OT: Not meaning to rub it in, but...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Cindy Fuller, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

    Tags:

  2. On Mon 24 Jan 2005 05:13:44p, Cindy Fuller wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    > yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    > snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    > and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.
    >
    > Cindy

    Well, they're skiing up in Flagstaff, but down here in Phoenix we're enjoying
    the tulips and hyacinths. I still have pansies blooming strong since
    September. It's 71 out right now, and we'll have light showers each night
    this week. I can live with this. <g>

    Wayne

  3. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 24 Jan 2005 05:13:44p, Cindy Fuller wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    >>It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    >>sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    >>yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    >>snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    >>and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.
    >>
    >>Cindy
    >>

    > Well, they're skiing up in Flagstaff, but down here in Phoenix we're enjoying
    > the tulips and hyacinths. I still have pansies blooming strong since
    > September. It's 71 out right now, and we'll have light showers each night
    > this week. I can live with this. <g>
    >
    > Wayne

    y'all can just BITE ME! ;-) -13dF here this a.m. when I left for work.

    --
    Steve

    Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
    bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...

  4. pennyaline

    pennyaline Guest

    1Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >Cindy Fuller wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > > sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    > > yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    > > snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    > > and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.
    > >
    > > Cindy
    > >

    > Well, they're skiing up in Flagstaff, but down here in Phoenix we're

    enjoying
    > the tulips and hyacinths. I still have pansies blooming strong since
    > September. It's 71 out right now, and we'll have light showers each

    night
    > this week. I can live with this. <g>

    Here in Salt Lake City, it's hovering in the 30s all day and in the 20s at
    night, and fog and smog are entering the 15th day of their marathon January
    run. The air here is dark, gritty and greasy, visibility is about half a
    mile. The air quality is officially "unhealthy." There hasn't been a red
    burn day in a while, but only because the EPA lowered its standards and not
    because the air quality is improving (Bush wants former Utah governor
    Leavitt to take over the EPA... oy! A greater yes-chanting ass-nuzzler was
    never born). There's no rain or snow, but the omnipresent fog and edge of
    freezing temperatures create a glaze of pseudosleet on everything. The good
    news is there's no wind to create a wind chill. The bad news is a breeze is
    badly needed 'round heeyuh.

    <Meanwhile, in Park City...>

  5. >
    >y'all can just BITE ME! ;-)

    Heh heh, my sentiments, too. :)
    Been in the midwest all my life, and have never grown to hate winter
    any less. It just makes spring and summer all that much sweeter.

    This is our first winter with a hot tub, though, and I've been
    determined to use it. Dang if it isn't wild sitting in that steamy
    water surrounded by snowdrifts.

  6. "Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    > yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    > snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    > and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.
    >
    > Cindy

    Pfffbbbt!

    Felice
    on Cape Cod, who can't even get out her front door

  7. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >>y'all can just BITE ME! ;-)

    > Heh heh, my sentiments, too. :)
    > Been in the midwest all my life, and have never grown to hate winter
    > any less. It just makes spring and summer all that much sweeter.
    >
    > This is our first winter with a hot tub, though, and I've been
    > determined to use it. Dang if it isn't wild sitting in that steamy
    > water surrounded by snowdrifts.

    I know the feeling. Friends of ours got one last summer and it's out on
    their porch. We rang in the new year sitting in it with snow falling and
    sipping various drinks. It was only at 100dF so staying in wasn't an
    issue. Very nice night, although we were stepping rather lively from the
    tub to the house when we got out! ;-)

    We talked about getting one but I'm afraid that once the novelty wears
    off it'll just become another PITA that I'd have to take care of and not
    use.

    --
    Steve

    Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
    bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...

  8. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    "Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > sunny.

    It was a gorgeous, sunny, 60's day in the Houston area. Tomorrow and
    Wednesday will be in the 70's.

    Who says the weather here sucks? ;)

    Mary

  9. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    MareCat wrote:
    > "Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    >>sunny.

    > It was a gorgeous, sunny, 60's day in the Houston area. Tomorrow and
    > Wednesday will be in the 70's.
    >
    > Who says the weather here sucks? ;)
    >
    > Mary

    Talk to me in June... (or even earlier)

    --
    Steve

    Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
    bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...

  10. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    MareCat wrote:

    > "Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > > sunny.

    > It was a gorgeous, sunny, 60's day in the Houston area. Tomorrow and
    > Wednesday will be in the 70's.
    > Who says the weather here sucks? ;)

    High in the Texas mountains, it was 65 today, lite wind and a raindrop over
    on the west side.
    Edrena

  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Wayne wrote:

    > Well, they're skiing up in Flagstaff, but down here in Phoenix we're
    > enjoying the tulips and hyacinths. I still have pansies blooming
    > strong since September. It's 71 out right now, and we'll have light
    > showers each night this week. I can live with this. <g>

    Uh-huh...How about you give us a weather report in August?

    Bob

  12. On Mon 24 Jan 2005 07:19:05p, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Well, they're skiing up in Flagstaff, but down here in Phoenix we're
    >> enjoying the tulips and hyacinths. I still have pansies blooming
    >> strong since September. It's 71 out right now, and we'll have light
    >> showers each night this week. I can live with this. <g>

    > Uh-huh...How about you give us a weather report in August?
    >
    > Bob

    I can tell you now that it will be 112-118°F and I will either be in the pool
    or in an air conditioned space! The rest of the country stays in from the
    cold during winter. We stay in from the heat during summer.

    Wayne

  13. "pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:eek:[email protected]
    snip
    > Here in Salt Lake City, it's hovering in the 30s all day and in the 20s at
    > night, and fog and smog are entering the 15th day of their marathon
    > January
    > run. The air here is dark, gritty and greasy, visibility is about half a
    > mile. The air quality is officially "unhealthy." There hasn't been a red
    > burn day in a while, but only because the EPA lowered its standards and
    > not
    > because the air quality is improving (Bush wants former Utah governor
    > Leavitt to take over the EPA... oy! A greater yes-chanting ass-nuzzler was
    > never born). There's no rain or snow, but the omnipresent fog and edge of
    > freezing temperatures create a glaze of pseudosleet on everything. The
    > good
    > news is there's no wind to create a wind chill. The bad news is a breeze
    > is
    > badly needed 'round heeyuh.
    >
    > <Meanwhile, in Park City...>
    >
    >So that's where all this inversion junk is coming from! Keep it down
    >south, will you? Here in ID our valley temps should be in the high 40's.
    >Because of the inversion, it's high 20's in the valleys and high 40's on
    >the ski slopes. I'm sick of this constant fog, dreary days. All the winds
    >and storms veer to the north just before they get here to clear us out.
    >Bah!

    Janet

  14. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon 24 Jan 2005 07:19:05p, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    > > Uh-huh...How about you give us a weather report in August?
    > >
    > > Bob

    > I can tell you now that it will be 112-118°F and I will either be in the

    pool
    > or in an air conditioned space! The rest of the country stays in from the
    > cold during winter. We stay in from the heat during summer.
    >
    > Wayne

    LOL. That's how it is with us in Houston. Everywhere has A/C here, so people
    just stay indoors (or in a pool) during the hotter months. This time of year
    (~October - April) we're out enjoying ourselves. It's the reverse of how it
    is with our families up north. They do lots of outdoor activities in the
    summer, and then hole up all winter.

    Mary

  15. On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Pixmaker wrote:

    > Here in Fort Lauderdale, it was bitter cold last night.
    >
    > Got down to 52°F.

    BITTER COLD???? Sounds like a sauna to me!!!

    MK, in Buffalo, NY.

  16. Pixmaker

    Pixmaker Guest

    Here in Fort Lauderdale, it was bitter cold last night.

    Got down to 52°F.

    Pixmaker in FLL
    ==========================
    It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
    ==========================
    (...Think the humidity's bad?
    You should watch us vote!)

  17. Tony P.

    Tony P. Guest

    In article <cjfullerSPAMORAMA-E60D9C.16133624012005
    @news1.west.earthlink.net>, [email protected] says...
    > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    > yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    > snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    > and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.

    I do wish it was economical to ship snow. We've got entirely too much of
    it around here. It's sloppy, slippery and just disgusting.

    It's making commutes ugly too because they did a lousy job plowing the
    city. For example, what normally should be a ten minute ride home took
    30 minutes tonight. Grrrr.

  18. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    > > sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    > > yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    > > snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    > > and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.
    > >
    > > Cindy

    > Pfffbbbt!

    If it will make you all feel better, rain is supposed to move in
    tonight. No snow for the mountains, though.

    OB Food: Another advantage of living in Seattle (other than gloating to
    one's snowed-in cronies back east) is the availability of crab. I just
    bought one for under $3 a pound. I plan to serve it with some papaya
    salsa, mashed yams, and some green vegetable to be determined.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  19. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Tony P. wrote:
    > In article <cjfullerSPAMORAMA-E60D9C.16133624012005
    > @news1.west.earthlink.net>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >>It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful day here in Seattle. High in the mid 50's and
    >>sunny. In addition, we have our first crocus blooming in the front
    >>yard. All of this lovely weather comes at the expense of the skiers,
    >>snowboarders, and ski slope operators. I'm sure they would pay shipping
    >>and handling to bring the East Coast snow to the Cascades.

    > I do wish it was economical to ship snow. We've got entirely too much of
    > it around here. It's sloppy, slippery and just disgusting.
    >
    > It's making commutes ugly too because they did a lousy job plowing the
    > city. For example, what normally should be a ten minute ride home took
    > 30 minutes tonight. Grrrr.

    As much as I hate to say it, Colorado could use some, too.
    We've had highs in the 60's and 70's in Denver for the past week.
    I've (honestly) seen people walking around in sandals and shorts.

    gloria p