OT:Park Closes...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Fredzep, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that adjoins the park where I mostly ride.
    The trails were nothing but ice with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the conditions my normally
    one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There
    was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking in the lot after hours. In all my years of going
    to the local parks hiking and riding I never heard of anybody being issued a ticket for this even
    the people that ride at night. The county officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and
    getting an earful from the guy he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I
    asked him if this was something new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county
    official said that they had to start enforcing the park hours rule. This was in a county park. The
    park I usually ride in is a state park. I'm going to have to look into whether they are going to
    start enforcing the park hours there since I often finish my rides after dark, particularly when the
    days are still short. The ticket is for forty-seven dollars.

    Fredzep

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
    > The county officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and getting an earful from the guy
    > he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I asked him if this was something
    > new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county official said that they had to
    > start enforcing the park hours rule.

    Sounds like a talk with your county council is in order. Nice, polite, but state your case and tell
    them that ticketing someone for being late is not appropriate, and that the parks are there to be
    used, not to generate revenue for the codes enforcement / police.

    --Kamus

  3. In article <qmh830dkiuv[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that adjoins the park where I
    > mostly ride. The trails were nothing but ice with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the
    > conditions my normally one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back
    > to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking in the lot
    > after hours. In all my years of going to the local parks hiking and riding I never heard of
    > anybody being issued a ticket for this even the people that ride at night. The county
    > officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and getting an earful from the guy he was
    > giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I asked him if this was something
    > new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county official said that they
    > had to start enforcing the park hours rule. This was in a county park. The park I usually
    > ride in is a state park. I'm going to have to look into whether they are going to start
    > enforcing the park hours there since I often finish my rides after dark, particularly when
    > the days are still short. The ticket is for forty-seven dollars.
    >
    > Fredzep

    Rather than give tickets here they once tried to "impound" the cars by locking the gate at 6 p.m.
    whether the lot was empty or not. Well that didn't last long because someone had a big truck in the
    lot and ripped the gate, concrete and all, right out of the ground and tossed it over an embankment.
    They never did replace that gate.
    --
    _________________________

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
    > When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking
    > in the lot after hours.

    I agree with the previous poster; you should contact the city council and ask them to put a specific
    closing time on the park. "Dusk" or "dark" is too subjective and variable. Or at least ask them to
    pick a specific time after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm.

    From what I've seen, most parks do close after dark (I've always wondered how people go night
    riding, this being the case). Can't blame them, really
    - if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the late-night keggers.

  5. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    On 19 Feb 2004 16:37:35 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
    >> When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking
    >> in the lot after hours.
    >
    >I agree with the previous poster; you should contact the city council and ask them to put a
    >specific closing time on the park. "Dusk" or "dark" is too subjective and variable. Or at least ask
    >them to pick a specific time after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm.
    >
    >From what I've seen, most parks do close after dark (I've always wondered how people go night
    >riding, this being the case). Can't blame them, really
    >- if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the late-night keggers.

    The closing time was posted (1/2 hour after sunset), it was never enforced before. Alot of people
    use the park after hours to avoid the crowds. For some reason there is very little partying in the
    park at any time.

    Fredzep

  6. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:19:31 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
    >> The county officer was still in the lot giving another ticket and getting an earful from the guy
    >> he was giving it to as he came out of the park. When he was done I asked him if this was
    >> something new. The officer was actually apologetic and said that some county official said that
    >> they had to start enforcing the park hours rule.
    >
    >Sounds like a talk with your county council is in order. Nice, polite, but state your case and tell
    >them that ticketing someone for being late is not appropriate, and that the parks are there to be
    >used, not to generate revenue for the codes enforcement / police.
    >
    >--Kamus

    I paid the ticket because it was from the county. This would have meant a really long day in the
    county court house. Even if I won it would not have been practical. The park closing time was 1/2
    hour after sunset but was not previously enforced. The sunset was at
    5:30pm, my ticket was written out at 6:10pm.

    Fredzep

  7. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    BB wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote:
    >
    >>When I got back to the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking
    >>in the lot after hours.
    >

    > I agree with the previous poster; you should contact the city council and ask them to put a
    > specific closing time on the park. "Dusk" or "dark" is too subjective and variable. Or at least
    > ask them to pick a specific time after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm.
    >
    > From what I've seen, most parks do close after dark (I've always wondered how people go night
    > riding, this being the case). Can't blame them, really
    > - if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the late-night keggers.

    The state park where I ride also closes 30 minutes after sunset. And they've got one of those charts
    from the almanac posted right there, showing the official sunset time for each day.

    Kathleen

  8. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that adjoins the park where I mostly
    > ride. The trails were nothing but ice with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the conditions my
    > normally one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back to the car it was
    > 6:35pm. There was a ticket under the wiper that was for parking in the lot after hours. In all my
    > years of going to the local parks hiking and riding I never heard of anybody being issued a ticket
    > for this even the people that ride at night. The county officer was still in the lot giving
    > another ticket and getting an earful from the guy he was giving it to as he came out of the park.
    > When he was done I asked him if this was something new. The officer was actually apologetic and
    > said that some county official said that they had to start enforcing the park hours rule. This was
    > in a county park. The park I usually ride in is a state park. I'm going to have to look into
    > whether they are going to start enforcing the park hours there since I often finish my rides after
    > dark, particularly when the days are still short. The ticket is for forty-seven dollars.
    >
    > Fredzep

    Find a new place to park if they're just goimg to ticket cars in the lot.

    ctg

  9. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:08:21 GMT, "ctg" <n/[email protected]/a.com> wrote:

    >Find a new place to park if they're just goimg to ticket cars in the lot.
    >
    >ctg

    That's what I'm going to do.

    Fredzep

  10. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep <[email protected]> wrote:

    . Three days ago I went on a hike in a local foot only park that .adjoins the park where I
    mostly ride. The trails were nothing but ice .with a few small sections of dirt. Due to the
    conditions my normally .one hour and 20 minute walk took me over two hours. When I got back
    to .the car it was 6:35pm.

    Good. Serves you right, for using an automobile.

[...]

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  11. On 19 Feb 2004 16:37:35 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    .On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote: .> When I got back to .> the car it was 6:35pm.
    There was a ticket under the wiper that was for .> parking in the lot after hours. . .I agree with
    the previous poster; you should contact the city council and .ask them to put a specific closing
    time on the park.

    Won't work. Mountain bikers can't read, at least if there are words with more than one syl-la-ble.

    "Dusk" or "dark" is .too subjective and variable. Or at least ask them to pick a specific time
    .after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm. . .From what I've seen, most parks do close
    after dark (I've always wondered .how people go night riding, this being the case). Can't blame

  12. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:17:48 -0500, Fredzep <[email protected]> wrote:

    .On 19 Feb 2004 16:37:35 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote: . .>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004
    00:41:26 -0500, Fredzep wrote: .>> When I got back to .>> the car it was 6:35pm. There was a ticket
    under the wiper that was for .>> parking in the lot after hours. .> .>I agree with the previous
    poster; you should contact the city council and .>ask them to put a specific closing time on the
    park. "Dusk" or "dark" is .>too subjective and variable. Or at least ask them to pick a specific
    time .>after which police will be ticketing - say, 10pm. .> .>From what I've seen, most parks do
    close after dark (I've always wondered .>how people go night riding, this being the case). Can't
    blame them, really .>- if they don't close, they probably end up being the spot for all the .>late-
    night keggers. . . .The closing time was posted (1/2 hour after sunset),

    Then you have no reason to complain.