OT nasty computer noise

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by The Reid, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    the time.

    Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?

    One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    sensible?
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

    Tags:

  2. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    > couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    > the time.
    >
    > Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    >
    > One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    > sensible?

    Fans first to check probable just needs cleaning hopefully.

    JS

  3. On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:23:16 +0000, The Reid <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    |come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    |couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    |the time.
    |
    |Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    |
    |One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    |sensible?

    Probably the Hard Disk is on its way out.
    Make sure you keep your backups up to date.
    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are

  4. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, The Reid
    <[email protected]> writes
    >come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    >couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    >the time.
    >
    >Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    >
    >One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    >sensible?

    This sounds like the usual "PSU fan on the verge of failing" syndrome.
    IME the PSU fans only have an active life of a couple years, partly
    because they are so cheaply made, partly because they are on for long
    periods of time and partly because they attract a lot of dust. You could
    try cleaning it, but I don't think it will do much good as it sounds
    like the bearings are on the way out. I've lost count of the number of
    PSUs I've had to replace because of this. In fact, my present PSU is
    becoming noisy at turn-on, too, and I expect to have to replace that
    before long.

    Sadly, computer PSUs are not intended to be serviced. You just chuck it
    away and buy a new one.

    As to whether the noise is coming from a hard-drive, I suppose it's
    possible, but I would expect you to be experiencing software errors -
    either failure to boot or random crashes when running.
    --
    Chris Hill

  5. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
    wonderful person The Reid <[email protected]> said
    >come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    >couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    >the time.
    >
    >Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    >
    >One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    >sensible?

    I doubt it's a (usable) disk drive - possible but unlikely. By the
    time you are out of balance enough for a detectable hum/vibration you'd
    probably have destroyed the heads. Much more likely to be a fan - try
    stopping them one at a time for 10 seconds or so by =carefully= applying
    pressure to the hub (NOT by sticking your finger in the blades!). You'll
    probably not be able to get at the one(s) in the PSU. Depending on the
    type/age of the PC you'll have CPU fan, motherboard fan, case fan(s),
    graphics card fan, to choose from.

    Replacement is not difficult, if you can get the right size/power fan
    (the 40mm motherboard ones are hardest .. most of the others are far
    more common).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

  6. The Reid wrote:

    > come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    > couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    > the time.

    Check your air filter for peanuts.

    Or was that in another newsgroup ?

    Chris

  7. Surfer!

    Surfer! Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
    >wonderful person The Reid <[email protected]> said
    >>come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    >>couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    >>the time.
    >>
    >>Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    >>
    >>One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    >>sensible?

    >I doubt it's a (usable) disk drive - possible but unlikely. By the
    >time you are out of balance enough for a detectable hum/vibration you'd
    >probably have destroyed the heads. Much more likely to be a fan - try
    >stopping them one at a time for 10 seconds or so by =carefully=
    >applying pressure to the hub (NOT by sticking your finger in the
    >blades!). You'll probably not be able to get at the one(s) in the PSU.
    >Depending on the type/age of the PC you'll have CPU fan, motherboard
    >fan, case fan(s), graphics card fan, to choose from.
    >
    >Replacement is not difficult, if you can get the right size/power fan
    >(the 40mm motherboard ones are hardest .. most of the others are far
    >more common).

    Some motherboards have fans on the Northbridge and sometimes they can be
    replaced with heatsinks instead of a new fan. If you have a dodgy
    Northbridge fan and can replace it that way, I'd recommend doing so.

    See:

    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/videonorthbridge/zm-nb

    I think you might get the bits cheaper elsewhere though.

    --
    Surfer!
    Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

  8. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Chris Gilbert

    >Or was that in another newsgroup ?

    must have been, I'm going for the fan option!
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  9. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Surfer! wrote:

    > Some motherboards have fans on the Northbridge and sometimes they can be
    > replaced with heatsinks instead of a new fan. If you have a dodgy
    > Northbridge fan and can replace it that way, I'd recommend doing so.

    Is that magnetic Northbridge, or grid Northbridge?

    druidh

  10. On 22 Feb 2006 06:05:42 -0800, "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |Surfer! wrote:
    |

    |> Some motherboards have fans on the Northbridge and sometimes they can be
    |> replaced with heatsinks instead of a new fan. If you have a dodgy
    |> Northbridge fan and can replace it that way, I'd recommend doing so.
    |>

    |Is that magnetic Northbridge, or grid Northbridge?

    Geographic Northbridge ;-)
    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
    the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
    Fundamental Human rights.

