OT:Park Closes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fredzep

Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that adjoins the park where I mostly ride.
The trails were nothing but ice with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the conditions my normally
one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There
was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking in the lot after hours. In all my years of going
to the local parks hiking and riding I never heard of anybody being issued a ticket for this even
the people that ride at night. The county officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and
getting an earful from the guy he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I
asked him if this was something new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county
official said that they had to start enforcing the park hours rule. This was in a county park. The
park I usually ride in is a state park. I'm going to have to look into whether they are going to
start enforcing the park hours there since I often finish my rides after dark, particularly when the
days are still short. The ticket is for forty-seven dollars.

Fredzep

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
> The county officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and getting an earful from the guy
> he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I asked him if this was something
> new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county official said that they had to
> start enforcing the park hours rule.

Sounds like a talk with your county council is in order. Nice, polite, but state your case and tell
them that ticketing someone for being late is not appropriate, and that the parks are there to be
used, not to generate revenue for the codes enforcement / police.

--Kamus

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that adjoins the park where I
> mostly ride. The trails were nothing but ice with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the
> conditions my normally one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back
> to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking in the lot
> after hours. In all my years of going to the local parks hiking and riding I never heard of
> anybody being issued a ticket for this even the people that ride at night. The county
> officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and getting an earful from the guy he was
> giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I asked him if this was something
> new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county official said that they
> had to start enforcing the park hours rule. This was in a county park. The park I usually
> ride in is a state park. I'm going to have to look into whether they are going to start
> enforcing the park hours there since I often finish my rides after dark, particularly when
> the days are still short. The ticket is for forty-seven dollars.
>
> Fredzep
>
>

Rather than give tickets here they once tried to "impound" the cars by locking the gate at 6 p.m.
whether the lot was empty or not. Well that didn't last long because someone had a big truck in the
lot and ripped the gate, concrete and all, right out of the ground and tossed it over an embankment.
They never did replace that gate.
--

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
> When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking
> in the lot after hours.

I agree with the previous poster; you should contact the city council and ask them to put a specific
closing time on the park. "Dusk" or "dark" is too subjective and variable. Or at least ask them to
pick a specific time after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm.

From what I've seen, most parks do close after dark (I've always wondered how people go night
riding, this being the case). Can't blame them, really
- if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the late-night keggers.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

On 19 Feb 2004 16:37:35 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
>> When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking
>> in the lot after hours.
>
>I agree with the previous poster; you should contact the city council and ask them to put a
>specific closing time on the park. "Dusk" or "dark" is too subjective and variable. Or at least ask
>them to pick a specific time after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm.
>
>From what I've seen, most parks do close after dark (I've always wondered how people go night
>riding, this being the case). Can't blame them, really
>- if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the late-night keggers.

The closing time was posted (1/2 hour after sunset), it was never enforced before. Alot of people
use the park after hours to avoid the crowds. For some reason there is very little partying in the
park at any time.

Fredzep

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:19:31 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
>> The county officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and getting an earful from the guy
>> he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I asked him if this was
>> something new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county official said that
>> they had to start enforcing the park hours rule.
>
>Sounds like a talk with your county council is in order. Nice, polite, but state your case and tell
>them that ticketing someone for being late is not appropriate, and that the parks are there to be
>used, not to generate revenue for the codes enforcement / police.
>
>--Kamus

I paid the ticket because it was from the county. This would have meant a really long day in the
county court house. Even if I won it would not have been practical. The park closing time was 1/2
hour after sunset but was not previously enforced. The sunset was at
5:30pm, my ticket was written out at 6:10pm.

Fredzep

BB wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
>
>>When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking
>>in the lot after hours.
>
>
> I agree with the previous poster; you should contact the city council and ask them to put a
> specific closing time on the park. "Dusk" or "dark" is too subjective and variable. Or at least
> ask them to pick a specific time after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm.
>
> From what I've seen, most parks do close after dark (I've always wondered how people go night
> riding, this being the case). Can't blame them, really
> - if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the late-night keggers.
>

The state park where I ride also closes 30 minutes after sunset. And they've got one of those charts
from the almanac posted right there, showing the official sunset time for each day.

Kathleen

"Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that adjoins the park where I mostly
> ride. The trails were nothing but ice with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the conditions my
> normally one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back to the car it was
> 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking in the lot after hours. In all my
> years of going to the local parks hiking and riding I never heard of anybody being issued a ticket
> for this even the people that ride at night. The county officer was still in the lot giving
> another ticket and getting an earful from the guy he was giving it to as he came out of the park.
> When he was done I asked him if this was something new. The officer was actually apologetic and
> said that some county official said that they had to start enforcing the park hours rule. This was
> in a county park. The park I usually ride in is a state park. I'm going to have to look into
> whether they are going to start enforcing the park hours there since I often finish my rides after
> dark, particularly when the days are still short. The ticket is for forty-seven dollars.
>
> Fredzep
>

Find a new place to park if they're just goimg to ticket cars in the lot.

ctg

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:08:21 GMT, "ctg" <n/a@n/a.com> wrote:

>

>Find a new place to park if they're just goimg to ticket cars in the lot.
>
>ctg
>

That's what I'm going to do.

Fredzep

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep <[email protected]> wrote:

. Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that .adjoins the park where I
mostly ride. The trails were nothing but ice .with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the
conditions my normally .one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back
to .the car it was 6:35pm.

Good. Serves you right, for using an automobile.

There was a ticket under the wiper that was for .parking in the lot after hours. In all my years of
going to the local .parks hiking and riding I never heard of anybody being issued a ticket .for this
even the people that ride at night. The county officer was .still in the lot giving another ticket
and getting an earful from the .guy he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done
I .asked him if this was something new. The officer was actually .apologetic and said that some
county official said that they had to .start enforcing the park hours rule.
. This was in a county park. The park I usually ride in is a .state park. I'm going to have to
look into whether they are going to .start enforcing the park hours there since I often
finish my rides .after dark, particularly when the days are still short. The ticket is .for
forty-seven dollars. . .Fredzep

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On 19 Feb 2004 16:37:35 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

.On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote: .> When I got back to .> the car it was 6:35pm.
There was a ticket under the wiper that was for .> parking in the lot after hours. . .I agree with
the previous poster; you should contact the city council and .ask them to put a specific closing
time on the park.

Won't work. Mountain bikers can't read, at least if there are words with more than one syl-la-ble.

"Dusk" or "dark" is .too subjective and variable. Or at least ask them to pick a specific time
.after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm. . .From what I've seen, most parks do close
after dark (I've always wondered .how people go night riding, this being the case). Can't blame
them, really .- if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the .late-
night keggers.

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:17:48 -0500, Fredzep <[email protected]> wrote:

.On 19 Feb 2004 16:37:35 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote: . .>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004
00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote: .>> When I got back to .>> the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket
under the wiper that was for .>> parking in the lot after hours. .> .>I agree with the previous
poster; you should contact the city council and .>ask them to put a specific closing time on the
park. "Dusk" or "dark" is .>too subjective and variable. Or at least ask them to pick a specific
time .>after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm. .> .>From what I've seen, most parks do
close after dark (I've always wondered .>how people go night riding, this being the case). Can't
blame them, really .>- if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the .>late-
night keggers. . . .The closing time was posted (1/2 hour after sunset),

Then you have no reason to complain.

it was never .enforced before. Alot of people use the park after hours to avoid the .crowds. For
some reason there is very little partying in the park at .any time. . .Fredzep

===

Status
Not open for further replies.