OT,OT,OT.-BYE.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> [...]

> same thing, lo and behold, there is Mr. Varney of Kentucky complaining about all the OT's.
>
> Main Entry: sis·sy Pronunciation: 'si-sE Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural sissies
> Etymology: sis Date: 1891
> : an effeminate man or boy; also : a timid or cowardly person
> - sissy adjective
>
> Merriam-Webster
>
> I am thinking you are a timid person if you can't stand some balance in the OT's.
>

>>Listen closely: if the topic has long since changed from what the subject line indicates, then
>>what is the point of having a subject line at all, if not to indicate what the post is about?
>

> Look at what has happened to "Can We Surrender". It has split into 3 or 4 different threads
> because of posters playing around with the subject heading. One of them has disappeared entirely
> from Google as far as I can tell. Even Google can't keep up with all the foolishness that goes on
> here. I say leave the subject headings alone. When you change them you create nothing but
> confusion. Most subject threads that stay on topic don't last more than a few days anyway. You are
> always creating a tempest in a teapot.
>

>> And off you go with your childish insults, your nonsense about liberals, when it comes down to
>> nothing of the sort. "The liberals" are only a figment of your tired, limited imagination. And
>> what "****" of mine have you had to put up with?
>

> The **** I am talking about is what you have so far contributed to this thread. There is nothing
> constructive - just whine, whine, whine!
>

>> "Any moron" should not have to put up with endless threads that have nothing to do with the
>> subject line. There is nothing more off-putting for a reader to keep finding out that what
>> appears to be the topic for discussion after discussion is quite the opposite - especially when
>> the fix is so simple.
>

> If a thread is very long chances are that it is off topic even if recumbents are still being
> discussed. It is inevitable. Threads get off topic for reasons other than political rants. I have
> seen it over and over. It is impossible to stay on topic very long unless you have a moderator (in
> essence an editor) to see to it.
>
> You say the fix is simple, but it is not. To have more than one thread going with the same subject
> heading, although slightly varied, is confusing - not to me, but to many others. But even I do not
> like to hunt around to find the proper thread because of minor variations in the wording of the
> subject heading.
>
> Nonetheless, I do know what you are talking about and I can appreciate what you are saying, but it
> won't work on this newsgroup. It won't work because we are all mature intelligent folks here and
> when something gets said that is off the mark, someone else is going to have something to say
> about it. It is inevitable. What you want will only work with an editor (moderator).

suppose that "sissy boy" doesn't either. And what I have said, if you'll actually read it, has
nothing to do with conservatives or liberals - it's simply that the subject line should match the
subject. Period. Got it now?

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"bill g" skrev...
> If they are inconsiderate enough to start or continue OT threads you don't really think they will
> go to the trouble of a filterable title do you? Then folks could skip 'em and the OT posters
> wouldn't get their desired audience. What amazes me are the folks who continue to argue the OT
> posts trying to get in the last word when none of the parties are likely to suddenly say, "Gee you
> are correct. Thanks for setting me straight."

Well I don't think they would, no. I've more or less given up on netiquette wars anyway. But if OT
can't be filtered automagically it brings us back to the problem of having to killfile three threads
instead of one when someone wants to set things straight and add OT to the thread. Or more if its a
big thread and the "OT-inserter" gets really zealous.

Anyway I will set a good example along the lines you propose: "Gee I'm correct. Thanks for letting
me set you straight." Oh wait... that wasn't it, was it. ;o)

Mikael

news:<[email protected]>...

> "Larry Varney" skrev...
> > Gee, so now if the subject line no longer reflects the subject, it should remain the same?
> > Otherwise, changing it means that person who changed it is a "dork"?
>
> Yes, if they do like they usually do. "Re: Bigha comments" goes way off topic. (Not that listening
> to LL was any fun) Some wellmeaning soul sticks an OT in front. Now its called "OT Re: Bigha
> comments" Unfortunately when the next person replies it will be "Re: OT Re:Bigha comments". Thats
> three threads to killfile instead of one unless you got it set up to ignore anything that has an
> "OT" in it. Then theres people who take it to the logical limit and change the name every time
> they reply.
>
> Anyway since people think its their godgiven right to toppost, not trim off stuff they are
> replying to etc. why should they have to stick OT on threads. ;-) We also need more crossposting.
>
> Mikael

An excellent post Mikael. I agree with everything you say (except that bit about cross posting - are
you serious?). And I now understand better than I did how threads can get so messed up when someone
belatedly tacks on OT and then it turns into RE: OT. You have made my point about changing subject
headings causing nothing but confusion better that I could have myself. I think in the future I will
only stay with the original subject heading and if someone wants to change it, then they will lose
me (hey, then that will be one way of getting rid of me!).

