OT: Nothing says good mornin than...

Gabby wrote:

> "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>Never shoot to maime.>
>>>
>>>All the best,
>>>
>>>Andy

>>That's what my father always said > Never shoot to maime.> . If your life
>>is in danger it you or them.

> That's what cops are taught: shoot twice at body mass, check, if not down,
> shoot again. That said, we have nothing but a shot gun in the house and
> that is disassembled and I don't think we have any cartridges for it since
> it's been years since DH has been hunting.
>
> DH had some WWII vintage guns he'd inherited from his dad, but I couldn't
> live with those and 3 kids in the house. Before you say "teach the kids
> not to touch them, that guns aren't toys", that's what DH said. I had to
> remind him that his father had taught him the same thing but it didn't stop
> him from playing with the Luger and discharging it in the house, narrowly
> missing his brother's head in the process. He saw my point and some happy
> gun collector now has the two guns. I sleep better at night.
>
> Gabby

A better choice might have been to just not have any ammo in the house
rather than getting rid of a family heirloom.

Bob

kevnbro wrote:

> No bats, no guns, no flood-lights or security systems- just well
> locked doors and windows.
> The closest thing I have to guns is a drawer full of rubberbands and a
> 409 bottle set on "stream"... always set on stream. kev

And you have probably never had to use them for self defines :)

I don't have a problem with guns. I own a number of them myself, including
handguns. They are all safely locked up. If I hear a strange sound it
never occurs to me to go running to the gun cabinet. Sometimes I lock my
doors when I go to bed. I leave them unlocked when I am working in the
yard and when I go for a walk with the dogs. I sometimes leave them
unlocked when I go out for a few hours. I have a brother living nearby who
never locks his door.

Unfortunately, some of the gun nuts out there insist on their need go a gun
for self defines and are just itching for a chance to defend themselves.

"Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Never shoot to maime.>
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> That's what my father always said > Never shoot to maime.> . If your
>> life is in danger it you or them.

> That's what cops are taught: shoot twice at body mass, check, if not down,
> shoot again. That said, we have nothing but a shot gun in the house and
> that is disassembled and I don't think we have any cartridges for it since
> it's been years since DH has been hunting.
>
> DH had some WWII vintage guns he'd inherited from his dad, but I couldn't
> live with those and 3 kids in the house. Before you say "teach the kids
> not to touch them, that guns aren't toys", that's what DH said. I had to
> remind him that his father had taught him the same thing but it didn't
> stop him from playing with the Luger and discharging it in the house,
> narrowly missing his brother's head in the process. He saw my point and
> some happy gun collector now has the two guns. I sleep better at night.
>
> Gabby

My uncle shot himself as a teenager with a Luger playing with guns at a
friends house. They thought they had unloaded it. hmmm. At first he had it
pointed it at his head, then his abdomen and pulled the trigger.
Fortunately, a human can live just fine with half their intestines.

I saw a show on teenage boys (about 16-17 range from all walks of life) and
hand guns. Some 20/20 or 60 minutes kind of thing. They interviewed the
boys and talked to them about gun safety. Most of the boys adamant about
gun danger and safety knowledge. Then they interviewed the parents. They
talked about how their boys had been instructed about gun safety and would
never play with a gun. Then they had the boys clean out a utility closet in
there was a hidden hand gun. EVERY one of them played with the gun AND
didn't report it as being in the closet. It was SO disheartening. We can
teach them safety, but still lock them up or get rid of them.

Lynne

I have one of those 2 key locks on my front door too. Came with the house
too. I changed all the door knobs and locks last year, because they were
old and failing. Anyhow had a locksmith out to tell me how to remove the
double key deadbolt. There are no screws showing and I couldn't figure it
out. He didn't know! haha I figure one of these days I'll go to Lowe's or
something and see if someone there knows.

Lynne

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:

> I've studied my state and federal gun laws to the point I should have a
> degree. I have a good attorney. I've had excellent advice from cops. It's
> not play. It's life and death.
>
> But you speak the truth.
>
> Don't shoot someone in retreat, only as a last resort to save your and
> loved ones lives. That's self defense plain and simple. Out in public,
> knowing your background is also vital if you can't take cover. I could go
> on and on. Practice and being a good shot is also vital. Never shoot to
> maime, etc.

Sounds like you have it under control, and I jumped to a conclusion.

