[OT] Moving to Thunderbird

Not Responding

Guest
OK, Tbird installed. Working (Y/N)?

Sorry about test post in urc.

Anyone care to comment on the merits of Tbird vs Free Agent?

Personally I like the new Google Groups web interface at
http://groups-beta.google.com - I could never get on with Free Agent
because it always looked dated and a bit clunky! Tbird seems good but
because I use multiple computers using gmail for email and google
groups beta for usenet means I can keep up to date everywhere - and
both of them have nice easy interfaces which is nice ;)

Not Responding wrote:
> OK, Tbird installed. Working (Y/N)?
>
> Sorry about test post in urc.
>
> Anyone care to comment on the merits of Tbird vs Free Agent?

Working fine :)
replying on thunderbird. I changed a very long time ago. I use Free
Agent in another guise & find thunderbird much more intuitive.
Stan Cox

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> publicenergy ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Personally I like the new Google Groups web interface at
> > http://groups-beta.google.com

> That's why your quoting is so good, is it?

Is it really necessary to repeat everything going down the thread? Most
newsreaders will show you the messages arranged in a thread so you can
follow them. Is the ettiquette to quote the relevent part before
replying then?

publicenergy wrote:
> Is it really necessary to repeat everything going down the thread? Most
> newsreaders will show you the messages arranged in a thread so you can
> follow them. Is the ettiquette to quote the relevent part before
> replying then?

Yes.

Because there are many, many news servers, and news messages take time
to propagate between them. Some messages may be delayed hours, days, or
never appear at all. Therefore it is always dangerous to assume that
the message you are replying to has appeared on everybody's, or even
anybody else's, server, and thus you quote the relevant portions to
establish a context.

R.

Richard wrote:
> publicenergy wrote:
> > Is it really necessary to repeat everything going down the

thread?...

> Yes.
>
> Because there are many, many news servers, and news messages take

time
> to propagate between them. Some messages may be delayed hours, days,

or
> never appear at all. Therefore it is always dangerous to assume

that
> the message you are replying to has appeared on everybody's, or even
> anybody else's, server, and thus you quote the relevant portions to
> establish a context.

Ok, fair enough. The fault was mine rather than the posting method I
was using then. Cheers for nipping this in the bud :)

Not Responding <[email protected]> wrote:

| OK, Tbird installed. Working (Y/N)?
|
| Sorry about test post in urc.
|
| Anyone care to comment on the merits of Tbird vs Free Agent?

In Free Agent you can choose your quote prefix, but you can't click on
urls.

Does TBird's "sync now" thing work? I never got that to work in NS4 so
it was a pain on dialup. Whereas Free Agent's "get new headers" works
fine.

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:48:07 GMT, Stan Cox <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Not Responding wrote:
>> Anyone care to comment on the merits of Tbird vs Free Agent?

>Working fine :)
>replying on thunderbird. I changed a very long time ago. I use Free
>Agent in another guise & find thunderbird much more intuitive.

Hi Stan

I have used various versions of FreeAgent for years and have no
problems with it. However, I'm not so stuck in a rut that I'm not
willing to give TBird a try.

However, I do have one question. I use Eudora for e-mail and don't
want (yet) to stop doing so. Is there a setting in TBird that allows
one to leave e-mails on the server? My intention is to download TBird
and use it, but carry on using Eudora at the same time?

Make that two questions. Can one easily transfer mails from Eudora to
TBird?

Thanks
James

James Hodson wrote:

> However, I do have one question. I use Eudora for e-mail and don't
> want (yet) to stop doing so. Is there a setting in TBird that allows
> one to leave e-mails on the server? My intention is to download TBird
> and use it, but carry on using Eudora at the same time?

Yes there is, I use it at work to check my home email but leave the
messages on the server to download to home later.

James Hodson wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:48:07 GMT, Stan Cox <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Not Responding wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone care to comment on the merits of Tbird vs Free Agent?

>>Working fine :)
>>replying on thunderbird. I changed a very long time ago. I use Free
>>Agent in another guise & find thunderbird much more intuitive.

> Hi Stan
>
> I have used various versions of FreeAgent for years and have no
> problems with it. However, I'm not so stuck in a rut that I'm not
> willing to give TBird a try.
>
> However, I do have one question. I use Eudora for e-mail and don't
> want (yet) to stop doing so. Is there a setting in TBird that allows
> one to leave e-mails on the server? My intention is to download TBird
> and use it, but carry on using Eudora at the same time?
>
> Make that two questions. Can one easily transfer mails from Eudora to
> TBird?
>
> Thanks
> James

James
Yes in the pop settings there is a tick box to leave messages on the
server. I must admit I have never used eudora but a quick google finds
plenty of hits for importing from eudora. Free agent is much better
for downloading attachments.

Stan Cox

Patrick Herring wrote:

> Does TBird's "sync now" thing work? I never got that to work in NS4 so
> it was a pain on dialup. Whereas Free Agent's "get new headers" works
> fine.

Not sure what you mean about 'sync now', 'get messages' works on dial up

Patrick Herring wrote:

> Does TBird's "sync now" thing work? I never got that to work in NS4 so
> it was a pain on dialup. Whereas Free Agent's "get new headers" works
> fine.

It doesn't work for me but Mozilla suite 1.7.3 does....
All the best
Dan Gregory

Patrick Herring wrote:

> Does TBird's "sync now" thing work? I never got that to work in NS4 so
> it was a pain on dialup. Whereas Free Agent's "get new headers" works
> fine.

Does for me in v1.0 but didn't in earlier versions.

Tony

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:16:05 GMT, [email protected] (Patrick Herring)
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>In Free Agent you can choose your quote prefix, but you can't click on
>urls.

You can double-click, though...

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

| Patrick Herring wrote:
|

| > Does TBird's "sync now" thing work? I never got that to work in NS4 so
| > it was a pain on dialup. Whereas Free Agent's "get new headers" works
| > fine.
| >
| Not sure what you mean about 'sync now', 'get messages' works on dial up

Hmm, what I've always had in NS4, and TBird looks the same, is that
"get message" gets only the headers, clicking on a header gets the
body, so to get all the bodies for reading offline you have to do File
-> Offline -> Download/sync now. In theory you could have that
automatically for a particular newsgroup, but in NS4 it seemed never
to do it automatically. I wondered whether TBird has the same problem,
since the menus look similar (and I'm too lazy to try it for myself),
and I'm also wondering whether I'm in the same universe as everyone
else.

--

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:49:40 GMT, Patrick Herring wrote:

>James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>| On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:16:05 GMT, [email protected] (Patrick Herring)
>| wrote:
>|
>| >In Free Agent you can choose your quote prefix, but you can't click on
>| >urls.
>|
>| Are you sure? I clicked on http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html and was
>| taken to your home page.
>
>Not in mine (v1.11/32). I've always assumed it was a Non-Free Agent
>feature. Maybe I could get an upgrade.

Get the latest version of Agent (2.0) and it will revert to free agent
after the trial period expires.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:14:34 +0000, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:49:40 GMT, Patrick Herring wrote:
>
>>James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>>| Are you sure? I clicked on http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html and was
>>| taken to your home page.
>>
>>Not in mine (v1.11/32). I've always assumed it was a Non-Free Agent
>>feature. Maybe I could get an upgrade.

>Get the latest version of Agent (2.0) and it will revert to free agent
>after the trial period expires.

Or just install it as FreeAgnet. But yes, 2.0/32 has clickable URLs.

Does Thunderbird allow more than one server to be used?

And does it have an "offline" mode like FreeAgent does?

Tim