OT: newsgroup software / access

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Charlie Pendejo, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. I've been using google groups to read and post, rather than a real
    newsreader, because it allows me to do so from home or work or
    anywhere.

    Aside from google groups, what other "read and write from anywhere"
    options are there? The two type of options I can imagine would be [a]
    a mail/news gateway so that I can read & write via my email account, or
    a fuller featured web interface to news. Do these exist and work
    well? Anyone have recommendations or experiences to relate? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. thehick

    thehick Guest

    "I've been using google groups to read and post,
    rather than a real newsreader"

    Me too. Since my isp dropped usenet. I use a free
    newsserver to read mostly cause I am used to
    the agent interface. but it is a pain switching to
    google groups to post. But, since it's free, I can
    live with it. I doubt if there are any free newservers
    which allow posting. not anymore.
    ....thehick

  3. On 26 Feb 2006 13:47:39 -0800, "Charlie Pendejo"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've been using google groups to read and post, rather than a real
    >newsreader, because it allows me to do so from home or work or
    >anywhere.
    >
    >Aside from google groups, what other "read and write from anywhere"
    >options are there? The two type of options I can imagine would be [a]
    >a mail/news gateway so that I can read & write via my email account, or
    > a fuller featured web interface to news. Do these exist and work
    >well? Anyone have recommendations or experiences to relate? Thanks.

    I'd suggest ramming a Agent newsreader up your ass sideways. The rest
    will be perfectly clear.

  4. On 2006-02-26, Charlie Pendejo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've been using google groups to read and post, rather than a real
    > newsreader, because it allows me to do so from home or work or
    > anywhere.
    >
    > Aside from google groups, what other "read and write from anywhere"
    > options are there?

    I suppose I'm kind of "old-school", but I use unix shell access via panix.
    I read newsgroups with slrn. I can reach it from anywhere via ssh. My shell
    account has web-accessible email, which is occasionaly handy for convenient
    access to attachments, but I do most of my email via mutt.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  5. On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:22:20 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My shell
    >account has web-accessible email,

    Too bad you aren't allergic to shellfish.

  6. steve common

    steve common Guest

    "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Aside from google groups, what other "read and write from anywhere"
    >options are there? The two type of options I can imagine would be [a]
    >a mail/news gateway so that I can read & write via my email account, or
    > a fuller featured web interface to news. Do these exist and work
    >well? Anyone have recommendations or experiences to relate? Thanks.

    About 7-8 years ago, I set up a web to news gateway with some trailware
    server software. It was pretty much like Google groups. FWIW, the
    operation which Google bought out to make GoogleNews, DejaNews, existed
    already at the time and looked similar but was read-only.

    To use something like that gateway though, you'd need to have a machine
    visible from the Internet - either an "always on" home machine or some
    kind of hosted solution. I'll have a dig see if I can find something,
    maybe in PHP for hosting on you ISPs homepage service?

  7. steve common wrote:
    > About 7-8 years ago, I set up a web to news gateway ...
    >
    > I'll have a dig see if I can find something,
    > maybe in PHP for hosting on you ISPs homepage service?

    Thanks for your offer, steve, but don't spend any time on it. My home
    machine ain't always on, and I've decided it may be just as well to use a
    plain ol' newsreader from home and give up accessing the group also at work.
    Anyhow that's what I plan to try for now.

  8. Ylan Segal

    Ylan Segal Guest

    Charlie Pendejo wrote:
    > I've been using google groups to read and post, rather than a real
    > newsreader, because it allows me to do so from home or work or
    > anywhere.
    >
    > Aside from google groups, what other "read and write from anywhere"
    > options are there? The two type of options I can imagine would be [a]
    > a mail/news gateway so that I can read & write via my email account, or
    > a fuller featured web interface to news. Do these exist and work
    > well? Anyone have recommendations or experiences to relate? Thanks.

    I use Portable Thunderbird for email and Usenet. It has all the
    functionality of regular Thunderbird, but runs from a USB drive without
    having to install anything. It works on any Windows computer.

    I have been using this setup for about a year and it works well for me.
    You do need an ISP that will let you connect to it from work. Maybe
    contact your ISP at home (or just give it a test).

    http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/email/portable_thunderbird

    <optional geek>
    You can also use Portable Thunderbird + Enigmail for your encryption /
    decryption needs.
    </optional geek>

    If you need more help with this, let me know.

    --
    Ylan

    "The universe is not required to be in
    perfect harmony with human ambition"
    ~ Carl Sagan

  9. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    When google acquired deja-news and enhanced (or degraded) it,
    that took the incentive from competitors.

    I'd like them to add a kill file feature, but that wouldn't be too
    effective
    for the troll in this group that changes its name every couple days.

    Google groups has a limit of about 20 postings to all newsgroups per
    six hour time
    period. And it seems to lose about 10% of them, but I can live with
    that.

  10. On 27 Feb 2006 09:19:33 -0800, "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > but that wouldn't be too
    >effective

    Hours, not days.

  11. Ylan Segal wrote:
    > I use Portable Thunderbird for email and Usenet. It has all the
    > functionality of regular Thunderbird, but runs from a USB drive

    EEN-ter-ess-tink, verrry eenteresstink!

    They block the, whatchamacallit, NNTP port at work, and it's also just not
    so important that I'm gonna run out and get a USB drive to do it; but it's a
    neat idea and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

  12. Ylan Segal

    Ylan Segal Guest

    Charlie Pendejo wrote:
    > Ylan Segal wrote:
    >
    >>I use Portable Thunderbird for email and Usenet. It has all the
    >>functionality of regular Thunderbird, but runs from a USB drive

    > EEN-ter-ess-tink, verrry eenteresstink!
    >
    > They block the, whatchamacallit, NNTP port at work, and it's also just not

    Over here, they block a lot of web stuff and restrict access to sites,
    but I don't think IT even knows what a NNTP port is, let alone though of
    blocking it!

    > so important that I'm gonna run out and get a USB drive to do it; but it's a
    > neat idea and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    They are really handy if you do stuff in multiple computers, and are
    fairly cheap now.