For anybody else planning self-defense in their home, know the law and
practice your speech. It doesn't matter so much what you do, but what
you say. Say the wrong thing, and you're in jail. Say the right thing,
and you aren't.

This happened in my town a few years back. A guy got out of prison one
morning and went to break into a house. The resident upstairs heard the
noise and took a baseball bat downstairs. He chased the guy around and
whacked him a few times. When the police came, the resident figured
that it was OK that he had whacked the intruder, since he had broken
into the house. The police arrested the resident and put him in jail.
After somebody explained the right words to the resident, he tried to
change his story, but it was too late.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1139262537.550421.72720
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

>>Call me paranoid. helpless troll. I take responsibility for my life at
>>home or elsewhere. You're the stupidest person, proud of your rubber
>>bands and 409? HA!

> thanks for making my next point Andy...
>
> We are fortunate in this country to have people lobbying for stricter
> gun control, protesting concealed weapons laws and the right to carry-
> the last thing we need are people like you in your easily angered state
> walking our streets loaded to the gills with an itchy trigger finger...
> unless of course, it's a bat that pisses you off.... not that you could
> hit one with a 45 cal. anyway.
> Nonetheless, i'm sure your story of morning machismo was a big hit
> with the ladies. kev

I wasn't clearing the house of bats. That's just how it turned out.

You don't know me and you call me easily angered. You couldn't be farther
from the truth.

You're just an anti-gun nut. Someday you'll need one and not have one.
Cops are never seconds away like you think.

<EOT>

Andy
Pennsylvania
PA Sheriff's Assn. (Honorable)
NRA Life
007

"King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have one of those 2 key locks on my front door too. Came with the
> house too. I changed all the door knobs and locks last year, because
> they were old and failing. Anyhow had a locksmith out to tell me how
> to remove the double key deadbolt. There are no screws showing and I
> couldn't figure it out. He didn't know! haha I figure one of these
> days I'll go to Lowe's or something and see if someone there knows.
>
> Lynne

If it's a Yitan, it uses special "reverse opposing quarter point" screws
requiring a special tool to remove. A good locksmith would know this.

Andy

>You don't know me and you call me easily angered. You couldn't be farther
>from the truth.

>You're just an anti-gun nut. Someday you'll need one and not have one.
>Cops are never seconds away like you think.

Ok... my mistake... you're not easily angered just easily provoked
into name calling.

And as I don't know you neither do you know me... i'm not anti-gun- as
a matter of fact, having served in the Marine Corps and having been
responsible and accountable for weapons that make your 45 look like my
bottle of 409, i'm very comfortable with gun ownership.
I'm just glad you don't live next door to me. kev

"King's Crown" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> That's what my father always said > Never shoot to maime.> . If
>>> your life is in danger it you or them.

>> That's what cops are taught: shoot twice at body mass, check, if not
>> down, shoot again. That said, we have nothing but a shot gun in the
>> house and that is disassembled and I don't think we have any
>> cartridges for it since it's been years since DH has been hunting.
>>
>> DH had some WWII vintage guns he'd inherited from his dad, but I
>> couldn't live with those and 3 kids in the house. Before you say
>> "teach the kids not to touch them, that guns aren't toys", that's
>> what DH said. I had to remind him that his father had taught him the
>> same thing but it didn't stop him from playing with the Luger and
>> discharging it in the house, narrowly missing his brother's head in
>> the process. He saw my point and some happy gun collector now has
>> the two guns. I sleep better at night.
>>
>> Gabby

> My uncle shot himself as a teenager with a Luger playing with guns at
> a friends house. They thought they had unloaded it. hmmm. At first
> he had it pointed it at his head, then his abdomen and pulled the
> trigger. Fortunately, a human can live just fine with half their
> intestines.
>
> I saw a show on teenage boys (about 16-17 range from all walks of
> life) and hand guns. Some 20/20 or 60 minutes kind of thing. They
> interviewed the boys and talked to them about gun safety. Most of the
> boys adamant about gun danger and safety knowledge. Then they
> interviewed the parents. They talked about how their boys had been
> instructed about gun safety and would never play with a gun. Then
> they had the boys clean out a utility closet in there was a hidden
> hand gun. EVERY one of them played with the gun AND didn't report it
> as being in the closet. It was SO disheartening. We can teach them
> safety, but still lock them up or get rid of them.
>
> Lynne

My father's guns are still in the house. Locked in a gun cabinet. I don't
want guns in my home but I feel that people that want to keep them should
be able to. When I lived in the city (most of my adult life) several of us
had hand guns. Betty was the most notorious. She would shoot and kill
anyone. What is tragic, to me is, when kids get ahold of them and don't
know how to use them. It all goes back to education IMO.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

On 2006-02-06, kevnbro <[email protected]> wrote:

> We are fortunate in this country to have people lobbying for stricter
> gun control.....

