OT: Need info on Dallas

Jmcquown

Guest
I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to finalize
hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to suggest
Homestead Studio Suites, which he has experienced from a cook-
in or two. Well, there are 7 of them scattered around
Dallas. Anyone familiar with the "North Addison/Tollway"
area? We don't want to be right by the airport but don't
want to be right downtown, either due to some parking
constrictions.

Anyone got any other suggestions? We do want a suite with a
kitchen. Price really isn't a factor but since he's paying
for the trip I'm trying to be frugal and still find a nice
place (which is probably an oxymoron).

Thanks!

Jill

Addison is about 10-15 miles north of Dallas, but is quite a
busy area-lots of chain restaurants, hotels, etc. If you can
get one on Hwy 35N or 75N, but south of 635(another very
congested area), you will be in good shape. There is nothing
by the airport, so you don't want to be there. The
North/Park Central location is probably your best bet.

Frank

For food, try dfw.eats, and www.chowhounds.com

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:34:55 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to
> finalize hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to
> suggest Homestead Studio Suites, which he has experienced
> from a cook-in or two. Well, there are 7 of them scattered
> around Dallas. Anyone familiar with the "North
> Addison/Tollway" area? We don't want to be right by the
> airport but don't want to be right downtown, either due to
> some parking constrictions.
>
> Anyone got any other suggestions? We do want a suite with
> a kitchen. Price really isn't a factor but since he's
> paying for the trip I'm trying to be frugal and still find
> a nice place (which is probably an oxymoron).

One caution about the Homestead Suites... They do
have a two-burner stove, full-sized fridge and
microwave, but no oven. Cookware provided is
usually minimal and probably not the quality you're
used to. But the rooms are generally inexpensive,
clean, safe and functional. Nothing fancy, think
"Days Inn" or something like that.

Another alternative I saw was Bradford Suites, 10
minutes from the downtown area. It's got a fully
equipped kitchen, and several types of suites
ranging from a more studio apartment look, to one
with a separate bedroom and livingroom space. It
looks slightly fancier than Homestead, and prices
are fancier, too. ;P

http://www.bradfordsuites.com

Of course, if you change your mind about needing a
kitchen, this place looked cute and appropriate:

Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in 1880's,
18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast available
during the week, breakfast buffet on weekends. ;)

http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html

Ariane

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:34:55 -0600, jmcquown
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to
>> finalize hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to
>> suggest Homestead Studio Suites
(snip)
> One caution about the Homestead Suites... They do have a
> two-burner stove, full-sized fridge and microwave, but no
> oven. Cookware provided is usually minimal and probably
> not the quality you're used to. But the rooms are
> generally inexpensive, clean, safe and functional. Nothing
> fancy, think "Days Inn" or something like that.
>
> Another alternative I saw was Bradford Suites, 10
> minutes from the downtown area. It's got a fully
> equipped kitchen, and several types of suites ranging
> from a more studio apartment look, to one with a
> separate bedroom and livingroom space. It looks slightly
> fancier than Homestead, and prices are fancier, too. ;P
>
> http://www.bradfordsuites.com

We discussed it and booked ONE night at the Homestead in
North Addison just to see if/how we like it. We're flexible.
Obviously I'm not expecting professional cooking equipment.

> Of course, if you change your mind about needing a
> kitchen, this place looked cute and appropriate:
>
> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in 1880's,
> 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast available
> during the week, breakfast buffet on weekends. ;)
>
> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
>

> Ariane

Ohhhh! I'll have to mention the Tartan Thistle B&B.

Thanks for the info, Ari!

Jill

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:20:56 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:34:55 -0600, jmcquown
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to
>> finalize hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to
>> suggest Homestead Studio Suites, which he has experienced
>> from a cook-in or two. Well, there are 7 of them
>> scattered around Dallas. Anyone familiar with the "North
>> Addison/Tollway" area? We don't want to be right by the
>> airport but don't want to be right downtown, either due
>> to some parking constrictions.
>>
>> Anyone got any other suggestions? We do want a suite with
>> a kitchen. Price really isn't a factor but since he's
>> paying for the trip I'm trying to be frugal and still
>> find a nice place (which is probably an oxymoron).

I am tagging onto this as I didn't see the original post.

A really nice one is TownePlace Suites by Marriott. They are
lower in price than Residence Inn, but very, very nice.

And they have a full kitchen, including oven, and
dishwasher.

Christine

Ariane Jenkins said:

> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in 1880's,
> 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast available
> during the week, breakfast buffet on weekends. ;)
>
> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
>

> Ariane

Since no one else has asked I will. What is a Scottish
breakfast versus any other breakfast?

--
"There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be
welcomed by a cat." - Tay Hohoff

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:19:24 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> We discussed it and booked ONE night at the Homestead in
> North Addison just to see if/how we like it. We're
> flexible. Obviously I'm not expecting professional cooking
> equipment.

Heh, good, because it's more like the cooking
equipment of someone who doesn't really cook. ;D
Adequate for frying up some bacon and eggs for
breakfast, but I'm not sure I'd want to try
cooking more than the simplest of meals there
with the equipment provided. We've stayed at a
Homestead before during cook-ins, because the
fridge/freeze space was very handy, plus I could
do some prep work before going to Gar's. (We
brought stuff like knives, cutting boards, etc.)
It beats most budget chains in terms of
price/quality, IMO.

>> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in
>> 1880's, 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast
>> available during the week, breakfast buffet on
>> weekends. ;)
>>
>> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
>>

>> Ariane
>
> Ohhhh! I'll have to mention the Tartan Thistle B&B.
>
> Thanks for the info, Ari!

You're welcome, have fun! The site didn't say what
a full Scottish breakfast entailed, but it sounded
interesting.

Ariane

rbinca wrote:
> Ariane Jenkins said:
>
>> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in
>> 1880's, 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast
>> available during the week, breakfast buffet on
>> weekends. ;)
>>
>> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
>>

>> Ariane
>
> Since no one else has asked I will. What is a Scottish
> breakfast versus any other breakfast?

I just sent email to the proprieter to ask the same
question. I've never heard of a Scottish breakfast, and I'm
a 2nd generation Scottish-American. But the property looks
lovely; I adore Victorian homes.

Jill

in article fGN4c.36299$506.24722@fed1read05, rbinca at [email protected]
wrote on 3/13/04 7:33 PM:

> Ariane Jenkins said:
>
>> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in
>> 1880's, 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast
>> available during the week, breakfast buffet on
>> weekends. ;)
>>
>> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
>>

>> Ariane
>
> Since no one else has asked I will. What is a Scottish
> breakfast versus any other breakfast?

Haggis.