OT: Nigerian scam victims

Tony Raven

Guest
Its been discussed here occasionally but for those who think "How could anyone possibly fall for
it", they still do. Sad but amusing.

Tony

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3323639.stm

Chemist's shop caught in cash scam

A Highlands chemist's shop has become unwittingly involved in a Nigerian-based money scam. Victims
from as far afield as New Zealand and the US were promised they would inherit an oil company in
return for an up-front fee.

They were instructed by a man calling from Nigeria to pay the money into an account at an alleged
bank in Thurso, in Caithness.

But the bank did not exist and the address was a chemist's shop.

Arlen Hughes, from Wyoming in the United States, was told he would inherit £41m if he paid
£32,000 up front.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I received a phone call from a fella in Nigeria saying that
I had inherited an oil company.

"They were very professional. I found a registered number in Scotland and so the search I had found
led me to believe they were on the uppity-up.

"So when I began to deal with them I believed they were legitimate."

Detective superintendent Gordon Urquhart, from Northern Constabulary, confirmed the scam and said
the address was that of the chemist shop.

He added: "It is a bona fide operating pharmacy.

"The telephone number is merely a conduit of a number which puts you on to another number in London,
we understand."

Now victims are contacting the chemists in a bid to get their cash back.

Shop manager Andrew Paterson told Today: "We had a Mediterranean couple come in looking for a bank.

"After a while we suggested maybe they should go round to the police.

"They did seem a little bit upset about it."

> Its been discussed here occasionally but for those who think "How could anyone possibly fall for
> it", they still do. Sad but amusing.
>
> Tony
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3323639.stm
>
> Chemist's shop caught in cash scam
>
> A Highlands chemist's shop has become unwittingly involved in a Nigerian-based money scam. Victims
> from as far afield as New Zealand and the US were promised they would inherit an oil company in
> return for an up-front fee.
>
> They were instructed by a man calling from Nigeria to pay the money into an account at an alleged
> bank in Thurso, in Caithness.
>
> But the bank did not exist and the address was a chemist's shop.
>
> Arlen Hughes, from Wyoming in the United States, was told he would inherit £41m if he paid £32,000
> up front.
>
> He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I received a phone call from a fella in Nigeria saying
> that I had inherited an oil company.
>
> "They were very professional. I found a registered number in Scotland and so the search I had
> found led me to believe they were on the
uppity-up.

> "So when I began to deal with them I believed they were legitimate."
>
> Detective superintendent Gordon Urquhart, from Northern Constabulary, confirmed the scam and said
> the address was that of the chemist shop.
>
> He added: "It is a bona fide operating pharmacy.
>
> "The telephone number is merely a conduit of a number which puts you on to another number in
> London, we understand."
>
> Now victims are contacting the chemists in a bid to get their cash back.
>
> Shop manager Andrew Paterson told Today: "We had a Mediterranean couple come in looking
> for a bank.
>
> "After a while we suggested maybe they should go round to the police.
>
> "They did seem a little bit upset about it."

I have a friend at work who recieved a fax to his house asking if he wanted "Free Money",
honestly !!!

Graham

Graham wrote:

> I have a friend at work who recieved a fax to his house asking if he wanted "Free Money",
> honestly !!!

Reminds me of the wonderful spoof someone did at a First Tuesday event at the height of the
dotcomedy. They were selling pound coins for 50p and claimed unlimited customer demand and a rapidly
rising revenue line that made their company worth billions. The trouble is they were too close to
the truth.

Tony

Graham wrote: <snip> =20
> I have a friend at work who recieved a fax to his house asking if he wanted "Free Money",
> honestly !!!
>=20
> Graham

I got one on the home fax saying "due to the busy xmas period, we may = fax you at unsociable hours
- to stop this, simply return this fax = to....... =A31.50 per min....." and so on!

--=20 cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Wallace Shackleton wrote:
> I have no sympathy for anyone duped by the Nigerian scam.
>
> Victims participate because they are greedy, wanting to make a fast buck and probably caring
> nothing for how the money was obtained in the first place.

Ah but... the latest "419 Advance fees fraud" seems a tad more subtle than the basic 'I am the ex
nigerain minister of oil with zillions of $ to move'.

No sympathy at all for the greedy tw*ts who fall for that.

But, the recent radio reports have been 'You have inherited through a distant realtive.....'

Some sympathy for the gullible fools who fall for that one.

pk

--
Wallace Shackleton,

Kinross, Scotland.