Do not give up on the netiquette wars. They are important. We librarians spend our lives trying to
get things organized right or else we would never be able to find any thing in our libraries.
Without organization, a library is just a collection of books that is useless to everyone.
Organization is of the essence!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
>You have made my point about changing subject headings causing nothing but confusion better that I
>could have myself. Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I find it amusing that it is "confusing" when the subject header changes, but apparently it is
not "confusing" when the subject header has no relationship with the actual subject!

--

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:21:45 -0600, bill g <[email protected]> wrote:

> What amazes me are the folks who continue to argue the OT posts trying to get in the last word
> when none of the parties are likely to suddenly say, "Gee you are correct. Thanks for setting me
> straight."

Gee. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]

> suppose that "sissy boy" doesn't either. And what I have said, if you'll actually read it, has
> nothing to do with conservatives or liberals - it's simply that the subject line should match the
> subject. Period. Got it now?

No, I never get anything you say about anything. You used the word

One question for you though. Do you not know how to edit? How to do a cut and paste operation? Why
have you included all the preceding posts when all you are replying to is just one very small
portion of one of the posts. This is why I do not want folks like you screwing around with the
subject headings. I also do not understand why this thread which you created is separate from
another one with the identical heading which was already on the forum. The ways of Varney, or maybe
it was Google, are mysterious indeed!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> ... One question for you though. Do you not know how to edit? How to do a cut and paste operation?
> Why have you included all the preceding posts when all you are replying to is just one very small
> portion of one of the posts. This is why I do not want folks like you screwing around with the
> subject headings....

"Do *not* edit the original post in your reply. Even if it's 200 lines long, just put your reply at
the top and post the whole furshlugginer thing again. This makes the people who don't know how to
use newsreaders feel more comfortable and keeps them on their computers longer, so they don't have
time to go out there and buy bikes the rest of us want." - Warren Block, "Rules of the NG"

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Edward Dolan wrote:
> Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... [...]
>

>>suppose that "sissy boy" doesn't either. And what I have said, if you'll actually read it, has
>>nothing to do with conservatives or liberals - it's simply that the subject line should match the
>>subject. Period. Got it now?
>

> No, I never get anything you say about anything. You used the word

> One question for you though. Do you not know how to edit? How to do a cut and paste operation? Why
> have you included all the preceding posts when all you are replying to is just one very small
> portion of one of the posts. This is why I do not want folks like you screwing around with the
> subject headings. I also do not understand why this thread which you created is separate from
> another one with the identical heading which was already on the forum. The ways of Varney, or
> maybe it was Google, are mysterious indeed!
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Quite simple, Dolan - as you have shown, when you edit out what I have written, then how can we see
if you're correct or not in your statement

Previously you whined when I dared to cut anything from a post - and god forbid that I change the
header! - and now you're whining that I'm not editing! Make up your mind!

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Edward Dolan wrote:

> >You have made my point about changing subject headings causing nothing but confusion better that
> >I could have myself.

> I find it amusing that it is "confusing" when the subject header changes, but apparently it is
> not "confusing" when the subject header has no relationship with the actual subject!

It is all a question of continuity which takes precedence over logic. The world is full of these
kind of conundrums as is the human mind itself.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Edward Dolan wrote:

> > Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>... [...]
> >

> >>suppose that "sissy boy" doesn't either. And what I have said, if you'll actually read it, has
> >>nothing to do with conservatives or liberals - it's simply that the subject line should match
> >>the subject. Period. Got it now?
> >

> > No, I never get anything you say about anything. You used the word

> > One question for you though. Do you not know how to edit? How to do a cut and paste operation?
> > Why have you included all the preceding posts when all you are replying to is just one very
> > small portion of one of the posts. This is why I do not want folks like you screwing around with
> > the subject headings. I also do not understand why this thread which you created is separate
> > from another one with the identical heading which was already on the forum. The ways of Varney,
> > or maybe it was Google, are mysterious indeed!
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Quite simple, Dolan - as you have shown, when you edit out what I have written, then how can we
> see if you're correct or not in your statement

I am always very careful to include that part of the text to which I am responding. However, you had
already set up the discussion with your latest post, so I saw no point in going back and including
the original post. Here is your complete text of the original that is in question:

whether or not I agree with what the post contains. Listen closely: if the topic has long since
changed from what the subject line indicates, then what is the point of having a subject line at
all, if not to indicate what the post is about? And off you go with your childish insults, your
nonsense about liberals, when it comes down to nothing of the sort. "The liberals" are only a
figment of your tired, limited imagination. And what "****" of mine have you had to put up with?
"Any moron" should not have to put up with endless threads that have nothing to do with the subject
line. There is nothing more off-putting for a reader to keep finding out that what appears to be the
topic for discussion after discussion is quite the opposite - especially when the fix is so simple.

was refer to your own previous post. This is very easy to do on the Google web site - maybe not so
easy to do with some newsreaders.

> Previously you whined when I dared to cut anything from a post - and god forbid that I change the
> header! - and now you're whining that I'm not editing! Make up your mind!

It is all about using our own judgement but at the same time being fair to the previous post which I
consider to be very important. If I am responding to the post in toto, then I will include all of
it, but if I am just responding to a single paragraph, then I will just include that.

I am not much in favor of just extracting single sentences and responding that way. Usually
sentences are part and parcel of the paragraph they are embedded in and should not be pulled out
because context is all important. Basically, you have to look at it from the outside reader's
viewpoint. Can he make sense out of the single message without having to go back and review the
history of the thread?

Mr. Sherman is one of the chief offenders of late. He is editing too severely. It is better to do
what you do, include the complete previous post, than to do what he does. Selective editing for
the purpose of scoring a cheap shot is a capital offense and only rogues and scoundrels do that
sort of thing. Just try to be fair to whoever it is you are writing to - no matter how ******
off you are at him! ;)

One other small point. It is better too not to be breaking down a message sentence by sentence and
responding that way. It is far better to take the full paragraph and respond to it that way.

Barry is notorious for attacking a message sentence by sentence and it makes him look like an idiot.
I have occasionally done this myself, but I always feel badly about it afterward. So I have resolved
not to do that anymore (with some exceptions). We are all intelligent enough people on this
newsgroup to be able to take things by the paragraph rather than by the sentence. Only children need
to take things sentence by sentence. We need to get hung up on thoughts and not words.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

[...]

I also do not understand why this thread
> which you [Mr. Varney] created is separate from another one with the identical heading which was
> already on the forum. The ways of Varney, or maybe it was Google, are mysterious indeed!

E Gads! I finally figured it out why there are two threads here that look almost exactly alike, but
turn out to have one small difference. First look at the present subject heading for this thread:

Re: OT,OT,OT.-BYE

Now look at the subject heading for that other thread:

Re: OT,OT,OT.-BYE.

Note the period after BYE. That is the only difference. Now you see the danger of playing around
with subject headings.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>

>>>You have made my point about changing subject headings causing nothing but confusion better that
>>>I could have myself.
>

>> I find it amusing that it is "confusing" when the subject header changes, but apparently it is
>> not "confusing" when the subject header has no relationship with the actual subject!
>

> It is all a question of continuity which takes precedence over logic. The world is full of these
> kind of conundrums as is the human mind itself.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

ROTFL! Yes, I can see how you're letting almost anything "take precedence over logic". It's not a
conundrum, Dolan.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> ... only rogues and scoundrels do that sort of thing....

Takes one to know one.

***CHEAP SHOT***

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

> [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
> :<[email protected]>...
>
> [...]
>
> I also do not understand why this thread
> > which you [Mr. Varney] created is separate from another one with the identical heading which was
> > already on the forum. The ways of Varney, or maybe it was Google, are mysterious indeed!
>
> E Gads! I finally figured it out why there are two threads here that look almost exactly
> alike, but turn out to have one small difference. First look at the present subject heading
> for this thread:
>
> Re: OT,OT,OT.-BYE
>
> Now look at the subject heading for that other thread:
>
> Re: OT,OT,OT.-BYE.
>
> Note the period after BYE. That is the only difference. Now you see the danger of playing around
> with subject headings.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Ed,

I can't sit here quietly any longer. Yup, you done it. Your ramblings finally got to me. I've been
trying to catch up on the recumbent news scene and everywhere I go there's a change of subject
usually originated by you. I click on hoping to find something useful or interesting based on the
subject and I find another rant on some
geopoliticalphysicaldemographicliberalconservativeholdmedownandpourvitrolicrantsdownmythroat musings
by you. And you say don't change the subject heading. Well Ed, you're wrong. I know it's hard for
your ego to admit that. It's okay Ed, you can start with small steps. You know they have programs
that work using the one day at a time approach. Just a small step, Ed. We could call it the "One
Thread At a Time" program. Or maybe it should be "Eight Steps For Posting on Forums". Oprah might
even invite you on as a guest. You never know. Just step up and say "Hi, I'm Ed. And I'm an
Offthreadaholic".

Slow Joe Recumbo

[email protected] (Joe Keenan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ed,
>
> I can't sit here quietly any longer. Yup, you done it. Your ramblings finally got to me. I've been
> trying to catch up on the recumbent news scene and everywhere I go there's a change of subject
> usually originated by you. I click on hoping to find something useful or interesting based on the
> subject and I find another rant on some
> geopoliticalphysicaldemographicliberalconservativeholdmedownandpourvitrolicrantsdownmythroat
> musings by you. And you say don't change the subject heading. Well Ed, you're wrong. I know it's
> hard for your ego to admit that. It's okay Ed, you can start with small steps. You know they have
> programs that work using the one day at a time approach. Just a small step, Ed. We could call it
> the "One Thread At a Time" program. Or maybe it should be "Eight Steps For Posting on Forums".
> Oprah might even invite you on as a guest. You never know. Just step up and say "Hi, I'm Ed. And
> I'm an Offthreadaholic".
>
> Slow Joe Recumbo

My sentiments exactly, Joe. Frankly, all the off-topic spam currently infecting this board turns me
off--it is quickly making this forum all but worthless. Please post your feelings on
war/peace/politics to the appropriate forum. When I click on a BIGhA thread with 200+ replies
recorded within the last two weeks, only to find out that 90% of the posts are off-topic rubbish...
I simply do not have the time to wade through that much **** hoping to find something relevant to
recumbent bicycles. I don't expect I'll be back here anytime soon. I'll be at bentrideronline.com
where Byran J. Ball is good enough to expunge the rubbish and ban the unruly types.

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

[email protected] (Joe Keenan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]

> Ed,
>
> I can't sit here quietly any longer. Yup, you done it. Your ramblings finally got to me. I've been
> trying to catch up on the recumbent news scene and everywhere I go there's a change of subject
> usually originated by you. I click on hoping to find something useful or interesting based on the
> subject and I find another rant on some
> geopoliticalphysicaldemographicliberalconservativeholdmedownandpourvitrolicrantsdownmythroat
> musings by you. And you say don't change the subject heading. Well Ed, you're wrong. I know it's
> hard for your ego to admit that. It's okay Ed, you can start with small steps. You know they have
> programs that work using the one day at a time approach. Just a small step, Ed. We could call it
> the "One Thread At a Time" program. Or maybe it should be "Eight Steps For Posting on Forums".
> Oprah might even invite you on as a guest. You never know. Just step up and say "Hi, I'm Ed. And
> I'm an Offthreadaholic".
>
> Slow Joe Recumbo

Nope, you are quite incorrect in all your accusations against me. I have never initiated a change of
subject within a thread. Admittedly, I do ramble and then others pick up on my rambling at which
point we are off to the races. But if you investigate carefully, you will find that I am always
responding to some remark that is off the subject of recumbents and is political.

Also I have never played around with subject headings for threads either. But once someone has
started a new subject heading thread when the old one would do just fine then it will invariably
require a response from yours truly.

Let's face it Joe, I have a knack for saying interesting things in an interesting way that gets
everyone all riled up and wanting to get in their two cents worth. That is OK by me, because by the
time I have posted in response to an off the mark comment, we can assume the thread has already been
ruined and all I am doing is adding fuel to the fire.

However, I have decided to cut back in my posting to this newsgroup and so I will let some things
slide by from now on in the interest of group harmony. I will only respond in the future to
egregious examples of subject thread violations by the liberal nuts and screwballs who continue to
infest this newsgroup. My only exception to this new policy will be as always the notorious Mr.
Sherman who will always rate my special attention. But Mr. Sherman never starts these sort of
imbroglios either and he gets unjustly blamed the same as I do. But anyway, if he will stop, I
will stop!

Any peacemakers out there?

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Let's face it Joe, I have a knack for saying interesting things in an interesting way that gets
> everyone all riled up and wanting to get in their two cents worth.
> >
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I think you should replace the word "interesting" with "dumb."

[email protected] (Hashim El Amin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Edward Dolan wrote:

> > Let's face it Joe, I have a knack for saying interesting things in an interesting way that gets
> > everyone all riled up and wanting to get in their two cents worth.

> I think you should replace the word "interesting" with "dumb."

No, if I were saying really dumb things no one would respond to my posts. Even the fact that you
have responded to my post is proof positive that I am saying interesting things in an
interesting way.

Dumbness is universally dismissed. Everyone understands it and makes allowances for it. You are only
compelled to respond when a belief or opinion which you hold has been adequately challenged, but if
the challenge is perceived as dumb, you will not respond but will instead dismiss it outright. I too
always consider a post I am responding to whether or not it is sufficiently intelligent to make it
worth my while.

Most posters on this newsgroup are more than intelligent even if wrongheaded. There are other
newsgroups that I am investigating where this is not the case. Their posts are all just dumb, dumber
and dumbest. We are lucky that we have found this newsgroup as it is a cut above most of the others.

Just because I am calling everyone an idiot and a moron doesn't mean they are. It is just my way of
expressing disagreement - strongly!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Hashim El Amin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Let's face it Joe, I have a knack for saying interesting things in an interesting way that gets
> > everyone all riled up and wanting to get in their two cents worth.
> > >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> I think you should replace the word "interesting" with "dumb."

I sure wish Hashim had bitten his tongue .. or should that be fingers .... as I have frequently in
the past few months, so as not to extend an unproductive discussion.

Hoping that Mr. Dolan will be as good as his word: "However, I have decided to cut back in my
posting to this newsgroup and so I will let some things slide by from now on in the interest of
group harmony."

I have enjoyed reading the many ON-topic posts over the past several years (including a few from Mr.
Dolan). This group has been VERY helpful to me in selecting, modifying, and "accessorizing" my
bikes. I've also gotten some excellent recommendations on recumbent-friendly tours and day-rides.

For years I have recommended arbr to those who want information about taking up recumbent riding. I
have discontinued those referrals, but am encouraged that Mr. Dolan is offering to do his part in
allowing arbr to become arbr once again. As much as I disagree with his political views, I have to
agree he is not entirely to blame. To others (and Tom, I enjoy your posts ESPECIALLY since you have
cut back on those DAMNED footnotes ;): please let the OT posts die so that we can look forward to
helpful, meaningful and consistently RELEVANT threads.

I really find the idea repugnant that a group needs to be censored, especially when those doing the
censoring, of course, have their own biases about what should and should not be presented. Ever the
optimist I guess, I hope we can restore arbr to what it once was: Valuable recumbent-related input
from a diverse demographic (both culturally and "recumbent-ly" diverse).

Come back Ed Wong, Chris Jordan, Josh Goldberg, et al. We NEED you!!

Now that I've done my part to extend an OT(?) thread ..... I promise to go back to my tongue-biting.

DeVon Vision R44 USS (double Pantour)

DeVon wrote:
> ... To others (and Tom, I enjoy your posts ESPECIALLY since you have cut back on those DAMNED
> footnotes ;)...

DeVon,

[1]

> Come back Ed Wong, Chris Jordan, Josh Goldberg, et al. We NEED you!!..

Mr. Goldberg posted three times to a.r.b.r. yesterday (Wednesday, November 26, 2003). He is posting
under the name "EVSolutions" which is presumably related to his power-assist business.

[1] You're welcome ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth