OT - Obnoxious customers & limits

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Julia Altshuler, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]ynes.gang> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed 21 Dec 2005 05:39:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > Ophelia?
    >

    >> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> In article
    >>> <[email protected]>,

    >>> I've only got about four good recipes, G. I love Ho Hos. And
    >>> they're
    >>> seasonal!! "0-)

    >> and there... I thought a ho in US was something completely different
    >> <WEG>
    >>
    >> O who has seen the Jerry Springer show

    > Then you can just imagine what a ho ho is!

    LOL really!!!!!!! btw Springer has a show in UK now. I saw part of it
    yesterday. There is not the confrontation (where people stand nose to
    nose and point a lot) I have seen in the US show:) It seems calmer but
    nastier, if that is possible

  2. On Wed 21 Dec 2005 06:23:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Wed 21 Dec 2005 05:39:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Ophelia?
    >>

    >>> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>> message news:[email protected]

    >>> and there... I thought a ho in US was something completely different
    >>> <WEG>
    >>>
    >>> O who has seen the Jerry Springer show

    >> Then you can just imagine what a ho ho is!

    > LOL really!!!!!!! btw Springer has a show in UK now. I saw part of it
    > yesterday. There is not the confrontation (where people stand nose to
    > nose and point a lot) I have seen in the US show:) It seems calmer but
    > nastier, if that is possible

    I think his show is vile and disgusting. It wouldn't matter what country
    it's in. What's even scarier is that he has so many viewers/fans.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote

    > LOL really!!!!!!! btw Springer has a show in UK now. I saw part of it
    > yesterday. There is not the confrontation (where people stand nose to
    > nose and point a lot) I have seen in the US show:) It seems calmer but
    > nastier, if that is possible

    I can't believe he's still kicking around. I've never seen his show except
    for bits and pieces, you'd have to be living under a rock not to have.
    But then, people screaming at each other, pulling hair, crying because
    they aren't their baby's daddy, blah blah blah, makes me turn the channel
    in a heartbeat. Nasty business.

    I'd much rather watch a murder mystery or a real life murder detective show.
    If they're dead, I'm all over that! (smile)

    nancy

  4. On Wed 21 Dec 2005 06:50:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> LOL really!!!!!!! btw Springer has a show in UK now. I saw part of it
    >> yesterday. There is not the confrontation (where people stand nose to
    >> nose and point a lot) I have seen in the US show:) It seems calmer but
    >> nastier, if that is possible

    > I can't believe he's still kicking around. I've never seen his show
    > except for bits and pieces, you'd have to be living under a rock not to
    > have. But then, people screaming at each other, pulling hair, crying
    > because they aren't their baby's daddy, blah blah blah, makes me turn
    > the channel in a heartbeat. Nasty business.
    >
    > I'd much rather watch a murder mystery or a real life murder detective
    > show. If they're dead, I'm all over that! (smile)

    Me, too, Nancy,

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  5. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed 21 Dec 2005 06:23:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > Ophelia?
    >

    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> On Wed 21 Dec 2005 05:39:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >>> Ophelia?

    >>> Then you can just imagine what a ho ho is!

    >> LOL really!!!!!!! btw Springer has a show in UK now. I saw part of
    >> it
    >> yesterday. There is not the confrontation (where people stand nose
    >> nose and point a lot) I have seen in the US show:) It seems calmer
    >> but
    >> nastier, if that is possible

    > I think his show is vile and disgusting. It wouldn't matter what
    > country
    > it's in. What's even scarier is that he has so many viewers/fans.

    Well I am not a fan. I used to see him when I was home sick after
    surgery a few years ago and watching tv was all I could do. I was
    actually drugged up so a lot of it didn't filter through:)) Yesterday
    when I saw it I was actually looking for something else and he was on
    and I was intrigued to see it was from the North of England. He has a
    lot of trouble with the accent so it must be new. From the little I
    watched I could see he was sorting out problems between the antagonists.
    Very different from what I remember.

  6. On Wed 21 Dec 2005 07:05:13a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Wed 21 Dec 2005 06:23:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Ophelia?
    >>

    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> LOL really!!!!!!! btw Springer has a show in UK now. I saw part of
    >>> it yesterday. There is not the confrontation (where people stand
    >>> nose to nose and point a lot) I have seen in the US show:) It seems
    >>> calmer but nastier, if that is possible

    >> I think his show is vile and disgusting. It wouldn't matter what
    >> country it's in. What's even scarier is that he has so many
    >> viewers/fans.

