OT naturally - home remedies for an earache?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by AlleyGator, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    have no idea.

    Tags:

  2. On Thu 24 Mar 2005 05:34:13p, AlleyGator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    > kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    > gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    > Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > have no idea.

    My mom always used a few drops of warmed "sweet oil" which is olive oil.
    It's very comforting.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    [email protected] (AlleyGator) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because

    she
    > has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as

    alittle
    > kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-

    practitioner
    > gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    > Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > have no idea.

    After swimming we'd get earfulls of hydrogen peroxide to prevent
    swimmer's ear (ache).

    Andy

    --
    "If you can't do it naturally, then fake it."
    - Alfred Hitchcock

  4. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:34:13 GMT, [email protected]
    (AlleyGator) wrote:

    >My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    >has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    >kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    >Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    >gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    >Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    >just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    >you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    >Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    >I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    >have no idea.

    This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but I know it works:
    slice an onion in half and heat it in a microwave until it's hot
    enough for the heat to be felt (but not burned) through a cloth, such
    as a washcloth or old rag. Hold it against her ear...I cannot recall
    what gas is released, but it worked on my kids when they were small.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  5. Andy <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >After swimming we'd get earfulls of hydrogen peroxide to prevent
    >swimmer's ear (ache).

    Mom always used hydrogen peroxide to remove excess earwax (or sweet
    potatoes, as she called it). I wouldn't recommend it for an infected ear,
    though. On a healthy ear, it just bubbles and dissolves wax. I think it
    would hurt if your ear was infected.

    Carol

  6. In article <[email protected]>, x-no-archive: yes
    wrote:

    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache, w(snip)
    > For some reason, I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How
    > this could help, I have no idea.

    Me, neither but SIL's mom used to do it to him and he says it worked.
    My mom used sweet oil and heat, I think. When my son had them, I took
    him to the doc -- ear infections were his illness of choice as a sprout.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Terry Pulliam
    Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
    (snip)
    > This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous,

    Nah. Y'think?

    > but I know it works: slice an onion in half and heat it in a
    > microwave until it's hot enough for the heat to be felt (but not
    > burned) through a cloth, such as a washcloth or old rag. Hold it
    > against her ear...I cannot recall what gas is released, but it worked
    > on my kids when they were small.

    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    Do you dress that with oil and vinegar? <g> And where'd YOU learn the
    onion trick? From the family surgeon?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

  8. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, x-no-archive: yes
    > wrote:
    >

    >>My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    >>has an earache, w(snip)
    >>For some reason, I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How
    >>this could help, I have no idea.

    > Me, neither but SIL's mom used to do it to him and he says it worked.
    > My mom used sweet oil and heat, I think. When my son had them, I took
    > him to the doc -- ear infections were his illness of choice as a sprout.

    My kids, too, at least once or twice a winter from
    birth to about age 10. If it wasn't ears, it was
    bronchitis. Amoxycillin was familiarly known as
    "The Pink Stuff" in our household. I can only
    remember once that they were given numbing ear
    drops as well as the antibiotic.

    gloria p

  9. Bell Jar

    Bell Jar Guest

    I hope by now it has calmed down :( ear pain is no fun :(
    There are numbing drops that your doc can call in. My 2 year old just went
    thru a bout of ear infections. She is an amazing baby ... only cries when
    she is hurting. She SCREAMED for 14 hours.
    3 min after putting the numbing drops in her ear ... she was fine. She also
    took an antibiotic.
    If your DD ears are extremely painful take her to the ER, ears are nothing
    to mess with, she could have permeant hearing loss due to an infection that
    goes untreated or if there is a delay in treatment. I know I do.

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    > kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    > gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    > Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > have no idea.

  10. Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
    so great) words of knowledge:

    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    > kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    > gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    > Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > have no idea.

    I remember having some ear infections as a kid and my folks blowing
    smoke in my ear. My late mother (who was an RN) told me that the heat
    from the smoke helped soften the wax buildup and the nicotine in the
    smoke acted as an anesthetic to help relieve the pain.

  11. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    > kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    > gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    > Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > have no idea.

    I am sure you're on the way to a doctor by now -

    Many years ago we were coming back from a vacation and one of the girls
    (very little) had an ear ache. She was in so much pain that she was just
    writhing. At that time Sunday night there were just no 24 hour pharmacies
    within a reasonable distance. We managed to get the on-call physician and
    he asked us what we had in the cupboard (Medicines) As it turned out we had
    come prescription cough syrup containing a small amount of codeine. A few
    Tablespoons later (I don't remember the exact dose) and a few minutes she
    was asleep. By the morning the drum had popped and we were able to get her
    to the doctors without any pain.

    Dimitri

    Dimitri.

  12. --

    -- Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:34:13 GMT, [email protected]
    > (AlleyGator) wrote:
    >
    > >My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > >has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    > >kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > >Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    > >gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > >Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > >just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > >you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.
    > >Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > >I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > >have no idea.

    > This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but I know it works:
    > slice an onion in half and heat it in a microwave until it's hot
    > enough for the heat to be felt (but not burned) through a cloth, such
    > as a washcloth or old rag. Hold it against her ear...I cannot recall
    > what gas is released, but it worked on my kids when they were small.

    Many ear aches are caused by blockage of the eustachian tube, which runs
    from the ear and drains into the throat.
    I forget the exact name of the chemical in the onion that causes fluid to
    be created in epithelial tissue, but heating it would definitely release
    more and increase its activity.
    Actually, it makes perfect sense if the earache is from a plugged
    eustachian tube.

    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >

    > "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    > old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    > waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
    >
    > -- Duncan Hines
    >
    > To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

  13. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    AlleyGator <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache, which I don't even remember her ever having as alittle
    > kid. She's almost never sick, so she doesn't handle this stuff well.
    > Since the doctors are all closed, a friend who is a nurse-practitioner
    > gave us a 3-day regimen of some antibiotic and the wife went to
    > Walgreens to get something they call "sweet oil" which I figure is
    > just glycerine. That, plus a dose of ibuprofen, I figure is the best
    > you can do. And the ole' heating pad on the head, of course.

    The first rule in such cases is not to post asking for a medical advice
    in a Usenet newsgroup. You have no idea of the qualifications, or lack
    thereof, of the advice-givers. This applies to what follows, too. Go
    to a doctor instead, or, if none is available, to an ER of your local
    hospital.

    That said, and assuming it is otitis media (just because it is fairly
    common), some kind of penicillin is usually indicated. What kind of
    antibiotic did you get? Antibiotics should never be prescribed by
    anyone but a doctor. Also, nose drops (something with xylometazoline or
    similar) can be helpful. Ibuprofen can be helpful, too, as can that
    heating pad (over the ear, not just on the head). Never put anything
    *in* the ear, as long as you are not sure there is no perforation of the
    ear drum.

    ObFood: Baked tomatoes with parsley and garlic, from _The Cuisine of the
    Sun_ by Mireille Johnston.

    Victor

    Tomates Provençale
    Baked Tomatoes with Parsley and Garlic

    Most _tomates provençale- served in American restaurants are burnt on
    the outside and watery and soggy on the inside. In Provence they are
    prepared quite differently. In the traditional recipe the tomatoes are
    cooked on top of the stove _before being baked_, so that all their
    excess water is cooked away and they must look like a _vitrail_
    (stained glass window). This dish is sometimes eaten cold in Nice, but
    I prefer it warm.

    For 6 people:

    6 firm tomatoes, cut in half
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (preferably home-made)
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup minced parsley

    Preheat the oven to 375°F.

    Put the tomato halves upside down on paper towels and drain the excess
    juice.

    Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the
    tomato halves and cook them - six halves at a time - cut side down for 5
    minutes over a medium flame. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and
    carefully turn them over with a spatula. Cook for 3 minutes, then
    delicately remove the tomatoes with a spatula and put into an oiled
    baking dish. This can be done in advance to this point.

    Just before serving, sprinkle the tomatoes with bread crumbs, salt,
    pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bake for 10 minutes.
    Sprinkle with garlic and parsley and serve immediately.

  14. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My daughter is in her mid-teens, and has tears in her eyes because she
    > has an earache,

    (snippage)
    > Honestly, I don't ever remember having this myself. For some reason,
    > I think they used to blow smoke in your ear. How this could help, I
    > have no idea.

    I remember only one earache as a child, and mom did blow smoke in my ear. I
    can only assume they thought it was warm and would be soothing. Don't
    remember that it helped any. I also assume that it was otitis media
    (middle ear infection) because I don't remember being in incredible pain.
    OTOH, I experienced otitis externa (swimmer's ear) about 5 years ago, and
    I'd sooner have another baby than experience that again. The pain was
    excruciating, I could barely swallow without crying so eating was out of the
    question. Even talking was painful. After about 36 hours on antibiotics
    (drops and oral) the pain subsided and things went back to normal.

    Gabby

  15. On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:30:20 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Terry Pulliam
    >Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >> This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous,

    >Nah. Y'think?
    >
    >> but I know it works: slice an onion in half and heat it in a
    >> microwave until it's hot enough for the heat to be felt (but not
    >> burned) through a cloth, such as a washcloth or old rag. Hold it
    >> against her ear...I cannot recall what gas is released, but it worked
    >> on my kids when they were small.

    >Do you dress that with oil and vinegar? <g> And where'd YOU learn the
    >onion trick? From the family surgeon?

    HA! Not likely! No, this came to me from the family surgeon's wife,
    the MIL, who was a nurse and had some way cool and nifty natural home
    remedies.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  16. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Gabby wrote:

    > I remember only one earache as a child, and mom did blow smoke in my ear. I
    > can only assume they thought it was warm and would be soothing. Don't
    > remember that it helped any. I also assume that it was otitis media
    > (middle ear infection) because I don't remember being in incredible pain.
    > OTOH, I experienced otitis externa (swimmer's ear) about 5 years ago, and
    > I'd sooner have another baby than experience that again. The pain was
    > excruciating, I could barely swallow without crying so eating was out of the
    > question. Even talking was painful. After about 36 hours on antibiotics
    > (drops and oral) the pain subsided and things went back to normal.
    >
    > Gabby

    As an adult I was hospitalized for *seven* days
    with Otitis Externa (swimmers ear!) that was so
    bad ...well... lets just say I've given birth
    naturally and it didn't hurt near as much as that
    ear did. The daily lavages did me in. Thank god
    for Demerol. Lordie the memory still scares me.
    Goomba

  17. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >HA! Not likely! No, this came to me from the family surgeon's wife,
    >the MIL, who was a nurse and had some way cool and nifty natural home
    >remedies.

    This the main reason I posed the question - the ache is better as of
    today. I just wanted to see some of the good common-sense, but weird
    sounding stuff that this gang come up with. I seem to remember a lot
    of strange but useful remedies mentioned. Home remedies, plus a lot
    of unusual uses for everyday stuff. Sometimes I think our
    grandparents (and older) had a lot of good knowledge that many, like
    me, would like to get back. BTW, these suggestions will be pulled
    back out of the hat if the problem ever comes up again.