OT - New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.

    1.a. Exercise!

    2. Stop talking like a trucker.

    3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    former.

    4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    difficult one for me)

    5. Read more.

    Anyone else?

    Tags:

  2. Hope Carol doesn't mind, but I thought her resolutions were good
    springboards for some goals of my own (not resolutions, just directions
    I'd like to head in).

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    > benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.

    1. Eat lots of good stuff, and never eat a second bite of anything I
    don't like.

    > 1.a. Exercise!

    1.a. Be good to my foot so it will heal quickly and I can walk without
    pain again.

    > 2. Stop talking like a trucker.

    2. Curse more. ;-)

    > 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    > I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    > respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    > someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    > former.

    This is a good one, but I'm fairly good at not letting flamewars get to
    me, already.

    > 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    > difficult one for me)

    I want to be better about doing my Flylady stuff every day. It really
    helps me.

    > 5. Read more.

    5. Write more.

    6. Continue pursuing a life that goes *toward* joy, not away from it.

    serene (thanks, Carol!)

  3. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    > benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
    >
    > 1.a. Exercise!
    >
    > 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
    >
    > 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    > I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    > respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    > someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    > former.
    >
    > 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    > difficult one for me)
    >
    > 5. Read more.
    >
    > Anyone else?

    1. Get a lock for our bedroom door (we have a 4 YO).
    1a. Get laid a lot more.

    2. Quit drinking so much.

    3. Get back on track with the recording.

    4. Get back to the weight I was a year ago (I was really sloppy in
    2005).

    5. Do an even better job at my job (they deserve it).

    --Bryan

  4. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:48:46 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    >benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
    >
    >1.a. Exercise!
    >
    >2. Stop talking like a trucker.
    >
    >3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    >I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    >respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    >someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    >former.
    >
    >4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    >difficult one for me)
    >
    >5. Read more.
    >
    >Anyone else?

    I love New Year's Resolutions but I usually don't do them until the
    end of January when I've had time to figure out where I am after the
    holiday dust settles. Often I set them as computer wallpaper for a
    few months until they sink in.

    Five is a good number. I like "read more." I tried it last year, but
    it needs work so it repeats this year. That's #1.

    #2. I'm also considering "buy (or have made) a bookcase." That's
    been on my wish list for years. I desperately need one but it's not
    easy. I have to find a place for one then find one that fits the
    space.

    Last year I had "Try one new recipe a month." It worked out to maybe
    one recipe (usually dessert) every two months, although I suppose I
    can count things that didn't have a formal recipe but I tried. I'll
    try a variation on this one again, perhaps planning out the recipes
    right from the beginning. That's #3.

    Another one will have something to do with getting organized. That
    one is going to take some thought and will be #4.

    And finally, #5: work on the landscaping and garden. That's a good
    one- I can put it off until spring :)

    One of my most successful ones from a few years back was "eat more
    fruits and vegetables." I'm still on board with that one.

    One that didn't last long was "Emerge from your reverie and be
    friendly and cheerful with cashiers." However, it's hard to be
    friendly with people who won't look at the customers, which seems to
    be the norm in grocery stores around here. I gave up trying. So I
    tend to slip back into auto pilot, but sometimes there's a break
    through.

    Sue(tm)

  5. On 2 Jan 2006 14:12:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > Hope Carol doesn't mind, but I thought her resolutions were good
    > springboards for some goals of my own (not resolutions, just directions
    > I'd like to head in).

    I certainly don't mind. I'm honored.

    I loved your one about cursing more. ROFL! I didn't curse much at
    all before becoming involved with Crash. He's a terrible influence!
    <G>

    > serene (thanks, Carol!)

    You betcha! Glad to have triggered some neurons.

    Carol

  6. I have already resolved to not make New Year's Resolutions. For me they are
    a recipe for failure/disaster!

    I do much better making commitments on as needed or as recognized basis. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  7. On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:12:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    Sue) wrote:

    > I love New Year's Resolutions but I usually don't do them until the
    > end of January when I've had time to figure out where I am after the
    > holiday dust settles. Often I set them as computer wallpaper for a
    > few months until they sink in.

    That's a great idea! Thanks!

    > One that didn't last long was "Emerge from your reverie and be
    > friendly and cheerful with cashiers." However, it's hard to be
    > friendly with people who won't look at the customers, which seems to
    > be the norm in grocery stores around here. I gave up trying. So I
    > tend to slip back into auto pilot, but sometimes there's a break
    > through.

    I do this one already. And you know those guys who sit at the doors
    at WalMart? The greeters? Most have given up on greeting people who
    ignore them. I always give them a smile and a big howdy. You can see
    the light inside of them beginning to glow.

    Carol

  8. On 2 Jan 2006 14:12:02 -0800, "BoboBonobo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 1. Get a lock for our bedroom door (we have a 4 YO).
    > 1a. Get laid a lot more.

    Hahahahahaha! That's a great one! I hope you follow through on that.

    Carol

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I do this one already. And you know those guys who sit at the doors
    > at WalMart? The greeters? Most have given up on greeting people who
    > ignore them. I always give them a smile and a big howdy. You can see
    > the light inside of them beginning to glow.

