OT: new arrival!

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Congratulations, Myra and Simon. I'm always amazed by how small infants' fingers and toes are.
>
> By my calculation you have about 15 years of relative peace and quiet until the troubles start ;-)

You're not a parent then, James? :)

--
Dave...

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Congratulations to both of you. I'm told the secret for the sleepless nights is to murmur "it's
> your turn" without actually waking up.

Err... They're breast feeding. Maybe Simon is even more talented than Myra's letting on. :)

--
Dave...

chris French <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Eat chocolate !!
>
> A while after Elinor was born Helen started a bit of mild dieting. Elinor's weight gain started to
> slow down. We (us and the HV) decided that there was not enough fat/energy in the BM. The HV
> suggested eating chocolate.

Sue took the occasional bottle of Mackeson when she was feeding Mark and Eleanor. Full of
good stuff.

--
Dave...

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:21:49 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2003 09:42:47 -0800, [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote:
>
>> I am now a proud mother of a little baby girl, Ellen Rose. You can see pictures of her here:
>>
>> http://simon.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/swmpics/2003/baby/
>>

> Congratulations, Myra and Simon. I'm always amazed by how small infants' fingers and toes are.
>
> By my calculation you have about 15 years of relative peace and quiet until the troubles start ;-)

Congratulations, Myra! Although the problems don't appear at 15, it's when they start talking. Don't
make the mistake of talking around her and she'll never cotton on... ;o)

Ian

--
Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

On 19 Mar 2003 00:53:49 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>You're not a parent then, James? :)

No. But I did have two of 'em.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Grats!

panda

news:[email protected]...

Am Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:53:36 +0000 (GMT) schrieb Sandy Morton <[email protected]>:

>In article <[email protected]>, Myra VanInwegen
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am now a proud mother of a little baby girl, Ellen Rose. You can see pictures of her here:
>
>Congratulations and celebrations to all three

I second that.

Hans, proud and happy father of two. --=20 Hans Friedlaender <http://hans.friedlaender.org>
>Hi Leute,wie handhabt ihr das mit dem warmfahren?
Wenn die Rennleitung in Sichtweite ist, sollte man eher warm fahren.
B.C. und R.B. in d.r.m, 11.3.2002

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote
> Congratulations to both of you. I'm told the secret for the sleepless nights is to murmur "it's
> your turn" without actually waking up.

Well, when she wakes up in the middle of the night she wants feeding above all else, and only Mommy
can do that. We've really got the hang of feeding lying down, so I can relax, and even doze a
little, while she takes it in. So Simon has started sleeping in the spare room, so he can sleep
through breastfeeding. But each fedeing session involves a nappy change, and that's Simon's duty.
While he changes her, I use the toilet and hit the kitchen for a snack. That's one thing Ellen and I
share -- neither of us can take on enough food during the day to hold us overnight!

-Myra

chris French <[email protected]> wrote
> Eat chocolate !!
>
> A while after Elinor was born Helen started a bit of mild dieting.

No, this is something I have no plans to do. Right now it's a struggle to get enough calories into
me, as I'm trying to eat healthy stuff like fruit and pasta instead of cakes and such.

> Elinor's weight gain started to slow down. We (us and the HV) decided that there was not enough
> fat/energy in the BM. The HV suggested eating chocolate.
>
> The HV was always welcome in our house......... :)

On the other hand, I *really* like good dark chocolate. My favorite is Lindt 70%. My MIL knows my
preferences and bought me three Green & Blacks dark chocolate bars at the hospital. I think it's
time to crack them open and stop trying to get *all* my calories from healthy sources.

-Myra

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote
> (Oh, and wifey says that's a nice blanket, meaning the one on the
> 17/03/03 page).

That blanket is very special. My grandmother died at age 80-something a few years ago (painless
death, was living with my aunt who was taking good care of her, and she died in her sleep). She was
a really nice lady, never said a bad word about anyone, was always trying to help, did loads of
volunteer work. She used to knit those blankets to donate to some charity that sold them to raise
money. That was the last blanket she ever knitted, and it's just the right size and warmth for
keeping little Ellen all nice and cozy.

The sweater was knitted by her Granny (Simon.s Mum, the lady in the photos of 14 March). Granny has
already knitted her another one, and says there are more on the way. We also have one from a friend,
and Simon's sister says she's made one for us. What is it about babies that makes women bring out
their knitting needles?

> It does get better (for Daddy at least, Daddy learns to sleep through the screams much more easily
> than Mummy does).

Actually, Daddy has learned to sleep in the spare room. At least he's willing to be woken up to
change the nappy!