    > Well I am not a fan. I used to see him when I was home sick after
    > surgery a few years ago and watching tv was all I could do. I was
    > actually drugged up so a lot of it didn't filter through:)) Yesterday

    These days it seems that many of his guests are also drugged up. <g>

    > when I saw it I was actually looking for something else and he was on
    > and I was intrigued to see it was from the North of England. He has a
    > lot of trouble with the accent so it must be new. From the little I
    > watched I could see he was sorting out problems between the antagonists.
    > Very different from what I remember.

    When his original show debuted in 1991, it was a serious talk show with
    some merit. I wasn't a regular viewer, but did watch and enjoyed it from
    time to time. One day it seemed to take a turn for what it is now.

    Apparently his new show is an effort to return to a more serious venue. I
    wonder if the public will let it.

    http://www.who2.com/jerryspringer.html

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  7. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > I think his show is vile and disgusting. It wouldn't matter what country
    > it's in. What's even scarier is that he has so many viewers/fans.

    yet have you noticed how they all look alike?! Fat, bleached blonds,
    missing teeth, terrible grammar and carriage. The men hardly anything to
    write home to mom about themselves....they're all fighting over trailer
    trash, I tell ya. Gives me shivers.

  8. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > When his original show debuted in 1991, it was a serious talk show with
    > some merit. I wasn't a regular viewer, but did watch and enjoyed it from
    > time to time. One day it seemed to take a turn for what it is now.
    >
    > Apparently his new show is an effort to return to a more serious venue. I
    > wonder if the public will let it.
    >
    > http://www.who2.com/jerryspringer.html

    No, he's prostituted himself to the lowest common denominator for me to
    ever take him seriously or respect him. Disgusting. What shocks me is
    that he apparently once was the Mayor of Cincinnati (wasn't it?)?? How'd
    he ever pull that off?

  9. In article <[email protected]ws.monmouth.com>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'd much rather watch a murder mystery or a real life murder detective show.
    > If they're dead, I'm all over that! (smile)

    I call t hem my happy little murders. :) We no longer have
    television, but I still read my happy little murder mysteries.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  10. In article <[email protected]>,

    > > I've only got about four good recipes, G. I love Ho Hos. And they're
    > > seasonal!! "0-)

    > and there... I thought a ho in US was something completely different
    > <WEG>
    >
    > O who has seen the Jerry Springer show

    There's ho's and there's Ho-Ho's. Not the same a'tall, P.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-18-05 - Church review (I think
    I'll become a critic - Rob's been calling me one for years!)

  11. On Wed 21 Dec 2005 04:05:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    Jammin'?

    >> > I've only got about four good recipes, G. I love Ho Hos. And they're
    >> > seasonal!! "0-)

    >> and there... I thought a ho in US was something completely different
    >> <WEG>
    >>
    >> O who has seen the Jerry Springer show

    > There's ho's and there's Ho-Ho's. Not the same a'tall, P.

    Not twin ho's, then? <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  12. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > There's ho's and there's Ho-Ho's. Not the same a'tall, P.

    What is that joke about the Miss American contest? SOmething about only
    having 49 states contestants because no wanted to stand there and say
    "I-da-Ho!"

    lol, yeah yeah, boo hiss.. I can hear it now. :)

  13. Elaine, I hear ya! After many years of serving rude customers, I wrote
    a novel ("Timothy's Take-Out") based on my experiences. I got it
    published, disgruntled service workers everywhere are embracing it, so
    in a manner of speaking I am getting the last laugh. I love it!!

    PJB

  14. The post I wrote the other night on the subject has been found in my
    sent mail. I don't think it ever made it to rfc. The subject has
    pretty much died a natural death now, but I did want to resend this.

    I am a non-commissioned salesperson. I am not stupid. I do a better
    than average job. I'm not perfect, but I'm good. I know the stock
    (especially the cheese and grocery items, not so good on the wine but
    getting better on it). I genuinely like the vast number of my customers
    and enjoy the challenge of selling to the ones who are a tad more
    difficult. I do know that it is my job to put up customers who are
    impatient or rude. All of the parttimers have our stories about the
    customers who insist you walk around the store with them reading the
    labels because they've forgotten their glasses or the ones who ask you
    to look up the availability of some wine they must have because it is
    the only wine they like except that when you ask for the credit number,
    they're all of a sudden unsure if they like it. We find these stories
    funny. I put up with a great deal and don't mind. I realize it is my
    job to do so, and I do it with good grace and humor.

    (My favorites are the people who insist that I play doctor. They come
    in with some dietary restriction like they can't have anything with
    wheat or they must have only pasteurized cheeses. I keep a list of
    pasteurized cheese and know which crackers are wheat-free, but I also
    know that's not really what these customers want. They want to tell me
    about what ails them. They actually feel foiled when I they come in
    asking for something extraordinary, and I'm ready for them. So they
    start negotiating with me. They ask me if it would be alright if they
    ate that cheese over there or tried these chips. I smile pleasantly and
    suggest that they check with their doctor. "Rats! Foiled again" seems
    to be the reaction.)

