OT - New Year's Resolutions

Damsel in dis Dress

Guest
1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.

1.a. Exercise!

2. Stop talking like a trucker.

3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
former.

4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
difficult one for me)

5. Read more.

Anyone else?

Hope Carol doesn't mind, but I thought her resolutions were good
springboards for some goals of my own (not resolutions, just directions
I'd like to head in).

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
> benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.

1. Eat lots of good stuff, and never eat a second bite of anything I
don't like.

> 1.a. Exercise!

1.a. Be good to my foot so it will heal quickly and I can walk without
pain again.

> 2. Stop talking like a trucker.

2. Curse more. ;-)

> 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
> I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
> respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
> someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
> former.

This is a good one, but I'm fairly good at not letting flamewars get to
me, already.

> 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
> difficult one for me)

I want to be better about doing my Flylady stuff every day. It really
helps me.

> 5. Read more.

5. Write more.

6. Continue pursuing a life that goes *toward* joy, not away from it.

serene (thanks, Carol!)

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
> benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
>
> 1.a. Exercise!
>
> 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
>
> 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
> I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
> respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
> someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
> former.
>
> 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
> difficult one for me)
>
> 5. Read more.
>
> Anyone else?

1. Get a lock for our bedroom door (we have a 4 YO).
1a. Get laid a lot more.

2. Quit drinking so much.

3. Get back on track with the recording.

4. Get back to the weight I was a year ago (I was really sloppy in
2005).

5. Do an even better job at my job (they deserve it).

--Bryan

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:48:46 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
>benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
>
>1.a. Exercise!
>
>2. Stop talking like a trucker.
>
>3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
>I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
>respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
>someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
>former.
>
>4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
>difficult one for me)
>
>5. Read more.
>
>Anyone else?

I love New Year's Resolutions but I usually don't do them until the
end of January when I've had time to figure out where I am after the
holiday dust settles. Often I set them as computer wallpaper for a
few months until they sink in.

Five is a good number. I like "read more." I tried it last year, but
it needs work so it repeats this year. That's #1.

#2. I'm also considering "buy (or have made) a bookcase." That's
been on my wish list for years. I desperately need one but it's not
easy. I have to find a place for one then find one that fits the
space.

Last year I had "Try one new recipe a month." It worked out to maybe
one recipe (usually dessert) every two months, although I suppose I
can count things that didn't have a formal recipe but I tried. I'll
try a variation on this one again, perhaps planning out the recipes
right from the beginning. That's #3.

Another one will have something to do with getting organized. That
one is going to take some thought and will be #4.

And finally, #5: work on the landscaping and garden. That's a good
one- I can put it off until spring :)

One of my most successful ones from a few years back was "eat more
fruits and vegetables." I'm still on board with that one.

One that didn't last long was "Emerge from your reverie and be
friendly and cheerful with cashiers." However, it's hard to be
friendly with people who won't look at the customers, which seems to
be the norm in grocery stores around here. I gave up trying. So I
tend to slip back into auto pilot, but sometimes there's a break
through.

Sue(tm)

On 2 Jan 2006 14:12:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

> Hope Carol doesn't mind, but I thought her resolutions were good
> springboards for some goals of my own (not resolutions, just directions
> I'd like to head in).

I certainly don't mind. I'm honored.

I loved your one about cursing more. ROFL! I didn't curse much at
all before becoming involved with Crash. He's a terrible influence!
<G>

> serene (thanks, Carol!)

You betcha! Glad to have triggered some neurons.

Carol

I have already resolved to not make New Year's Resolutions. For me they are
a recipe for failure/disaster!

I do much better making commitments on as needed or as recognized basis. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:12:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
Sue) wrote:

> I love New Year's Resolutions but I usually don't do them until the
> end of January when I've had time to figure out where I am after the
> holiday dust settles. Often I set them as computer wallpaper for a
> few months until they sink in.

That's a great idea! Thanks!

> One that didn't last long was "Emerge from your reverie and be
> friendly and cheerful with cashiers." However, it's hard to be
> friendly with people who won't look at the customers, which seems to
> be the norm in grocery stores around here. I gave up trying. So I
> tend to slip back into auto pilot, but sometimes there's a break
> through.

I do this one already. And you know those guys who sit at the doors
at WalMart? The greeters? Most have given up on greeting people who
ignore them. I always give them a smile and a big howdy. You can see
the light inside of them beginning to glow.

Carol

On 2 Jan 2006 14:12:02 -0800, "BoboBonobo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> 1. Get a lock for our bedroom door (we have a 4 YO).
> 1a. Get laid a lot more.

