OT: Musical Devices

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mitch Pollard, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A Pod Dog for your road dog.

    I personally like iriver units, i recommend ephpod, and not itunes, i tunes
    stupid DRM..
    yes nanos look elite.

    Who has a spare $13k+ for a car that goes 1000 to the gallon, who has a
    spare $240 for a nano. maybe more people have the latter, consumer
    electronics are getting very big very quick (economically).

    Tags:

  2. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> So I wanted to get something for all the lonely road rides I do (not
    >> trails). I have a 60GB iPod, but it's too big and clunky for riding.
    >> I picked up an iPod Nano today. Does anyone else think this is the
    >> coolest, "how'd they do that" technology out there?
    >>
    >> What bugs me is they can make something so small that plays 1000
    >> songs, yet can't make am affordable car that gets 1000 miles to the
    >> gallon.

    > We can definitely make affordable cars that gets >100mpg... that's no
    > problem. The problem is getting American culture to embrace it. Go to
    > Europe sometime... Italy specifically.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    I try and boycot using my car as much as possible. i try and ride when
    weather permits, i am looking at selling the car and getting a 50cc scooter,
    the ultimate in petrol misers..

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    So I wanted to get something for all the lonely road rides I do (not
    trails). I have a 60GB iPod, but it's too big and clunky for riding. I
    picked up an iPod Nano today. Does anyone else think this is the
    coolest, "how'd they do that" technology out there?

    What bugs me is they can make something so small that plays 1000 songs,
    yet can't make am affordable car that gets 1000 miles to the gallon.

    Anyway, it's a cool toy!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  4. A Pod Dog for your road dog.

  5. Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > So I wanted to get something for all the lonely road rides I do (not
    > trails). I have a 60GB iPod, but it's too big and clunky for riding.
    > I picked up an iPod Nano today. Does anyone else think this is the
    > coolest, "how'd they do that" technology out there?
    >
    > What bugs me is they can make something so small that plays 1000
    > songs, yet can't make am affordable car that gets 1000 miles to the
    > gallon.

    We can definitely make affordable cars that gets >100mpg... that's no
    problem. The problem is getting American culture to embrace it. Go to
    Europe sometime... Italy specifically.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. BB

    BB Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:39:17 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > So I wanted to get something for all the lonely road rides I do (not
    > trails). I have a 60GB iPod, but it's too big and clunky for riding. I
    > picked up an iPod Nano today. Does anyone else think this is the
    > coolest, "how'd they do that" technology out there?

    I wouldn't ride on the road with one (unless it was a car-free fireroad),
    but yeah that is a very cool player. Higher-density flash memory really
    opened the door for a much smaller 4GB player.

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:39:17 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >>So I wanted to get something for all the lonely road rides I do (not
    >>trails). I have a 60GB iPod, but it's too big and clunky for riding. I
    >>picked up an iPod Nano today. Does anyone else think this is the
    >>coolest, "how'd they do that" technology out there?

    > I wouldn't ride on the road with one (unless it was a car-free fireroad),
    > but yeah that is a very cool player. Higher-density flash memory really
    > opened the door for a much smaller 4GB player.

    I ride the same 25 mile section every week day. It has a pretty wide
    bike lane. Id feel safe for 90% of the ride and the other 10% I'll just
    pop the ear buds out.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  8. x1134x

    x1134x Guest

    Still-baffled @ why you need 4GB? The smaller SANdisks and other
    memory cards with built-in usb flash connectors are more usefull and
    more portable. I like the SANdisk because it has its own screen/file
    navigation plus FM radio, but it requires a usb CABLE. Some of them
    have a standard usb connector ON THEM like a memory stick, but are also
    MP3/wmv players. The 1GB ones are only like 100 bucks and 1 gb is way
    more music than you can listen to in a day. Put your MP3s on your
    100GB hard drive you already have in your pc and xfer the hours of
    listening you want, plus it will carry pc files i.e. word/excell
    documents, video files etc, which is awesome if you're going to school.