  11. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    The Reid wrote:
    > come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    > couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    > the time.
    >
    > Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    >
    > One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    > sensible?

    I'd say the CPU fan is favourite.

    You may not need to replace it, the problem is most likely the
    bearing lubrication has dried up. Something very simple and cheap
    to fix.

    Clean the fan then gently peel off the sticker in the centre of
    the fan. Put a small blob of good old Vaseline on the bearing and
    replace the sticker.

    I have an 10 year old PC running 24/7 under my desk doing
    sterling service as a document server. I've done the above repair
    twice now in the years it has been running and the fan still runs
    at full speed and quietly once serviced.

    It might seem like a mean and cheeseparing repair when fans are
    so cheap but I find it quicker and easier than buying and fitting
    a new one and it works!

    --
    Regards

    Nick

  12. The Reid wrote:

    > come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    > couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    > the time.

    Yeah, I get that a lot, periodically. Going through a quiet period at the
    moment though (recently disconnected the little fan in the removable hard
    drive caddy that was driving me nuts!).

    > Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?

    Fan, usually the power supply, as others have said. Just replace it, easy
    to do.

    > One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    > sensible?

    But then again, knowing how old your computer probably is, you never know!
    What size hard drive is it, one of those huge 500 megabyte jobs? Using that
    modern FAT16 file system? ;-)

    Paul

  13. mick

    mick Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:45:39 +0000, Chris Hill burbled:

    <snip>
    > In fact, my present PSU is becoming noisy at
    > turn-on, too, and I expect to have to replace that before long.
    >
    > Sadly, computer PSUs are not intended to be serviced. You just chuck it
    > away and buy a new one.

    <snip>

    I have changed the fans in several PSUs over the years. They are usually
    quite easy to do and usually just a normal 12v fan. Sometimes the
    connections are soldered to the board. In those cases I have just cut the
    old fan wires out and used the old twist&tape technique to connect the new
    wires onto the remaining ends. Make sure you cable-tie the fan leads away
    from the heatsinks before reassembling.

    I had an old computer that I used as a router for quite a while. I
    quietened the PSU fan using the above technique, but connecting the black
    wire to +5, so running the fan on 7V instead of 12v to make it a lot
    quieter (and probably hotter, but I wasn't bothered about that!).

    --
    Mick
    (no M$ software on here... :) )

  14. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    I'd concur with the other thread posters - most likely the fan on the power
    supply - expect 12-18 mth life normally.
    Normal fault- cheap bearings used on the fan. They can be fixed, but for the
    PSU replacement cost (approx £20 for a decent one) it's not worth the
    hassle/worry.
    Swopping it out is a 10-20 min job.

    Normal symptoms - rising/falling noise that comes and goes. Don't leave it
    too long though - normally they would just fail, but i had one go over a few
    months and it killed the hard drive as well. Usual signs on this - rising
    temperatures on the cpu and motherboard (use the free utility SiSoftware
    Sandra to monitor temps it if you're concerned -
    http://www.sisoftware.net/ )

    Oh - and if you do buy a new one. don't leave it lying around. I only made
    that mistake once & the new one lasted 2 mths
    ;-(

    "The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    > couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    > the time.
    >
    > Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?
    >
    > One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    > sensible?
    > --
    > Mike Reid
    > Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this
    > site
    > Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all,
    > it's a spamtrap

  15. Robert Hill

    Robert Hill Guest

    What? Does that mean my Oric Computer that utilises a mono tape cassette
    recorder to play ping pong has been superseded? Must nip down to Rumbelows
    to see if they have they can get this. Actually, I've still got some Marconi
    valves on back order, so hopefully they will have been delivered by now.

    R.Hill Esq.

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The Reid wrote:
    >
    >> come back from hols and started PC, nasty wailing hum for a
    >> couple of minutes, then stopped, and I notice its vibrating all
    >> the time.

    > Yeah, I get that a lot, periodically. Going through a quiet period at the
    > moment though (recently disconnected the little fan in the removable hard
    > drive caddy that was driving me nuts!).
    >
    >> Must be a moving part. Fan or a disk drive?

    > Fan, usually the power supply, as others have said. Just replace it, easy
    > to do.
    >
    >> One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    >> sensible?

    > But then again, knowing how old your computer probably is, you never know!
    > What size hard drive is it, one of those huge 500 megabyte jobs? Using
    > that modern FAT16 file system? ;-)
    >
    > Paul

  16. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Paul Saunders

    Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.