    But I digress. The point is that I put up with a lot and rather enjoy
    it. I have the reputation for being the Polyanna at the store who puts
    a good spin on everything. I really am pleasant and hard-working, the
    sort who looks around for something to do that will help out without
    being told.

    I agree that money is the deciding factor in sales, but I'd also say
    there are so many variables that it isn't as easy as just counting up
    money. You could have a customer who takes up an hour of a
    salesperson's time for a one dollar sale. That's eating the hourly wage
    when that clerk could have been doing something else that would generate
    more sales. It isn't always easy, or even possible, to say what
    generates the sale. For example, we often get compliments on what a
    cute little store we have and how neat and clean everything is. We
    spend a lot of time on making appealing displays of merchandise, and
    those displays get moved around a lot. As a clerk, I might spend a slow
    minute dusting or cleaning the area under the wine in a display bin.
    Did my time with the sponge and rag convince someone to buy more than
    they would have otherwise if the store weren't that little bit of extra
    clean? Was it my creativity making the chocolate boxes look extra cool
    the way I stacked them up that was responsible for someone buying one
    when they otherwise would have bought only cheese? There are so many
    variables that it is impossible to say.

    At my store, we give out samples of cheese and wine. (The
    store pays for the cheese; the wine vendors pay for the wine.) It is
    possible for a customer to eat up the profit on the sale.

    Now look at the number of variables that go into the salesclerk. This
    is not a national chain where the motto is "make your system foolproof,
    then hire fools." This is a place that requires that the sales help
    have some sort of experience in food or wine or retail when they get the
    job, then put in a lot of time learning the systems and the merchandise
    so they can get even better at sales.

    This is hypothetical here, but if I were someone who was great at
    everything except dealing with the occasional asshat customer, and if I
    got angry enough to quit because I had to deal with C. Asshat, my boss
    would NOT be able to replace me on a dime a dozen basis. I'm not saying
    I'm indispensable, but it would be a while before they found someone as
    reliable, knowledgeable, helpful and friendly as I am. If they did find
    someone pretty good, it would be a while before she learned what I know
    about the store. And during the time it took to train her in, they'd
    LOSE sales because she wouldn't know the right cheeses to recommend and
    wouldn't be as fast and efficient in a thousand little ways.

    About commissions-- I love not working on commission. As it is, the
    sales help can all work as a team. If I'm helping a customer with wine
    and I realize that one of my co-workers can give better service but
    she's at the cash register that moment, I'll say "let's switch," and we
    do. I take over the register, and she helps with the wine. I
    especially love it when Mrs. Boss does this. She knows I'm better on
    the cheese while she's better at gift baskets. We all have slightly
    different styles, and that's great too. I'm very talky and can go on
    and one about the products and can chat up the customers. Some
    customers like that. Others are quieter and make better listeners.
    Other customers prefer that. If we were on commission, besides the
    bookkeeping nightmare, we'd be competing for the customers we know buy
    more, and since we're such a small shop and get so much repeat business,
    we all know who the good customers are. If we were on commission, we'd
    all avoid the non-paying jobs like washing wine glasses. As it is, we
    all cheerfully do the clean-up because we all like taking a break now
    and then, and we can get it by running back to the dishroom.

    Anyway, thanks everyone for the good discussion on the subject. I'm
    feeling a lot more confident now in knowing what the limits are on what
    I should be expected to put up with. Now I'll go back to reading the
    rest of the posts on the subject.

    --Lia

  15. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:

    > I am a non-commissioned salesperson. I am not stupid. I do a better
    > than average job. I'm not perfect, but I'm good. I know the stock
    > (especially the cheese and grocery items, not so good on the wine but
    > getting better on it). I genuinely like the vast number of my customers
    > and enjoy the challenge of selling to the ones who are a tad more
    > difficult. I do know that it is my job to put up customers who are
    > impatient or rude.

    I would give you an award if you could have managed to remain polite with my
    late brother in law.

  16. On 21 Dec 2005 [email protected] wrote:

    > Elaine, I hear ya! After many years of serving rude customers, I wrote
    > a novel ("Timothy's Take-Out") based on my experiences. I got it
    > published, disgruntled service workers everywhere are embracing it, so
    > in a manner of speaking I am getting the last laugh. I love it!!
    >
    > PJB

    Congratulations! You go! Somebody should get some reward out of the
    service business. I'll have to check out your book. Hope it makes you a
    million (or two).

    Elaine

  17. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The post I wrote the other night on the subject has been found in my
    > sent mail. I don't think it ever made it to rfc. The subject has
    > pretty much died a natural death now, but I did want to resend this.

    > --Lia

    Loved your story. Thanks for posting this.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]