documents, and sums up the findings nicely.

>You are now living in a country where the public is moved to burn dixie chicks cd's because their
>political agenda is deemed harmful.

A percentage (hardly "the public") of people felt the remarks were disrespectful, and had every
right to trash the "chicks" if they felt like it. BTW, only the lead singer felt that way - I feel
sorry for the other "better musicians" in the group.

Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Osama bin Laden issued a statement to the effect of "he's an infidel, but at least he's an
>> infidel who's opposed to the US so we should cooperate with him". I'm a little surprised that you
>> think Al Qaeda or Saddam would be overly sensitive about dealings to the detriment of their
>> common enemy.
>
>Why? Do you imagine they have no motives other than killing corn-fed Merkin boys? The word is a bit
>less one-dimensional than you seem to imagine!

Sure they have other targets. Should that make us feel better about being on the list? Your logic
escapes me.

>> So because Bush used to be attached to the oil industry, he should studiously avoid any issues
>> dealing with any country that happens to produce oil? Like I keep saying - when you see that Bush
>> and his team are getting rich over this, feel free to tell me "toldja so". Til they, I'll just
>> assume it can't happen because of all the scrutiny (even if that was the plan, which I don't
>> believe either).
>
>Fine - when the ink is dry on the Halliburton contact you can formally tell us you were wrong.

Remind me when it happens, OK? In the mean time you can remain as paranoid about this as
you like. ;-)

>> What, you DID expect them to turn into Switzerland? Those countries have seriously complex
>> problems that aren't going to vanish overnight no matter what happens. But I do believe that the
>> one chance they DO have is via democratic reforms. Eventually the majority do get it right.
>
>Until the US steps in again to make sure that they "get it right" in the sense of supporting
>American business and strategic interests. Face it - no

>can get an education or medical care as long as the money is flowing in.

That's not at ALL true, even if you examine only the self-serving interests of the US. An educated,
peaceful population in a democratic society is NOT a threat to the interests of the US and the west.
A starving, uneducated and downtrodden society that can be convinced the USA is behind their
misfortune IS.

>> The first real step toward fixing the Palestine/Israel problem (it doesn't belong to either one
>> alone) is for Palestine to lose the PLO. Hopefully the newly-appointed PM will start to pry the
>> power out of Arafat's hands and reflect the will of the average Palestinian (who wants the same
>> thing the average Israeli does - to live their lives without worrying about bombs in busses or
>> bulldozers).
>
>That's blaming the victim in a big way. The first thing that needs to happen is for Israel to start
>obeying UN resolutions. The US wouldn't have to waste a single soldiers' life - all they have top
>do is turn off the money tap.

I know you have forgotten the reason Israel had to move into the west bank and Gaza. If they hadn't,
there wouldn't be an Israel today. And don't forget that Arafat was offered MUCH more than should
have been necessary to end the hostilities, and he walked away. The PLO doesn't want peace, and will
continue the bloodshed (which will be returned) until a democratic government replaces the PLO. Make
no mistake, it's gonna happen soon.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

> >> If by "freedom" you mean the administration not carrying out the will of over 70% of the
> >> citizens, sure.
> >
> >LOL! When you get your opinions from someone other than Rush, come back.
> >
> >[remainder of Bush-ass-kissing apology snipped]
>
> Couldn't refute it, huh? ;-)

What's to refute? White House propaganda is just that. The first casualty of war and all that...

> Sorry to break it to you, but as of a few days ago, 71% of Americans supported using force to
> disarm and remove Saddam from power.

Heh. 40% think that Iraq had something to do with 9/11. Some folks are suckers, and believe
everything Rush tells them to. And how the question is worded makes all the difference in the world,
as had been pointed out previously in this ng.

Are you pulling a Vandespam and picking the data that suits your position?

LOL.

Spider

On 21/3/03 3:04 pm, in article [email protected], "Mark Hickey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Sorry, I didn't realize Israel was in Iraq.
>>
>> So only Iraqi resolutions count, or what?
>
> Of course not. But Israel has nothing to do with UN resolution 1441 (and previous resolutions
> against Iraq), as much as you'd like to somehow muddy the waters.

No - but the point is that the US only gets its knickers in a twist when certain resolutions are
followed, but is quite happy to veto or ignore others.

