OT: "Once upon a time I loved this house;

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by modom, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. modom

    modom Guest

    Now I'm thinkin' about burnin' it down."

    The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine. We're
    having the house leveled. Workers began digging yesterday morning on
    the first of 26 holes around our foundation. The plan was to remove a
    cubic yard from each one, pour a footing, set in blocks, and jack it
    back to normal, shimming with steel plates as they went. But it seems
    that the footing at the beam is wider and deeper than usual, so when I
    came home for lunch today I found a worker in a hole up to his neck
    and still shoveling black "gumbo" dirt. This is major renovation,
    y'all. One of our bathrooms will need a total redo before it's over.
    And my yard will take years to recover.

    Ironically, the current issue of Atomic Ranch magazine has a picture
    of our house in it that I sent in back in the summer. At that time I
    wrote to them of "modest" improvements like fixing the light fixtures.

    OBFood: I had a cheap fried pie for dessert tonight.
    --
    modom

    "My baby's got no clothes
    'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

    -- Chuck E. Weiss

    Tags:

  2. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:14:16 -0600, modom wrote:

    > The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine. We're
    > having the house leveled.

    Sadly, it's typical for a house in Texas.

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:14:16 -0600, modom wrote:
    >
    >> The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine. We're
    >> having the house leveled.

    > Sadly, it's typical for a house in Texas.

    Now, that's annoying, I don't have the original of this post,
    either, could someone quote it for me, even just email it to
    me? I think I must have screwed up my killfile.

    nancy

  4. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    This is so Nancy can see the OP.

    "modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Now I'm thinkin' about burnin' it down."
    >
    > The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine.

    We're
    > having the house leveled. Workers began digging yesterday

    morning on
    > the first of 26 holes around our foundation. The plan was to

    remove a
    > cubic yard from each one, pour a footing, set in blocks, and

    jack it
    > back to normal, shimming with steel plates as they went. But

    it seems
    > that the footing at the beam is wider and deeper than usual, so

    when I
    > came home for lunch today I found a worker in a hole up to his

    neck
    > and still shoveling black "gumbo" dirt. This is major

    renovation,
    > y'all. One of our bathrooms will need a total redo before it's

    over.
    > And my yard will take years to recover.
    >
    > Ironically, the current issue of Atomic Ranch magazine has a

    picture
    > of our house in it that I sent in back in the summer. At that

    time I
    > wrote to them of "modest" improvements like fixing the light

    fixtures.

    > OBFood: I had a cheap fried pie for dessert tonight.
    > --
    > modom
    >
    > "My baby's got no clothes
    > 'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."
    >
    > -- Chuck E. Weiss

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Kathy" <[email protected]mcast.net> wrote

    > This is so Nancy can see the OP.

    Thank you so much, Kathy. I am relieved to know that
    Mike is not having his house *leveled*, but leveled. I
    thought he meant demolishing it.

    nancy

  6. On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:56:13 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >"sf" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:14:16 -0600, modom wrote:
    >>
    >>> The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine. We're
    >>> having the house leveled.

    >> Sadly, it's typical for a house in Texas.

    >Now, that's annoying, I don't have the original of this post,
    >either, could someone quote it for me, even just email it to
    >me? I think I must have screwed up my killfile.

    Here ya go, Nancy:

[...]

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  7. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Thank you so much, Kathy. I am relieved to know that
    > Mike is not having his house *leveled*, but leveled. I
    > thought he meant demolishing it.

    That's what I thought too! ;-)

    I wrote yesterday about my last house built in 1982 that had some major
    issues. The major structural problem was when the site was graded and
    compacted before construction, it was not done properly. In addition, the
    foundation was not constructed well. As a result, the foundation collapsed
    under the shifting soil. I haven't lived there for many years, and the
    problem still has not been corrected. It would have required something
    similar to what modom was describing. The telltale sign that nothing has
    been done is the landscaping I planted next to the house in the 1980s is
    still there. It would have to be removed to address the foundation problem.

    Speaking of having a house *leveled*, there was a beautiful 1920s era
    English Tudor house in Washington, DC in perfectly good shape demolished to
    built a crass new mansion for a local business mogul, Herbert Haft, two
    decades ago. Here's part of a news clip about it that's kind of funny:

    --
    The house, like nearly everything else about Herbert Haft, is controversial.
    In 1985, Haft bought an elegant 30-room English Tudor mansion on that site

    The new house is currently for sale for $20 million, if anyone here cares to
    buy it. Here's a pointer to the MLS listing:

    http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1052936210

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  8. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:02:01 -0800, sf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:14:16 -0600, modom wrote:
    >
    >> The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine. We're
    >> having the house leveled.

    >Sadly, it's typical for a house in Texas.
    >--

    Really? Funny, when I first read that he's having the house
    "leveled," I thought he meant torn down!

    Sue(tm)

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "wff_ng_7" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Thank you so much, Kathy. I am relieved to know that
    >> Mike is not having his house *leveled*, but leveled. I
    >> thought he meant demolishing it.

    > That's what I thought too! ;-)

    I know he loves that place, I thought, oh no!

    > I wrote yesterday about my last house built in 1982 that had some major
    > issues. The major structural problem was when the site was graded and
    > compacted before construction, it was not done properly. In addition, the
    > foundation was not constructed well. As a result, the foundation collapsed
    > under the shifting soil.

    What a nightmare.

    > I haven't lived there for many years, and the problem still has not been
    > corrected. It would have required something similar to what modom was
    > describing. The telltale sign that nothing has been done is the
    > landscaping I planted next to the house in the 1980s is still there. It
    > would have to be removed to address the foundation problem.

    Probably all the doors stick. And worse. Geez.

    > Speaking of having a house *leveled*, there was a beautiful 1920s era
    > English Tudor house in Washington, DC in perfectly good shape demolished
    > to built a crass new mansion for a local business mogul, Herbert Haft, two
    > decades ago. Here's part of a news clip about it that's kind of funny:

    We lost an historic house near me due to some moron's incompetence,
    I am so upset about it I can't even bring myself to think about your story.
    Damn shame, isn't it?

    nancy

  10. modom

    modom Guest

    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:14:16 -0600, modom wrote:
    >
    >> The words are Steve Earl's, but the sentiment is almost mine. We're
    >> having the house leveled.

    >Sadly, it's typical for a house in Texas.

    In this part of Texas, that's true, but in more sandy soil I believe
    foundations are more stable.

    --
    modom

    "My baby's got no clothes
    'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

    -- Chuck E. Weiss

  11. modom

    modom Guest

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:26:54 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Kathy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> This is so Nancy can see the OP.

    >Thank you so much, Kathy. I am relieved to know that
    >Mike is not having his house *leveled*, but leveled. I
    >thought he meant demolishing it.
    >
    >nancy

    Oops. I should have phrased that more carefully.

    Here's the chain of events, as I see them: We bought a house knowing
    it had some foundation trouble. We moved in with our dogs. One dog
    is senile and will not remain continent on the carpet. We got another
    dog, a puppy. He will not be house trained when the senile one
    continues to piddle on the rug. We bought bamboo flooring to replace
    the rug. To improve the look of the house and to inhibit piddling.
    The slab is too cattywompus to lay the floor. I don't know how to
    spell cattywompus. We hired a contractor to level the slab. Now
    there are seriously scary holes at many places around the foundation.
    More are promised. One will be inside.

    And they are CHARGING us THOUSANDS for this.

    That's one expensive puppy. He sure is pretty, though.

    OBFood: Hebrew National franks with kraut and caramelized onions for
    dinner tonight. No picture.