Yes, you are indeed very fortunate. Unfortunately, what is totally
lost on you clueless anti-gun twits is the basic reality that your
right to voice such views were hard won with those same guns you so
deplore. Idiots.

nb

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-02-06, kevnbro <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> We are fortunate in this country to have people lobbying for stricter
>>gun control.....

> Yes, you are indeed very fortunate. Unfortunately, what is totally
> lost on you clueless anti-gun twits is the basic reality that your
> right to voice such views were hard won with those same guns you so
> deplore. Idiots.
>
> nb

That was beautiful. <sniff> May I quote you?

Seriously,
Bob

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-02-06, kevnbro <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> We are fortunate in this country to have people lobbying for stricter
>> gun control.....

> Yes, you are indeed very fortunate. Unfortunately, what is totally
> lost on you clueless anti-gun twits is the basic reality that your
> right to voice such views were hard won with those same guns you so
> deplore. Idiots.
>
> nb

What an astonishing stupid statement. The rights were won with carefully
regulated guns in the hands of trained soldiers, not with Saturday night
specials in the hands of criminals, assault weapons in the hands of
lunatics, or handguns in the hands of pinhead citizens who usually end up
shooting themselves, their spouse, their neighbor, or their children.

Not to mention that the right to lobby is present in many countries that
have much stricter gun control than we do.

--
Peter Aitken

"Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:1139251814.984837.82210 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > No bats, no guns, no flood-lights or security systems- just well
>> > locked doors and windows.
>> > The closest thing I have to guns is a drawer full of rubberbands
>> > and a
>> > 409 bottle set on "stream"... always set on stream. kev

>> Yeah, right!!! LOL! Rubber bands. Good cat toy maybe.
>>
>> Ever door in my house has two doublesided keyed deadbolts. You need a
>> key to get in and out. I don't give a **** that it's illegal. Break
>> into my house and you're gonna be begging for your life when you try
>> to escape, if I'm home. I was ready to shoot to kill. You had your
>> window cleaner.
>>
>> You live hidden in your apartment with your rose colored glasses and
>> good luck on ya. Troll.

> Andy, what are of the US do you live in? I'm on the East Side of
> Indianapolis, and although I don't currently own a gun (a dispute
> between my ex-husband and I...if he doesn't hand them over soon, I'll
> just report them stolen and tell the cops where they are), I have in
> the past. Right now, despite the fact that I live in a very bad
> neighborhood, my only protection is a baseball bat, a demented cat
> with scimitar claws (and a hatred of everyone who isn't me or my
> boyfriend) and (are you ready for this?) my boyfriend's skill with his
> compound bow.
>
> Luckily, I haven't had a break-in, and the neighbors are convinced I'm
> nuts and don't mess with me.
>
> Lisa Ann

If the guns are registered in your name you deserve them back. Your ex is
not legally allowed possession. If any existing charges filed by you,
such as a pfa, criminal harassment, him having an existing felony
criminal history, call the cops and they'll happily throw his ass in
jail. Major federal gun offense.

You'll probably have to hire a lawyer to petition the sheriff in court to
get them back. You better have your registration records/serial numbers
etc., to show the cops before they take action.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd love to play one on TV.

All the best,

Andy

"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Andy <q> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >

> >> Gotta find that dang bat ("little hangers" I call 'em) and let it
> >> out. I'm good at it.

> > What sort of bats are these, Andy? They must be very small ones. We
> > get a lot of bats in the palm trees in our front and back yards, but I
> > wouldn't want to have one in the house because they're a little large.
> > They're fruit bats (locally known as flying foxes) and they're quite a
> > large bat (have a wingspan around 1 metre or larger) - megabats as
> > opposed to the insectivorous microbats (which I assume yours are). I
> > think the little ones are cute too, I just don't see any around here.
> >
> > http://www.sydneybats.org.au/cms/index.php?bat_images

> I'm talking microbats. Maybe 10" wingspan. Give me a fruit bat any day,
> just keep your snakes and spiders!!!!!

