OT more MS Windows flaws discovered

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dirtylitterboxo, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. In the UK press (Daily Telegraph)
    "Microsoft flaw causes panic over hackers
    By Simon English in New York
    (Filed: 11/02/2004)

    Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical" flaws in its operating
    system would allow hackers to break into personal computers across the world.

    The company warned that all current versions of its Windows operating system were at risk.

    Computer security experts reacted with anger to the announcement from executives at the world's
    biggest software company, saying they had alerted them months ago. They said computer systems that
    control critically important power or water utilities were vulnerable..." and it goes on.

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > In the UK press (Daily Telegraph) "Microsoft flaw causes panic over hackers By Simon English in
    > New York (Filed: 11/02/2004)
    >

    > Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical"
    flaws
    > in its operating system would allow hackers to break into personal
    computers
    > across the world.
    >
    > The company warned that all current versions of its Windows operating
    system
    > were at risk.
    >
    > Computer security experts reacted with anger to the announcement from executives at the world's
    > biggest software company, saying they had
    alerted
    > them months ago. They said computer systems that control critically
    important
    > power or water utilities were vulnerable..." and it goes on.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I thought they were just getting rid of a swastika in a font. I think the 'panic' is
    journalist panic.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical"
    flaws
    > in its operating system would allow hackers to break into personal
    computers
    > across the world.

    I wonder if they have a "Critical Security Flaw Press Release" in the standard set of Word
    templates?

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:

    >In the UK press (Daily Telegraph) "Microsoft flaw causes panic over hackers By Simon English in New
    >York (Filed: 11/02/2004)

    >Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical" flaws in its operating
    >system would allow hackers to break into personal computers across the world.

    What's the panic? Micros**t systems have suffered from that for as long as I can remember. It's
    a feature.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  5. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    I don't understand this one. MS releases critical security patches practically every week. All
    addressing similar flaws -- sometimes more serious than this one.

    Slow news day?

    Simon

  6. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb, Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't understand this one. MS releases critical security patches practically every week. All
    > addressing similar flaws -- sometimes more serious than this one.

    Well, I think they've said they're only going to do it once a month now, haven't they? I'll admit I
    don't pay much attention - the machines I'm preofessionally responsible for don't run microsoft -
    but I think I've seen something along those lines fairly recently.

    > Slow news day?

    Presumably. Certainly, it didn't look to me to be any bigger issue than most other critical security
    flaws in MS.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:34:36 -0000, "Simonb"
    <[email protected]>:

    >I don't understand this one. MS releases critical security patches practically every week. All
    >addressing similar flaws -- sometimes more serious than this one.

    Er, not much more serious. This one was said to be one of the most widespread and easily
    exploited ever.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I don't understand this one. MS releases critical security patches practically every week. All
    > addressing similar flaws -- sometimes more serious than this one.

    The amazing thing is that people use it for commercial purposes - that strikes me as criminally
    irresponsible. I run it only on my games machine.

    ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

  9. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:
    >
    > >In the UK press (Daily Telegraph) "Microsoft flaw causes panic over hackers By Simon English in
    > >New York (Filed: 11/02/2004)
    >
    > >Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical" flaws in its operating
    > >system would allow hackers to break into personal computers across the world.
    >
    > What's the panic? Micros**t systems have suffered from that for as long as I can remember. It's a
    > feature.

    And it ain't anything to do with cycling.

    John B

  10. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > And it ain't anything to do with cycling.

    Hence the "OT" (Off Topic) in the subject line. Feel free to ignore OT posts rather than complain
    that they are OT.

    Graeme

  11. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    > >And it ain't anything to do with cycling.
    > >
    > >John B
    >
    > Hence the OT in the title - means "Off Topic"

    That's fair enough but its also the point. I always wonder why people post OT topics. Isn't there a
    separate ng for such postings?

    John B

  12. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    : The amazing thing is that people use it for commercial purposes - that strikes me as criminally
    : irresponsible. I run it only on my games machine.

