OT: Need info on Dallas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmcquown, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to finalize
    hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to suggest
    Homestead Studio Suites, which he has experienced from a cook-
    in or two. Well, there are 7 of them scattered around
    Dallas. Anyone familiar with the "North Addison/Tollway"
    area? We don't want to be right by the airport but don't
    want to be right downtown, either due to some parking
    constrictions.

    Anyone got any other suggestions? We do want a suite with a
    kitchen. Price really isn't a factor but since he's paying
    for the trip I'm trying to be frugal and still find a nice
    place (which is probably an oxymoron).

    Thanks!

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Addison is about 10-15 miles north of Dallas, but is quite a
    busy area-lots of chain restaurants, hotels, etc. If you can
    get one on Hwy 35N or 75N, but south of 635(another very
    congested area), you will be in good shape. There is nothing
    by the airport, so you don't want to be there. The
    North/Park Central location is probably your best bet.

    Frank

    For food, try dfw.eats, and www.chowhounds.com

  3. On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:34:55 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to
    > finalize hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to
    > suggest Homestead Studio Suites, which he has experienced
    > from a cook-in or two. Well, there are 7 of them scattered
    > around Dallas. Anyone familiar with the "North
    > Addison/Tollway" area? We don't want to be right by the
    > airport but don't want to be right downtown, either due to
    > some parking constrictions.
    >
    > Anyone got any other suggestions? We do want a suite with
    > a kitchen. Price really isn't a factor but since he's
    > paying for the trip I'm trying to be frugal and still find
    > a nice place (which is probably an oxymoron).

    One caution about the Homestead Suites... They do
    have a two-burner stove, full-sized fridge and
    microwave, but no oven. Cookware provided is
    usually minimal and probably not the quality you're
    used to. But the rooms are generally inexpensive,
    clean, safe and functional. Nothing fancy, think
    "Days Inn" or something like that.

    Another alternative I saw was Bradford Suites, 10
    minutes from the downtown area. It's got a fully
    equipped kitchen, and several types of suites
    ranging from a more studio apartment look, to one
    with a separate bedroom and livingroom space. It
    looks slightly fancier than Homestead, and prices
    are fancier, too. ;P

    http://www.bradfordsuites.com

    Of course, if you change your mind about needing a
    kitchen, this place looked cute and appropriate:

    Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in 1880's,
    18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast available
    during the week, breakfast buffet on weekends. ;)

    http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html

    Ariane

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Ariane Jenkins wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:34:55 -0600, jmcquown
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to
    >> finalize hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to
    >> suggest Homestead Studio Suites
    (snip)
    > One caution about the Homestead Suites... They do have a
    > two-burner stove, full-sized fridge and microwave, but no
    > oven. Cookware provided is usually minimal and probably
    > not the quality you're used to. But the rooms are
    > generally inexpensive, clean, safe and functional. Nothing
    > fancy, think "Days Inn" or something like that.
    >
    > Another alternative I saw was Bradford Suites, 10
    > minutes from the downtown area. It's got a fully
    > equipped kitchen, and several types of suites ranging
    > from a more studio apartment look, to one with a
    > separate bedroom and livingroom space. It looks slightly
    > fancier than Homestead, and prices are fancier, too. ;P
    >
    > http://www.bradfordsuites.com

    We discussed it and booked ONE night at the Homestead in
    North Addison just to see if/how we like it. We're flexible.
    Obviously I'm not expecting professional cooking equipment.

    > Of course, if you change your mind about needing a
    > kitchen, this place looked cute and appropriate:
    >
    > Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in 1880's,
    > 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast available
    > during the week, breakfast buffet on weekends. ;)
    >
    > http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
    >

    > Ariane

    Ohhhh! I'll have to mention the Tartan Thistle B&B.

    Thanks for the info, Ari!

    Jill

  5. On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:20:56 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:34:55 -0600, jmcquown
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'll be flying into DFW Int'l on 3/30. Am trying to
    >> finalize hotel reservations. Bolivar was kind enough to
    >> suggest Homestead Studio Suites, which he has experienced
    >> from a cook-in or two. Well, there are 7 of them
    >> scattered around Dallas. Anyone familiar with the "North
    >> Addison/Tollway" area? We don't want to be right by the
    >> airport but don't want to be right downtown, either due
    >> to some parking constrictions.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any other suggestions? We do want a suite with
    >> a kitchen. Price really isn't a factor but since he's
    >> paying for the trip I'm trying to be frugal and still
    >> find a nice place (which is probably an oxymoron).

    I am tagging onto this as I didn't see the original post.

    A really nice one is TownePlace Suites by Marriott. They are
    lower in price than Residence Inn, but very, very nice.

    And they have a full kitchen, including oven, and
    dishwasher.

    Christine

  6. Rbinca

    Rbinca Guest

    Ariane Jenkins said:

    > Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in 1880's,
    > 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast available
    > during the week, breakfast buffet on weekends. ;)
    >
    > http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
    >

    > Ariane

    Since no one else has asked I will. What is a Scottish
    breakfast versus any other breakfast?

    --
    "There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be
    welcomed by a cat." - Tay Hohoff

  7. On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:19:24 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We discussed it and booked ONE night at the Homestead in
    > North Addison just to see if/how we like it. We're
    > flexible. Obviously I'm not expecting professional cooking
    > equipment.

    Heh, good, because it's more like the cooking
    equipment of someone who doesn't really cook. ;D
    Adequate for frying up some bacon and eggs for
    breakfast, but I'm not sure I'd want to try
    cooking more than the simplest of meals there
    with the equipment provided. We've stayed at a
    Homestead before during cook-ins, because the
    fridge/freeze space was very handy, plus I could
    do some prep work before going to Gar's. (We
    brought stuff like knives, cutting boards, etc.)
    It beats most budget chains in terms of
    price/quality, IMO.

    >> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in
    >> 1880's, 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast
    >> available during the week, breakfast buffet on
    >> weekends. ;)
    >>
    >> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
    >>

    >> Ariane
    >
    > Ohhhh! I'll have to mention the Tartan Thistle B&B.
    >
    > Thanks for the info, Ari!

    You're welcome, have fun! The site didn't say what
    a full Scottish breakfast entailed, but it sounded
    interesting.

    Ariane

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    rbinca wrote:
    > Ariane Jenkins said:
    >
    >> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in
    >> 1880's, 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast
    >> available during the week, breakfast buffet on
    >> weekends. ;)
    >>
    >> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
    >>

    >> Ariane
    >
    > Since no one else has asked I will. What is a Scottish
    > breakfast versus any other breakfast?

    I just sent email to the proprieter to ask the same
    question. I've never heard of a Scottish breakfast, and I'm
    a 2nd generation Scottish-American. But the property looks
    lovely; I adore Victorian homes.

    Jill

  9. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], rbinca at [email protected]
    wrote on 3/13/04 7:33 PM:

    > Ariane Jenkins said:
    >
    >> Tartan Thistle B&B, large Victorian house built in
    >> 1880's, 18 miles from Dallas, full Scottish breakfast
    >> available during the week, breakfast buffet on
    >> weekends. ;)
    >>
    >> http://www.bbonline.com/tx/tartan/index.html
    >>

    >> Ariane
    >
    > Since no one else has asked I will. What is a Scottish
    > breakfast versus any other breakfast?

    Haggis.