OT, (like it matters) How long will the war last.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Everyone loves to ***** about the cops, but I suspect would soon change their tune if the cops all
>walked off the job.

Indeed. But by the same token, when the cops act like bullies and thugs, they get fragged.

Teddy Roosevelt said "Walk softly and carry a big stick." Good advice for a cop. George Bush is
saying "I'm the biggest SOB in the Valley, so it's my way or the highway." Great way to influence
others, keep allies and prevent resentment. And "Christian" too, right Mark?

--dt

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> In this world the "enemy" is spread throughout your own population and will use the most deadly
> >> weapons it can get its hands on. They'll strike without warning and without remorse. I firmly
> >> believe we have to make every effort to prevent WMD from proliferating to keep them out of the
> >> hands of those who would use them on civilian populations in the US and other countries.
> >
> >Well, that's a lovely attitude. Let's just kick ass on everyone who might have reason to use WMD
> >on the U.S., or anyone connected to them. Sounds like we're gonna need to scale back that tax cut
> >so we can wage war on a global scale.
>
> Either we try to control the development and proliferation of WMD by making it politically
> unprofitable to produce them, or we resign ourselves to a world when every fringe group in the
> world can make a statement at a horrific cost in human life.

More false choices. I never get tired of conservatives creating these sorts of "either/or"
comparisons, and ignoring any other possible solutions. Frankly, we have stamped our "okey-dokey" on
Pakistan's WMD programs. While consistency might be the hobgoblin of the narrow mind, when you start
talking about "moral duty," consistency is paramount. Especially if morality is absolute.

> But I'm open to suggestion... what would YOU do to control the spread of WMD?

Why should I have to supply a solution? My solution against the U.S. being attacked would be to try
and be even-handed and consistent in our actions around the globe. While it may cost us more in the
short term, that's the high price of occupying the moral high ground. There ain't no free lunch.

> >> I also wish it weren't so, and that we had the luxury of waiting for an impending attack (or
> >> more accurately, another attack).
> >
> >We do have that luxury. It's the price of occupying the moral high ground. Part of the price we
> >pay for being agents of freedom in this world. Freedom isn't free, Mark.
>
> Maybe you would rather wait for a VX attack on LA or anthrax in Chicago or a dirty bomb in the
> financial district of NYC. I vote that we don't.

How about we do a better job of policing our borders? If we work hard to prevent things at home, we
won't have to go abroad to smack down all the dictatorships that may or may not support terrorists.
Or have oil. Or have "unfinished business" with members of whatever Aministration official.

> >> I won't be awfully surprised if we don't find a lot of direct linkages in the clean up. Saddam
> >> is linked closely enough with terrorism via the payments to families of suicide bombers to
> >> satisfy the "can't be trusted with WMD" test in my book, even if nothing else is turned up.
> >
> >That's a huge stretch to connect the dots. Those payments could be to curry favor amongst other
> >islamic nations - Saddam is not well-liked, you know. In any case, he's not directly supporting
> >terror that way.
>
> I think trying to say Saddam isn't directly supporting suicide bombers by sending huge amounts of
> money to their families is the "stretch".

He isn't. Training? Nope. Explosives? Nope. Personnel? Nope. That about covers direct support.

In any case, those folks aren't blowing up American targets.

> I guess we agree to disagree on that one.

You see what you want to, which is nice, but doesn't shed light on the truth of the matter.

> >> I don't deny that there are some intimations to that effect.
> >
> >Nice spin. They have been pushing it hard, no "intimations" about it.
>
> I disagree - but don't deny that's how a lot of people are interpreting it.

That "interpretation" plays right into the Administration's hands. Gosh, how convenient. In
addition, they are calling this an additional front on the "war on terror." I guess the Marines will
land in the West Bank soon to clean up that nasty terrorist mess, hmmm?

> >> True enough. Other polls indicated that a good number of that 71% would have preferred to wait
> >> at least a while longer.
> >
> >I would have liked to have seen a careful discussion of the trade-offs of pissing off our allies
> >and possibly fanning the flames of fundementalism. But the only way Dubya could have gotten
> >Congressional authorization is to do it when he did. Nice bit of politicking, that.
>
> Again, I disagree. A lot of Democrats are firmly behind the effort.