>>> You know the issues in Israel, and you know it's an entirely different problem than the one in
>>> Iraq. You also know if they didn't have WMD they'd last about three minutes.
>>
>> No - I don't know that. I know that on a daily basis they breach the fundamental norms of
>> civilised behaviour all without a peep from the US. I don't see how smearing **** on a primary
>> school wall contributes to their security.
>
> You aren't keeping up on events. First, it's hardly just the Israelis who are "breaching the
> fundamental norms of civilised behaviour" (unless you consider blowing up busses full of civilians
> civilised).

Doesn't alter the fact that Israelis are killing children, does it?

> And the Bush administration is a strong supporter of an independent Palestine (a new state, since
> there never WAS a Palestine), and has asked Israel many times to end the construction of the
> settlements.

Hahahahahahaha - if the US was serious about ending settlements and creating a Palestinian state it
could happen tomorrow. The fact is that as soon as the dust settles on Iraq the "road map" will
disappear just as fast as Bush Snr's promises did last time around.

J.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:59:57 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>
>>>Secondly, what is this thing about training terrorists in Iraq? I keep fairly well informed about
>>>these sorts of things and have heard nothing of the sort (at least, not from reputable sources).
>>>Is this some kind of 'news' that's broadcast repeatedly on CNN? Have any of you Yanks actually
>>>investigated this?
>>

>> I haven't personally, you?
>
>Yes.

Hans, is that you?

>Run a google search, there's plenty of
>> links too all the articles written on the subject of training camps in Saddams world...
>
>No there's not. I'm asking you to back up your argument, and you're not.

Do a search of Ansar al-Islam, then get back with us. Granted Iran has assisted more Al Qaedas
members fleeing Afganiztan than Iraq, there can be no doubt al-Islam is an Al Qaeda based group,
that has operated in the Northeastern portion of Iraq with the benefit of Saddams intelligence
(oxymoron) network. Also some experts say that Saddams own terror training camp, Salman Pak, has
played host to various members of Al Qaeda.

We should roll right on through Iran while we are there. We are already raising the stars & stripes
over several Iraq cities. Besides we still owe them for the hostage crises back in the 80's.

>>>See above. Some proof of this link rather than regurgitating propoganda would be nice.

See above.

>> Are you French?
>
>Great argument Dave. Can't have a proper debate, bring in racist overtones.

Considering Chirac's recent actions, I wouldn't want to be associated with the French right about
now. Sorry. What's that guy hiding?

>>>You should go and read resolution 1441. It pertains to increased inspections - it most certainly
>>>isn't a warrant for the US/UK to invade.

Thanks for the link. I have.

>Resolution 1441 still doesn't give the US/UK authority to invade.

>>>Then you are naive.
>>

>> No see, I think you are for thinking our toppiling of the sadistic regime is somehow wrong.
>
>You're not arguing on the same point. I don't see that the 'toppling of the saddistic regime is
>wrong'. I just think that it's being done in the wrong way and is likely to lead to further
>consequences.

This is greatly evident today. The **** is hitting the fan. I just heard Jordan may have fired
missles toward Isreal. 8 B52's just took off from southern England, destination unknown. Who
freakin knows.

>> O.K so I got the number wrong, big freaking deal. All member nations signed it, including your
>> beloved French, Germans, and Russians. It's time to enforce it Bomba, get over it.
>
>No section of 1441 authorised the use of force. That is why the second resolution was required.

Gotcha. Thanks.

>I'm sure I'll be fine - I live in a country that opposed this war. Let's just hope that they don't
>stray to the UK or US. Although I'm not entirely convinced...

Given the current situation and you're proximity to it, I would not be as comfortable as you
my friend.

Dave (keep your head down!)

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Osama bin Laden issued a statement to the effect of "he's an infidel, but at least he's an
>>> infidel who's opposed to the US so we should cooperate with him". I'm a little surprised that
>>> you think Al Qaeda or Saddam would be overly sensitive about dealings to the detriment of their
>>> common enemy.
>>
>> Why? Do you imagine they have no motives other than killing corn-fed Merkin boys? The word is a
>> bit less one-dimensional than you seem to imagine!
>
> Sure they have other targets. Should that make us feel better about being on the list? Your logic
> escapes me.

The logic is simple - their religious priorities may well preclude them from pursuing others on the
list in the way you describe.

