OT: news servers

I know I'mnot in the right place to ask, but I know you lot are 'mostly
harmless' :) and as I'm struglling to access a news swever I thought
I'd ask some where that I know.

When trying to connect to the btrconnect news server
(news.btconnec.com) I get the error message 502 you have no permission
to talk goodbye. This is from gravity and OE (spit) and BT Connect
support have been as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
that I can use instead. I don't really want to connect via google
groups.

tia

Paul

On 3 May 2005 13:08:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
>that I can use instead.

news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.
fast, reliable text-based news.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I know I'mnot in the right place to ask, but I know you lot are
> 'mostly harmless' :) and as I'm struglling to access a news swever I
> thought I'd ask some where that I know.
>
> When trying to connect to the btrconnect news server
> (news.btconnec.com) I get the error message 502 you have no permission
> to talk goodbye. This is from gravity and OE (spit) and BT Connect
> support have been as much use as a chocolate teapot.
>
> Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
> that I can use instead. I don't really want to connect via google
> groups.

The server news.individual.net (see <URL:http://news.individual.net/>)
provides an excellent service for about seven quid a year. Recommended.

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 3 May 2005 13:08:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
> message <[email protected]>:
>
> >Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
> >that I can use instead.

> news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.
> fast, reliable text-based news.

They are worth it, even if only for the excellent junk filters.

> Guy
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
> simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

JohnB wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
>
>>On 3 May 2005 13:08:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
>>message <[email protected]>:
>>

>>>Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
>>>that I can use instead.

>>news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.

> Or news.gazeta.pl
> Then you can enjoy the three pints down the local :)
>
> John B

When posting that recommendation you need to provide the link to the how
to read a Polish web page set up guide as well.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Simon Brooke wrote:

> The server news.individual.net (see <URL:http://news.individual.net/>)
> provides an excellent service for about seven quid a year. Recommended.

And another recommendation here. I have access to other free news
servers but I always end up going back to my individual.net account when
the others invariably hiccup.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

in message <030520052303217401%[email protected]>, Sara Kirk
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
> you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 3 May 2005 13:08:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
>> message <[email protected]>:
>>
>> >Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
>> >that I can use instead.

>> news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.
>> fast, reliable text-based news.

> They are worth it, even if only for the excellent junk filters.

Oy! You said you were a lurker! Right, that's it, lads. Down keyboards.
Ev'ryone out. We can't have management putting lurkers on the line.
De-mark-a-shun. They'll be sending us newbies next.

;; If God does not write LISP, God writes some code so similar to
;; LISP as to make no difference.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <030520052303217401%[email protected]>, Sara Kirk

> Oy! You said you were a lurker!

Evidently she was. Now she isn't. In future? Well, if she has a
contribution to make, then let's have it! Sara - welcome to urc :)

Lurkerdom isn't quite like (the modern definition of) virginity:
it can be regained if you really want to. Unfortunately, exposing
your email address on Usenet is a different story :-(

--
Nick Kew

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > in message <030520052303217401%[email protected]>, Sara Kirk

> > Oy! You said you were a lurker!

> Evidently she was. Now she isn't. In future? Well, if she has a
> contribution to make, then let's have it! Sara - welcome to urc :)
>
> Lurkerdom isn't quite like (the modern definition of) virginity:
> it can be regained if you really want to. Unfortunately, exposing
> your email address on Usenet is a different story :-(

I lurk here a bit, and in the Aussie cycling group where friends of
mine post. I have an excellent spam filter and never get to see the
downside of using my real addy on usenet. The main group I spend time
in is uk.comp.sys.mac, where *not* using a real, or otherwise gettable,
addy is frowned upon, so I got used to it.

I will probably go back to lurking again soon, I cycle to work
(Kingston, Surrey) but otherwise am not really part of the great
wheelie population, being far to timid to challenge motorised traffic
or wear much in way of lycra.

:)

In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:03:21 +0100, Sara Kirk
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <030520052303217401%[email protected]>:
>
> >They are worth it, even if only for the excellent junk filters.

> Ere, 'ang on - aren't you supposed to be a lurker? ;-)

I am! I am! it was late, I was drunk, it seemed friendly and nice to
say hello.