    But yeah, other than shying away from any APPLE crap, I do think these
    things are the coolest things since sliced bread. Those and P2P file
    sharing. I used to dump 50-100 bucks a month on used cds @ the record
    store, but now I can't even remember the last CD I actually BOUGHT.
    And now with these flash players, the player doesn't have to be as big
    as a cd to go with you to play the tunes. You may also look into the
    noise cancelling headphones they WORK! They are awesomely better than
    standard headphones. . . .

  9. x1134x

    x1134x Guest

    If you have an apple fixation, the ipod shuffle would probably be
    better suited to OT use than the nano.

  10. x1134x

    x1134x Guest

    The thing that gets MY goat is: How come when i was a freshman in
    highschool I bought a laptop pc for 1400 bucks, Pentium one, 133MHz.
    16MB ram. I thought it was awesome. Now it's not worth 10 dollars.
    last year I bought a p4 3.2GHz Hyperthreading, 512MB of 533Mhz ram for
    350 on ebay. Now how can the technology get THAT much better AND that
    much CHEAPER, yet a '69 corvette with a 427 sold off the showroom floor
    in '69 for 3500, now you can't get a vette for less than 50,000. Same
    thing is true for trucks etc. Why such a difference between the two
    products? One gets way better and way cheaper, the other gets a little
    better, yet costs WAY more. Something tells me it has more to do with
    LABOR UNIONS or the lack thereof rather than anything else.

  11. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    x1134x wrote:
    > Still-baffled @ why you need 4GB?

    I have an e-music catalog of 14,000 song titles and growing. I can
    easily fill the 4GB drive with riding tunes. Then I can create
    different playlists for each day. I wouldn't have to listen to the same
    song again for a month.

    > But yeah, other than shying away from any APPLE crap, I do think these
    > things are the coolest things since sliced bread. Those and P2P file
    > sharing. I used to dump 50-100 bucks a month on used cds @ the record
    > store, but now I can't even remember the last CD I actually BOUGHT.
    > And now with these flash players, the player doesn't have to be as big
    > as a cd to go with you to play the tunes. You may also look into the
    > noise cancelling headphones they WORK! They are awesomely better than
    > standard headphones. . . .

    Did I mention I consult for the RIAA? Just kidding, but you shouldn;t
    go around screaming you didn't pay for the music. Musicians work hard
    to create that work. I know the record industry gouges and the artists
    make nothing from a CD, but without it they couldn't support a tour
    (where they make their money). This is why I like iTunes. I can get
    the titles I want without having to buy the nine other sucky tunes on
    the CD.

    I have the second generation Bose NC headset and Seindheiser's folding
    NC headset. I think both are equally great, but the seindheiser is much
    more portable. On the bike I use the buds, because I need to hear
    what's around me.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  12. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > So I wanted to get something for all the lonely road rides I do (not
    > trails). I have a 60GB iPod, but it's too big and clunky for riding. I
    > picked up an iPod Nano today. Does anyone else think this is the
    > coolest, "how'd they do that" technology out there?

    They do look pretty slick. I find it interesting they used the name Nano
    when Creative already has a player called that (with an FM tuner built
    in). Seems like lawsuit fodder to me.

    I made myself a 80 GB Creative Zen Xtra with an eBay Zen 30 GB that was
    not working ($30) and a fresh 80 GB hard drive a coworker gave me
    super-cheap. You can't even buy a 80 GB player from Creative or Apple
    and I cobbled one together for under $100.

    I also made myself a 1 GB flash player using an eBay Creative MuVo^2
    shell that had it's 4 GB microdrive removed (when the players were
    cheaper than microdrives, people bought the players and removed the
    drives which left a lot of driveless cheap player shells available).
    Then I just put in a 1 GB Sandisk CF card. That's my "On the go" player
    which also doubles as a USB mass storage device. Then I can keep my
    whole ~10,200 track library on the XTra for use in the office, car, or
    wherever that isn't too rough for a hard drive.

