OT: Nigerian scam victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Raven

Its been discussed here occasionally but for those who think "How could anyone possibly fall for
it", they still do. Sad but amusing.

Tony

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3323639.stm

Chemist's shop caught in cash scam

A Highlands chemist's shop has become unwittingly involved in a Nigerian-based money scam. Victims
from as far afield as New Zealand and the US were promised they would inherit an oil company in
return for an up-front fee.

They were instructed by a man calling from Nigeria to pay the money into an account at an alleged
bank in Thurso, in Caithness.

But the bank did not exist and the address was a chemist's shop.

Arlen Hughes, from Wyoming in the United States, was told he would inherit £41m if he paid
£32,000 up front.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I received a phone call from a fella in Nigeria saying that
I had inherited an oil company.

"They were very professional. I found a registered number in Scotland and so the search I had found
led me to believe they were on the uppity-up.

"So when I began to deal with them I believed they were legitimate."

Detective superintendent Gordon Urquhart, from Northern Constabulary, confirmed the scam and said
the address was that of the chemist shop.

He added: "It is a bona fide operating pharmacy.

"The telephone number is merely a conduit of a number which puts you on to another number in London,
we understand."

Now victims are contacting the chemists in a bid to get their cash back.

Shop manager Andrew Paterson told Today: "We had a Mediterranean couple come in looking for a bank.

"After a while we suggested maybe they should go round to the police.

"They did seem a little bit upset about it."

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Its been discussed here occasionally but for those who think "How could anyone possibly fall for
> it", they still do. Sad but amusing.
>
> Tony
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3323639.stm
>
> Chemist's shop caught in cash scam
>
> A Highlands chemist's shop has become unwittingly involved in a Nigerian-based money scam. Victims
> from as far afield as New Zealand and the US were promised they would inherit an oil company in
> return for an up-front fee.
>
> They were instructed by a man calling from Nigeria to pay the money into an account at an alleged
> bank in Thurso, in Caithness.
>
> But the bank did not exist and the address was a chemist's shop.
>
> Arlen Hughes, from Wyoming in the United States, was told he would inherit £41m if he paid £32,000
> up front.
>
> He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I received a phone call from a fella in Nigeria saying
> that I had inherited an oil company.
>
> "They were very professional. I found a registered number in Scotland and so the search I had
> found led me to believe they were on the
uppity-up.
>
> "So when I began to deal with them I believed they were legitimate."
>
> Detective superintendent Gordon Urquhart, from Northern Constabulary, confirmed the scam and said
> the address was that of the chemist shop.
>
> He added: "It is a bona fide operating pharmacy.
>
> "The telephone number is merely a conduit of a number which puts you on to another number in
> London, we understand."
>
> Now victims are contacting the chemists in a bid to get their cash back.
>
> Shop manager Andrew Paterson told Today: "We had a Mediterranean couple come in looking
> for a bank.
>
> "After a while we suggested maybe they should go round to the police.
>
> "They did seem a little bit upset about it."

I have a friend at work who recieved a fax to his house asking if he wanted "Free Money",
honestly !!!

Graham
>
>
>

Graham wrote:
>
> I have a friend at work who recieved a fax to his house asking if he wanted "Free Money",
> honestly !!!
>

Reminds me of the wonderful spoof someone did at a First Tuesday event at the height of the
dotcomedy. They were selling pound coins for 50p and claimed unlimited customer demand and a rapidly
rising revenue line that made their company worth billions. The trouble is they were too close to
the truth.

Tony

Graham wrote: <snip> =20
> I have a friend at work who recieved a fax to his house asking if he wanted "Free Money",
> honestly !!!
>=20
> Graham

I got one on the home fax saying "due to the busy xmas period, we may = fax you at unsociable hours
- to stop this, simply return this fax = to....... =A31.50 per min....." and so on!

--=20 cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Wallace Shackleton wrote:
> I have no sympathy for anyone duped by the Nigerian scam.
>
> Victims participate because they are greedy, wanting to make a fast buck and probably caring
> nothing for how the money was obtained in the first place.

Ah but... the latest "419 Advance fees fraud" seems a tad more subtle than the basic 'I am the ex
nigerain minister of oil with zillions of $ to move'.

No sympathy at all for the greedy tw*ts who fall for that.

But, the recent radio reports have been 'You have inherited through a distant realtive.....'

Some sympathy for the gullible fools who fall for that one.

pk

I have no sympathy for anyone duped by the Nigerian scam.

Victims participate because they are greedy, wanting to make a fast buck and probably caring nothing
for how the money was obtained in the first place.

--
Wallace Shackleton,

Kinross, Scotland.

Cycling in Kinross-shire www.cyclekinross.org.uk

Perth & Kinross Cycle Campaign www.bycycle.org.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.