    >Fan, usually the power supply, as others have said. Just replace it, easy
    >to do.

    I'll look in a catalogue and probably come back with questions!

    >> One HD is very old, I could try and disconect it as a test. Sound
    >> sensible?

    >But then again, knowing how old your computer probably is, you never know!
    >What size hard drive is it, one of those huge 500 megabyte jobs? Using that
    >modern FAT16 file system? ;-)

    The oldest one is a hardcard from the previous machine in 32
    MBtye partitions, the newest is a USB multi gigabytes one full of
    digital photos :)
    Just been to northern Spain, took 200 photos at 20Mbytes, copied
    to TIFFs to work on, main disk full !
    I'm now up to drive M, anybody got to Z? :)
    --

  17. The Reid wrote:

    > The oldest one is a hardcard from the previous machine in 32
    > MBtye partitions,

    Oh dear, oh dear... <shakes head in despair>

    > the newest is a USB multi gigabytes one full of
    > digital photos :)

    Multi? You mean you've got more than 1 gigabyte? <shock>

    > Just been to northern Spain, took 200 photos at 20Mbytes, copied
    > to TIFFs to work on, main disk full !

    Good grief! Get yourself a decent hard drive man!

    Look, 300gig drive - £83 - order it now!
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MAX-P8L30

    > I'm now up to drive M, anybody got to Z? :)

    I used to be like that, but now I've stopped bothering, so I just have one
    partition per drive. Currently I have 840 gig on four drives. Nearly full
    again though, so now I need two more removable 300 gig drives. Should last
    me a little while longer, until the 1 terabyte drives come down in price.

    Paul

  18. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Paul Saunders

    >Look, 300gig drive - £83 - order it now!
    >http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MAX-P8L30
    >
    >> I'm now up to drive M, anybody got to Z? :)

    >I used to be like that, but now I've stopped bothering, so I just have one
    >partition per drive. Currently I have 840 gig on four drives. Nearly full
    >again though, so now I need two more removable 300 gig drives. Should last
    >me a little while longer, until the 1 terabyte drives come down in price.

    I only have one partition per drive now but the old drive is
    d,e,f,g, the one in the box is C, floppy is A, CDs I,J,K. L is a
    memory card reader, M is a big USB that I couldnt scandisk till I
    got more memory.

    Where have you got all that stuff backed up?

    PS the box has stopped vibrating and making noise, thats either
    good or very bad!
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  19. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    The Reid wrote:
    > Following up to Paul Saunders
    >

    >>Look, 300gig drive - £83 - order it now!
    >>http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MAX-P8L30
    >>

    >>>I'm now up to drive M, anybody got to Z? :)

    >>I used to be like that, but now I've stopped bothering, so I just have one
    >>partition per drive. Currently I have 840 gig on four drives. Nearly full
    >>again though, so now I need two more removable 300 gig drives. Should last
    >>me a little while longer, until the 1 terabyte drives come down in price.

    > I only have one partition per drive now but the old drive is
    > d,e,f,g, the one in the box is C, floppy is A, CDs I,J,K. L is a
    > memory card reader, M is a big USB that I couldnt scandisk till I
    > got more memory.
    >
    > Where have you got all that stuff backed up?
    >
    > PS the box has stopped vibrating and making noise, thats either
    > good or very bad!

    That's often the case with fan noise, if they've been off for a
    while they squeal when you start them up again but after a while
    they settle down. Lubricate the bearing and it'll be fine.

    --
    Regards

    Nick

  20. Paul Saunders wrote:

    > I used to be like that, but now I've stopped bothering, so I just have one
    > partition per drive. Currently I have 840 gig on four drives. Nearly full
    > again though, so now I need two more removable 300 gig drives. Should last
    > me a little while longer, until the 1 terabyte drives come down in price.

    Have you given any thought as to how on earth you back up 1TB of data
    with what's available for the average PC?
    1TB will take about 218 x 4.7GB DVD's, 1500 x 700MB CD-R's, or about
    728,000 x 1.44MB floppy disks :)

    Scary stuff! It's not that long ago (well, about 20 yrs!) when I was
    lucky enough to get one of the first new hard drives for my pc at work,
    size of a house brick, with a *massive* 10MB of storage, and I had to
    lose one of my *two* 5.25" floppy drives to make it fit.
    General comments along the lines of 'what on earth do you want that for?
    You'll never, ever fill 10MB as long as you work here, etc. etc.' were
    uttered by all who came to see how much quicker it was than their floppy
    drives. :)

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum