OT (or On Topic?): Bodybuilding

Bob M

Guest
As a youngin', I was heavy into bodybuilding for a while. I started
lifting weights when I was 15/16, when Arnold was on his way out of
bodybuilding. I went so far as to buy tickets to see a Mr. Olympia
contest (which, sadly, I never attended because it was scheduled the same
day as a football game in which I was to play).

This weekend on Discovery High Definition, they broadcast the 2004 Mr.
Olympia contest. I watched the posing portion for two of the contestants.
My, how things have changed. Arnold was 6'2" tall and weighed about 235 I
think for his Olympia victories. The two contestants I saw were 5'10" and
280 (!) and 5'8.5" and 265 (!). That's astounding! The first contestant
if four inches shorter than Arnold yet weighs almost 50 pounds more. I
know that low carb dieting is in style for bodybuilders, but I can't
believe this dramatic weight gain is due to low carb (or better training,
for that matter). There has to be a little bit of drugs involved here, as
these guys looked unreal.

Anyway, I'm shocked at how bodybuilders went from being somewhat unearthly
to being completely unreal.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:38:15 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Bob M wrote:
> :: As a youngin', I was heavy into bodybuilding for a while. I started
> :: lifting weights when I was 15/16, when Arnold was on his way out of
> :: bodybuilding. I went so far as to buy tickets to see a Mr. Olympia
> :: contest (which, sadly, I never attended because it was scheduled the
> :: same day as a football game in which I was to play).
> ::
> :: This weekend on Discovery High Definition, they broadcast the 2004
> :: Mr. Olympia contest. I watched the posing portion for two of the
> :: contestants. My, how things have changed. Arnold was 6'2" tall and
> :: weighed about 235 I think for his Olympia victories. The two
> :: contestants I saw were 5'10" and 280 (!) and 5'8.5" and 265 (!).
> :: That's astounding! The first contestant if four inches shorter than
> :: Arnold yet weighs almost 50 pounds more. I know that low carb
> :: dieting is in style for bodybuilders,
>
> For cutting, not for bulking...

Oh. Do they use high carb/low fat/high protein for bulking?

> but I can't believe this
> :: dramatic weight gain is due to low carb (or better training, for
> :: that matter). There has to be a little bit of drugs involved here,
> :: as these guys looked unreal.
>
> A little bit? Man...they are major dopers. NONE of them are natural.

I figured as much. While steriods have been used forever in bodybuilding,
I was hoping to see more of a move toward natural bodybuilding.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

Bob M wrote:
[...]

:: --
:: Bob M
:: remove ".x" to reply

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bob M wrote:

> Anyway, I'm shocked at how bodybuilders went from being somewhat unearthly
> to being completely unreal.
>
> --
> Bob M
> remove ".x" to reply

Yeah, and you should see them hit an inside fastball! ;)

KeS

(It does seem appropriate to be watching bodybuilding in High Definition,
though!)

Bob M wrote:
:: On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:38:15 -0500, Roger Zoul
:: <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Bob M wrote:
::::: As a youngin', I was heavy into bodybuilding for a while. I
::::: started lifting weights when I was 15/16, when Arnold was on his
::::: way out of bodybuilding. I went so far as to buy tickets to see
::::: a Mr. Olympia contest (which, sadly, I never attended because it
::::: was scheduled the same day as a football game in which I was to
::::: play).
:::::
::::: This weekend on Discovery High Definition, they broadcast the 2004
::::: Mr. Olympia contest. I watched the posing portion for two of the
::::: contestants. My, how things have changed. Arnold was 6'2" tall
::::: and weighed about 235 I think for his Olympia victories. The two
::::: contestants I saw were 5'10" and 280 (!) and 5'8.5" and 265 (!).
::::: That's astounding! The first contestant if four inches shorter
::::: than Arnold yet weighs almost 50 pounds more. I know that low
::::: carb dieting is in style for bodybuilders,
:::
::: For cutting, not for bulking...
::
:: Oh. Do they use high carb/low fat/high protein for bulking?
::

I'm not sure if they really use a low fat diet, but it is definitely high
protein and high calories.

::: but I can't believe this
::::: dramatic weight gain is due to low carb (or better training, for
::::: that matter). There has to be a little bit of drugs involved
::::: here, as these guys looked unreal.
:::
::: A little bit? Man...they are major dopers. NONE of them are
::: natural.
::
:: I figured as much. While steriods have been used forever in
:: bodybuilding, I was hoping to see more of a move toward natural
:: bodybuilding.

No such luck. I think most pros use something these days. As for BB, no
way those guys could become such monsters by natural means.

::
:::::

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:03:14 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bob M wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm shocked at how bodybuilders went from being somewhat
>> unearthly
>> to being completely unreal.
>>
>> --
>> Bob M
>> remove ".x" to reply

> Yeah, and you should see them hit an inside fastball! ;)

Speaking of this, Barry Bonds is now on my TV complaining about being
hounded about steriods.

> KeS
>
> (It does seem appropriate to be watching bodybuilding in High Definition,
> though!)

If you have a high def TV, Discovery HD has some great scenes. I usually
turn on the HD channels and watch while I'm listening to music. Some of
the scenery is stunning.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bob M wrote:

> > (It does seem appropriate to be watching bodybuilding in High Definition,
> > though!)

> If you have a high def TV, Discovery HD has some great scenes. I usually
> turn on the HD channels and watch while I'm listening to music. Some of
> the scenery is stunning.

Yes, I think it's hilarious that I'll sit there watching "Morocco, Land of
Falafel" time after time. "Oo, look at the COLOR!" Apparently turning my
chair around to look out the window at the real world is much less
gratifying. ;)

KeS

"Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> I figured as much. While steriods have been used forever in bodybuilding,
> I was hoping to see more of a move toward natural bodybuilding.

I haven't followed this for a number of years, either, but I seem to recall
that there was a competition geared specifically for people who aren't
taking anything. I don't know what it's called or what the rules are, but I
believe it exists.
Mark

260/236/200 since: 18/01/05

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:14:27 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bob M wrote:
>
>> > (It does seem appropriate to be watching bodybuilding in High

>> Definition,
>> > though!)

>> If you have a high def TV, Discovery HD has some great scenes. I
>> usually
>> turn on the HD channels and watch while I'm listening to music. Some of
>> the scenery is stunning.

> Yes, I think it's hilarious that I'll sit there watching "Morocco, Land
> of
> Falafel" time after time. "Oo, look at the COLOR!" Apparently turning
> my
> chair around to look out the window at the real world is much less
> gratifying. ;)
>
> KeS

Well, I only watch about 1/2 hour per day of TV, mainly to wind down after
a long day. But I really can't say that I can go outside (currenlty white
with no leaves on the trees) and see surf pounding over cliffs, endagered
species, places in Africa, China, Europe, etc.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply