OT: Motorcycle?

I know, I know... wrong newsgroup, but as a stone newbie I'm more comfy
asking in a group I'm more familiar with.
So? Anybody out there ride one of those big, smelly, noisy motorized
bikes?
I'm thinking about getting one to escape the city with, a cheap used
learner, something in the $1500 700ish range, probably a used Honda or
something. FWIW, I'm 6'2 and 210lbs.
What I'm looking for, I suppose, is the Dodge Dart of motorcycles.
Comfort/reliability/price weigh more heavily than speed/performance.

Any recommendations?

/s

> Any recommendations?

A Honda Nighthawk 650 or 750 is the... Honda Civic of motorcycles.
Efficient, reliable and boring.

Yamaha Virago 650 and Kawasaki ltd 454 are good contenders too.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know, I know... wrong newsgroup, but as a stone newbie I'm more comfy
> asking in a group I'm more familiar with.
> So? Anybody out there ride one of those big, smelly, noisy motorized
> bikes?
> I'm thinking about getting one to escape the city with, a cheap used
> learner, something in the $1500 700ish range, probably a used Honda or
> something. FWIW, I'm 6'2 and 210lbs.
> What I'm looking for, I suppose, is the Dodge Dart of motorcycles.
> Comfort/reliability/price weigh more heavily than speed/performance.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> /s

We were looking at a couple of Buell's, a Suzuki and a Yamaha last summer.
Our plans got discombobulated with injuries and illnesses and we never wound
up getting anything.

Are you experienced with a moto or are you a beginner?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Any recommendations?

> A Honda Nighthawk 650 or 750 is the... Honda Civic of motorcycles.
> Efficient, reliable and boring.
>
> Yamaha Virago 650 and Kawasaki ltd 454 are good contenders too.

Also consider the Suzuki Savage 650, Suzuki GS500, Kawi Vulcan 750/800,
Honda Shadow. Anything less than 500-650cc's is a waste of money.

Exactly what kind of bike are you looking for anyways?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

[email protected] wrote:
> I know, I know... wrong newsgroup, but as a stone newbie I'm more comfy
> asking in a group I'm more familiar with.
> So? Anybody out there ride one of those big, smelly, noisy motorized
> bikes?
> I'm thinking about getting one to escape the city with, a cheap used
> learner, something in the $1500 700ish range, probably a used Honda or
> something. FWIW, I'm 6'2 and 210lbs.
> What I'm looking for, I suppose, is the Dodge Dart of motorcycles.
> Comfort/reliability/price weigh more heavily than speed/performance.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> /s

I picked up an 85(ish) honda nighthawk 750 as my first bike two years
ago. It was cheap ($850) and has served me well. Now I'm actually
planning on downsizing to something similar but in th 400-500cc range.
At 5'10" 165lb the 750 just feels too big and heavy to me. For your
size something like the 750 would be ideal as long as you can control
yourself, there's way more than enough power for a beginner.

> We were looking at a couple of Buell's, a Suzuki and a Yamaha last
> summer. Our plans got discombobulated with injuries and illnesses and
> we never wound up getting anything.

Lol - that was exactly the path I took as well a couple years ago. I liked
the Buell "difference", then got drooly over a 'busa (too much of a vile
temptress, that thing) and finally settled on an FZ-1; its price to
performance overshadowing everything else by a good margin.

Carla A-G wrote:
> "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>Any recommendations?

Anything less than 500-650cc's is a waste of money.

That's hardly the case, it all depends on what you want to do with it.
For highway cruising then sure, you'll want some umpf between your legs.
If you just want to get around town then even a 250 could do just
fine.

> Exactly what kind of bike are you looking for anyways?

That's the question to ask.

Look for a late model Honda Magna. Honda stopped producing them this
year for some unknown reason. It has a little style, comfort and the
punch of the 748cc Honda V4 that is basically the same engine as the
venerable VF750 Interceptor. I have 32,000 miles on mine and it still
runs like a champ.

To reiterate what others have posted, the Honda Nighthawk 750 is a fine
choice as well.

I'd also have to agree that less than a 750 would probably be a waste
if you are going out on the open road a lot. With the higher posted
highway speeds nowdays, keeping up with traffic on smaller bikes = too
much handlebar buzz.

JD

If you're going to do mainly highway riding, a 4 cylinder (either V or
transverse) will enhance the riding experience. Twins sound nice and are OK
for city work, but just don't smooth out on the highway if you're there for
a while. I also liked shaft drive on the highway whereas a lot of folks
didn't, so go figure. Just my $.02, and I'm basing this on older model
bikes that would likely be within your price range. Probably you'll want to
start searching for bikes around 750 cc and 1990 or so.

Just about everything I rode from 350's to 1000's were upright posture
"cruiser" bikes. I modified bars on a few to alter riding positions, and
must say that if it's a highway bike you're looking for, a "sport" posture
bike will likely be more comfortable. This allows for a slightly forward
posture that counters the wind pressure and kind-of keeps you supported when
at speed. I'm not suggesting a full-on cafe style racer, cause they're not
as comfortable for long distance stuff.

With that said, criteria changes if you add a faring or windscreen, or want
to carry bags or add a bike rack ;-) Just like pedal bikes, the more you
know about what you're going to use it for, the better.

Like anything else, a test ride is essential. If you don't have a license,
take one of the state courses (assuming they're offered where you are) to
get trained and especially to get the insurance breaks.

Cheers
Gary

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Look for a late model Honda Magna. Honda stopped producing them this
>year for some unknown reason. It has a little style, comfort and the
>punch of the 748cc Honda V4 that is basically the same engine as the
>venerable VF750 Interceptor. I have 32,000 miles on mine and it still
>runs like a champ.

Ahhh, the "Magna" name is misapplied to the 750cc variety. I had an
'83 model, which had an 1100cc V-4 fire-breathing monster of a motor.
The thing was absolutely insane. It was the only bike I've ever owned
that scared me regularly. Stock, they were capable of running well
under 11 second quarter miles, and that's on a cruiser-style chassis
with questionable brakes (which is what makes it scary). Mine had
been rebuilt and worked over a bit, so was a bit faster.

I bought and sold mine for about the budget of the OP, and it would
make a reasonably good solo cruising bike for short to medium length
jaunts. It's not really the bike for carving up the canyon roads, but
will get you down the interstate in (rapid) order. The one thing
you'll want to do is to replace the truly awful handlebars though -
they put your wrists into a painfully contorted position. Strangely,
I was able to sell my old ones on Ebay for more than a new pair of
touring bars cost. Go figger.

>I'd also have to agree that less than a 750 would probably be a waste
>if you are going out on the open road a lot. With the higher posted
>highway speeds nowdays, keeping up with traffic on smaller bikes = too
>much handlebar buzz.

Yep. I knew I needed something more road-worthy than my old Magna, so
sold it and got a '91 BMW K100RS. It's a sport touring bike (meaning
it handles well in the twisties, but can take two across the continent
if necessary). Hard bags, good handling, quiet (moreso than a typical
car), smooth, reliable, efficient (50mph). It's not quite as quick as
the Magna, but can still get the adrenaline flowing, and can go
250-300 miles on a tank (unless I'm riding with my Harley buddies, who
have to stop about twice as often).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

> Also consider the Suzuki Savage 650, Suzuki GS500, Kawi Vulcan
750/800,

I'll give you a helluva deal on a lightly used (15,000 miles) 1996
Kawasaki Vulcan V-800A