    Heh, that's funny ... when some store opened here, they had a greeter.
    Understand, they don't have that much up here in the northeast, never that
    I noticed. He's standing there, hello! Uh ... hi? What does he want?

    Didn't know what he wanted. Personally I wish they'd have someone
    standing around in the store making themselves useful when I can't find
    something, but there you have it.

    Funny, I was thinking of buying a digital camera at Christmas (never did
    get that one, Stan) and they are all behind glass. That's fine, I
    understand,
    but don't you think they should have someone there to OPEN THE CASE?
    No one in sight, so much for that sale.

    On my way out, there's a guy, I'm thinking he's going to ask me if I
    found everything I needed. No. He was there to look in my bag and
    make sure I didn't steal anything.

    Thanks. For nothing.

    nancy

  10. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Five is a good number. I like "read more." I tried it last year, but
    > it needs work so it repeats this year. That's #1.

    I don't do resolutions, but a couple of years ago I resolved to
    read more. I'm working on it. I certainly have the books here
    to read.

    > One of my most successful ones from a few years back was "eat more
    > fruits and vegetables." I'm still on board with that one.

    I've resolved that recently, nothing to do with new year's and
    everything to do with my newest habit ... junk food. Gotta stop.

    nancy

  11. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > I do this one already. And you know those guys who sit at the doors
    > at WalMart? The greeters? Most have given up on greeting people who
    > ignore them. I always give them a smile and a big howdy. You can see
    > the light inside of them beginning to glow.
    >
    > Carol

    Over the holidays I had to run into Walmart in a big-time hurry. The
    greeter was having a hard time getting a stamp on my return I was moving so
    fast. I told him I was a ole timer and he was having trouble keeping up
    with me, so he'd better get a move on. (Mind you, I think people in the
    South can get away with this talk, particularly if you put on your best
    accent.) He hollered with laughter and was running down the aisle with me
    patting me on the back. I loved it. DH doesn't understand all this bs,
    he's from New England where most are able to keep a stiff-upper-lip.
    Dee Dee

  12. I only make one resolution and I always succeed.

    1. Do NOT make any resolutions this year.

    <g>

    Elaine, too

  13. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > 1. Get a lock for our bedroom door (we have a 4 YO).
    > 1a. Get laid a lot more.

    <snort. lol.> Had to laugh at this one... we have a 2 y/o. so I hear
    what you are saying ;)

    I am not into making resolutions... I never keep the darn things!
    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  14. Lynne A

    Lynne A Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    > benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
    >
    > 1.a. Exercise!
    >
    > 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
    >
    > 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    > I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    > respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    > someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    > former.
    >
    > 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    > difficult one for me)
    >
    > 5. Read more.
    >
    > Anyone else?

    Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)

    Lynne A
    [email protected]

  15. "Lynne A" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    >> benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
    >>
    >> 1.a. Exercise!
    >>
    >> 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
    >>
    >> 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    >> I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    >> respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    >> someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    >> former.
    >>
    >> 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    >> difficult one for me)
    >>
    >> 5. Read more.
    >>
    >> Anyone else?

    > Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)
    >
    > Lynne A
    > [email protected]

    I never make NY resolutions because I set myself up for failure and never
    follow through with them. I can only hope this year will be a great year
    and I'll get the things done I want to.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  16. exercise.....................i hate it!

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 1. Get my diabetes back under control, losing weight as a side
    > benefit, which also helps with the diabetes.
    >
    > 1.a. Exercise!
    >
    > 2. Stop talking like a trucker.
    >
    > 3. Don't become confrontational and ugly when someone posts something
    > I strongly disagree with or find offensive. Wait until I'm calmer to
    > respond in a kind, rational way. The other option is to simply ignore
    > someone else's bad behavior. I'm better at the latter than the
    > former.
    >
    > 4. Get my housework under control, then keep it that way. (A very
    > difficult one for me)
    >
    > 5. Read more.
    >
    > Anyone else?

  17. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Lynne A wrote:

    > Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)
    >
    > Lynne A
    > [email protected]

    How right you are!! Where the h*ll have you been kiddo??? Thought you
    had dropped off the face of Usenet ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  18. On 3 Jan 2006 05:59:19 -0800, "Lynne A" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yep, one-drag my ass back into RFC chat once in a durned while! ;>)

    That'd be great! You've been missed, lady!

    Carol

  19. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:24:07 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > exercise.....................i hate it!

    I'm not talking about jogging or anything. I actually have an
    exercise tape geared toward fat, middle-aged women. I even know where
    it is! I'll have to have Crash show me how to use the VHS machine. My
    first one was as simple as running an old, basic tape recorder. I
    hate these new-fangled ones. <G>

    Carol, feeling old all of a sudden

  20. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > I'm not talking about jogging or anything. I actually have an
    > exercise tape geared toward fat, middle-aged women. I even know where
    > it is! I'll have to have Crash show me how to use the VHS machine. My
    > first one was as simple as running an old, basic tape recorder. I
    > hate these new-fangled ones. <G>
    >
    > Carol, feeling old all of a sudden

    Cathy's Golden Rule: Never think of oneself as being "old". Rather
    think of yourself as a good red wine - the older the better :)

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz) - who's daily exercise routine amounts to opening and
    closing the oven.... and lifting the odd glass of wine