    > What bugs me is they can make something so small that plays 1000 songs,
    > yet can't make am affordable car that gets 1000 miles to the gallon.

    You're joking, right? Those kinds of arguments make anyone familiar with
    scientific theory just cringe.
    "If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they cure hemorroids?"

    > Anyway, it's a cool toy!

    Yep.

    Matt

  13. BB

    BB Guest

    On 11 Sep 2005 21:11:41 -0700, x1134x wrote:
    > If you have an apple fixation, the ipod shuffle would probably be
    > better suited to OT use than the nano.

    "OT" means "off topic", i.e. off-topic for this newsgroup.

    The shuffle would drive me nuts. We have a little iRiver flash player, and
    my wife & I use the screen a fair amount. Its the only way we could
    separate out our music.

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  14. x1134x

    x1134x Guest

    >Musicians work hard to create that work.

    I would agree with you up to a point, and that point is like 1992.
    After that, whether they worked hard or not, all they made was crap.
    Alot of the songs I download are not even available on other media now.

    >I know the record industry gouges and the artists make nothing from a CD

    So I'm only ripping off the rich, I feel like robin hood. lol. Also
    there is the same arguement about copying software, and the "losses" of
    revenue. These are WAY over inflated. Think of the sample platters at
    the grocery store. You're NEVER going to actually buy the new special
    vienna sausages, but you will eat ONE if its FREE. Yet the store keeps
    giving them away, they must sell the sausages somehow. . . the same
    could be said for music. The record company didn't LOSE any money when
    i downloaded the song, I never downloaded MONEY. And if it wasn't
    there on a sample platter for FREE, I WOULD BY NO MEANS BUY the cd, I
    would go without. Therefore, they have lost nothing. But if they let
    me sample it for free, (download a song) My palate might be inticed
    enought to say, PAY TO GO TO THEIR CONCERT, or even break down and buy
    the cd to hear more songs by the artist.

    >but without it they couldn't support a tour (where they make their money).

    Hmm 30,000 screaming fans, @ 50-100 bucks a pop generates 1.5 to 2
    million dollars! I think the concerts are self-sufficient, and do not
    need cd sales to support them. If I could go to a concert for 5 bucks
    and the cd sales actually DID pay for putting on the show, then I could
    see the value in buying the cds.

    What I find hilarious is that the last CD I bought, and the only band I
    ever buy new cds from is the napster-suing Metallica. I love the band
    and MUST own the cds, and associated artwork. Other bands, I just want
    the songs.

  15. x1134x

    x1134x Guest

    >"OT" means "off topic", i.e. off-topic for this newsgroup.

    thought it meant "ON TRAIL" my mistake

  16. x1134x

    x1134x Guest

    how do you play songs in your car via USB? do you have a BMW or
    something?

  17. "x1134x" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The thing that gets MY goat is: How come when i was a freshman in
    > highschool I bought a laptop pc for 1400 bucks, Pentium one, 133MHz.
    > 16MB ram. I thought it was awesome. Now it's not worth 10 dollars.
    > last year I bought a p4 3.2GHz Hyperthreading, 512MB of 533Mhz ram for
    > 350 on ebay. Now how can the technology get THAT much better AND that
    > much CHEAPER, yet a '69 corvette with a 427 sold off the showroom floor
    > in '69 for 3500, now you can't get a vette for less than 50,000. Same
    > thing is true for trucks etc. Why such a difference between the two
    > products? One gets way better and way cheaper, the other gets a little
    > better, yet costs WAY more. Something tells me it has more to do with
    > LABOR UNIONS or the lack thereof rather than anything else.

    Not at all. It's the raw cost of materials and scale of economy. We do a
    lot more computers now than we did back then, and cars are made up of a lot
    of shit (3000 lbs), whereas computers have 5-7 pounds of actual material.
    You're also comparing about 10 years versus 40 years... factor in lots and
    lots and lots of inflation. And don't worry about your labor union
    conspiracy theory....