>>> So because Bush used to be attached to the oil industry, he should studiously avoid any issues
>>> dealing with any country that happens to produce oil? Like I keep saying - when you see that
>>> Bush and his team are getting rich over this, feel free to tell me "toldja so". Til they, I'll
>>> just assume it can't happen because of all the scrutiny (even if that was the plan, which I
>>> don't believe either).
>>
>> Fine - when the ink is dry on the Halliburton contact you can formally tell us you were wrong.
>
> Remind me when it happens, OK? In the mean time you can remain as paranoid about this as you
> like. ;-)

I'll remind you, don't worry.

>>> What, you DID expect them to turn into Switzerland? Those countries have seriously complex
>>> problems that aren't going to vanish overnight no matter what happens. But I do believe that the
>>> one chance they DO have is via democratic reforms. Eventually the majority do get it right.
>>
>> Until the US steps in again to make sure that they "get it right" in the sense of supporting
>> American business and strategic interests. Face it - no

>> can get an education or medical care as long as the money is flowing in.
>
> That's not at ALL true, even if you examine only the self-serving interests of the US. An
> educated, peaceful population in a democratic society is NOT a threat to the interests of the US
> and the west.

Evidently it is - hence the vilification of France, and the useful complicity of West African
countries.

>A starving, uneducated and downtrodden society that can be convinced the USA is behind their
>misfortune IS.

Hence the need for lots of military. Serving a useful secondary function as a means to subsidise the
US aircraft industry and funnel pork barrel projects to the most populous state.

>>> The first real step toward fixing the Palestine/Israel problem (it doesn't belong to either one
>>> alone) is for Palestine to lose the PLO. Hopefully the newly-appointed PM will start to pry the
>>> power out of Arafat's hands and reflect the will of the average Palestinian (who wants the same
>>> thing the average Israeli does - to live their lives without worrying about bombs in busses or
>>> bulldozers).
>>
>> That's blaming the victim in a big way. The first thing that needs to happen is for Israel to
>> start obeying UN resolutions. The US wouldn't have to waste a single soldiers' life - all they
>> have top do is turn off the money tap.
>
> I know you have forgotten the reason Israel had to move into the west bank and Gaza. If they
> hadn't, there wouldn't be an Israel today.

Eh? What are you on about?

> And don't forget that Arafat was offered MUCH more than should have been necessary to end the
> hostilities, and he walked away.

So far from the truth it ain't even funny. The PLO already offered 78% of historic palestine. The
Israelis want the lot.

The PLO
> doesn't want peace, and will continue the bloodshed (which will be returned) until a democratic
> government replaces the PLO. Make no mistake, it's gonna happen soon.

I'm sure it will - there's a limit to how long a defenceless civilian population can resist a
mechanised army backed by a superpower. Eventually they'll settle for anything.

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 02:16:21 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On 20/3/03 2:44 pm, in article [email protected], "Mark Hickey"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Those who opposed the action in the UN Security Council had lots of economic reasons to do so,
>>> but no moral reasons to do so IMHO. Saddam had failed miserably to live up to any of the 14 UN
>>> resolutions, and 12 years had gone by without any progress. Just how ineffective DOES the UN
>>> have to become before it relegates itself to irrelevance?
>>
>>How many UN resolutions has Israel respected? How many has the US vetoed?
>
>Sorry, I didn't realize Israel was in Iraq.
>
>You know the issues in Israel, and you know it's an entirely different problem than the one in
>Iraq. You also know if they didn't have WMD they'd last about three minutes.
>
>The real bottom line is that there are lots of Arab states that would like to retroactively veto
>one UN resolution - the one that created the Israeli homeland.
>
>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

This is the real bottom line. No doubt about it.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:44:49 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>Serbs. We also liberated Afghanistan from the Taliban and Al Qaeda thugs.
>
>Every Christian I know is praying that loss of life on both sides will be minimal.
>
>> All so W doesn't have to drill for oil in Arctic. No wonder W let 9-11 happen.
>
>In a war situation, you have hawks and doves, and then you have what I'll call gulls. That's short
>for "gullible". ;-)
>
>>We will never see freedom in this country again as long as there is an Iraqi, Muslim, or
>>Arab alive.
>
>I'm sorry you think so (or think anyone else thinks so - it's not clear what you're trying to say).
>
>>Goodby peace, goodby freedom, hello Armageddon,
>
>Hey, deja vu. Wasn't that the lament before the first gulf war? Wasn't that the lament before we
>went into Afghanistan? Did I miss "Armageddon" the first time (or was it just the goofy Bruce

Mark Hickey for President-Ti frames for all!!!!

