OT. More PC Help Please

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Taywood, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    When I got this new PC I ran a slideshow and found porno objects, which scared the shit out of me.
    You guys explained that after looking at that sort of page I should remove URL's, TIF's and so on,
    which I did. (well I'm old and looking is all I can do these days...aaaah)

    Before the PC is about to go in for a mod I did a search for porno words in the Registry, and found
    them, lots of them. I remember there was a cascade of sites very fast, an avalanche of porn, until I
    finally got the sense to panic switch off. This lot is in H Key Users...Internet Settings...Zone
    Map... Domains. I dont recognise any of them!!

    My question is Can I safely Delete them and Can I do a bulk Delete or do I have to delete each one
    singly- and miss two days riding. (well I did say there was a lot) Plus is there anywhere else in
    the Registry I should be looking for nasties before it goes in for its spring clean. Thanks Mike

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Taywood wrote:
    > When I got this new PC I ran a slideshow and found porno objects, which scared the shit out of me.
    > You guys explained that after looking at that sort of page I should remove URL's, TIF's and so on,
    > which I did. (well I'm old and looking is all I can do these days...aaaah)
    >
    > Before the PC is about to go in for a mod I did a search for porno words in the Registry, and
    > found them, lots of them. I remember there was a cascade of sites very fast, an avalanche of porn,
    > until I finally got the sense to panic switch off. This lot is in H Key Users...Internet
    > Settings...Zone Map... Domains. I dont recognise any of them!!
    >
    > My question is Can I safely Delete them and Can I do a bulk Delete or do I have to delete each one
    > singly- and miss two days riding. (well I did say there was a lot) Plus is there anywhere else in
    > the Registry I should be looking for nasties before it goes in for its spring clean.

    As long as it's not Gary Glitter stuff, who cares?

    Anyway, mucking around with the registry when you don't know what you're doing is a bad idea. You
    have the potential to totally ruin the OS.

    If you're really that bothered, try Window Washer:
    http://webroot.com/wb/products/windowwasher/index.php

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I got this new PC I ran a slideshow and found porno objects, which scared the shit out of me.
    > You guys explained that after looking at that sort of page I should remove URL's, TIF's and so on,
    > which I did. (well I'm old and looking is all I can do these days...aaaah)

    New, or new to you?

    > Before the PC is about to go in for a mod I did a search for porno words in the Registry, and
    > found them, lots of them. I remember there was a cascade of sites very fast, an avalanche of porn,
    > until I finally got the sense to panic switch off. This lot is in H Key Users...Internet
    > Settings...Zone Map... Domains. I dont recognise any of them!!

    Spybot. http://spybot.safer-networking.de/ Follow the directions to remove all the crap.

    Then: Delete IE temp files Delete IE History

    > My question is Can I safely Delete them and Can I do a bulk Delete or do I have to delete each one
    > singly- and miss two days riding. (well I did say there was a lot) Plus is there anywhere else in
    > the Registry I should be looking for nasties before it goes in for its spring clean. Thanks Mike

    The final option is to save all your personal documents and files to CD, and then fdisk and
    reinstall the OS (and everything else). Which may not be a bad idea anyway if the PC is not 'new'.

    Pete

  4. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> When I got this new PC I ran a slideshow and found porno objects, which scared the shit out of
    >> me. You guys explained that after looking at that sort of page I should remove URL's, TIF's and
    >> so on, which I did. (well I'm old and looking is all I can do these days...aaaah)
    >
    > New, or new to you?

    New product, one careful owner, I purchased it 12 months ago. I bought this with funds I'd
    ringfenced for a new bike. Needs more RAM or something.

  5. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > Anyway, mucking around with the registry when you don't know what you're doing is a bad idea. You
    > have the potential to totally ruin the OS.
    >
    > If you're really that bothered, try Window Washer:
    > http://webroot.com/wb/products/windowwasher/index.php

    Thanks Mate I dont have the nous to muck around with the Registry Its just the entries on this one
    file that bothers me. Mike