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  18. BB

    BB Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:44:15 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > Did I mention I consult for the RIAA? Just kidding, but you shouldn;t
    > go around screaming you didn't pay for the music. Musicians work hard
    > to create that work.

    Yeah, and besides, all that rationalization of "why I do it" is just
    getting old. We know that why they do it is usually because they just
    don't want to pay for it. There will be some who download just to "see if
    they like it" then buy the music, but that's a minority.

    > I know the record industry gouges and the artists
    > make nothing from a CD, but without it they couldn't support a tour
    > (where they make their money).

    There are a lot of independent labels that don't gouge their artists. And
    some of the music these artists are producing is great! You can often buy
    direct from the label or the artist, and eliminate the retail middleman
    altogether (not that Wal-Mart would ever carry any music that wasn't
    pushed by the RIAA anyway). Concerts and CDs are typically about $10. You
    even get thank-you e-mails from the band sometimes. :) Free MP3 samples
    are usually available online.

    > This is why I like iTunes. I can get
    > the titles I want without having to buy the nine other sucky tunes on
    > the CD.

    Well, you'd better hope you never want anything besides an iPod...ever.
    That's all that music will work with. I refuse to buy music that is
    crippled with DRM.

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  19. BB

    BB Guest

    On 12 Sep 2005 11:30:49 -0700, x1134x wrote:
    >>Musicians work hard to create that work.

    > I would agree with you up to a point, and that point is like 1992.
    > After that, whether they worked hard or not, all they made was crap.

    You really need to take a look at the world outside of Wal-Mart.

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  20. Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > x1134x wrote:
    >> Still-baffled @ why you need 4GB?

    > I have an e-music catalog of 14,000 song titles and growing. I can easily
    > fill the 4GB drive with riding tunes. Then I can create different
    > playlists for each day. I wouldn't have to listen to the same song again
    > for a month.
    >

    >> But yeah, other than shying away from any APPLE crap, I do think these
    >> things are the coolest things since sliced bread. Those and P2P file
    >> sharing. I used to dump 50-100 bucks a month on used cds @ the record
    >> store, but now I can't even remember the last CD I actually BOUGHT.
    >> And now with these flash players, the player doesn't have to be as big
    >> as a cd to go with you to play the tunes. You may also look into the
    >> noise cancelling headphones they WORK! They are awesomely better than
    >> standard headphones. . . .

    > Did I mention I consult for the RIAA? Just kidding, but you shouldn;t go
    > around screaming you didn't pay for the music. Musicians work hard to
    > create that work. I know the record industry gouges and the artists make
    > nothing from a CD, but without it they couldn't support a tour (where they
    > make their money). This is why I like iTunes. I can get the titles I
    > want without having to buy the nine other sucky tunes on the CD.
    >
    > I have the second generation Bose NC headset and Seindheiser's folding NC
    > headset. I think both are equally great, but the seindheiser is much more
    > portable. On the bike I use the buds, because I need to hear what's
    > around me.
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

    My choice would be the Sony HD5 MP3 player. You get a choice of 20 or 30Gb
    models (go for 30Gb - good value for money!), capacity for up to 13.000
    songs using Sony's Atrac+ compression (20Gb version), it's truly compact,
    beats all the competition hands down for battery life with 40 hours, and it
    has a disc protection system whereby if you drop it the hard disc shuts off
    before it hits the floor!

    If you do go for it do some web research on the headphones though because
    the stock ones are not great, there are a few forums where recommendations
    have been made. Also, here in Europe the bureaucrats have forced Sony to put
    a volume limiter on the machine. I'm not sure whether that applies to models
    sold in the US. But there is an easy fix for it that you do using the
    service menus in the machine. Good deals come up on eBay fairly regularly.

    --
    Ian