I guess you have to be a super-genius to see that if you *don't* support the war, you will be cast
as a traitor by conservatives.

If George would have gone back after the election to ask for a war declaration, I wonder if he would
have gotten anywhere near the votes...

Speculation, pure and simple.

> >> Thing is, no matter what happened, it was going to take a war to disarm Saddam, and I think
> >> most people knew that and though they might choose to wait a bit, they're anxious to just get
> >> on with it once it starts.
> >
> >Assuming facts not in evidence. We really don't know what it would have taken to try and disarm
> >Iraq through peaceful means, because it was never seriously attempted.
>
> Oh, come on! 12 years and 14 UN resolutions isn't "seriously attempted"????

You keep trying to reinvent history here. UN resolutions carry very little weight. We both know it.
For the vast majority of those twelve years, it was just hide and seek, and the issue was completely
on the back burner. NOBODY CARED. Saying otherwise is a lie, and we both know it.

> Massing a quarter million troops around Iraq and asking that he FINALLY comply with the UN
> resolution to produce his WMD or evidence of their destruction, and THAT isn't enough?

That certainly helped things along. But there's a difference between posing a threat and actually
carrying it out. I will count 4 months of diplomacy and the rest of the time as "holding pattern."

> >> What I'm discerning is that those countries with lucrative commercial connections to Iraq (and
> >> in some cases, those who have been selling Iraq weapons) were the ones opposed to disarming
> >> Saddam with force. I think that's the true "cause and effect" that applies to the UN debate
> >> about Iraq.
> >
> >Maybe America's stance on the issue drove them to the hard line - you can't know. If the U.S.
> >would have guaranteed those contracts, then where would the problem be? It looks fishier by the
> >second. Oddly, it seems that Halliburton is going to get a big, fat rebuilding contract. Odd,
> >dontcha think?
>
> Not really. Halliburton has a long history of similar contracts for the government, dating back
> long before Chaney. It's what they do - no big surprise if they do manage to get some of the
> rebuilding work. I believe they're #2 in the country for that kind of work.

But first, you need to have a war. Cause and effect, again.

> >> There has been a lot of dancing around the weapons issues, and all the major players (US
> >> included) are dirty, selling weapons to countries that really shouldn't have them. We all play
> >> politics at the UN level though and pretend it's not happening. I'm hoping this will be a wake
> >> up call for the world to get it's collective act together and put a HARD ban on equipping
> >> knuckleheads like Saddam in any way. That would eliminate a lot of the politics at the Security
> >> Council level, since the major players (US, UK, France, China, Russia) wouldn't have so much
> >> skin in the game.
> >
> >Even more indictment of the way the U.S. has gone about things. Still, playing the Vandespam
> >card of picking your polling data is pretty amusing. You don't believe that AQ and Iraq had
> >many direct links, yet 40% of the U.S. does. You ignore that in order to trumpet the war
> >support polls.
>
> Remember that works both ways - a lot of people don't understand the history of UN findings and
> Iraqi admissions about how many WMD stores they possess. They don't understand the UN
> resolutions called for Iraq to give it all up - not just to allow a bunch of inspectors in on a
> scavenger hunt.

But they might, if the Administration had been straightforward from the beginning, and not tried to
hunt around for reasoning that happened to stick. You get people to agree with you because your
position is strong, not because you make a call, then hunt for reasons after the fact. That's the
price of leadership, and anyone who has been in a leadership position understands that.

> >I am glad that the Iraqi people will now be able to govern themselves, and that Saddam will no
> >longer kill for fun - that one fewer places on the planet will be a place where WMD are there for
> >the taking. Not that some general might see dollar signs and cashes in before the Army cashes him
> >out, of course. Pursuing the war in this way was a mistake, because the ends do not justify the
> >means. Never has it been thus, in a moral sense. *HOW* you go about a task makes all the
> >difference.
>
> If you have the choice, I agree.

The choice is always there. Sometimes the choice is hard, but it is always there. Taking the moral
road is never the easy road - you should know that.

