OT: New site for Mountainbikers

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by MTBstuff, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. MTBstuff

    MTBstuff Guest

    Hello all,

    I've built a site for mountain bikers, like myself, intended to be informative, useful and the basis
    of a community. Hopefully, it will be. The site is called MTBstuff and can be found at
    http://www.mtbstuff.co.uk.

    It has a comprehensive directory of links to hundreds of routes/trails where you can look for your
    next ride all at one place without having to trawl through hundreds of other websites as I've done.
    It also carries basic news, a forum, links, and technical info.

    It is of course completely free to use and if you would like to add links to your site, club, shop
    or organisation, then please feel free.

    Any comments and suggestions would be welcome.

    Thanks for your time. Hope you find the site useful. Kind regards Paul
    ______________
    Paul Dominguez Administrator MTBstuff http://www.mtbstuff.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

  3. MTBstuff

    MTBstuff Guest

    "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "MTBstuff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ToQ%[email protected]
    > gui.server.ntli.net...
    > > I've built a site for mountain bikers, like myself, intended to be informative, useful and the
    > > basis of a community. Hopefully, it will be.
    > The
    > > site is called MTBstuff and can be found at http://www.mtbstuff.co.uk.
    >
    > Do you intend to repost this every day?

    Er, No I don't think so. Why do you ask?

    I think the last time I posted here was back in August 03, the 2nd I think.

    Did you intend on posting pointless and unnecessary replies each and every time someone else wants
    to provide useful information?

  4. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    MTBstuff stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
    > "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >>
    >> "MTBstuff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ToQ%[email protected]
    >> gui.server.ntli.net...
    >>> I've built a site for mountain bikers, like myself, intended to be informative, useful and the
    >>> basis of a community. Hopefully, it will be. The site is called MTBstuff and can be found at
    >>> http://www.mtbstuff.co.uk.
    >>
    >> Do you intend to repost this every day?
    >>

    > Er, No I don't think so. Why do you ask?
    >
    > I think the last time I posted here was back in August 03, the 2nd I think.
    >
    > Did you intend on posting pointless and unnecessary replies each and every time someone else wants
    > to provide useful information?

    well, you did post your announcement 2x in one day. No matter, just some suggestions... put UK in
    your site announcements. The trail information is nation specific, and it may be a good forum site
    for your region of the world someday when it grows. I couldn't see anything there that would
    interest me that I can't get somewhere else already. Also, the popup is really annoying. I think
    you'd do better trolling for traffic in the UK specific newsgroups.

    just 2ยข

  5. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "MTBstuff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ToQ%[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've built a site for mountain bikers, like myself, intended to be informative, useful and the
    > basis of a community. Hopefully, it will be.
    The
    > site is called MTBstuff and can be found at http://www.mtbstuff.co.uk.

    Hello Paul The first time you posted on 15 August 03 our JD gave his inimical response next day on
    behalf of the group.

    Since then your site may have improved, but we have so many in the UK. For my mtb news, the forum,
    the links and for tech info I use Singletrackworld and it seems pointless me looking elsewhere. TW

  6. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "taywood" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > "MTBstuff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ToQ%[email protected]
    > gui.server.ntli.net...
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I've built a site for mountain bikers, like myself, intended to be informative, useful and the
    >> basis of a community. Hopefully, it will be.
    > The
    >> site is called MTBstuff and can be found at http://www.mtbstuff.co.uk.
    >
    > Hello Paul The first time you posted on 15 August 03 our JD gave his inimical response next day on
    > behalf of the group.

    BBBZZZTTT! Wrong answer. JD does not speak for me. Spam is spam, and if you need someone like JD to
    point it out for you, well, I think you get my point.

    > Since then your site may have improved, but we have so many in the UK. For my mtb news, the forum,
    > the links and for tech info I use Singletrackworld and it seems pointless me looking elsewhere. TW

    See, you didn't need JD to formulate your opinion did you?

  7. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "taywood" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected]
    snip
    > > Hello Paul The first time you posted on 15 August 03 our JD gave his inimical response next day
    > > on behalf of the group.
    >
    > BBBZZZTTT! Wrong answer. JD does not speak for me. Spam is spam, and if
    you
    > need someone like JD to point it out for you, well, I think you get my point.

    JD gave the spammer a short response. 6 months later he comes back for more, so I gave the spammer a
    more measured response, and it didnt end in OFF But if he comes back I'll wake up Rimmer. He wont
    spam us after that. TW

  8. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "taywood" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected] 131715.news.uni-berlin.de

    > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> "taywood" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected]
    >> berlin.de
    > snip
    >> > Hello Paul The first time you posted on 15 August 03 our JD gave his inimical response next day
    >> > on behalf of the group.
    >>
    >> BBBZZZTTT! Wrong answer. JD does not speak for me. Spam is spam, and if
    > you
    >> need someone like JD to point it out for you, well, I think you get my point.
    >
    > JD gave the spammer a short response. 6 months later he comes back for more, so I gave the spammer
    > a more measured response, and it didnt end in OFF But if he comes back I'll wake up Rimmer. He
    > wont spam us after that. TW

    Tis True....

    Dave

  9. Mtbstuff

    Mtbstuff Guest

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "taywood" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected] 131715.news.uni-
    > berlin.de
    >

    > > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> "taywood" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected]
    > >> berlin.de
    > > snip
    > >>
    > >> BBBZZZTTT! Wrong answer. JD does not speak for me. Spam is spam, and if
    > > you
    > >> need someone like JD to point it out for you, well, I think you get my point.
    > >
    > > JD gave the spammer a short response. 6 months later he comes back for more, so I gave the
    > > spammer a more measured response, and it didnt end in OFF But if he comes back I'll wake up
    > > Rimmer. He wont spam us after that. TW
    >
    > Tis True....
    >
    > Dave

    Forgive my ignorance, and firstly I apologise to those I have offended, but I thought this
    newsgroup, being about mountain biking and named mountain-bike would not necessarily object
    to someone making a post informing users of a resource, which they may, or may not find
    useful or relevant.

    The point is that the post was not "off-topic" or spam, because I'm not trying to sell anything but
    to inform people of a potentially useful place to visit. (Yes, the little banners on the site do
    provide minimal revenue to cover hosting costs etc).

    Maybe I should have worded my post in the form of a question?

    No doubt some people do actually find the site useful, but why start making insinuations at an
    innocent poster?

    Again I apologise, but I'm not too familiar with newsgroup etiquette and am not of the thinking that
    it was an offensive or pushy post. This is an open newsgroup which encourages the sharing of
    information about a specific subject area. If a resource like this were to be moderated by elitist
    power freaks (which I'm not suggesting is the case here), then its users would not be getting the
    benefit of that additional knowledge. They would need to be objective.

    I don't know why some of you enjoy wasting your time bad mouthing innocent posts because it happens
    not to suit you. If the post doesn't interest you then move on. Or is it that you are trying to
    notch up your posting count to achieve some sort of status? Whatever!

    Paul

  10. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    MTBstuff <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't know why some of you enjoy wasting your time bad mouthing innocent posts because it
    > happens not to suit you.

    'Cause it's still SPAM. Just because you claim it isn't doesn't mean that it's not self-serving. If
    your site was any good them some of its users would be posting up here to direct others to your
    site. You are not an objective advocate for your own product, so your innocence is suspect. We don't
    know your motivation and just because you claim alturistic motivation doesn't mean jack. It's still
    self serving. Get a real objective recommendation or FO.

    Tom (dislikes spam, hates self-righteous spammers)