OT: Mail Reader

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:21:23 +0200, bomba wrote:

> Freeride wrote:
>
>> You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you
>> will never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting
>> spammed.
>
> Explain how switching to Linux stops you getting spam.

No its not going to stop him from getting spammed, and I did not say it would. Ximian Evolution mail
client has some nice filtering capabilities and bets Outlook Express hand down it does not even
compare. He would not have to worry about mail viruses, viruses, spy-ware, ad-ware, and the rest of
the **** that goes along with using Windows.

John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UYxra.669463$L1.189985@sccrnsc02...
> > I get a fair old bit of spam, and I'm pretty much totally sure it's
> because
> > my addy gets harvested from Usenet. I don't fill in on-line forms. The
> more
> > I post, the more spam I get.
>
> You must need a T1 just for email then! ;)

Cheeky.

Shaun aRe

Freeride wrote:

>>>You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you
>>>will never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting
>>>spammed.
>>
>>Explain how switching to Linux stops you getting spam.
>

> No its not going to stop him from getting spammed, and I did not say it would.

Seemed pretty clear to me: "you will never... worry about... your system getting spammed".

Ximian Evolution mail client has some nice filtering capabilities
> and bets Outlook Express hand down it does not even compare.

True, although Evolution is a PITA to config if you don't run Gnome because of dependencies...

The point is, there are mail clients out there for Windows that also have filtering abilities, that
have to config'd in a similar manner to Evolution to prevent spam.

> He would not have to worry about mail viruses, viruses, spy-ware, ad-ware, and the rest of the
> **** that goes along with using Windows.

Yes, but there are numerous other things to worry about. Switching OS is not a viable answer to the
problem of spam.