> >Sadly, we will see what crop we reap from the seeds sown this Spring.
>
> I predict this will force action on the WMD issue though - truly a good outcome. When we find the
> WMD in Iraq and the world starts to understand the magnitude of the risk it's under (collectively,
> not just the US) I'm hoping citizens demand a more "Bush-like response" from their diplomats.
> Either we deal with the problem, or it's going to get VERY ugly.

Again, assuming (a huge assumption) that governments will just give up these expensive "toys" to
anyone who shows interest in deploying them. When you have big-boy toys, you don't give them to just
whomever, because then you are making the big-boy club bigger, and your own position smaller. This
tenuous reasoning is the foundation for the moral argument, and just plain sucks as a firm platform
to base war on. Completely unlike being attacked first.

Spider

> Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

>> Saddam is linked closely enough with terrorism via the payments to families of suicide bombers to
>> satisfy the "can't be trusted with WMD" test in my book, even if nothing else is turned up.

I think the Red Cross have probably housed the families of suicide bombers whose houses were blown
up by the glorious IDF - maybe THEY are "linked with terrorism" too?

J.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Paladin says:
> >
> > >Liberal, American hating peaceniks, don't even start in on me.
> >
> > Please, PLEASE, Oh Exalted One, explain to us poor iggerant feckers how "Peacenik" = "American
> > Hating". I could never figure that one out.
>
> Or even why the term 'liberal' is always bandied about when people express their dissatisfaction
> at military actions.
>
> It seems to be a favourite right wing rant in the US. Hell, how many times to you hear the right
> wingers ranting about 'PC liberal ****'? Well, I'm anti PC, anti-WAR and pro-PEACE - how would
> they reconcile that? ',;~}
>
> > Steve confused in RI
>
> You'd be equally confused wherever you were Steve ',;~P```````
>

> Shaun aRe

You're just special, and that'w why I love you so much.

Paladin I dare you to defy more stereotypes than I do! Ha.

BB <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:07:54 GMT, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> Wrong. Iraq violated the terms of the cease fire they signed in '91 to end the hostilities. They
>> resumed. This isn't a "new war", it's a continuation of the old one.
>
>The ceasefire wasn't just some agreement signed on a napkin that both sides will stop until someone
>feel like starting again. It was clear about when the UN is allowed to use force: if Iraq invades
>Kuwait again. It was unclear about the use of force as part of non-compliance ("serious
>consequences"), so it can be argued that the UN has authority to take military action. But the UN
>certainly never delegated its authority to any coalition.

I'd say that what's happening now constitute "serious consequences".

>Thus normal rules apply.

That would be "the US does most of the fighting, but we don't want them actually deciding who
to fight"?

[email protected] (Spider) wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Either we try to control the development and proliferation of WMD by making it politically
>> unprofitable to produce them, or we resign ourselves to a world when every fringe group in the
>> world can make a statement at a horrific cost in human life.
>
>More false choices. I never get tired of conservatives creating these sorts of "either/or"
>comparisons, and ignoring any other possible solutions. Frankly, we have stamped our "okey-dokey"
>on Pakistan's WMD programs. While consistency might be the hobgoblin of the narrow mind, when you
>start talking about "moral duty," consistency is paramount. Especially if morality is absolute.

OK - so you're saying that we have no reason to want to limit the spread of WMD. We've supported
regimes that have turned out to be bad guys, so we shouldn't bother trying to ever suggest any other
nation takes any particular course in the future. I love your logic.

>> But I'm open to suggestion... what would YOU do to control the spread of WMD?
>
>Why should I have to supply a solution? My solution against the U.S. being attacked would be to try
>and be even-handed and consistent in our actions around the globe. While it may cost us more in the
>short term, that's the high price of occupying the moral high ground. There ain't no free lunch.

Oh yeah, THAT has worked in the past. Appeasement is always a great idea - ask Poland. Ask France.
Oops, no don't do that.

>> Maybe you would rather wait for a VX attack on LA or anthrax in Chicago or a dirty bomb in the
>> financial district of NYC. I vote that we don't.
>
>How about we do a better job of policing our borders? If we work hard to prevent things at home, we
>won't have to go abroad to smack down all the dictatorships that may or may not support terrorists.
>Or have oil. Or have "unfinished business" with members of whatever Aministration official.

