OT (mostly): Kathleen must be thrilled

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Sorni, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know someone who owned a 1L Fiat Punto, that regularly (she averaged ~5 hundred mostly motorway
    >miles a week) clocked 105 mph (indicated) for reasonably long distances (like when I was in the
    >car, most of the way from Chester to hear ~ 100 miles). She had the (second hand) car for 5 years,
    >the head never cracked, the cam didn't rattle, and the big ends didn't knock.
    >
    >So, big poo to you.

    I bought a new Fiat X1/9 (tiny Bertone-designed mid-engine two seat car) in '75, and went through
    five engines (and/or rebuilds) in approximately 20,000 miles. The car was great fun to drive (on
    those occasions when it did me the great service of starting), and its little 1300cc engine would
    push it along at superlegal speeds all day long. It was also surprisingly comfortable for such a
    small, stiffly sprung car.

    OTOH, I had a '79 Spider that I drove for probably 25,000 miles. Other than a quirky fuel pump
    (that I ended up replacing with an aftermarket electric unit), the thing was very reliable and
    great fun to drive.

    But I'd NEVER own a Fiat as my sole source of transportation again. Ever!

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:

    > I bought a new Fiat X1/9 (tiny Bertone-designed mid-engine two seat car) in '75, and went through
    > five engines (and/or rebuilds) in approximately 20,000 miles. The car was great fun to drive (on
    > those occasions when it did me the great service of starting), and its little 1300cc engine would
    > push it along at superlegal speeds all day long. It was also surprisingly comfortable for such a
    > small, stiffly sprung car.
    >
    > OTOH, I had a '79 Spider that I drove for probably 25,000 miles. Other than a quirky fuel pump
    > (that I ended up replacing with an aftermarket electric unit), the thing was very reliable and
    > great fun to drive.
    >
    > But I'd NEVER own a Fiat as my sole source of transportation again. Ever!

    Fiats were notoriously unreliable in the 70's and 80's but they are better now.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    > > > Nothing corners very well with a cracked cylinder head from trying to push a brinck through
    > > > the air at 150 km/hr with a chainsaw engine.
    > >
    > > Uhhhhm, if your chainsaws have engines that size, you are being
    wasteful.
    > > You do not need a huge capacity engine to make a car move fast, or last long.
    > >

    > North America ear plugs are not as effective those found in the UK.
    >
    > > I know someone who owned a 1L Fiat Punto, that regularly (she averaged
    ~5
    > > hundred mostly motorway miles a week) clocked 105 mph (indicated) for reasonably long distances
    > > (like when I was in the car, most of the way
    from
    > > Chester to hear ~ 100 miles). She had the (second hand) car for 5 years,
    the
    > > head never cracked, the cam didn't rattle, and the big ends didn't
    knock.

    > You can do 200mph with less than a 1L engine, but I don't want to ride a motorcycle, even if it
    > has 4 wheels.

    Now, you must have at east sense enough to know how ridiculous that motorcycle statement was.

    > what the hell is a big end anyway?

    It is the bearing between crank shaft and con rod. The one between the other end of the con rod and
    piston-pin (gudgeon pin) is referred to as the 'little end'.

    > Are you talking about the engine or the women who drove it? :)

    Thinking back, doesn't much matter, heheheheh.......

    Shaun aRe

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I know someone who owned a 1L Fiat Punto, that regularly (she averaged ~5 hundred mostly motorway
    > >miles a week) clocked 105 mph (indicated) for reasonably long distances (like when I was in the
    > >car, most of the way
    from
    > >Chester to hear ~ 100 miles). She had the (second hand) car for 5 years,
    the
    > >head never cracked, the cam didn't rattle, and the big ends didn't knock.
    > >
    > >So, big poo to you.
    >
    > I bought a new Fiat X1/9 (tiny Bertone-designed mid-engine two seat car)

    I know them ',;~}~

    > in '75, and went through five engines (and/or rebuilds) in approximately 20,000 miles. The car was
    > great fun to drive (on those occasions when it did me the great service of starting), and its
    > little 1300cc engine would push it along at superlegal speeds all day long. It was also
    > surprisingly comfortable for such a small, stiffly sprung car.
    >
    > OTOH, I had a '79 Spider that I drove for probably 25,000 miles. Other than a quirky fuel pump
    > (that I ended up replacing with an aftermarket electric unit), the thing was very reliable and
    > great fun to drive.
    >
    > But I'd NEVER own a Fiat as my sole source of transportation again. Ever!

    And neither would I, but that was not my point, as well you know ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > the
    > > > head never cracked, the cam didn't rattle, and the big ends didn't
    > knock.
    > >
    > > You can do 200mph with less than a 1L engine, but I don't want to ride a motorcycle, even if it
    > > has 4 wheels.
    >
    > Now, you must have at east sense enough to know how ridiculous that motorcycle statement was.

    Is ridiculous euro-slang for ironic?

    > > what the hell is a big end anyway?
    >
    > It is the bearing between crank shaft and con rod. The one between the other end of the con rod
    > and piston-pin (gudgeon pin) is referred to as the 'little end'.

    Ok we call that the connecting rod bushing and the piston wrist pin bushing, and we keep it all
    under the hood, not the bonnet dammit! :)

    --
    _________________________

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > the
    > > knock.
    > > >
    > > > You can do 200mph with less than a 1L engine, but I don't want to ride
    > > > motorcycle, even if it has 4 wheels.
    > >
    > > Now, you must have at east sense enough to know how ridiculous that motorcycle statement was.
    >
    > Is ridiculous euro-slang for ironic?

    No, it means ridiculous. I have no desire to drive a tractor around the streets, even if it does
    have a car shaped body and car style tyres, heheheh.......

    > > > what the hell is a big end anyway?
    > >
    > > It is the bearing between crank shaft and con rod. The one between the
    other
    > > end of the con rod and piston-pin (gudgeon pin) is referred to as the 'little end'.
    > >

    > Ok we call that the connecting rod bushing and the piston wrist pin bushing, and we keep it all
    > under the hood, not the bonnet dammit! :)

    Heh - we were there first, dude, heheheh..........

    Shaun aRe ',;~}~