    Sigh. Most of us out there have to accept that the world is a big place and you end up with a
    mixture of systems.

    However, I'm with the "how is this news" crowd. The last few MS security advisories have all had
    a "critical, could lead to a worm" type hole in them [RPC, Wins, this crypto one, messenger
    service etc].

    But this is work for me, so I'm bowing out there.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  13. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > And it ain't anything to do with cycling.
    >
    > Hence the "OT" (Off Topic) in the subject line. Feel free to ignore OT posts rather than complain
    > that they are OT.

    Fair enough. But it begs the question why some feel it necessary to clutter ngs with OT posts.

    John B (who's cross because his Brommie threw him again.)

  14. James

    James Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m05.aol.com...
    >
    > > Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical"
    > flaws
    > > in its operating system would allow hackers to break into personal
    > computers
    > > across the world.

    > I wonder if they have a "Critical Security Flaw Press Release" in the standard set of Word
    > templates?

    see http://www.google.com/search?q=%22microsoft+admits%22

    (yes, I nicked it from NTK)

    best wishes james

  15. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

    >> Hence the OT in the title - means "Off Topic"
    >
    > That's fair enough but its also the point. I always wonder why people post OT topics. Isn't there
    > a separate ng for such postings?

    If there was a newsgroup for off topic postings then they wouldn't be off topic, would they?

    There is, however, a group called alt.off-topic which appears to be for children who are very tired
    and have drunk too much fizzy pop with tartrazine in.

    --
    Rob

  16. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:

    >Microsoft caused panic last night with a sudden admission that "critical" flaws in its operating
    >system would allow hackers to break into personal computers across the world.

    In further news, the sun rose in the east and water is wet.

  17. Scrumpyjoe

    Scrumpyjoe Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:34:36 +0000, Simonb wrote:

    > I don't understand this one. MS releases critical security patches practically every week. All
    > addressing similar flaws -- sometimes more serious than this one.
    >
    > Slow news day?
    >
    > Simon

    No, I think that using the national news is quite a responsible thing to do. Microsoft have been
    harshly critisised in the past for

    1 Not publicising the availability of software patches.

    2 Denying that a problem exists

    3 Finding a problem and not patching it quickly

    For the people who administer networks professionally or run alternative operating systems checking
    for and applying updates is part of everyday procedure. However, for the majority of people this is
    not the case and the national news is probably one of the best ways of disemminating the
    availability of a patch very quickly.

    Also, without reading too much of the background behind this my understanding of the problem is that
    the flaw was so fundamental that there wasn't even an announcement that the vulnerability existed so
    that hackers (who didn't already know about it) couldn't exploit it while a patch was made.

  18. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, ScrumpyJoe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > No, I think that using the national news is quite a responsible thing to do.

    That's true, I'm all for national publicity every time a critical security flaw is found in
    Microsoft products. After a couple of weeks of daily admissions that they've found another one,
    perhaps the general populace would start to notice just how apalling MS software is.

    Perhaps the best solution for all these anti-competitive-practises law suits would be to require MS
    to talke out full-page adverts notifying users every time an exploit is found. Two birds with one
    stone - MS is penalised for each bug, and the world at large gets an inkling of just how many
    'undocumented features' the software has.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  19. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Fair enough. But it begs the question why some feel it necessary to clutter ngs with OT posts.

    Good question. Perhaps regular posters feel a sense of community and wish to share their thoughts
    on other subjects with others in the community. Personally I think it's no bad thing that people
    feel like this and the occasional OT post can often prompt some interesting discussions, often *on*
    topic ones.

    > John B (who's cross because his Brommie threw him again.)

    You've not been lusting over other bikes again have you? Brommies get very jealous you know.

    ...See, I told you it can get back on topic eventually :)

  20. Pip

    Pip Guest

    elyob thought it would be good to say:

    > I thought they were just getting rid of a swastika in a font.

    And, just to show they're an equal opportunitites company, they got rid of the Star of
    David as well.

    Pip