You really think we can stop shipments of chemicals and toxins that can kill thousands per the
ounce? Not unless we turn our entire military into customs inspectors and deconstruct every shipment
coming in (and every suitcase coming in) to its base components (disassemble cars, things like
that). OR you can target those who want to build the facilities to product the stuff. I know which
one sounds more reasonable to me - YMMV.

>> I think trying to say Saddam isn't directly supporting suicide bombers by sending huge amounts of
>> money to their families is the "stretch".
>
>He isn't. Training? Nope. Explosives? Nope. Personnel? Nope. That about covers direct support.

Uh huh. And those misguided folks sending in money for the IRA weren't supporting terrorism either,
right? Stand by for more news on training facilities... (not from me, from our folks in Iraq).

>In any case, those folks aren't blowing up American targets.

I'm not really worried about them "blowing up" things. But I am worried about them possessing
weapons that kill thousands to the ounce.

>> I guess we agree to disagree on that one.
>
>You see what you want to, which is nice, but doesn't shed light on the truth of the matter.

Seems to be a common affliction. ;-)

>> Again, I disagree. A lot of Democrats are firmly behind the effort.
>
>I guess you have to be a super-genius to see that if you *don't* support the war, you will be cast
>as a traitor by conservatives.

Like the Dems care what the "conservatives" think of them? No, the problem is you get cast as a
traitor by the VOTERS. Big difference. I heard today support for the war is at 77% in the US and has
reached majorities in the UK and in Oz. It's only going to go up.

>> Oh, come on! 12 years and 14 UN resolutions isn't "seriously attempted"????
>
>You keep trying to reinvent history here. UN resolutions carry very little weight. We both know it.
>For the vast majority of those twelve years, it was just hide and seek, and the issue was
>completely on the back burner. NOBODY CARED. Saying otherwise is a lie, and we both know it.

You don't support using force against Iraq, and now you say that UN resolutions don't count. Ain't
leaving a lot of options there, are you? "UN resolutions carry very little weight" so why should we
worry about whether we have one or not to go stomp Saddam into a little greasy spot?

>> Massing a quarter million troops around Iraq and asking that he FINALLY comply with the UN
>> resolution to produce his WMD or evidence of their destruction, and THAT isn't enough?
>
>That certainly helped things along. But there's a difference between posing a threat and actually
>carrying it out. I will count 4 months of diplomacy and the rest of the time as "holding pattern."

Sigh... Interpolate the amount of "progress" against the cost of keeping 300,000 troops in place
and it would be the grandchildren of the troops over there now who would preside over the handover
of the final liter of anthrax! Besides, Saddam could have complied in ONE DAY. I don't see how it
could be any more obvious he was never going to do so - but you can believe it against all evidence
if you like. ;-)

>> Not really. Halliburton has a long history of similar contracts for the government, dating back
>> long before Chaney. It's what they do - no big surprise if they do manage to get some of the
>> rebuilding work. I believe they're #2 in the country for that kind of work.
>
>But first, you need to have a war. Cause and effect, again.

Sigh... We don't have Cynthia McKinney any more, but you're stepping in to fill the void it seems.

>> Remember that works both ways - a lot of people don't understand the history of UN findings and
>> Iraqi admissions about how many WMD stores they possess. They don't understand the UN
>> resolutions called for Iraq to give it all up - not just to allow a bunch of inspectors in on a
>> scavenger hunt.
>
>But they might, if the Administration had been straightforward from the beginning, and not tried to
>hunt around for reasoning that happened to stick. You get people to agree with you because your
>position is strong, not because you make a call, then hunt for reasons after the fact. That's the
>price of leadership, and anyone who has been in a leadership position understands that.

The problem isn't that the US citizens haven't heard about what's really going on - it's that they
tend to have the attention span of a summer gnat. I can't see how anyone could have watched Colin
Powell's presentation to the UN and not understood what I speak about above.

>> >*HOW* you go about a task makes all the difference.
>>
>> If you have the choice, I agree.
>
>The choice is always there. Sometimes the choice is hard, but it is always there. Taking the moral
>road is never the easy road - you should know that.