-Myra

Thus spake [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen)

> What is it about babies that makes women bring out their knitting needles?

Baby garments, being small, don't take years to complete? (and only take weeks to outgrow[1]...)

Hand-knitted baby garments look *really* cute?

[1] Such things then get kept in the baby souvenir cupboard, while Mothercare stuff gets
passed on...

Thus spake [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen)

> On the other hand, I *really* like good dark chocolate. My favorite is Lindt 70%. My MIL knows my
> preferences and bought me three Green & Blacks dark chocolate bars at the hospital. I think it's
> time to crack them open and stop trying to get *all* my calories from healthy sources.

> -Myra

Beware of the caffeine content of these high-cocoa confections if you/Ellen wish to sleep...

In message <[email protected]>, Myra VanInwegen
<[email protected]> writes
>Hello evryone!
>
>I am now a proud mother of a little baby girl, Ellen Rose. You can see pictures of her here:
>
>http://simon.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/swmpics/2003/baby/

Lovely! You look like the Mother of All Babies. Ellen has (or had on the 12th) an exceedingly
superior expression. She clearly stands high in her own estimation. As well she might.

>Her health is perfect, and her little leggies are already gaining in strength, and she occasionally
>shows them off by kicking around vigorously. She will make a fine cyclist!

Congratulations!

--
Richard Keatinge

http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk/pedal.htm

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote
> Baby garments, being small, don't take years to complete? (and only take weeks to outgrow[1]...)

Yeah, Simon's Mom says she can make a cardi for Ellen in just 1 day!

> [1] Such things then get kept in the baby souvenir cupboard, while Mothercare stuff gets passed
> on...

To be honest, we were decidedly underimpressed with Mothercare. The stuff seemed pretty pathetic.
For example, Simon's Mom got a Moses basket from a charity shop for us. It had a standard sort of
mattress (padding with coconut fibers or something like that.) I'm paranoid and am desperately doing
all I can to avoid cot death and wanted a foam one with holes to replace it. Had a look in
Mothercare, and the one Moses basket they had had a plastic covered mattress. But the local branch
of John Lewis produced from their back room a foam-with-holes mattress of just the right size.

Also Mothercare has no cloth nappies, at least not that we could find. Again John Lewis had some
(terry squares) and even Boots does too! But we got our cloth nappies at the local health food shop,
which stocks a good range of them.

-Myra

"Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello evryone!
>
> I am now a proud mother of a little baby girl, Ellen Rose. You can see pictures of her here:
>
> http://simon.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/swmpics/2003/baby/
>
> Her health is perfect, and her little leggies are already gaining in strength, and she
> occasionally shows them off by kicking around vigorously. She will make a fine cyclist!
>
> Everything is going swimmingly with me, other than the fact that I'm exceedingly tired. It's a
> combination of recovering from the operation (I had her by Cesarean section because she was a
> breech baby), getting less sleep at night, and breastfeeding, which requires alot of energy even
> considering it only as a chemical process of manufacturing milk!
>
> However Simon is home with me, taking very good care of us both. I simply could not have survived
> without him!
>
> -Myra
Congratulations! Great pictures. When do we get to see her in her first pair of bibshorts?? Jo

>Congratulations! Great pictures. When do we get to see her in her first pair of bibshorts?? Jo

No!!! What a horrible thing to inflict on such a lovely baby ;-)

What she needs is a paving slab fairy t-shirt ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Myra
VanInwegen) wrote:
>Hello evryone!
>
>I am now a proud mother of a little baby girl, Ellen Rose. You can see pictures of her here:
>
>http://simon.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/swmpics/2003/baby/
>
>Her health is perfect, and her little leggies are already gaining in strength, and she occasionally
>shows them off by kicking around vigorously. She will make a fine cyclist!
>
>Everything is going swimmingly with me, other than the fact that I'm exceedingly tired. It's a
>combination of recovering from the operation (I had her by Cesarean section because she was a
>breech baby), getting less sleep at night, and breastfeeding, which requires alot of energy even
>considering it only as a chemical process of manufacturing milk!
>
>However Simon is home with me, taking very good care of us both. I simply could not have survived
>without him!

Congratulations Myra!! I'm due on Sunday but wish it was earlier cos I am so tired!! Ellen looks
lovely :O)

Best wishes to you and your family

Becka

>Congratulations Myra!! I'm due on Sunday but wish it was earlier cos I am so
>
>tired!! Ellen looks lovely :O)

OOOOHHHH!!! Another one on the way :)

Cheers, helen s