Hahahahahaha! That's a great one! I hope you follow through on that.

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

> I do this one already. And you know those guys who sit at the doors
> at WalMart? The greeters? Most have given up on greeting people who
> ignore them. I always give them a smile and a big howdy. You can see
> the light inside of them beginning to glow.

Heh, that's funny ... when some store opened here, they had a greeter.
Understand, they don't have that much up here in the northeast, never that
I noticed. He's standing there, hello! Uh ... hi? What does he want?

Didn't know what he wanted. Personally I wish they'd have someone
standing around in the store making themselves useful when I can't find
something, but there you have it.

Funny, I was thinking of buying a digital camera at Christmas (never did
get that one, Stan) and they are all behind glass. That's fine, I
understand,
but don't you think they should have someone there to OPEN THE CASE?
No one in sight, so much for that sale.

On my way out, there's a guy, I'm thinking he's going to ask me if I
found everything I needed. No. He was there to look in my bag and
make sure I didn't steal anything.

Thanks. For nothing.

nancy

"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote

> Five is a good number. I like "read more." I tried it last year, but
> it needs work so it repeats this year. That's #1.

I don't do resolutions, but a couple of years ago I resolved to
read more. I'm working on it. I certainly have the books here
to read.

> One of my most successful ones from a few years back was "eat more
> fruits and vegetables." I'm still on board with that one.

I've resolved that recently, nothing to do with new year's and
everything to do with my newest habit ... junk food. Gotta stop.

nancy

> I do this one already. And you know those guys who sit at the doors
> at WalMart? The greeters? Most have given up on greeting people who
> ignore them. I always give them a smile and a big howdy. You can see
> the light inside of them beginning to glow.
>
> Carol

Over the holidays I had to run into Walmart in a big-time hurry. The
greeter was having a hard time getting a stamp on my return I was moving so
fast. I told him I was a ole timer and he was having trouble keeping up
with me, so he'd better get a move on. (Mind you, I think people in the
South can get away with this talk, particularly if you put on your best
accent.) He hollered with laughter and was running down the aisle with me
patting me on the back. I loved it. DH doesn't understand all this bs,
he's from New England where most are able to keep a stiff-upper-lip.
Dee Dee

I only make one resolution and I always succeed.

1. Do NOT make any resolutions this year.

<g>

Elaine, too

BoboBonobo wrote:

> 1. Get a lock for our bedroom door (we have a 4 YO).
> 1a. Get laid a lot more.

<snort. lol.> Had to laugh at this one... we have a 2 y/o. so I hear
what you are saying ;)

I am not into making resolutions... I never keep the darn things!
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
> benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
>
> 1.a. Exercise!
>
> 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
>
> 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
> I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
> respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
> someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
> former.
>
> 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
> difficult one for me)
>
> 5. Read more.
>
> Anyone else?

Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)

Lynne A
[email protected]

"Lynne A" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
>> benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
>>
>> 1.a. Exercise!
>>
>> 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
>>
>> 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
>> I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
>> respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
>> someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
>> former.
>>
>> 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
>> difficult one for me)
>>
>> 5. Read more.
>>
>> Anyone else?

> Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)
>
> Lynne A
> [email protected]

I never make NY resolutions because I set myself up for failure and never
follow through with them. I can only hope this year will be a great year
and I'll get the things done I want to.

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

exercise.....................i hate it!

news:[email protected]...

Lynne A wrote:

> Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)
>
> Lynne A
> [email protected]

How right you are!! Where the h*ll have you been kiddo??? Thought you
had dropped off the face of Usenet ;)

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

On 3 Jan 2006 05:59:19 -0800, "Lynne A" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)

That'd be great! You've been missed, lady!

Carol

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:24:07 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> exercise.....................i hate it!

I'm not talking about jogging or anything. I actually have an
exercise tape geared toward fat, middle-aged women. I even know where
it is! I'll have to have Crash show me how to use the VHS machine. My
first one was as simple as running an old, basic tape recorder. I
hate these new-fangled ones. <G>

Carol, feeling old all of a sudden

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I'm not talking about jogging or anything. I actually have an
> exercise tape geared toward fat, middle-aged women. I even know where
> it is! I'll have to have Crash show me how to use the VHS machine. My
> first one was as simple as running an old, basic tape recorder. I
> hate these new-fangled ones. <G>
>
> Carol, feeling old all of a sudden

Cathy's Golden Rule: Never think of oneself as being "old". Rather
think of yourself as a good red wine - the older the better :)

Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - who's daily exercise routine amounts to opening and
closing the oven.... and lifting the odd glass of wine