OT more MS Windows flaws discovered

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers thought it would be good to say:

> Some of us have no choice. The software I use for business purposes is Macrocrap Windows based and
> the techhie people have refused point-blank to support said software if it is on any machine
> running Linux or any other OS system other than Macrocrap Windows. I simply have no choice :-(

If you're just talking about Office-type software, start using Open Office on the Windows sytem, to
get people used to it, then change the operating system underneath it. Sneak it in slowly.

Pip

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> All very well and good until something goes wrong & I'm left high & dry
with
> client information screwed up with no tech support to rectify it. No
thanks.

Ah, there's the difference: with Linux it's "if" whereas with Windows it's "when" ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers thought it would be good to say:

> All very well and good until something goes wrong & I'm left high & dry with client information
> screwed up with no tech support to rectify it. No thanks.

No support? Hey, you've got us!

Pip

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:06:28 +0000, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
wrote:

> Sadly, the tech support people of the software I *have* to use in order to do my job properly
> don't see it that way.

Uh... could we stick to the helmet/no helmet thing? One jihad at a time please :)

Eugenio (happy Linux sysadmin)

--
"The State of California has no business subsidizing intellectual curiosity." -- Ronald Reagan on
funding scientific research

>>If you're just talking about Office-type software, start using Open Office on the Windows sytem,
>>to get people used to it, then change the operating system underneath it. Sneak it in slowly.
>
>All very well and good until something goes wrong & I'm left high & dry with client information
>screwed up with no tech support to rectify it. No thanks.

Use Star Office then, which is Open Office supported by Sun?

See also http://www.netscrap.com/netscrap_detail.cfm?scrap_id=704 (and numerous other copies - it's
the comparison o Microsoft Technical Support vs. The Psychic Friends Network )

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:18:32 +0000, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
wrote:

> I've never had any of the tech people insist I wear my cycle helmet whilst computing.

They should. If the software you use is boring enough (which is always the case, unless your company
pays you to play Quake 3), there is a small but non-zero chance that you'll fall asleep and your
head will crash into the monitor. According to available statistics, the average A&E in London
receives 1-2 workers injured in this way, each month...

--
When the going gets tough, the tough get an UZI

On 13 Feb 2004 18:06:28 GMT, [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote
in message
<[email protected]>:

>Sadly, the tech support people of the software I *have* to use in order to do my job properly don't
>see it that way.

In that case madam <flourish> Crossover Office is exactly the product you need ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:

>>Uh... could we stick to the helmet/no helmet thing? One jihad at a time please :)

>I've never had any of the tech people insist I wear my cycle helmet whilst computing.

But lots of computer techies do wear mountaineering boots while computing. I guess it's a question
of relative risk.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

: In that case madam <flourish> Crossover Office is exactly the product you need ;-)

I can see the tech support conversation now

"Which version of Windows are you running?" "Linux with Crossover Office" "Click, brrrrr"

Much though I like Linux (I'm writing this in vi), saying that everyone can use it right now isn't
the best way to spread the word.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

On 16/2/04 10:46 am, in article [email protected], "Arthur
Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : In that case madam <flourish> Crossover Office is exactly the product you need ;-)
>
> I can see the tech support conversation now
>
> "Which version of Windows are you running?" "Linux with Crossover Office" "Click, brrrrr"
>
> Much though I like Linux (I'm writing this in vi), saying that everyone can use it right now isn't
> the best way to spread the word.

My kids seem quite happy with it at home. It is a bit of a pain making sure all the relevant drivers
etc. work with it for the hardware but it is nice and stable.

The OS for domestic use though is probably OS X, a very nice piece of work for the power consumer...
(with a big budget)

..d

> Arthur

>>Use Star Office then, which is Open Office supported by Sun?
>>
>>See also http://www.netscrap.com/netscrap_detail.cfm?scrap_id=704 (and numerous other copies -
>>it's the comparison o Microsoft Technical Support vs. The Psychic Friends Network )
>
>Err no. You see it really is a plain and simple *no*. It's not me being awkward, it's not me being
>some die-hard fan of Macrocrap. It's quite simple. The business software I *have* to use to enable
>me to do my job properly is Windows based and the software houses supplying it *refuse* to support
>it in the event of problems if it's run on anything other than Windows.

Lots of software is like that, and it can be a very good reason for sticking with Windows.

Hence the "If you're just talking about Office-type software" qualifier I left in from several
posts back.