> Willkommen, bienvenue, etc.

Ta. :D

> Guy
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
> simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <030520052303217401%[email protected]>, Sara Kirk
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
> > you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.
> >> fast, reliable text-based news.

> > They are worth it, even if only for the excellent junk filters.

> Oy! You said you were a lurker! Right, that's it, lads. Down keyboards.
> Ev'ryone out. We can't have management putting lurkers on the line.
> De-mark-a-shun. They'll be sending us newbies next.

Heh - lurker maybe, certainly not a newbie as far as usenet is
concerned. Ah've bin postin' arahnd and abarht since Ah were nobbut a
nipper.

(Apols to anyone who may think that was supposed to be a **** take of
their accent. Truth is, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be.)

In article <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> >
> > On 3 May 2005 13:08:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
> > message <[email protected]>:
> >
> > >Anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or perhaps suggest a news server
> > >that I can use instead.

> > news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.

> Or news.gazeta.pl
> Then you can enjoy the three pints down the local :)

When the Germans started charging I switched over to news.sunsite.dk,
but the amount of **** that got through was annoying me so much I
decided to pay the (very reasonable) fee charged and have lovely
****-free news again. Have not regretted the decision.

in message <040520051625037571%[email protected]>, Sara
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
> you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:03:21 +0100, Sara Kirk
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> <030520052303217401%[email protected]>:
>>
>> >They are worth it, even if only for the excellent junk filters.

>> Ere, 'ang on - aren't you supposed to be a lurker? ;-)

> I am! I am! it was late, I was drunk, it seemed friendly and nice to
> say hello.

It was. I hope I didn't offend.

(oh, and welcome!)

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.

Tony Raven wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
> > "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> >>news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.

> > Or news.gazeta.pl
> > Then you can enjoy the three pints down the local :)
> >
> > John B

> When posting that recommendation you need to provide the link to the how
> to read a Polish web page set up guide as well.

You are right. Apologies.
I kept a copy somewhere but can't find it :-(
It was probably the effect of the three pints I enjoyed.

I think it might have been someone here who gave the translations.

john B

Sara wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> > > news.individual.net, about 3 pints' worth for a year's connection.

> > Or news.gazeta.pl
> > Then you can enjoy the three pints down the local :)
> >

> When the Germans started charging I switched over to news.sunsite.dk,
> but the amount of **** that got through was annoying me so much I
> decided to pay the (very reasonable) fee charged and have lovely
> ****-free news again. Have not regretted the decision.

I haven't had any problem yet.

'cept of course the same old **** on uk.tosspot ;-)

John B

> > groups.

> The server news.individual.net (see <URL:http://news.individual.net/>)
> provides an excellent service for about seven quid a year. Recommended.

got baffled by the system they used for paying. It seemed to involve the
Post Office (or BT) and it told me I already had an account - of which I
knew nothing. I stumbled about for some time and failed to pay them. I did
read one bit that seemed to prohibit me sending them a cheque or money. I'm
not a complete numpty but they did manage to stop me in my tracks. I now use
my ISP server (Tiscali) which gives me access to the groups I read but can
be a bit slow from time to time.

Ho hum.

John

"eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > groups.

>> The server news.individual.net (see <URL:http://news.individual.net/>)
>> provides an excellent service for about seven quid a year. Recommended.
>>
>> --

> got baffled by the system they used for paying. It seemed to involve the
> Post Office (or BT) and it told me I already had an account - of which I
> knew nothing. I stumbled about for some time and failed to pay them. I did
> read one bit that seemed to prohibit me sending them a cheque or money.
> I'm
> not a complete numpty but they did manage to stop me in my tracks. I now
> use
> my ISP server (Tiscali) which gives me access to the groups I read but can
> be a bit slow from time to time.
>
> Ho hum.
>
> John

Pretty much the same experience here; I've gone back to BT for the time
being.

Julia

> >> Ere, 'ang on - aren't you supposed to be a lurker? ;-)

> > I am! I am! it was late, I was drunk, it seemed friendly and nice to
> > say hello.

> It was. I hope I didn't offend.

'Course not!

> (oh, and welcome!)