Here's where we have to agree to disagree. I think Bush took the moral road, and that the UN
has sold its soul to the almighty dollar (or Franc if you prefer). History will prove which of
us is right.

>> I predict this will force action on the WMD issue though - truly a good outcome. When we find the
>> WMD in Iraq and the world starts to understand the magnitude of the risk it's under
>> (collectively, not just the US) I'm hoping citizens demand a more "Bush-like response" from their
>> diplomats. Either we deal with the problem, or it's going to get VERY ugly.
>
>Again, assuming (a huge assumption) that governments will just give up these expensive "toys" to
>anyone who shows interest in deploying them. When you have big-boy toys, you don't give them to
>just whomever, because then you are making the big-boy club bigger, and your own position smaller.
>This tenuous reasoning is the foundation for the moral argument, and just plain sucks as a firm
>platform to base war on. Completely unlike being attacked first.

Assuming Arab states and groups openly hostile to the US wouldn't be willing to sell / share
chemical and biological weapons to be used on a common enemy sounds like a pretty dangerous bet,
IMHO. I'd rather not wait to "be attacked first", personally.

Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote...
>
>>> Saddam is linked closely enough with terrorism via the payments to families of suicide bombers
>>> to satisfy the "can't be trusted with WMD" test in my book, even if nothing else is turned up.
>
>I think the Red Cross have probably housed the families of suicide bombers whose houses were blown
>up by the glorious IDF - maybe THEY are "linked with terrorism" too?

If you can't differentiate between a $25,000 bounty and humanitarian aid, you probably wouldn't
notice the difference between a pound of chocolate and a pound of VX. Be careful what you eat.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>The point is, that they're the most pro-active in meddling in the affairs of oil-producing nations
>to suit their own means.

I suspect the best interests of the US line up pretty well with the best interests of the rest of
the world. We all draw out of the same pool of oil - if that pool stops producing, we all suffer.

>sure, we use more of it than anyone else (something
>> I'd like to see changed), but try to picture what happens if we weren't there to stand up to Iraq
>> in '91 and Saddam had by now taken control of the bulk of the oil production in the middle east
>> and decided to hijack the world's economy.
>
>I think your hypothetical situation is rather extreme. Even with control of Kuwait, Hussein would
>not have had 'the bulk of oil production in the middle east' (only ~25%) and he would still have
>been tied to OPEC. You could argue that he could have left OPEC, but ultimately OPEC is a cartel
>and a split would undermine the bargaining power of both.

Saddam's stated aims include a lot more than just Kuwait - he literally wants to control the region
(don't forget he unsuccessfully tried to invade Iran). He really wouldn't have to control all that
much of the supply to catastrophically impact the world's economy by manipulating the oil supply. If
he had nukes, he just might be able to pull it off. Eeeek.

Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

>Teddy Roosevelt said "Walk softly and carry a big stick." Good advice for a cop. George Bush is
>saying "I'm the biggest SOB in the Valley, so it's my way or the highway." Great way to influence
>others, keep allies and prevent resentment. And "Christian" too, right Mark?

There does come a point when you have to say "the process that's in place isn't working". I tend to
agree that we had reached that point, as do a lot of others. At that point the easy thing to do is
shrug your shoulders and retreat to the sidelines and blame it all on someone else when it all goes
to hell. The tough thing to do is to "do the right thing".

And yeah, I do believe that the only way to get the UN out of the "paralysis by analysis mode" is to
push them into it by demonsting just what it was they were "protecting" and by exposing the rotten
core of the UN Security Council. We (as a planet) deserve better protection from that organization.

And to push the cop analogy a bit more - I'd suggest that if your local cops were as ineffective at
dealing with dangerous criminals as the UN has been for the last 12 years, you'd be looking for a
new chief of police.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey wrote:

> And yeah, I do believe that the only way to get the UN out of the "paralysis by analysis mode" is
> to push them into it by demonsting just what it was they were "protecting" and by exposing the
> rotten core of the UN Security Council. We (as a planet) deserve better protection from that
> organization.

Being that government violated the basic UN charter (far worse than Saddam's violation of a
resolution), I seriously HOPE the UN Security Council remains paralized.

BB

Mark Hickey wrote:

>>The point is, that they're the most pro-active in meddling in the affairs of oil-producing nations
>>to suit their own means.
>

> I suspect the best interests of the US line up pretty well with the best interests of the rest of
> the world.

So funding and arming saddistic dictatorial regimes is justified, so long as the world gets oil?

We all draw out of the same
> pool of oil - if that pool stops producing, we all suffer.

If the pool stops producing, the owners of the pool lose out too. The problem is that the US
likes to manipulate these countries not for the greater benefit of mankind, but for their own
economic benefits.

> Saddam's stated aims include a lot more than just Kuwait - he literally wants to control the
> region (don't forget he unsuccessfully tried to invade Iran). He really wouldn't have to control
> all that much of the supply to catastrophically impact the world's economy by manipulating the oil
> supply. If he had nukes, he just might be able to pull it off. Eeeek.

Your hypothetical situation becomes more and more fantastical. However, I think that it's quite
interesting that your argument has come round to justifying an invasion of Iraq so that the US can
control oil supply.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>>>The point is, that they're the most pro-active in meddling in the affairs of oil-producing
>>>nations to suit their own means.
>>
>> I suspect the best interests of the US line up pretty well with the best interests of the rest of
>> the world.
>
>So funding and arming saddistic dictatorial regimes is justified, so long as the world gets oil?

We armed a "kinder, gentler" Saddam, a vertiable cream puff compared to those he was fighting. Like
I've said many times, you end up having to choose between some pretty bad options in that region.
The alternative is to let the region degrade into thousands of factions all trying to wipe out the
other, throwing the world economy into chaos. So yea, it's justified.

>We all draw out of the same
>> pool of oil - if that pool stops producing, we all suffer.
>
>If the pool stops producing, the owners of the pool lose out too. The problem is that the US likes
>to manipulate these countries not for the greater benefit of mankind, but for their own economic
>benefits.

Well of course. It's just a happy coincidence that our economic benefit and the "greater benefit of
mankind" tend to line up in this case.

>> Saddam's stated aims include a lot more than just Kuwait - he literally wants to control the
>> region (don't forget he unsuccessfully tried to invade Iran). He really wouldn't have to control
>> all that much of the supply to catastrophically impact the world's economy by manipulating the
>> oil supply. If he had nukes, he just might be able to pull it off. Eeeek.
>
>Your hypothetical situation becomes more and more fantastical. However, I think that it's quite
>interesting that your argument has come round to justifying an invasion of Iraq so that the US can
>control oil supply.

Why has any discussion about Iraq become an excercize in looking for "impure motives". There are
lots of valid reasons to disarm Iraq and remove Saddam's regime, as stated over (and over and over).

Blaine Bauer <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> And yeah, I do believe that the only way to get the UN out of the "paralysis by analysis mode" is
>> to push them into it by demonsting just what it was they were "protecting" and by exposing the
>> rotten core of the UN Security Council. We (as a planet) deserve better protection from that
>> organization.
>
>Being that government violated the basic UN charter (far worse than Saddam's violation of a
>resolution), I seriously HOPE the UN Security Council remains paralized.

Are you happy with the UN's performance on controlling the spread of WMD? Are you willing to give
any despot with aggressive history and no regard for life more than 12 years without any cooperation
in the future?

If so, we just have to agree to disagree.

Mark Hickey wrote:

> We armed a "kinder, gentler" Saddam, a vertiable cream puff compared to those he was fighting.
> Like I've said many times, you end up having to choose between some pretty bad options in that
> region. The alternative is to let the region degrade into thousands of factions all trying to wipe
> out the other, throwing the world economy into chaos. So yea, it's justified.

One of your chosen arguments is the liberation of the Iraqi people. Yet you can justify supporting a
regime in Algeria that currently slaughters an average of about 20,000 people a year. Does that not
seem slightly hypocritical?

>>If the pool stops producing, the owners of the pool lose out too. The problem is that the US likes
>>to manipulate these countries not for the greater benefit of mankind, but for their own economic
>>benefits.
>

> Well of course. It's just a happy coincidence that our economic benefit and the "greater benefit
> of mankind" tend to line up in this case.

In your opinion, of course...

>>Your hypothetical situation becomes more and more fantastical. However, I think that it's quite
>>interesting that your argument has come round to justifying an invasion of Iraq so that the US can
>>control oil supply.
>

> Why has any discussion about Iraq become an excercize in looking for "impure motives". There
> are lots of valid reasons to disarm Iraq and remove Saddam's regime, as stated over (and over
> and over).

I don't believe the US is there to control oil supply (although I think it will be a nice
side-benefit), I just thought it was interesting that you were arguing that point.

As has been stated over (etc), there are lots of valid reasons to remove Saddam but there's been no
valid reasons given for a "pre-emptive" war on Iraq.

This is the US we're talking about - they don't act in this manner without a very good motive, and
as yet, they've failed to provide one. Until the time when they do provide one that holds some
substance, I'll remain suspicious.

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Paladin says:

> > > Please, PLEASE, Oh Exalted One, explain to us poor iggerant feckers
how
> > > "Peacenik" = "American Hating". I could never figure that one out.
> >
> > Or even why the term 'liberal' is always bandied about when people
express
> > their dissatisfaction at military actions.
> >
> > It seems to be a favourite right wing rant in the US. Hell, how many
times
> > to you hear the right wingers ranting about 'PC liberal ****'? Well, I'm anti PC, anti-WAR and
> > pro-PEACE - how would they reconcile that? ',;~}
> >
> > > Steve confused in RI
> >
> > You'd be equally confused wherever you were Steve ',;~P```````
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>

> You're just special, and that'w why I love you so much.

Errrmm, thanks Paladin.... I think....heheheheheh......

> Paladin I dare you to defy more stereotypes than I do! Ha.

Too late! I reckon I gots it down cold baby, oh aye! - Challenge accepted ',;~}

Shaun aRe

On 26/3/03 3:47 am, in article [email protected], "Mark Hickey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeremy Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote...

>> I think the Red Cross have probably housed the families of suicide bombers whose houses were
>> blown up by the glorious IDF - maybe THEY are "linked with terrorism" too?
>
> If you can't differentiate between a $25,000 bounty and humanitarian aid, you probably wouldn't
> notice the difference between a pound of chocolate and a pound of VX. Be careful what you eat.

A "bounty"? More like compensation for their tragic loss - a bit like the
9/11 victims got. Never thought I'd hear an American decrying compensation culture!!

J.

Mark Hickey wrote:

> Why has any discussion about Iraq become an excercize in looking for "impure motives". There
> are lots of valid reasons to disarm Iraq and remove Saddam's regime, as stated over (and over
> and over).

That's funny. You haven't given any reasons yet that differentiate Saddam from the rest of the
psycho world leaders out there. Oh, yeah, except for oil and the big fat contract Halliburton just
won to rebuild Iraq. Cheney thinking to himself: "The economy sucks." Cheney brain farts and this
pops into his head: "LET'S HAVE A WAR!"

Greg

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Blaine Bauer <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey wrote:
>>

>>>And yeah, I do believe that the only way to get the UN out of the "paralysis by analysis mode" is
>>>to push them into it by demonsting just what it was they were "protecting" and by exposing the
>>>rotten core of the UN Security Council. We (as a planet) deserve better protection from that
>>>organization.
>>
>>Being that government violated the basic UN charter (far worse than Saddam's violation of a
>>resolution), I seriously HOPE the UN Security Council remains paralized.
>

> Are you happy with the UN's performance on controlling the spread of WMD?

The spread of WMD? One possible 300 mile range SCUD so far is the spread of WMD? Just where are all
those WMD that he has been building these last 12 years? If he had so many WMD why hadn't he taken
back the land of the Kurdish authority?

When all these WMD start showing up you can tell me I told you so and I'll vote for you when you run
for President. But until then you're basing 99% of your argument on unsubstantiated Bush propoganda.

Greg

<[email protected]> wrote:

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Mark Hickey wrote:
>>
>> The point is, that they're the most pro-active in meddling in the affairs of oil-producing
>> nations to suit their own means.
>
> I suspect the best interests of the US line up pretty well with the best interests of the rest of
> the world.

How comical - what does the rest of the world get from US companies filling their boots in Iraq?

J.