LOL - Rhonda, I gotta agree with Andy on this one...I would *love* to go to
Australia some day...but honestly, after reading about the spiders you have
down there! I'm already phobic (I discovered that I can actually break
glass if a spider happens to join me in the shower - just with the power of
my screams!), so I think I'd be a terrible tourist. It's a shame,
too...I've read Bill Bryson's book, "In a Sunburnt Country", and just knew
I'd love it down there...except for the )(*&(%#^ spiders!

Fruit bats wouldn't bother me either...the only reason I don't like the
itty-bitty bats I get up here is because my cat gets upset and starts
demanding wings.

Lisa Ann

On 2006-02-06, Peter Aitken <[email protected]> wrote:

> What an astonishing stupid statement. The rights were won with carefully
> regulated guns in the hands of trained soldiers....

Those soldiers are who? Citizens like you and me. Or maybe not you.
Have you served your country? I have. That gives me the right to own
a gun. Or it would if it were not for the spineless weasels who
steadfastly deny reality and cower behind those who would rule them.
The astonishly stupid ones are you who actually believe gun laws stop
anyone except honest law abiding citizens from acquiring and having
guns.

I recently sold one of my guns, because it's the law. The crack
dealer down the street didn't. Idiot.

nb

notbob <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Have you served your country? I have. That gives me the right to own
> a gun.

You WERE honorably discharged for your service?

I'm of the opinion that everyone who turns 18 in America with a clean
criminal record be issued a .45 semi-auto and training free of charge.
That's what I call "National Home Defense."

The gang-bangers get firearms easier than spit. That's OK with the anti-gun
nuts!

Andy

"Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
>

> > Ever door in my house has two doublesided keyed deadbolts. You need a

key
> > to get in and out. I don't give a **** that it's illegal. Break into my
> > house and you're gonna be begging for your life when you try to escape,
> > if I'm home. I was ready to shoot to kill. You had your window cleaner.

> You may wish to talk to a lawyer. Killing somebody who is trying to
> escape after breaking into your house may be considered murder,
> depending on state law.

I know how it works in both Illinois and Indiana...once an intruder is
inside your house, you have reason to fear for your safety and are entitled
to defend yourself with deadly force. You don't have to provide an exit for
them - besides, if they've broken into your house, they've already
established an exit - who cares if it's a basement window that they can't
get to in time? That takes care of the criminal side of it in those 2
states.

In Illinois, there are a few oddball exceptions, based on municipality.
Several Chicago Suburbs have totally banned guns - both hand and long -
while Illinois law allows you to defend yourself, the local law may bring
you up on a gun charge if you use a gun to defend yourself. At the moment,
the only case that comes to mind is Oak Park, where a store owner who was
working late was confronted with an armed robber after hours, pulled out a
shotgun and blew the guy away. The state didn't charge him with murder, but
he was charged with a gun violation. The bad guy, being dead, wasn't
charged of course.

In both states, you're technically not allowed to use deadly force to
protect your property, only your life - or the lives of others being
threatened. The exception is the home; if someone breaks into your house
*while you are there*, the state's assumption is that the bad guy meant to
do you physical harm. Now, if you come home while a robbery is in
progress...that can get iffy. Then it depends on where the body is found.
If the body is found completely within the confines of the house, the
prosecutor probably won't do anything. If, however, the body is found
outside - on the porch, in the yard, in a detached garage - you run the risk
of being charged with manslaughter. (Hence the Hoosier rule...":Shoot'em
and drag'em inside!") And if, like a case we had a few years ago, you
actually *chase* them out of the house, and then gun them down 2 blocks
away...well, that'll get you a murder charge.

Lisa Ann

"King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Never shoot to maime.>
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > Andy

> That's what my father always said > Never shoot to maime.> . If your life
> is in danger it you or them.

My Daddy taught me that too...right after he taught me that all guns are
loaded. If someone points a gun at you, assume it's loaded and they intend
to kill you, and do what you have to do to survive. (In my case, last year
when I had a gun held to my head, survival meant cooperating.) And because
all guns are loaded (even if you've just unloaded it yourself), know that if
you point a gun at someone - even if they just *watched* you unload it -
that someone has a right to defend themselves.

And as for shooting to kill vs shooting to maim...I'm not a sniper, I can't
go for a headshot (bad eyesight)...but I can go for the torso, and know
about where the heart is. If I end up maiming someone, it's their luck, not
my intent.

Lisa Ann