Dave

Dave W wrote:

> Do a search of Ansar al-Islam, then get back with us. Granted Iran has assisted more Al Qaedas
> members fleeing Afganiztan than Iraq, there can be no doubt al-Islam is an Al Qaeda based group,
> that has operated in the Northeastern portion of Iraq

Would that be the north-eastern part of Iraq that has been outside of Hussein's control for
years and is now patrolled by the US. Perhaps you should declare war on yourselves for allowing
this to happen!

with the benefit of Saddams
> intelligence (oxymoron) network. Also some experts say that Saddams own terror training camp,
> Salman Pak, has played host to various members of Al Qaeda.
>
> We should roll right on through Iran while we are there.

Look, just because you lost the footie to them in France '98 (along with that fantastic attempt to
play the Iranians off-side whilst inside your own half!), there's no need to declare war on them.

We are
> already raising the stars & stripes over several Iraq cities. Besides we still owe them for the
> hostage crises back in the 80's.

Hell, you've ****** off most of the world already, what's another few countries and another few
thousand dead?

> Considering Chirac's recent actions, I wouldn't want to be associated with the French right about
> now. Sorry. What's that guy hiding?

A conscience?

>>You're not arguing on the same point. I don't see that the 'toppling of the saddistic regime is
>>wrong'. I just think that it's being done in the wrong way and is likely to lead to further
>>consequences.
>

> This is greatly evident today. The **** is hitting the fan. I just heard Jordan may have fired
> missles toward Isreal. 8 B52's just took off from southern England, destination unknown. Who
> freakin knows.

I think the US / UK have embarked on a conflict that may extend much further than either country
ever imagined...

>>I'm sure I'll be fine - I live in a country that opposed this war. Let's just hope that they don't
>>stray to the UK or US. Although I'm not entirely convinced...
>

> Given the current situation and you're proximity to it, I would not be as comfortable as you
> my friend.

Well, I'm currently residing in a country that opposed war against Iraq and has a large
Turkish population. I consider myself a lot safer than if I were living in a large
metropolitan area in the US.

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey for President-Ti frames for all!!!!

Heh heh heh... might even get GT to vote for me if I promised him a nice new ti frame. ;-)

Thing is, I'm not too smart - but I'm smart enough to not want THAT job!

OTOH, if I was president, I could drill in Alaska just to ******** MV. Might be worth it!

Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Of course not. But Israel has nothing to do with UN resolution 1441 (and previous resolutions
>> against Iraq), as much as you'd like to somehow muddy the waters.
>
>No - but the point is that the US only gets its knickers in a twist when certain resolutions are
>followed, but is quite happy to veto or ignore others.

Others are perfectly happy that Iraq ignores 14 UN resolutions over 12 years, but get their knickers
in a twist because Bush and Blair interpret "serious consequences" in the UN resolution 1441
unaniously passed by the Security Council to mean "serious consequences". Go figure.

>> You aren't keeping up on events. First, it's hardly just the Israelis who are "breaching the
>> fundamental norms of civilised behaviour" (unless you consider blowing up busses full of
>> civilians civilised).
>
>Doesn't alter the fact that Israelis are killing children, does it?

Doesn't alter the fact that a lot of Palestinian gunmen are using them for cover, does it? When I
see film of little Palestinian children wearing masks and carrying guns I despair for the region.

You won't deny that the Palestinians are TARGETING children, will you?

Both sides are dirty in this thing, period. But it still has nothing to do with Iraq (as much as
Saddam would like the Arab street to think it does).

>> And the Bush administration is a strong supporter of an independent Palestine (a new state, since
>> there never WAS a Palestine), and has asked Israel many times to end the construction of the
>> settlements.
>
>Hahahahahahaha - if the US was serious about ending settlements and creating a Palestinian state it
>could happen tomorrow. The fact is that as soon as the dust settles on Iraq the "road map" will
>disappear just as fast as Bush Snr's promises did last time around.

Remind me if it really happens this way, and I'll let you gloat over my hopeless optimism. I hope
you're very, very wrong (and believe you are).